Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Worst part about smart hands is you pay them 200 bucks an hour minimum half hour for a stupid task they gently caress up. Or that you have equivalent work being done in two sites and one DC does it with one guy in 45 minutes and the other takes two people 2 hours to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

At one of our locations that we took over as a joint venture they had an old server in place but there was a new Dell in a box on the floor of the server room. Apparently it had been there for months because the I.T. Director for the joint venture partner was super busy. About a year has passed and he suggested putting that server in place to help with a project. I asked for the specs:

Dell R710
24G RAM
8 Gb NICS with TOE and iSCSI
Xeon 5620 processor (2.4Ghz, 12m cache) x2
Perc H700
iDrac Express
5x 300Gb 15K RPM SCSI Drives (all hotswap)

This thing has been in the box for... a year and a half? Two years?

Pretty standard server though low on RAM. We have random R410s chillin since their projects got side tracked but they can just be repurposed for testing stuff. Only issue is they usually only have 12/24GB of RAM so there isn't much you can do with them. And that's the stuff that doesn't get shipped somewhere and racked.

e: oh and don't buy the perc h310 they are poo poo, get a h710 instead.

doomisland fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 15, 2013

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

It always surprises me when I see Xeons in boxes and not trays.

• Locked thread