Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Kinda hard to believe that Red Faction Guerrilla has the most advanced destruction physics that I am aware of. Really wish more games hopped on that. L.A. Noire's face mocap is also mysteriously absent from every game made since. And the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. Combine all 3 of those systems with Metal Gear Solid 5's stealth and a heaping spoonful of Johnny Gat and marvel at the most awesome game ever conceived by man

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Kinda hard to believe that Red Faction Guerrilla has the most advanced destruction physics that I am aware of. Really wish more games hopped on that. L.A. Noire's face mocap is also mysteriously absent from every game made since. And the nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. Combine all 3 of those systems with Metal Gear Solid 5's stealth and a heaping spoonful of Johnny Gat and marvel at the most awesome game ever conceived by man

If the information on the matter I've gained from a short, balding, ginger, leprechaun is to be believed, the creation of those ridiculous Popeye-faces requires one to poo poo in an entirely white room surrounded by cameras, and wearing a white sheet too I believe. I imagine it like the white room in the Matrix before all the guns come out but you're sitting in a barber's chair. You also can't move that much or have any hair either so it's actually super limited in terms of what you're able to do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

the creation of those ridiculous Popeye-faces requires one to poo poo in an entirely white room surrounded by cameras

I know this is a typo but I wanted to quote it for posterity.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I know this is a typo but I wanted to quote it for posterity.

It's actually not a typo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, people pull some really goofy looking faces when they're lying in that game and I couldn't come up with anything good as a 'funny face' reference so I just went with a real old cartoon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RareAcumen posted:

If the information on the matter I've gained from a short, balding, ginger, leprechaun is to be believed, the creation of those ridiculous Popeye-faces requires one to poo poo in an entirely white room surrounded by cameras, and wearing a white sheet too I believe. I imagine it like the white room in the Matrix before all the guns come out but you're sitting in a barber's chair. You also can't move that much or have any hair either so it's actually super limited in terms of what you're able to do.

this. it was apparently ludicrously expensive to do and they did it with pretty much every NPC. the other problem is looks uncanny as gently caress because of the weird and somewhat stiff bodies and the fact that women had exactly one hair style. gently caress i need to finish watching that LP.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, people pull some really goofy looking faces when they're lying in that game and I couldn't come up with anything good as a 'funny face' reference so I just went with a real old cartoon.

I think they're talking about the 'poo poo'.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Viridiant posted:

I think they're talking about the 'poo poo'.

I too pull some funny faces when making GBS threads/lying.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There are actually way better methods than what LA Noire used available now so you can see equal level of facial capture in a few places but really it comes down to expense. LA Noire had to base an entire game around it to justify that money. Uncharted 4 will probably have the best performance capture for quite a while (or will be outclassed by Last of Us 2) but that's because Sony is willing to pay to move consoles.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Spalec posted:

Bring back Red Faction. Knocking down buildings was so much fun in that game.

Or summoner. I think I was the only person to really like Summoner 2 but I thought it was great.

Literally the only thing anybody remembers fondly about Summoner is the machinima they made for that old Channel 101 D&D sketch, so if they made another one they should just cut out the middle man and have Dan Harmon write it.

Those are all proprietary technologies that belong to competing companies so good luck. Maybe of we're lucky they didn't pull a Nintendo and patent the concept of them so nobody else can even attempt it a la Eternal Darkness's insanity effects.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh jeez. AOM is already $20.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Inzombiac posted:

...well I guess I can try it sooner. :ohdear:

Thorg
Jan 1, 2007
Thorg hungry! Thorg want eat!

Inzombiac posted:

Ouch. Kinda regretting that pre-order now.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thorg posted:

Ouch. Kinda regretting that pre-order now.

I feel the 10 minutes I've played it more than make up for the extra $30 I payed for pre-ordering.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Johnny Gat blesses each and every one of you that pre-ordered. You da real Saints

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
goddamn, even Mass Effect Andromeda had 6 months before doing their fire sales

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Johnny Gat blesses each and every one of you that pre-ordered. You da real Saints

I didn't even get Gat, I ordered through Amazon. :(. I'm still not mad, the amount of fun I had with Saints Row 4 compensates for it

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Where is it $20. I am down at that price point.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I feel like its original price tag was a bit high, because as someone here said before it came out, it's a middle-market game in spirit. The sort of game that wasn't really marketed before release (and was probably a little too weird to be marketed well anyway) but is a bit cheaper to make up for it and largely succeeds on word of mouth and reviews. That market doesn't specifically exist now, but as you occasionally see from indie games the spirit and interest for that is definitely there.

But poo poo, it going down that low is just sad.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

codenameFANGIO posted:

Where is it $20. I am down at that price point.

It's $20.39 on Steam right now.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm going to get AoM and Homefront Revolution because I'm a loving idiot with a soft spot for janky games with heart.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Medullah posted:

I didn't even get Gat, I ordered through Amazon. :(. I'm still not mad, the amount of fun I had with Saints Row 4 compensates for it

Oh, poo poo. Well in that case you get blessed by.... I dunno, Pierce?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
There's an entire Deep Silver sale going on right now, isn't there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zaa Boogie posted:

There's an entire Deep Silver sale going on right now, isn't there?

Yeah there is. AOM being on sale is notable because publisher sales almost always exempt their most recent title.

• Locked thread