Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Here are some classic Midelne memoirs, pics included: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2834226&pagenumber=1224&perpage=40#post413450688

And a little something I did at my last job:

:black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Inspector_666 posted:

You have to put at least one reference to Fort Kickass in there, dude.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sterling_Archer posted:

I feel like this is already a little long.

About as long as a novel. Now how about you spell it Novell?

Good luck to you though, that will be a long and tedious job but so worth it to bring them into 2014 tech when it's all done.

And yes, keep us posted. That was a long post but with a lot of good detail, no problem here.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Since you're in Canada, blacksword, you should write the professional letter in English and the mean letter en francais.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

tomapot posted:

my boss was a theater major and the guy I now manage was a stage magician.

Your boss:

Your subordinate:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Kachunkachunk posted:

There's also a dude that shares the name David Gilmour where I work. Can't help but think spacey tunes and thoughts when his e-mails go around.

There's a David Mason at my office, every time he sends an email it triggers this in me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utl0NfisZQE

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know how you could post that without including a link to a reference article.

:golfclap:

I work for an MSP, but spend a good deal of my time at one particular client. I actually enjoy visiting them, they're good people and appreciate my presence. And I never have a hard time with anyone there.

They've been on a hiring spree the past few months and are pretty much out of not only vacant cubicles, but also places to put new desks. They have managed to squeeze in a few more along the outer walls (nice window view!) but due to a shortage of power & network drops, I've not only had to use a bunch of little 8-port switches and PoE injectors to get everyone's stuff connected, I've also had to daisy-chain power strips. Not keen on that. I even concocted one guy's desk out of two teardrop tables:

(New desks have since arrived, he'll build his when he's good & ready)

Just found out a few days ago that they're going to reconfigure one side of the office to make room for more cubicles/desk space. Thus, 50ish users will have to migrate to the other side and double up in already occupied cubicles for a week while it's done. Never have I hoped more deeply for most of them to work from home that week, and for remote access to just work.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The client I work at most frequently issues ThinkPads with ThinkPad OneLink docks. The power adapters are the same, so everybody gets two - one for their dock and one for their laptop.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You need to dress up (and act like) Peter Gibbons meeting with the two Bobs.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I found at my old job that the best way to convey information to that boss was to write all the facts in an email, send it, give him a few minutes to digest it and then go discuss it with him. I did have to give him a few minutes because if I went immediately he'd just want me to verbally repeat what I just sent him. I'd rather he read the whole drat thing first where he can't interrupt it. Plus, the facts and communications are documented that way.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Moey posted:

I probably have missed this, but where are you located at?

I think Alberta, Canada.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Renegret posted:

So, uh, logged into a tool at work and took a look at the URL:

Um...

I remember old Sonicwalls doing that in the status bar.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A ticket came in.... last Friday at 5pm :mad:

Client's server has a folder on it with thousands of duplicate files, would like a list of them.

I eventually find a free app that allows export to .csv for free, run it and send the result. I even get a thank-you email for it on Saturday!

Today client writes back and wants to know, of the 82GB in this folder, how much of that is files 5MB and greater (11GB worth), and how much space would be saved by deleting their duplicates (6.2GB).

I send her these answers, and she'd like to go ahead and delete duplicates 5MB and up.

I'm not much of a scripting guy, but I imagine a batch file could do this - could it?

EDIT: Never mind, looks like nirsoft has what I need!http://www.nirsoft.net/articles/find_duplicate_files.html

Edit 2: Only thing it doesn't do is let me select only the duplicate files.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 12, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hmmmm. I'll play with it and see. The current search result has 1,210 files including originals. Many files have more than one duplicate (I saw one with 13). Hopefully this gives me what I need.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

What kind of server is this? If they're stuck on Windows and you can get them up to 2012, deduplication will work wonders.

2008 (non-r2) SBS. I was able to do what I needed with Duplicate Cleaner Free by Digital Volcano, which is what I used in the first place to list all the duplicate files. Sorted!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

ratbert90 posted:

1) Get drivers
2) Inject into fresh install of Windows 7
3) Create new ghost image
4) Flatten and reinstall.

Outlook 2013 does not support Exchange 2003.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

porktree posted:

A ticket came in.. HR has purchased a half-dozen TV's to display 'Company News' to put in the break rooms. Now they want to know how they get the news from their PC to the TV. Maybe they should have thought about that earlier in the process, but HR.

So, I'm thinking quick and cheap is a bunch of Chromecasts, have one PC with multiple Chrome windows and voila! But this is a little outside my area of expertise. Is that a good way to do it, are there things I could make them buy that would work better? Anyone else doing something similar?

I have a client with four TVs on the walls around the office, normally showing Bloomberg TV, but they did ask me to put on the Olympic hockey games and now March Madness games. Anyway they all use these and there's one computer in the server room as the source. Works great.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

HalloKitty posted:

I can't remember who, and he'll probably chime in on this thread moaning back at me, but in the laptop buying thread there was a guy who posted a photo of his completely ruined HP laptop, covered in duct tape, saying he'd always treated it well.

It was filthy and covered in scuff marks - that's not something that just happens to a laptop that's left alone.

I think people don't realise how much damage they're doing to the machines they have.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552651&pagenumber=212&perpage=40#post429016786

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bravo! If you're leaving any friends behind, see if you can score them an interview too.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Manslaughter posted:

Duct tape one of these to a normal speaker and you're all set! :downs:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A little levity keeps us all sane.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

A termination came in... (not mine!)

I work at an MSP and spend a lot of time at one client, who is growing pretty rapidly. I've been working with this client since the end of September, and in that time I've known of two people getting canned. This is the second guy.

I wasn't there yesterday but I was on Gchat with the office manager, who was working from home. She gave me a heads up that the termination request was incoming, and it was immediate.

Apparently the guy was let go around lunchtime, stormed out, and slammed a handful of change on the floor as he left.

The change will have to be mailed to him.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Godsped posted:

She joked about doing that but instead she's going to sort through all of them.

At least I taught her how to empty the recycling bin and deleted folder

I'm pretty sure this thread was where I learned about a tool that will export emails from Outlook into .pst files by year. It might make her task easier if she uses that - sort thru 2014 emails, then 2013, etc.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The MSP I work for has had the pleasure of offboarding a notoriously difficult client. This is a memory of them from/for the archives:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I once saw desktop PCs running Windows 7 with static page files, set to 18000MB min and max.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fortis posted:

I asked my boss about that right away and he said "we will support whenever people work".

It's a sales driven organization so if the sales reps complain about not being able to make cold calls we need to give it top priority.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Today I accidentally discovered WinKey+Tab on Windows 7.

:aaa:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MJP posted:

Anyone still got a Cryptolocker infection that this could be tested on? https://www.decryptcryptolocker.com/

Man if I wasn't going out of town today for 11 days I'd love to try this on a laptop I haven't wiped yet.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Maybe Real Alternative will do the job.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Not an Anthem posted:

True story I live three blocks or so from real HQ. It's a huge fancy building with landscaping. What the hell do they do anymore?

Produce carbon dioxide?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

anthonypants posted:

An e-mail from the CIO:

So he can keep the System Restore feature!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

pr0digal posted:

I was getting this today
We have , I believe a 10 user licence
If we go over that number you get that message
There are 17 users
I think everyone has NAV open
To check thing
Some people leave it open when they shutdown remote desk top which holds a licemcr
See if you close NAV on other computers, if the error goes away
When I get back my main Admin computer I will quit NAV on every computer I can get to to tonight and test

Dear God, that reminds me so much of my old boss.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

One client I visited asked me to assess their current desktop PCs and recommend upgrades/replacements. For some reason a lot of them had the page file set to exactly 18000 MB.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Rohaq posted:

I honestly didn't believe this would ever happen:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Manslaughter posted:

.Bort!? Who names their file extension .Bort!?

My extension is also named .bort :colbert:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Collateral Damage posted:

Well I can add some complaining of my own re: Lync.. My offsite boss complains if I'm not signed in to lync at all times. If I'm offline when I should be at work he'll call me up and ask where I am.

Just send an email damnit. :mad:

edit: I set myself offline so I can get work done without people messaging me every 5 minutes.

You can use Do Not Disturb.

Still, I'm a bit sad that my favorite client switched to Lync 2013 from Spark.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

m.hache posted:

We had a driver pull away with his cargo doors open once and dump cargo all over the place. We printed his face with "WORLDS BEST DRIVER" and stuck it to the front door of the building for him to see when he came back.

It was the bosses idea.

"My door is always open!"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I work for an MSP and one of our remote access tools is ScreenConnect. It gives you a four letter code to give the customer to join the session.

This happened today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

stubblyhead posted:

Oh god now that's just sick. :barf:

Yep, sounds pretty scuzzy.