Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I have been in a help desk position for a law firm for three years now. Luckily, I have not had to suffer like Dicktrauma, CorvetteFisher, or BlackswordCA. Although, there was one time where a squirrel literally knocked out the power for the entire block.

I received the call yesterday after interviews with 8 different higher ups for a brand new analyst position at a Fortune 100 IT company. YOTJ!!!!

I have come to you guys looking for advice. They keep pressuring me for my past salary history. Do I inflate my current wage to ensure that the offer made will be what I am looking for? Has inflating your wage ever come back to bite anyone in the rear end? I have already told them that I am asking for 70k plus benefits. The range for the position is 48 - 85. I have already been told I have the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Ancillary to that, you can say "I cannot reveal the information due to an NDA I signed at the outset of employment, but I can tell you I would find <x> number within my desired range for this position."

That at least gives them a starting number and heads off an insulting lowball offer.

Also, that's one helluva range they've got there, which to me indicates they're looking for an excuse to lowball or they've artificially inflated what they're actually willing to pay to attract more candidates (but would never, ever, ever make an offer at the upper end of that range). I think the biggest range I've ever been quoted was 15k.

The analyst position is a new position for the company, which is why the range is so large. If I said the actual title, it would be pretty easy to find out who the company is. However, they wanted someone who is relatively new to the field and is willing to design the position from the ground up.

The job listing asked for someone with 5 or more years of data analytics experience, so when I initially saw the posting, I ignored it. I received a call from the recruiter of the company a few days later after she found a six month old resume on Dice. My only real experience with data analytics have been the classes I have took in grad school. I also still have a year left in grad school to get my Masters in Information Systems. Therefore, that is why I believe what I say to them about my previous salary is going to be the deciding factor in the offer.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

nitrogen posted:

I found what *I* want for the holidays.

They just opened a brand new Sysadmin Rehab Center liquor store near me in Plano. They have my favorite Vodka (Russian Standart platinum) for ten bucks cheaper than the lovely liquor store on the lovely side of Richardson.

This post has absolutely no sysadmin or computer content in it, because i'm off until next monday. Not for lack of work trying, though. gently caress you, i'm on vacation.

I go to Total Wine for all of my liquor needs. I routinely clean them out of 3.99 six packs when the seasonal beers are being switched over to the next season.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai
I own and manage several ITSM processes in ServiceNow at a large company, around 1500 IT associates and 30,000 users. The quality of your ServiceNow instance depends on your company's implementation and customizations. If you put thought into the user experience, make the processes clear, and have a solid team administrating the platform, then the tool can be used successfully.

However, it is very easy to create a POS.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

MF_James posted:

oh god, I remember the first time i hit win+tab on accident, I was like WTF JUST HAPPENED, and then I continued to use alt-tab because change is scary.

The VP at my work has a pet project to send out IS Tips to the entire business. It was failing so I volunteered my two interns to write several of e-mails like these to send out to the organization. Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V, Google tricks, and the snipping tool have been the first few topics.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone have an experience with software to track/manage legal cases?

Right now we have two people in the company who handle our legal matters. Usually people that are using our product and either get hurt or hurt someone with it. So we get sued all the time and we track who the plaintiff is, who their lawyers are, blah blah. They're just cramming all this poo poo into ACT right now and it's the wrong tool for the job. We're also in the process of switching to new ERP software, and now they're trying to cram all that poo poo in there, which is also not the right tool for the job.

So, I said let's find something that's actually meant to store legal case information. We'd really like a $299 piece of Windows software instead of a $39/month cloud solution. The problem is most of the stuff I'm finding is for actual law firms to use, who need to bill clients and track time and all that - we don't really need that functionality, we just need to track cases.

Any suggestions?

You don't want a cloud solution, but ServiceNow offers legal case management.

http://www.servicenow.com/products/legal-service-management.html

Can't speak to it, but we use ServiceNow for IT Service Management. The user experience is all based on the support your company will put into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Entropic posted:

So today I had the joyous task of cleaning this up:

Only the switch and router were actually being replaced, but I ended up with this whole giant box of useless junk that had just accreted in a tangled pile under the desk of a period of I'm guessing at least a decade.

My guess is you're refreshing a hardware store or maybe a Sears.

Please post more pictures. Retail IT is a new world to explore.

• Locked thread