Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Battlarts is basically a pro/shootstyle hybrid. They hit harder and work the mat more than in NJ or AJ but you will see flips and dives from time to time. For the less violent but still really great predecessor to this, see the Fujiwara/Sayama series.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I'll have to look more of it up. I like the style pretty well.

I've made it through the first half of 2000, with the exception of the June tag from NJPW. My top ten for the year so far would have to be:

1. Kobashi vs. Omori, 4/15/00
2. Misawa vs. Akiyama, 2/27/00
3. Kobashi vs. Kawada, 1/12/00
4. Kong vs. KAORU, 2/13/00
5. Kobashi vs. Takayama, 5/26/00
6. Misawa vs. Kawada, 3/31/00
7. Vader vs. Kobashi, 2/27/00
8. Hashimoto and Iizuka vs. Ogawa and Murakami, 1/4/00
9. Kong vs. Satomura, 5/16/00
10. Tenryu vs. Sasaki, 1/4/00

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kanemaru & Kikuchi vs Samurai & Naruse, IWGP junior tag titles, NOAH September 23rd 2002

Background: Kanemaru and Kikuchi formed a somewhat impromptu tandem in February to tangle with the invading New Japan forces, led by Liger himself. The initial tag is one of the best of the year and I'm confident everyone will watch it. This is another skirmish in the war.

Why I think it's underrated: A match that isn't the main event or semi-main, let alone one with junior heavyweights, let alone one with second-tier junior heavyweights, is easy to pass over. Samurai/Naruse is a somewhat random pairing for New Japan to send over, yet improbably enough they're an effective unit. I suspect that a lot of what makes this match good is the momentum of the NJ vs NOAH feud from the August 29th show.

What it deserves: Top 100 consideration / on the bubble. Not as good as the top-tier matches in the feud, but most of those are top 50 caliber, so top 100 for this is reasonable.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Link for Kawada/Kobashi 2000/1/17 is dead.

E: Sano/Tanaka is the first time I've seen japanese commnetators detract from the match. They spend a few minutes talking about Chyna being the WWF IC champion :lol:

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 20, 2013

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Thanks. File updated with two corrected links.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
File updated with three changed links.

Tenryu & Hirai vs Kojima & Hayashi, All Japan October 6th 2002

Background: Tenryu is SO ANGRY with Kaz Hayashi. That punk! Just look at him. And Kojima! Grrrrr!

Why I think it's underrated: As with so much of what I'll be highlighting, it's a tag on a smaller show. Nothing is on the line but pride. By now you should be familiar with Tenryu's eternally foul mood, and if you aren't then go back and start watching the Y2K matches. Hirai doesn't have many good performances to his credit but definitely brings it as much as he can. Kojima and Hayashi have the youth and spunk to be perfect foils for Tenryu.

What it deserves: Top 100 consideration / on the bubble. Fun, energetic, and ends when it should.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

What did AKIRA do to make Kanemoto that mad coming into the 2/27/00 match, burn down his house and dog and break his leg? Sadly the finishing stretch of the match suffered from Kanemoto's lack of selling and felt like it belonged to a different match.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Finished getting through 2000. My top 10 for that year:

1. Kobashi vs. Akiyama, 12/23 - what a brutal and long battle.
2. Kobashi vs. Omori, 4/15
3. Misawa vs. Akiyama, 2/27
4. Sasaki vs. Kawada, 10/9
5. Tenzan and Kojima vs. Nagata and Iizuka - really fun match with Tenzan and Kojima being the assholes and Nagata and Iizuka the guys that won't just stay down.
6. Ohtani and Takaiwa vs. Kanemoto and Minoru Tanaka, 6/25
7. Kobashi vs. Kawada, 1/12
8. Kong vs. KAORU, 2/13 - holy poo poo this match. One of the best wild brawls I've ever seen. My favorite women's match that I've ever seen so far. I know this is a tough decade and all, but I'm amazed this wasn't italicized at least.
9. Kobashi vs. Akiyama, 8/6 - Not as good as the 12/23/00 match, but still a great one.
10. Kobashi vs. Takayama, 5/26

I just realized Kobashi is in half of these matches. I'm okay with that.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I guess I will do a top 10 for 2000 as well:

1) Nagata/Iizuka vs. Kawada/Fuchi, 12/15. I hadn't watched this match in years and forgot how loving great it is. One of the best tag matches of the decade, and I can't think of anything Iizuka did that was close to this good outside his team with Yamazaki in the mid '90s.
2) Kobashi vs. Akiyama, 12/23. The first Kobashi match I ever saw back in 2002, and one of my all time sentimental favorites. A bit harder to watch for me knowing how wrecked he was both then and now, though.
3) Kawada vs. Sasaki, 10/9. Brutal as hell, and a perfect Tokyo Dome main event. Also helps that this led to Sasaki becoming a MUCH better worker.
4) Kawada/Tenryu vs. Hansen/Kea, 7/23. I might be overrating this, but I loved it. Hansen's last great match?
5) Dragon Kid vs. SUWA, 8/24.
6) Misawa vs. Akiyama, 2/27.
7) Otani/Takaiwa vs. Junior Stars, 6/25.
8) Kawada vs. Tenryu, 10/28.
9) Kobashi vs. Takayama, 5/26.
10) Junior Stars vs. Liger/Makabe, 9/12.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 23, 2013

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Fauxhawk Express posted:

4) Kawada/Tenryu vs. Hansen/Kea, 7/23. I might be overrating this, but I loved it. Hansen's last great match?
In order: nope, yup.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I just couldn't get into Dragon Kid vs. SUWA, outside of two or so really amazing spots by Kid.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I freely admit to being a giant SUWA mark, and will say that another of his matches on the list will almost certainly end up in my top 10 for the decade.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I was really impressed with both of them, but I don't know, it just didn't flow like a great match by a young Rey Mysterio, I guess.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Nagata vs Takayama, 5/2/2002

As great as the old AJPW epics could be, I can be preferential to matches such as this one on occasion. These two don't go for the all-time classic, but just beat the piss out of each other for 15 minutes and it rules. Even stuff like a kitchen sink looks especially nasty. I watched this with a few college buddies about 5 or 6 years ago, both of them casual wrestling fans but had no idea about puro, and they were both totally into this by the end as well.

Top 100? Oh, yes. One of my favorite IWGP title matches.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
That is probably the best-looking kneelift ever.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I think this is my top 10 for 2000 after all bold and italics and a couple non.

1. Kawada/Nagata tag
2. Jun/Misawa
3. Kawada/Sasaki
4. Kobashi/Takayama
5. Kawada/Tenryu
6. Hansen tag
7. Kobashi/Akiyama
8. Hash dome tag
9. June Njpw Juniors Tag
10. Suwa/DK

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
File updated with 2 new links.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Ditch where do I get you ten bux?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
http://theditch.biz/funds.html

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

20 bux done. Been downloading your stuff for years.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Akiyama, Saito & Izumida vs Rikio, Morishima & Ikeda, NOAH March 16th

Background: Morishima and Marufuji have a tag title shot against Akiyama and Saito at the end of the tour, so this is designed to build towards it. Oddly enough two lead-ins made the cut but not the title match, which had a weak first half due to its length.

Why I think it's underrated: For those of us brought up with US wrestling there's no inherent appeal to a 6-man, especially before the Shield win streak. In Japan it's an integral part of booking and on occasion produces standout matches. Unlike most 6-man tags, this starts hot and sustains a lot of intensity throughout. Ikeda, who tends to take it easy in NOAH, brings his A-game for a change. Even the problematic Izumida contributes.
What it deserves: Top 100. They do a great job of making the action unpredictable, and when you add in the pace and stiffness it's all the better.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kanemoto vs AKIRA, IWGP junior title, New Japan March 23rd 2003

Background: Akira Nogami didn't do much of note in the '90s, including a forgettable run as junior champion. A re-invention in 2000 as part of Chono's stable led to a number of really good technical matches. This is the best of those, as the two of them show remarkable inventiveness and attention to detail.

Why I think it's underrated: It's not a highlight-reel spotfest, but more of a chess match. This got some initial praise from show-to-show New Japan viewers but didn't catch the eye of Meltzer et al. I can understand preferring something a bit more spectacular, but this is really tricked-out and stands apart from the usual "tons of nearfalls" Japanese title match cliche.

What it deserves: Top 50 consideration. It doesn't hit the dramatic pitch of the very top tier, but creativity and execution make it solid mid-ballot material.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Do Fixer vs M2K, trios titles, Toryumon June 29th 2003

Background: Genki Horiguchi and his super-effective backslide made waves in the spring. Can such trickery get it done against a tough M2K unit at the biggest show of the year?

Why I think it's underrated: The match was well-received at the time but was somewhat forgotten as time passed. Whereas Toryumon is associated with flash and style, this match thrives on old-school tag structure to properly set up the exciting finish.

What it deserves: Top 100. This has something for everyone.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Fixed a link, re-download.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
That Toryumon 6Man is great and along with the 4Way tag will finish pretty high in my balloting.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't looked in this thread in awhile. Yay for finally finding a new job.

I'm so happy to see that Toryumon 6 man get a write up. It's almost always been my favorite Toryumon/DG match ever and it holds up very well on a rewatch.

I really should start watching more stuff on that list that I haven't seen already though.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi, Honda, KENTA & Marufuji vs Akiyama, Saito, Kanemaru & Hashi, NOAH August 23rd

Background: Kobashi's Burning stable and Akiyama's Sternness stable had been at war for the past year, producing quality multi-man tag matches one after another. Marufuji is involved by virtue of his team with KENTA, which means that Kobashi's side includes both sets of tag champions *and* the GHC heavyweight champion. Quite the unit.

Why I think it's underrated: As a smaller-show tag designed to build towards Marufuji/KENTA vs Kanemaru/Hashi at the end of the tour, this wouldn't grab headlines. However, it's possibly the best multi-man tag of the decade. We're treated to one good pairing after another, hot nearfalls even in the middle of the match, strong pace given the length, and a finish that feels a lot bigger than you would have expected going in.

What it deserves: Top 50. I realize some people will always place title matches ahead of tags, but I think on the merits this deserves to place high.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I really, really like the 8 woman tag from AJW on 2/28/2001. It's a match that is absolutely all action, has a great finish and is just real impressive all the way through. I would recommend it as a possible top 50 match.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Done with first pass of 2000. I hope I'll have time to rewatch the matches that end up in my top 100. Initial top 10 for this year:

1. Kobashi vs Misawa, All Japan April 11th - How is this on nobody's lists? Great war of the titans even though it isn't highlighted on the list.
2. Misawa vs Akiyama, All Japan February 27th
3. Kobashi vs Akiyama, NOAH December 23rd
4. Kong vs KAORU, GAEA February 13th
5. Kobashi vs Akiyama, NOAH August 6th
6. Liger, Tanaka & Makabe vs Delfin, Murahama & Tsubasa, New Japan December 14th
7. Kobashi vs Omori, All Japan April 15th
8. Kobashi vs Takayama, All Japan May 26th
9. Akiyama, Takayama & Shiga vs Kobashi, Rikio & Kikuchi, NOAH September 25th
10. Kawada & Fuchi vs Nagata & Iizuka, New Japan December 14th

Kobashi was pretty good, y'all.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of!

If the finish to Akiyama/Vader vs. Kobashi/Taue didn't feature two botches, it would have been my favorite match I've seen so far outside of maybe 2004's Misawa-Kobashi. It's still a drat fine match.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Did anything else come out of the Zero One/NOAH stuff? I really like the two Hash v Misawa tags and fiery interpromotional tags is some of my favorite wrestling.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
There weren't any heavyweight dream matches after '01, but the juniors feuded off-and-on for a long while.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Does Hakoto throw up in the middle of her match with Satomura?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Through the first half of 2001, here's my top 10 for that year so far:

1) Akiyama and Vader vs Kobashi and Taue, 1/13/01
2) Kanemoto and Tanaka vs Wagner and Silver King, 2/3/01
3) Mutoh vs. Kawada, 4/14/01
4) Tenryu vs. Mutoh, 6/8/01
5) Misawa vs. Takayama, 4/15/01
6) Kawada vs. Kojima, 6/6/01
7) Hokuto vs. Satomura, 4/29/01
8) Tanaka vs. AKIRA, 5/28/01
9) Tenryu and Fuchi vs. Kawada and Araya, 6/30/01
10) Hashimoto and Nagata vs. Misawa and Akiyama, 3/2/01

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
This is going to be one of those things where I end up taking notes, isn't it...

I finished 2001. Here's my current top 20 for the first two years for some more pimping:

1) Kobashi vs. Akiyama, 12/23/00
2) Kobashi vs. Omori, 4/15/00
3) Misawa vs. Akiyama, 2/27/00
4) Misawa vs. Akiyama, 7/27/01
5) Mutoh vs. Nagata, 8/12/01
6) Akiyama and Vader vs. Kobashi and Taue, 1/13/01
7) Sasaki vs. Kawada, 10/9/00
8) TenKoji vs. Nagata and Iizuka, 11/30/00
9) Ohtani and Takaiwa vs. Kanemoto and Tanaka, 6/25/00
10) Kobashi vs. Kawada, 1/17/00
11) Kong vs. KAORU, 2/13/00
12) Kobashi vs. Akiyama, 8/6/00
13) Kanemoto and Tanaka vs Wagner and Silver King, 2/3/01
14) 8 woman AJW tag, 2/28/01
15) Takaiwa vs. Marufuji, 12/9/01
16) Kobashi vs. Takayama, 5/26/00
17) Misawa vs. Kawada, 3/31/00
18) Vader vs. Kobashi, 2/27/00
19) Mutoh vs. Kawada, 4/14/01
20) Tenryu vs. Mutoh, 6/8/01

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
4-way trios match, Toryumon August 30th 2003

Background: So they did the 3-way trios in 2001 and 2002. Where do you go from there? Why, a 4-way of course.

Why I think it's underrated: This blows the 2001/2002 iterations out of the water, but it happened at a smaller show and didn't get much notice. The mix of athletic sequences, fast-paced action and comedy all leads to a momentous finish. Dragon Gate fans, you must see this. Dragon Gate skeptics, give this a shot, because it avoids many flaws of the current DG style.

What it deserves: Top 25 consideration. I rate this as the best match from Toryumon and possibly the whole Toryumon/Dragon Gate universe.

Takaiwa & Hoshikawa vs Togo & Hidaka, Zero-One December 26th 2003

Background: Zero-One's top juniors (Takaiwa/Hoshikawa) face off against long-time stablemates Togo and Hidaka in a match to determine the promotion's first junior tag champions.

Why I think it's underrated: I saw no discussion of this match whatsoever prior to watching it last year. It's easy to miss; the card is instantly forgettable overall. That's unfortunate, because these four go the extra mile to deliver something special. They build off elements established in a series of Hoshikawa vs Hidaka matches in years past, as kick-based Hoshikawa has to survive the anti-leg offense of Hidaka. Good tag structure in the body of the match followed by a big-time finish, including a semi-accidental bump you'll never forget.

What it deserves: Top 50 consideration. If they had a hotter crowd and went about 5 minutes shorter it would probably be a MOTYC. As it stands this is a hidden gem.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I've only watched maybe two or three Japanese wrestling PPVs in my entire life. I can't even name them as they were just random shows linked from PSP.

So going through this entire list should catch me up, right?

I started about a week ago, aiming for one match a day. The last thing I want to do is blitz through dozens at a time as they'll blur together.

I'm also going in blind, not looking up who people are, what their moves are, or what the finishes may be. I'll look up a thing or two on Wikipedia after the match.

I know virtually nothing about the Big Names of puro. I recognize a couple: Kobayashi and Kawada to be specific. And Aja Kong as well, who was in the match I just finishing watching with Kaoru.

I'm keeping star ratings of each match. That way I'll have some idea what I thought of the match when I look back at this huge list later.

So far I've yet to run into a match I felt like turning off. "Sano vs Tanaka, Battlarts January 30th" was close at the start but the second half really picked up.

Thanks for the thread and the link to all of these matches! I've been reading too much about wrestling and not watching enough lately, so this is a wonderful resource.

Space Cob fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 8, 2013

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Space Cob posted:

So going through this entire list should catch me up, right?
Mostly, but of course a lot happens in any country's wrestling scene over four years.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Ditch posted:

Looking forward to your thoughts!

So far:

"Kong vs KAORU, GAEA February 13th" - :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Kobashi, Rikio & Hashi vs Akiyama, Morishima & Kikuchi, NOAH January 10th 2004

Background: For some reason, NOAH decided to headline a Nippon Budokan event with three tags, and put champion Kobashi in a third-from-the-top 6-man. Worked out reasonably well. This was done to continue the Kobashi/Akiyama feud en route to July's show at the Tokyo Dome.

Why I think it's underrated: Insert my previous comments about 6-man tags being overlooked. The teams are 'parejas increibles', since Rikio/Morishima, Akiyama/Hashi, and Kobashi/Kikuchi are all long-term stablemates. This ends up becoming a showcase for Hashi as he tries to prove himself against his mentor and friend. Good exchanges, plenty of fire, and a receptive crowd all add up to something special.

What it deserves: Top 100. Too many spectacular matches from 2004 for this to hit the top tier, but it's got enough quality to merit inclusion

• Locked thread