Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Keep in mind that even though places are putting out videos of the game right now, there's still a press embargo about the majority of the game, which is why the Lowtax/Shmorky stream ended roughly at the same point that Giantbomb's quicklook did in terms of story content.

There's probably a lot of really funny stuff we haven't seen yet and won't see until we play the game ourselves, which is how it should be for any good comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Light Gun Man posted:

Probably people being nice and not showing off good jokes that would be less funny if you had already seen them before playing? Jokes that are funny because of stuff happening in the game that would be spoilery? Plenty of possibilities here.

I sure hope you're right because the majority of what I've seen so far has been painfully unfunny.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Hatbox Ghost posted:

I keep hearing about how funny Saint's Row IV is, but from what I've seen the jokes are mostly either recycled memes that weren't funny 10 years ago or references that you'd have to play through previous games to understand. And then there's that hi-larious weapon that literally rapes your enemies to death. What am I missing here?
If you buy the Australian version, the hi-larious weapon that literally rapes your enemies to death.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

I think it was recommended that you play on Hard.
That depends on whether the hard mode is the usual dumb hard mode where enemies just do more damage/have more hit points, or whether it's the rare one in a million hard mode that is actually fun because it introduces new enemies and enemy behaviors.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

Hatbox Ghost posted:

I sure hope you're right because the majority of what I've seen so far has been painfully unfunny.

If you're genuinely curious about whether the humor in the full game is any better than what you've seen so far, you should probably look up the first couple of missions on Youtube instead of asking us whether or not it'll resonate with your sophisticated comic palate. Just a thought.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales

Hatbox Ghost posted:

I keep hearing about how funny Saint's Row IV is, but from what I've seen the jokes are mostly either recycled memes that weren't funny 10 years ago or references that you'd have to play through previous games to understand. And then there's that hi-larious weapon that literally rapes your enemies to death. What am I missing here?

Daaamn, a first page thread poo poo :golfclap:

It's also weird that you would attack a game for referencing the previous three games in the series. Did you watch Return of the Jedi first and roll your eyes when all these random characters kept showing up and saying things you didn't understand?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Grown-rear end man here that will be buying the hell out of this. Saint's Row is amazing and disagreeing with my opinion means you hate fun and are a bad person.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Any news if the 360 frame rate issues are made better by installing? Is the PS3 version noticeably smoother?

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Lobst posted:

If you're genuinely curious about whether the humor in the full game is any better than what you've seen so far, you should probably look up the first couple of missions on Youtube instead of asking us whether or not it'll resonate with your sophisticated comic palate. Just a thought.

I watched the Lowtax/Shmorky stream, and in one of the first missions you're instructed to do a barrel roll as "What Is Love?" plays in the background. It's a shame too because it looked like one of the most promising missions from what was shown. I guess I'm expecting too much :(

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm just afraid they have made to much of their legacy gameplay obsolete/invalidate with how far they have taken the player power level. Gang Members, Homies, weaker/generic weapons, most vehicles don't have to much of a convenience or purpose with super-powers. I love the super-powers so I want them there for sure.

I'm glad they changed the side-missions and regrouped them for more structure and to take powers into consideration. SR3 side missions felt more chore than challenge some of the time, especially when you where just filling in the purple-blanks and didn't want to do that loving tiger-drive section again.

I'm REALLY loving happy they changed how notoriety works too. I'm very happy they made it so you could fight your way through it. Solving problems with violence is just the Saints way of doing things.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Berk Berkly posted:

I'm just afraid they have made to much of their legacy gameplay obsolete/invalidate with how far they have taken the player power level. Gang Members, Homies, weaker/generic weapons, most vehicles don't have to much of a convenience or purpose with super-powers. I love the super-powers so I want them there for sure.
Yeah that is a pet peeve of mine, games that give you six billion ways to get the job done but a huge chunk of them are completely outclassed by the others and have no legitimate use.

edit: keep in mind that if 3 had been anywhere near as loving hilarious and crammed to the brim with good stuff as 2 was, I would have absolutely no reservations about buying 4 on day one, about gameplay or anything else. But, here we are.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 15, 2013

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I'm passing on this at full price pretty hard. I've seen a 17 hour completion time and coupling that with a similar city and the baffling movement decisions... meh.

Will buy it during the christmas sale, most likely. Maybe later.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

games.on.net posted:

There is a rumour circulating, however, that Steam is cracking down on this practice. Or at the very least, you may not be able to try it for Saint’s Row IV. It seems there may be region coding involved that will revert your copy to the Australian version if you play it in Australia, no matter which version you buy.

http://games.on.net/2013/08/rumour-region-coding-in-saints-row-4-may-mean-copies-bought-outside-australia-will-revert-to-censored-edition/

I didn't see the back end of the previous thread so apologies if this has been posted & discussed to death already. If this happens to be true and not complete bullshit, would this will be the first game that actually has something like this short of having VPN activations for CIS versions? Even L4D2 could be activated if somebody bought you a non low-violence version.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I don't know, even in just Saints Row 3 I used the lever action shotgun over the auto shotgun. Sure, it killed things slower, but it was cooler. Hell, I'd even drag out the shark gun every once in a while. Basically, I like Saints Row cause it isn't gonna force me into playing a specific way. Instead, it just dumps the toybox right in front of me and says "Do whatever you feel like, man."

EDIT:

pr0p posted:

I'm passing on this at full price pretty hard. I've seen a 17 hour completion time and coupling that with a similar city and the baffling movement decisions... meh.

What movement decisions are those?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

pr0p posted:

Fair enough, though is that 17 hour completion time with or without side activities and missions? Also, what do you mean by 'baffling movement decisions'? The only one I can think of is not being able to fire during a super jump, which does suck pretty hard.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Being a grown-rear end man, 17 hours sounds mighty mighty good to me, especially considering more of those will be MP lunacy with my friends while gibbering like a really stupid kid on Christmas, if it's anything like SR3. Is there a link for the Lowtax/Shmorky stream?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dan Didio posted:

Going to give this a pass until the frame-rate issues on the console version are (hopefully) sorted out, but it's cool that it's getting a lot of good press aside from that.
Be prepared to wait for a long loving time in that case.

The consoles are 7 goddamn years old, they just don't have anything near the horsepower to handle an open world game like this. The places that reviewers are talking about really bad frame loss and slowdowns are during things like super-speed running, where the antiquated consoles just don't have memory capacity or bandwidth to keep up. The issue is not that Volition needs to optimize their engine or something, it's that they made a game for the ~~~PC Master Race~~~ that asks for more than a 360 can handle.

Join us, PC gaming right now is at an incredible high water mark.

VVVV edit added heavy irony tildes because some people take things too seriously. But the point remains that the PC version is the best one to get if you have any sort of choice in the matter.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 15, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

PC Master Race

Yeah can we not get into this

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 15, 2013

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Captain McStabbin posted:

I don't know, even in just Saints Row 3 I used the lever action shotgun over the auto shotgun. Sure, it killed things slower, but it was cooler. Hell, I'd even drag out the shark gun every once in a while. Basically, I like Saints Row cause it isn't gonna force me into playing a specific way. Instead, it just dumps the toybox right in front of me and says "Do whatever you feel like, man."

Well there is a big difference between choosing between two guns, one killing little more efficiently in return for being slightly more cool or fun to use, and modes of play that completely outclass the other in function and style. Driving is just so cumbersome and crude compared to super speed/jumping/wall-climbing/gliding because the latter is freeform, flowing, fast and quickly transitions into, say, fighting. Vehicles explode, get stuck/obstructed by immovable structures/water, mostly have to follow roads until you get to the hybrid air vehicles. Hell, they totally consolidated and upgraded the vehicle homie to let you just save vehicles on the spot and recall them on whim just to make them comparatively less inconvenient.

Just as a further comparison, you have guns and superpowers, but the super-powered have good competition from your later weapons for both effectiveness and fun factor, especially the more powerful ones, like the Black Hole bomb. Its just as fun but very efficient cleaning up clusters of enemies at a distance.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 15, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

Unlucky7 posted:

Fair enough, though is that 17 hour completion time with or without side activities and missions? Also, what do you mean by 'baffling movement decisions'? The only one I can think of is not being able to fire during a super jump, which does suck pretty hard.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

From what I've read that's just playing the story missions, not doing side activities or just loving around in the city*. Which seems about right; if you just marathon through the story the previous games would probably clock in around 15-20 hours as well. And considering that would be the most joyless way to play a sandbox game, I'm not too worried.

I am a little concerned about my PS3, though. It struggles sometimes with Skyrim, this game might finally do it in :ohdear:

*immediately rebuffed! Well done pr0p, but I guess it depends on your level of fuckery; IdolNinja's review suggested closer to 20-30 hours with all the trimmings, I believee.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 15, 2013

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Captain McStabbin posted:

What movement decisions are those?

The superpower stuff that makes cars less efficient than just jumping and running through the game. I'm probably the odd-man out but vehicle selection and handling, weaving in and out of traffic, and the poo poo you get into along the way is a big part of my enjoyment of open world stuff. Not to mention that, either actually or just due to the air vehicles, Steelport already felt smaller Stillwater, to me.

^^

Giant Bomb Review posted:

That 17-hour number isn't something I just pulled out of the air, by the way. That's about how long it took me to complete Saints Row IV, including all of the side missions (most of which with silver or gold medals) and with copious amounts of time devoted to collecting well over a thousand of the clusters. The game is shorter, but in a way that comes off as more focused.

pr0p fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 15, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

pr0p posted:

The superpower stuff that makes cars less efficient than just jumping and running through the game. I'm probably the odd-man out but vehicle selection and handling, weaving in and out of traffic, and the poo poo you get into along the way is a big part of my enjoyment of open world stuff. Not to mention that, either actually or just due to the air vehicles, Steelport already felt smaller Stillwater, to me.

I know you already made up you mind, but to this, I can only say: Do what is fun, not efficient!

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

pr0p posted:

Well, you'd have to deal with the knowledge that you aren't using the best possible method of getting around, but if you like ducking and weaving through traffic in a car then there's nothing stopping you from doing so. After all, I haven't seen any indications that vehicle handling has changed. If anything, it'll be easier since you can just summon up cars whenever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

From what I've read that's just playing the story missions, not doing side activities or just loving around in the city*. Which seems about right; if you just marathon through the story the previous games would probably clock in around 15-20 hours as well. And considering that would be the most joyless way to play a sandbox game, I'm not too worried.

I am a little concerned about my PS3, though. It struggles sometimes with Skyrim, this game might finally do it in :ohdear:

*immediately rebuffed! Well done pr0p, but I guess it depends on your level of fuckery; IdolNinja's review suggested closer to 20-30 hours with all the trimmings, I believee.

I finished the game in 16 hours 35 minutes with every sidequest done. I didn't collect every data cluster because gently caress that but otherwise had everything.

That said I'm kind of boggled that we're now at the point that 17 hours is too short for people these days.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mootallica posted:

http://games.on.net/2013/08/rumour-region-coding-in-saints-row-4-may-mean-copies-bought-outside-australia-will-revert-to-censored-edition/

I didn't see the back end of the previous thread so apologies if this has been posted & discussed to death already. If this happens to be true and not complete bullshit, would this will be the first game that actually has something like this short of having VPN activations for CIS versions? Even L4D2 could be activated if somebody bought you a non low-violence version.
Until, like, some mod tools come out and just bypasses all that bullshit :shrug:

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Yea, I'm in no way trying to say the game is without merit. I played SR3 twice: once at release on console, and once with the full dlc on PC. I was absolutely sucked in on the first go around, but with my PC playthrough I was insanely overpowered and could go A->B so quickly and obliterate everything almost immediately. The previews I've seen seem to indicate the former is the case for this game.

Just not my bag, not saying it's a bag of poo poo.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Unlucky7 posted:

I know you already made up you mind, but to this, I can only say: Do what is fun, not efficient!

The thing is super-powers are just as if not more fun a travel method than driving is for all the reasons I listed above. Faster, flexible, flows into fighting fluidly, etc. The game-world is now at least partially designed around you getting around with them, especially with the Crackdown-like orb/dataclusters put into non-vehical reachable locations.

I can imagine players trying to drive after having a taste of the super-powers, getting a little bored doing the usual power-slides and weaving only to jump out, telekinesis their car into a crowd and run-wallsprint-jump away with a sigh of freedom.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 15, 2013

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Huh, didn't expect that number to include sidequests. A bit leaner than I expected from an open world game, but better than most modern action games. I expect Mods can add some replayability too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Berk Berkly posted:

The thing is super-powers are just as if not more fun a travel method than driving is for all the reasons I listed above. Faster, flexible, flows into fighting fluidly, etc. The gameworld is now at least partially designed around you getting around with them, especially with the Crackdown-like orb/dataclusters put into non-vehical reachable locations.

I can imagine players trying to drive after having a taste of the super-powers, getting a little bored doing the usual power-slides and weaving only to jump out, telekensis their car into a crowd and run-wallsprint-jump away with a sigh of freedom.

Yeah, the 'problem' with Superpowers is that they're not only more powerful but more fun, to the point where missions where you have to use a car feel insanely restrictive because of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, the 'problem' with Superpowers is that they're not only more powerful but more fun, to the point where missions where you have to use a car feel insanely restrictive because of it.
The game FORCES you to use a car when you can fly?!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not only that, but certain missions restrict powers completely because of whatever plot reasons, apparently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

A good number of the game's plot missions (for reasons I won't spoil) restrict or remove your powers completely. This is usually because they have their own gimmick but not always. There are also vehicle-specific sidemissions.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side

pr0p posted:

Yea, I'm in no way trying to say the game is without merit. I played SR3 twice: once at release on console, and once with the full dlc on PC. I was absolutely sucked in on the first go around, but with my PC playthrough I was insanely overpowered and could go A->B so quickly and obliterate everything almost immediately. The previews I've seen seem to indicate the former is the case for this game.

Just not my bag, not saying it's a bag of poo poo.

Understandable, and I know these pre-release threads can get a little heated for no reason :)

For what it's worth I share similar concerns. Hell, I never even beat SRTT, and my playthrough petered out for similar reasons; by the time I beat the Deckers and fought zombies, I was so ungodly overpowered that it genuinely wasn't fun anymore. Dual-wielding infinite ammo pistols that fire explosive rounds is a little much, and that 8-bit tank you get for beating the Deckers is basically goddamned invincible. I think the most fun I have in these games is when I start out with just a pistol and some lovely beater car and just have to make it work.

That's why I'm thinking of jumping into SRIV on hard, to mitigate the fact that we can now jump over buildings and kill things with our minds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wolfsheim posted:

That's why I'm thinking of jumping into SRIV on hard, to mitigate the fact that we can now jump over buildings and kill things with our minds.
But like I said, the usual hard mode changes (more enemy hit points/damage) is just as boring as the game being too easy, but in a different way.

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone knows if it's possible to delete the unlocked vehicles from the garage (if there's any)? I really hated that in SRTT where about 75% of the cars in my garage were undeletable. Or do I have to use mods again?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wolfsheim posted:

Understandable, and I know these pre-release threads can get a little heated for no reason :)

For what it's worth I share similar concerns. Hell, I never even beat SRTT, and my playthrough petered out for similar reasons; by the time I beat the Deckers and fought zombies, I was so ungodly overpowered that it genuinely wasn't fun anymore. Dual-wielding infinite ammo pistols that fire explosive rounds is a little much, and that 8-bit tank you get for beating the Deckers is basically goddamned invincible. I think the most fun I have in these games is when I start out with just a pistol and some lovely beater car and just have to make it work.

I think there was some talk about a mod for selectively turning upgrades on and off was in the pipeline from IdolNinja, along with a proper mission replay.

Question: Is there anything weird where conquering parts of the city can screw you over for certain activities? I remember this one assassination contract in 3 that required you to build up Gang Notoriety, except if you already had in conquered, you won't find enemy gang members. I think the fix was to attack your own gang members, which is kind of screwy.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 15, 2013

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Samurai Sanders posted:

But like I said, the usual hard mode changes (more enemy hit points/damage) is just as boring as the game being too easy, but in a different way.

Probably not for packs of enemies as they likely suffer from the "We can't fit sophisticated AI into the console processing/memory constraints with everything else" reasons.

Those bigger Warden sing mini-boss enemies might be a little more challenging but likely all carbon copies of one another in terms of what they actually do.

I saw hints of mission bosses being a thing hopefully.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 15, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Question: Is there anything weird where conquering parts of the city can screw you over for certain activities? I remember this one assassination contract in 3 that required you to build up Gang Notoriety, except if you already had in conquered, you won't find enemy gang members. I think the fix was to attack your own gang members, which is kind of screwy.

No, there is nothing like that at least that I encountered.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Berk Berkly posted:

The thing is super-powers are just as if not more fun a travel method than driving is for all the reasons I listed above. Faster, flexible, flows into fighting fluidly, etc. The game-world is now at least partially designed around you getting around with them, especially with the Crackdown-like orb/dataclusters put into non-vehical reachable locations.

I can imagine players trying to drive after having a taste of the super-powers, getting a little bored doing the usual power-slides and weaving only to jump out, telekinesis their car into a crowd and run-wallsprint-jump away with a sigh of freedom.

From what I've seen there are a lot of knee-high walls that the player will get stuck on, especially on rooftops where you'd think super-powered movement would be most useful. It became pretty obvious that the world was not designed with super sprinting/jumping powers in mind. Also, trying to do something like jumping onto a small water tower to collect an orb and not overshoot it seems more frustrating than fun.

vvv Yeah, it was before the wallrun power up. I don't quite know the mechanics of the game so I'm not sure if wallrunning is just an automatic thing or not.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hatbox Ghost posted:

From what I've seen there are a lot of knee-high walls that the player will get stuck on, especially on rooftops where you'd think super-powered movement would be most useful. It became pretty obvious that the world was not designed with super sprinting/jumping powers in mind. Also, trying to do something like jumping onto a small water tower to collect an orb and not overshoot it seems more frustrating than fun.

I didn't encounter that at all. The closest to awkward is before you get the wall run power but you get that so quickly it barely matters.

• Locked thread