Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DigitalMocking posted:

We recently installed a comcast business MAN and I was blown the gently caress away by how good these guys were. They did a site survey, sketched our building in a CAD program, took 50 pictures and did a complete mockup on the pictures of where they were running the fiber.

The fact that it was Comcast just made it all the more surreal. Definitely the exception, not the rule however.

We're trying to get a simple MPLS link installed in Rochester NY, the circuit was originally ordered in July... delivery date was Dec/1 from the LEC. They emailed us at 4:30 yesterday saying basically "Yeah, didn't get this done, will try to finish it in the next 3 weeks, k?" :psyboom:

The important thing to remember with all large ISPs is that quality of service is highly locality dependent. Especially in cable-based ISPs, the actual company is a patchwork of thousands of origin cable systems, and a good deal of them still operate differently then others in the overarching company. If say Comcast bought out a really good cable system, you're likely to still get good service in that territory. If they bought a really lovely one, then your Comcast service in that area is likely to continue to suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inspector_666 posted:

This is the case even with smaller ISPs. I loving love Cablevision, but I've had them on Long Island/Brooklyn. A friend has them in NJ and says it's garbage.

They're the 5th biggest cable company in the country, that's not exactly small!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RFC2324 posted:

it is when comcast/twc have bought everyone else.

They haven't. You put them together and it's only 30% of cable users.

Erwin posted:

What are there, like 7 total?

There are 20 with over a million potential cable internet customers (due to area covered, but some of them will be using DSL instead like fools), 9 with over 5 million, and 5 with over 10 million.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gothmog1065 posted:

You live outside of a city? You bet your rear end you use DSL!

No, though? Cable has wider coverage out in nowheresvilles, because DSL dies with distance from the CO. Whole lotta places where your only choices are dialup, cable, and a satellite provider (so really, your choice is cable).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's worth remembering that there are plenty of Java applications out there that are really quite tied to a particular OS. Many of them people have to use at work all day! Java Android programs aren't special for being like that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RyuHimora posted:

They were. Dalvik, Android's implementation of Java, has been replaced with Android RunTime as of Android 5.0 (4.4.4 if you had a supported device). The specifics of ART are a little wordy to discuss fully here, but the gist of it is that when you download an app, the server checks the capabilities of your android device and compiles the app specifically for your phone on the fly. Of course there are still apps that haven't been updated but Android has indeed shrugged off its' Java roots.

You are confused. Dalvik and ART are both different virtual machines to be targeted, they do not change the language you use. ART opens up access to newer APIs of course, but so did newer versions of Dalvik compared to older versions.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

feedmegin posted:

I forget whether it's the PS/2 mouse or the keyboard, but one of those often does work if you re-plug it. It's not supposed to do though, and you run a small risk of burning out the port if I recall.

For both of those there's practically no risk of burning out the port. Unless there's something damaged already in the device connector or the computer port that allows a short circuit to be created during the plug-in process, but that can theoretically happen on any port during hot p;lug with the right damage.

However, whether the mouse or keyboard will work when hot plugged is extremely dependent on the exact motherboard used, there's no way to know without testing yourself if a particular model of the computer will accept both being hot plugged, only one being hot plugged, or neither.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dross posted:

Are people so flabbergasted by computer words that they don't even notice the poor English? That's always a dead giveaway.

A whole ton of old people actually have lovely reading/writing skills, largely because they went to schools that were terrible back when they were young. They often don't even notice that stuff, so they're prime marks.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Malachite_Dragon posted:

How much is this, where is it sold, and is it compatible with tablets/smartphones? Asking for... gently caress it, I'm asking for me, my enormous sausage fingers are terrible with touchscreens.

There's a whole bunch of generic ones. Here's one that costs $20:
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-FE01-BL-...s=mini+wireless

But if you want one to use with a phone or tablet, here's a bluetooth one that drops the touchpad and laser pointer:
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Bluetooth...=mini+bluetooth

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wibla posted:

The generation that grew up with DOS and early Windows has some advantages over both younger and older people in my experience. Kids these days generally don't give a gently caress about how stuff works, they just want their games to work. Back in the early 90s you had to be somewhat computer literate to get poo poo working. Especially games. Now? Install steam, done.

Honestly I never had to gently caress around with that stuff to get it working as a kid. You just had to stick the disk in the drive and type in the command printed on the disk to run or install it. Probably because my parents didn't cheap out on our computers, so no need to fuss around with boot disks to compensate for hardware issues. :shrug:

I'd say if anything the like late 70s-mid 80s non-DOS home computers is where you really had to be computer literate to just play the game, especially when the system didn't have a disk drive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cactus Jack posted:

I'm always impressed when something that old is still alive considering most of the people I deal with have trashed their poo poo in less than 3 years. Computers were made of stronger stuff way back when.

Good lord no, no they weren't. The ones you see still running were, but there's hundreds of millions of others that have gotten hosed up beyond reasonable repair over the years.

It's kind of like old cars, people assume they were built better, but that's mostly because you can occasionally see a 50 year old car on the road. Most of them needed and still need constant repair to keep them running, while modern cars on the other hand last like crazy. Back in the 70s, the average passenger car on the road was 5 years old, these days its more like 12. And it's all because they finally started making cars that can last with minimal repair.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Migishu posted:

Decided to look through the storage cabinet at work the other day, found one of these inside:

http://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-presario-1277-13-k6-2-64-mb-ram-4-8-gb-hdd/specs/

I... why wasn't this thing recycled years ago?

I might need to do a cleanup...

Never recycle old laptops like that, you will get money for them on eBay.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fil5000 posted:

I thought the Presarios were the horrible all in one desktop things rather than the laptops.

Presario branding was used for everything from high end normal desktops to the bad all in ones to laptops over about 20 years. Most of them weren't the all-in-ones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tigren posted:

A

And you can have a device called a Layer 3 Switch. What the hell is the difference between a layer 3 switch and a router? Is it just a low powered router?

A layer 3 switch is typically designed solely to function as a secondary router within a larger LAN environment, but performs better than regular switches due to its onboard capabilities. In comparison to a normal router, it won't have a WAN port and thus can't handle splitting a residential internet connection to multiple endpoints unless the ISP is willing to assign all the ips. It also usually won't have any firewall capability, or limited ones if any are present.

They also won't really improve performance over a regular switch or be cost-effective versus a regular router, unless you've got more than like 100 endpoints on the internal network.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Segmentation Fault posted:

A Dell Dimension 8400 came in.

Customer wanted data retrieved off of it, which is fine. However, she's giving the computer away to another person. It's still running Windows XP and I cannot in good conscience suffer an XP install to exist while I can do something about it. Problem is, Ubuntu won't even run on it: The 8400's got a Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM, and Ubuntu wants something slightly more capable.

I don't even have XP install media in the shop. What do I do? Do I just leave the install there? Do I wipe it blank? Can I even find a modern Linux that will run on early 2000s hardware?

Dig up some cheap RAM to expand it and it'll run Windows 7 OK. Might need to dig up a cheap video card as well.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is there a thread for running newer OSes on older hardware, even if just for fun? I have a fairly old desktop that never made it past Vista, and I'm tempted to try out Windows 7/8.1/10 on it.

The big hurdle for 10 is presence of the NX bit - so long as the support is present on the processor it will install.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

deimos posted:

A Raspberry Pi 3 will probably run faster and not waste electricity.

No, a Raspberry Pi 3 absolutely will not run faster, especially because it still has everything you use to interact with it or store data shoved onto a single USB 2.0 bus.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jre posted:

Eh, it's actual effectiveness these days is incredibly low and there's been an amazing run of horrifically bad security vulnerabilities found in the most common vendors software.

Sure, but it's also integrated into the OS these days in the first place, so it's essentially impossible to go without it unless you're pulling the sort of bullshit where you run hacked up "slimdown" OS installs to begin with.

Installing a third-party AV in 8/8.1/10 is kinda like insisting on still installing Trumpet WinSock to handle TCP/IP.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

jre posted:

Windows 7 ? 4 eva

Also in some environments (PCI) you need to be able to provide regular reports on when virus updates were installed to prove you are keeping things up to date and third party tools make this easier.

For that you'd use MSE because of course you would.

I'm not following that, Windows Updates logs when updates are installed, and MSE/Defender definition and executable updates (depending on OS version) are specifically called out in those logs. How can that be harder to track?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I always assumed, as a kid, that it meant "Problem Code", to be honest.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

Don't forget that Microsoft decided that in a couple years you won't be able to run Windows 7/8 on new hardware.

Just like you can't feasibly run XP or Vista or 98 or etc on new hardware. This isn't new, old OSes get progressively less support for new things until they have none at all.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anthonypants posted:

Except it's working now just fine, they're just going to prematurely shut off non-critical Windows Updates because reasons.

That is not what they're doing though. They are doing the same thing they've always done.

They said they won't supply a patch if the patch requires new hardware support that is not itself supported. They have also never done that in the past.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I have no idea what all of that means. Her old and new phones are AT&T phones, neither are VoIP phones. She just needs a phone she can use to work from home with those features I mentioned, so long as it has a blinking light to indicate new voicemail in her Xfinity Voice mailbox. Doesn't have to be a VoIP phone, but if that's what it takes to get that feature then so be it.

The cheap Uniden standard-POTS wireless phones my parents have work with Xfinitiy Voice and blink their lights when there's a voicemail message. I'm not sure of the exact model other than they got them about 5 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the signaling Comcast uses on their home phone service is standard, so any phone that will be able to detect there's voicemail waiting should do.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dick Trauma posted:

This is what Bill bought when he was told one of the accountants needed a powerful PC for handling our Frankenstein spreadsheets:

Huge Gateway FX gaming PC complete with lots of red LEDs. i7 and 16 gigs of RAM for MAXIMUM POWERRRRR.

I will now field guesses as to which OS and version of Office was on this beast when I arrived.

Windows XP Home 32 bit. Office 97.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kurieg posted:

Speaking of: Does anyone know if the older versions of Office will still work with Windows 10, or do they force you into the dumb subscription plan version?

You can run all the way back to Office 95 if you really want to. I personally use Office 2010.

You can also totally just buy regular Office 2016 if you want instead of the subscription version.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dillbag posted:

I have it on direct authority that a recent and extremely successful major motion picture that used the new Mac Pros for picture editing chucked 11 of them in the trash over a 6 month period due to hardware failure. They run extremely hot and are experiencing very similar graphics chipset failures to the previous couple of Macbook Pro revisions.

They also used Adon'tbe Premiere but that's another story...

Well clearly literally looking like a trashcan is more important than making sure your high end computer offering can cool itself. :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MF_James posted:

touche, yeah I couldn't really thing of anywhere in the midwest that I've heard of using TWC.

This is where the big cable cos were ~5 years ago. Most of it's still the same now:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inspector_666 posted:

I had no idea that Cablevision was out in the Rockies.

They apparently sold off those operations to Charter in 2013, but that's after the map came out, and was only a few hundred thousand customers on top of that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bigass Moth posted:

Didn't your school buy chrome books for every student and have the big pile of locked iPad? Seems like the budget is flexible or those funds came from elsewhere.

You'd be surprised how often those sorts of places think you can just buy the computer once and then not need to put in any money afterwards, despite the past ~50 years of widespread computer use in institutional settings.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I get the feeling that there's a fake tip image going around facebook or something (along the lines of the ones saying "apple added charging by putting your phone in the microwave for 5 minutes, try it now") that tells you to ruin your screen and that person fell for it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dick Trauma posted:

If MS split every single product into a plain and "For Business" line they would make so much more money. "Word... For Business!" "Windows Server 2012... For Business!"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sickening posted:

If you find yourself driving at all hours of the night , needing to pull over to sleep in your car, realize you are probably doing it to make someone else a lot of money.

I read that as needing to pull over to open up the laptop, presumably on some sort of tethering.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Renegret posted:

:sever:

(per day? per week?)

There's also the service provider's end of all this.

The whole reason providers can offer 100mbps to residential customers is because they never actually use it. The second that node starts getting contention, somebody is going to look at it, find a single bandwidth hog, then invoke some fine print in the terms of service and throttle your service to hell and back.

e: I'm just speaking generally because I know next to nothing about AT&T specifically

Your speaking generally is quite out of date for the major cable companies in the majority of the country. Can't say as what at&t does on their wacky uverse system, and of course plain DSL providers don't provide the full advertised speed in the first place.

Some areas of some cable cos have flat transfer limits, but with those your service either gets cut off or your bill goes up in a big way, rather than throttling.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well what you'd do if you had access to a SCSI card in a more modern PC, is to yank out the hard drive and then image it to a file you can use in an emulator like Basilisk II. Basilisk II can also be setup to directly boot from an attached SCSI drive in Windows.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xsf421 posted:

I (an American) got offered a job in Alice Springs. How can anyone look at it on a map and think "Yes, I'd like to live there."

Seems like the kind of place you'd be willing to go if you're desperate to get away from something. Like 90% of the people who move to Alaska for work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bob Morales posted:

Is USB-C durable? When we had Blackberries the USB port always got damaged because the tab inside the phone always broke. Never understood why they would put the breakable part on the phone and not the cable.

USB-C is intended to be durable enough that you could use it as a main laptop power supply source, so at least when implemented right it should be.

Mini USB was designed intentionally so that the port would break first not the cable, because when they were planning it they expected the devices that used Mini USB would be cheap or easily replaced (things like mice or hard drive enclosures), and also didn't expect frequent unplug/replug cycles. That's why Micro USB was quickly developed to address those issues when USB for phones really picked up.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

spog posted:

Can you custom make valves?

They aren't super-complicated devices - surely someone with a steady hand and a glassblower friend could knock them up in his shed?

Well the problem is that the ones the station requires are over a meter tall, and quite a bit more complicated than a normal valve/vacuum tube is.

This isn't one of the ones they'd need to replace, it's a similar design though, but smaller:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah definitely get a cheap radio with the weather band on it. They make them so they'll even activate a high-volume alarm when a warning comes in encoded for your county.

The Midland WR120 is highly recommended and can even display the type of warning on its screen when the alarm activates. Everyone should have them: https://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR120EZ-Weather-Certified-Trilingual/dp/B00176T9OY $26 right now.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

porktree posted:

I read what he said, My thoughts are that there are other ways to get the information (radio?). I'm not intending to be snarky.

Yea that and there's no way that drat TV station could properly report the weather if the tornado politely knocked on the front door to give its plans, you know?

One of the four "cities" around has to have local weather stuff in emergency, and no reliance on Internet access that a bad storm can knock out.

All the rest of ya should have a Weather Band radio too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Javid posted:

Is there any variety of earplugs that don't start to hurt after being in for an hour+? I don't use them everyday to where I'd get used to it, but I do use them to mute road noise on long road trips but I have to take them out for like 15-20 minutes occasionally or it gets obnoxiously uncomfortable.

I just use my in-ear headphones for that, I like the "triple flange" styles that look like this, they both hold in well and stay comfortable for like 8+ hours at a time:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread