Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yay! After months of waiting all of our branch locations are finally free of the pure awfulness that is Frontier Communications.

I was kind of disappointed the agent didn't even bother to ask why we where canceling.... They must know already.

Their network really is horrible and overloaded in places. We had 2 locations that supposedly had DSL at 7Mbps/1Mbps. The modems did sync at that, however it never got above 1.5Mbps. Depending on the time of day it could drop below 500kbps. Calling to try and get it fixed, their customer service would lie to end the phone call as soon as possible; "A tech will be out to look at it", "We will send you a new modem", etc... Only to call back and be told there was no record of the previous call and nothing is wrong. And this was on a multiple location business account. I have to wonder if residential support is even worse...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

hihifellow posted:

..... No ETA, and no indication that anything was wrong anywhere unless you called support and asked.....

Same experience here, however support was always the last to know. I would have 3 branches down at the same time (they are all located in the same area, going through the same "core") and Frontier support would argue there wasn't anything wrong, even more than 30 minutes after the outage started.

They really are bottom of the barrel. Other than Verizon Wireless, I have never really had great service from any telecom company. Its like there is a unwritten rule that they must have bad customer service.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Opening a new branch location in the coming months. Have 2 choices of ISPs; Frontier or Comcast. Frontier has a horrible reputation in this area for slow speeds and awful customer service. While Comcast on the otherhand is the complete opposite. So I already have my mind made up which service I will be getting.

New location had its ground breaking yesterday.. Boss comes in today and hands me a Frontier business card. I guess 2 local Frontier techs attended the groundbreaking, and because of them he wants me to give Frontier "serious consideration" when choosing a provider. I am to mention the tech's name when calling for a quote. I tried in vein to explain that whatever call center lackey I get when I do call them is not going to care nor even likely to know who this person is. He would have none of it. Kept saying "it only makes good business sense to give them a chance!" Ughh....:bang:

I have been on a mission to get rid of Frontier at all our branches and finally achieved just that last week. Now it looks like I am going to be forced to go back to them. :argh:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I have 6 DD-WRT wifi access points at work within range of each other, and all are patched directly into the LAN. What's the term I'm looking for if I want to make them all pretend to have the same MAC for purposes of letting tablets roam around with no break in connectivity? I see there is WDS but that doesn't look optimal since they are all on the same switch (in other words I don't need to depend on them all meshing wirelessly since they all have their own wired connect).

Ubiquiti's UniFi WiFi system does just this... They call it Zero Hand Off.

All APs in the ZH group assume the same MAC address. So all packets from the clients are received by multiple APs. The APs then decide based on signal strength/quality which AP will actually talk back to the client. They do this via a P2P like communications channel between them on the wired side. Clients only ever see a single AP and never have to roam themselves.

This is not something you are going to get on DD-WRT..

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Argh! Changed a location from Frontier to Comcast, only for Comcast to turn out even worse for reliability than Frontier!

I get the impression from the techs that the contractor they hired to run the 1,500ft+ line to the store apparently botched the entire thing. It was strung to the wrong poles, many connections where not crimped properly, etc.. Its amazing it even worked at all.

Wished I had known this before I ported everything over...

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Ugh... Google.. http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=issue&ts=1379995199000&sid=1&iid=043f082bc7cd18e15458318035d9bc7a We use Google Apps.. Emails to our users are taking anywhere from minutes to hours to arrive in their inbox. Emails with attachments are particularly affected.

One guy at our main office scanned & emailed a 20+ page document 12 times from the office MFP before he bothered to tell me he was having problems. Bonus: He has to walk past my office to reach the MFP.

My inbox just got flooded with emails from several users wondering why they haven't received any emails this morning :suicide:. Most where sent more than 3 hours ago.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Is using .local all that bad? I cannot see any major company using Bonjour/ZeroConf, so what exactly is the problem with .local?

My company has been using it for several years now and I've never ran into any issue with it. The AD domain name was actually established well before the company even had a external domain name, so I assume that is why .local was used. Edit: We also have zero Apple products... (thankfully!)

Our external domain name is really long, it would be a major PITA to use that name internally... And all the abbreviated .com forms of it are already registered by others :/

stevewm fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 24, 2013

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nexxai posted:

The main reason against using .local as an internal TLD is that if you ever need to get an SSL certificate for that host - without setting up your own CA - past Nov 2015 won't work: http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/6935/phasing-out-intranet-names-and-ip-addresses-in-ssls

Well... crap... thanks for posting that. First I had heard of this! We do in fact use some SSL certificates with the internal AD name. So I'm either going to have to rename the domain, or setup our own CA..

stevewm
May 10, 2005

blackswordca posted:

Probably a dumb question but is there a maximum latency that RDP can support before its unusable? I got an inherited ticket where the client is on a satellite connection at home and the office is on a satellite connection with a different provider and she is trying to RDP into the office, but keeps on getting the reconnecting box. I am thinking she is boned as without any network congestion or internal latency were looking at 1200ms minimum latency but realistically it would probably be higher. It doesn't look like much has been done, an email was sent out with suggestions but I have no idea of the client has tried anything or if it was even received. I know you can adjust the experience options to reduce the bandwidth usage but im not sure if it will ever be enough.

Remote Desktop 8.0 contains a UDP mode that was designed to work better for high-latency links. (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive...erver-2012.aspx) However it requires the terminal server be Windows Server 2012, and the client minimum Windows 7 SP1 with the RDP 8.0 updates installed.

But even then I doubt it will cope well with a minimum 1000ms latency connection..

So in short, they are pretty much boned.

Edit: Does client not have any other connection available to them? 3/4G celluar?, etc...

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 3, 2013

stevewm
May 10, 2005
User forgot Google Apps password, for the 4th time... since last Thursday.

When a user forgets their password, I always reset it to a temporary password and enable the option so they have to change it on first login. I had to reset this idiot's password twice Thursday, once on Friday, and today he called asking again.

Write the drat thing down somewhere!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

stevewm posted:

User forgot Google Apps password, for the 4th time... since last Thursday.

When a user forgets their password, I always reset it to a temporary password and enable the option so they have to change it on first login. I had to reset this idiot's password twice Thursday, once on Friday, and today he called asking again.

Write the drat thing down somewhere!

My first phone call this morning.... this guy... AGAIN!

He cannot access his email again because its not accepting his password, again.. I discover he is not trying to use the new one I gave him yesterday, but instead one of the several other passwords he has used over the week. Bonus: He also forgot his password to our POS/EDI system; this is a password they have to type in several times per day as the POS/EDI app has a 10 minute idle timeout.

He is a new salesman, only been with the company 3 weeks. I have a feeling he won't last long..

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Knormal posted:

To give you an idea of what our Exchange admins are like, here's the current fight we're having with them. We pay for a Cisco appliance to send encrypted emails. Any email with [SECURE] as the first thing in the subject line gets directed to a secure Cisco site that requires the recipient to register and log in

The local bank I financed my mortgage through uses one of these.. I don't get the point of it either, well at least how that particular institution implements it anyways..

They used it to send me empty loan documents that had zero personal or confidential information on them whatsoever. It was a major pain in the rear end registering for the thing as they had some obscenely complicated password requirements setup on it. Once I filled the forms out, I attached and sent them back like I would any other attachment...

It was the one and only time they used it. Everything else was done via regular attachments.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Hi, it's me! The SysAdmin for your local bank!

I just thought it was so asinine... They send me empty documents with zero information that would even need to be secured. But requested I just scan the filled out documents (now with every single bit of my personal information on them) and send them back via regular mail. What exactly was the point of using the "secure" thing in the first place?!?!

They obviously have trouble with customer's not understanding this system too.. As the email notifying me I had a secure message was immediately followed by a cut and pasted email from the same person several pages long with detailed step by step directions for registering, logging in, and using the "secure" email website.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

TightVNC only allows 8, but it also only accepts 8 so it only has half the problem.

Its actually a problem with all of the VNC forks. The VNC protocol itself is limited to a 8 character password.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I'm actually glad we made the switch to OpenOffice/LibreOffice some time ago.

We do have a handful of Excel 2010 and 2013 licenses for a app we use (its really an Excel macro). The users that have Excel use it only for the macro app and prefer to use LibreOffice Calc for normal spreadsheets over the real Excel!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I feel a bit stupid for asking this... but which vendor these days is better for large (for me at least) desktop purchases? (Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc..)

For the 1st time ever, the higher ups are allowing me to replace many of our old machines all at once. Instead of waiting for them to die off as their policy has been up to this point.

44 machines ranging from 5 to 9 years old, all running XP of course are to be replaced. Only need the desktops, no monitors.

Aside from buying a handful of servers from Dell 3 years ago, we don't really have a established relationship with any large vendor. Desktops have been purchased as needed from various online vendors (Provantage, Amazon, NewEgg, etc..)

stevewm
May 10, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

Look at all these scrubs who don't flatten and reinstall every new computer that comes through the door.

How does licensing work out in that scenario? I only bothered with imaging and sysprep once back around when XP was first released. (Setup a machine, sysprepped it, then copied the image to other machines. When booted each machine asked for the OEM key on the sticker and then booted to the desktop)

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 18, 2013

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have seen now you need to have a VLK/MAK key, which means buying OS licenses for computers that already come with OS licenses....

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Yaos posted:

Edit:

This is correct. Also, there's certs for Microsoft licensing, I'm not joking, that's how complicated this poo poo is.
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/exam.aspx?id=70-671

Yeah, that would never fly in my company.. It was hard enough getting approval to replace most of these computers.

Oh well, imaging wouldn't really save me any time anyways as I don't have any software that really needs to be installed. Our ERP/POS/EDI app is accessed over terminal services. We don't use MS Office at all. And since we use Google Apps, everyone uses the Gmail interface for email. The few things that do need to be installed can be rolled out via PDQ Deploy (LibreOffice, PDF reader, Flash) I can usually uninstall crapware the same way..

stevewm
May 10, 2005

drukqs posted:

its been downloading for 10 minutes and its still at zero percent..

:negative:

last check for updates - - 9/1/2011

I've had 7 do that to me many times... Its actually downloading, but it fails to update the % display. If its not stuck, it will stay at 0% for awhile and then suddenly shoot to 90% when its near completion.

But in some cases I've also had it get stuck at 0% for a long time requiring me to stop and restart it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

guppy posted:

It's been my experience that users don't really have any concept of limitations with regard to technology. Which is why you get questions like "Why doesn't it just work?"

Every now and then someone will ask me something like "But why did it crash? It shouldn't just crash." Which is basically the result of regarding computers as magic boxes. They bought this commercial software -- MS Office, say -- and the idea that it might be in some way imperfect has never occurred to them.

My boss is horrible about this.. Anytime I tell him something can't be done with what we have currently (because he is to drat cheap to upgrade stuff) his favorite line is "With today's technology I can't believe that it won't do that..." I cringe anytime I hear it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

myron cope posted:

Seriously, do people have positive experiences with Java at all?

I once deployed the "Uninstall Java" package from PDQDeploy to every computer in the company.

There where tears... of joy.

So yes, I did have a positive experience where Java was involved.

I am so glad we have zero use for Java.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

Those are regular PoE injectors, they shouldn't kill a computer unless the computer somehow doesn't have an electrically isolated network jack.

It may not be standard PoE... Some "PoE" devices are not standards compliant and just use passive methods where power is always present on certain pairs. Ubiquiti Networks for example does this with a lot of their equipment; 24v DC delivered on the unused pairs and its always present. Plugging a regular Ethernet device into such a power injector could fry it, the injector, or both.

Real 802.3af/at PoE requires a certain resistance value to be present across particular pairs before it will deliver power down the line.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

afflictionwisp posted:

this morning our IPS decided that the SAN replication traffic between two datacenters was botnet command&control

I had something similar happen when the "Heartbleed" bug was first publicized. The IDS/IPS at every branch location decided that a few packets of port 9100 network printer traffic where attempts to exploit the bug. The resulting corrupted print jobs caused several printers to spit out thousands of pages of garbage. To make things worse, we did not know this at first because in typical Sonicwall fashion there was a bug with the IPS rule. It was blocking these packets completely in silence despite it being set to do the opposite. It was not triggering any alerts, did not appear in any logs, etc.. It took several days to track down the source of the problem; we only found out the IPS was blocking the packets once Sonicwall support got involved and found it mentioned in some internal debug log.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

gently caress HP fusers in particular, when they cost $200 and randomly stop working for no apparent reason. Also they're counted as consumables and not covered by the extended warranty. gently caress HP.

HP has nothing on recent Brother models...

Any newer Brother printer that uses the DR720 drums and TN720/750/780 toners has a fuser that will last at most 5,000 pages if you are lucky. The pressure roller in the fuser will start getting very large wrinkles and folds in it leading to the printer wrinkling and even partially folding paper as it passes through the fuser. To top it off, the refurb warranty replacement units Brother sends are even worse. We had many instances where a single toner cartridge would outlast the fuser in a replacement printer.

Brother refuses to acknowledge there is a problem. Getting a warranty replacement from them requires going through their entire tech support script for each and every printer to be replaced even though the problem is exactly the same.

We don't even bother to warranty them anymore. When the fuser does go, the printer gets pitched and replaced with a different manufacturer.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

This is disheartening, they were really great just a few years ago.

Yeah I am not really sure what happened... Previously we used Brother exclusively. There are 20+ older Brother HL5250s and 5370s around the company. Most have 200k+ page counts with no issues. While with the newer models I don't think we've had a single one make it past 15k pages without a major failure.

I've since switched back to HP; using their LaserJet 400/600 Pro models and honestly they are much better. They appear better built, and are much faster than the equivalent Brother models, especially on first page out times.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

go3 posted:

Brothers go in warehouses or other lovely environments

Some of ours are used in very dusty/dirty stores (commercial lumber yards). For the units in that environment I don't expect a very long life out of them, but I at least expect the fuser to last longer than a toner cartridge.

Even the ones in the nice clean offices died the same way.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Looking for a online/cloud/butt backup service recommendation...

Here is my situation: We have multiple branch locations. Each location has a small amount of data, about 10GB or so that doesn't change that much per day. Right now each branch has a Windows server on-site. User files along with a single database are stored on this server and nightly backed up to tape or multiple USB disks. They are supposed to be taken off-site regularly, however this does not always happen.

My ideal situation would have the data just copied back to our central HQ, however said HQ is on a more limited connection and already pushing enough data in/out to make this impractical.

I would like to give online backups a try... But have no idea which service to use. There are so many out there. Any recommendations?

Ideally said service would provide a client I can schedule to upload each branch's data on a nightly basis...

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Dylan16807 posted:

It sounds legitimate. A signed 32 bit timer at 100Hz will overflow on day 248.

Definitely legitimate... I had something similar happen with several Dell switches we have. If IGMP snooping was enabled, a particular counter would overflow after a few months of operation causing the switch to stop switching traffic until it was rebooted. Every switch in that series was affected. This was discovered one day when had an entire rack of switches all come to a halt within minutes of each other. Couldn't even reboot them remotely as the CLI and GUI stopped responding and all the management equipment was connected to said switches.

Had to have someone find and manually pull the plug on each one :/

stevewm
May 10, 2005

m.hache posted:

How do people like this survive day to day life? Do you call the loving police if a bee flies into your car?

Hit the sucker with a blunt object. Case closed.

The owner of the company I work for also rents out several apartment units. Several months ago they had a renter that called maintenance for basically anything he didn't want to do.

He accidentally threw his iPod into the trash, called maintenance and wanted them to search through his trash bags to find it. Animals tore into a trash bag he had left sitting out on the patio over night, he called maintenance to come clean it up. Wasp in the apartment? Yep, called maintenance. (this one happened a few times) Plugged toilet up? Instead of using a plunger like a normal person; call maintenance!

He called several times a week.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

m.hache posted:

The owner of your company is a chump.

Use this knowledge wisely.

The maintenance guy didn't actually go do any of this. They guy was eventually told to stop calling over petty things or they would terminate his lease.

I know I would never ever become a landlord; holy hell some of the things renters do. Getting evicted because you haven't paid rent in 3 months? Sure, smearing poo poo all over the walls, windows, floors, etc.. is a perfectly acceptable thing to do!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
A completely unreadable fax came in!

There appears to be about 5 header lines at the top. So I believe I just received a fax, of a fax, of a fax, of a fax, of a fax! It may have possibly been printed out and then faxed again at some point. Its nothing but a page full of black specks.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Knormal posted:

I don't really know anything about how memory works on a physical level, but wouldn't that pretty significantly reduce the amount available RAM? Especially on a modern system that probably only has one or two actual DIMMs in it?

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/precn/en/Dell-Precision-workstation-Reliable-memory-technology-whitepaper.pdf

Looks like it just maps around the portions that are bad. The only capacity lost is the portion that is bad, not the entire DIMM. This bad memory list is stored in the BIOS along with the DIMMs serial number, so it works even if the DIMM is moved to a different slot.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Have a ticket that is kicking my rear end, we use about a dozen LaserJet Pro 400 M451nw around the office, it is the only model we have. All of a sudden a few weeks ago, I had a CCIE redo our DHCP scope and we racked in a few more switches, maybe it was a coincidence but I have printer issues up the rear end when it was trouble-free before.

We have a few hundred laptops (some Win 7 some Win 8, both have the issue) connecting to the dozen printers, all at once people using the different printers are having them show as "offline" even though they ping fine. Unplugging the ethernet and plugging it back in on the printer doesn't seem to help, though unplugging the printer itself to power cycle the NIC sometimes makes the print jobs go through.

Prints used to be instant and now some jobs will sit and do nothing for an hour then print on their own. USB printing still works fine. What is this madness?

Make sure you don't have something blocking SNMP traffic. Most network printer drivers utilize SNMP to get status and Windows will report a printer offline if it is unable to get a SNMP response.

Alternatively, you can just disable SNMP status, and Windows will always assume the printer is online and ready. Open up the printer's port properties, uncheck "SNMP Status Enabled". The printer should immediately show as online.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MJP posted:

Anyone have any thoughts?

I ran into something similar.. Files opened in Word itself via File/Open always worked fine. Files opened via Explorer would always pause for 1-3 minutes before opening. If you look at the command used to open word files when you double click on them from Explorer, you will notice that its not a simple command line like "c:\word.exe %1", but is instead some DDE call. When you open files from Word itself, it does not appear to make this same DDE call. I believe this causes the difference in behavior.

Using Process Monitor I did finally find the culprit. For some reason, opening Word and Excel files from Explorer was causing Explorer.exe to attempt connection to the UNC path of a long since decommissioned server. It would make a few attempts before giving up and finally launching Word. During this time Explorer would be completely unresponsive.

I fixed it by searching through the registry for every mention of that UNC path and deleting it. After a reboot, the problem was solved.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Anyone have any recommendations for a proper and safe way to backup MS SQL databases off-site/to the cloud?

We have 3 Server 2008 R2 SQL databases, about 67GB in size total. Each database sees 2-5GB of changes per day. Right now we take log backups every hour, and a full backup every night that are stored on removable disks (RDX-like disk cartridges). The full .BAK files as generated by SQL Server are 56GB currently.

My problem is that the sending site has a 10Mbit upload, and only a 6 hour window in which it could be fully utilized. So uploading the .BAK files nightly definitely out of the question.

Does anything exist out there that can perform a safe, off-site backup while only transferring changes/deltas? From what I can find, the general consensus is that the only safe SQL backup is the one generated natively by SQL Server. But .BAK files seem to have so many changes from day to day that it renders delta based solutions (like rsync for example) useless; they end up transferring nearly the entire file again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Not sure where to put this, but anyways. Maybe someone here can help!

We are going to be getting several Motorola ET1 android tablets. They are going to be used for running a handful of internal only apps for inventory scanning. They will be connected to a internal only network with NO internet access. The devices run a fairly stripped down version of Android with no Google services.

The main app we will be using reads its settings from a file on the SD card. We may have to occasionally make changes to this file, but need a way to push this changed file to each device without touching each one.. Anyone know of an app that might accomplish this? Even if it was something running on the tablet that would just re-download the file on a schedule from a network share or URL that would work..

stevewm
May 10, 2005

evol262 posted:

It's incredibly frowned on to do this.

Also, you should whack whatever dev thinks "store configuration files on the sdcard, just push a new configuration when you need it" with a hammer. This is not modern development.

Configuration files should be versioned with the application, and get new APKs pushed. You can have the app itself cache the signature or version of an APK hosted on some internal URL (where the APK contains the config) and prompt to download a new APK if it doesn't match.

Or you can jam the settings into XML or JSON and return it from a webservice, then have the application serialize it to the SD card. Include a version (which can be the date) as one of the properties. The application can poll the webservice once a day (or whatever) with a manual "refresh" button in case one is needed. Control access to beta/whatever versions of it by controlling the webservice.

I agree , but the app is 3rd party and its what we have to work with. Settings are in a XML file stored on the root of the SD card.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Alighieri posted:

AT&T uverse two wire modems are an abomination to all mankind and the worst poo poo I have ever seen from any ISP.....

I have 1 branch location stuck with them, because there is zero other choice except for satellite, which really isn't a choice.

Aside from being forced to use their lovely modems that have no real bridge mode. Occasionally they will send a firmware update to the modem that will cause it to loose all of its settings, including the IP Passthrough setup. I've had this happen twice now...

Nothing like a frantic call at 5AM because the VPN is broken due to AT&T awfulness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't see how shopping your workplace to the BSA could ever be a good idea. When you live, yeah sure go hog wild.

We had a former employee do just this. They left on a bad note and filed false "anonymous" reports to just about every state and federal agency they could find. Along with industry organizations such as the BSA and SPA.

The BSA did come investigating. Even though we had a lawyer that specialized in dealing with BSA and their ilk, it was still hell... Much worse than your typical MS audit. They wanted detailed scans of every machine and several years of purchasing records. They made lots of threats. They used every little technicality they could find to ensure maximum non-compliance. They also don't care about COA stickers and the like.. If you cannot produce a dated purchase invoice you are non-compliant. And in some cases even that wasn't enough, they tried to ding us for OS licenses on several machines we purchased at retail because they claimed the invoices where not "detailed enough". Same with the refurb/off-lease laptops we had purchased.

Also, on MS suite products, such as MS Office, they will split it up and ding you for 3x the retail value of every program.

We thought we where compliant... After going through that whole process, I am convinced it is impossible for a business to ever be 100% compliant.

• Locked thread