Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Clitch posted:

It specifically has a 360 controller setting, so you're good to go.

[E F;B]

To add content: $4 for RF:Guerilla is a no brainer, if you haven't played it. It can be balls hard, but it is so satisfying, when you blow something to kingdom come. Besides, who doesn't want to be an insurgent?

[Edit: The Second] Obligatory: Space rear end in a top hat

It's also worth looking up some mods - there's not a lot, but one good one allows you to tweak the destruction physics to make them more or less sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
That just reminds me of a great line from American Dad delivered by Patrick Stewart (incidentally, there's a boss voice that would be amazing): "Naturally, recapturing this fugitive is our top priority. Then we can track down the bastards that have been harboring it and punish them brutally. I mean, really brutally. Weird stuff. Butt stuff."

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LAY-ZX posted:

Personally I came to be a fan of the pump-action shotgun. Fully upgraded it will one-shot anything that moves at any distance less than ten feet, and the basic enemies will bite it from half a block away.

The semi-auto shotgun is pretty good too. I like how much better the shotguns are in SR4 than they were in 3, where they become pretty much useless once STAG shows up. They're my usual go to weapons for taking down Wardens since they can deal a lot of damage in the short window you get after dropping their shield.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One thing I noticed during the game: how come they removed weather? I know that SR3 couldn't change the time of day but it still had rain occur sometimes.

I say this because I absolutely live the noir filter, but it really needs some rain to go with that black and white and moody lighting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Operant posted:

Game loving owns so far, I wasn't that into it until the whole zinyak destroys earth thing when the game started feeling like it had a lot more direction. Also superpowers own.

My question is, once you have your superpowers is there anyway to go back to doing the normal sprint+melee takedowns? I miss the neck breakers/hurricanranas

There is a cheat to remove superpowers but otherwise not during normal open world gameplay.

There are a bunch of missions in the game where you can't use your powers though (that's not really a spoiler is it? Most of them are optional), so you still get to use those moves during the game.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Jane Valderamma's voice actress is named Lauri Hendler. Tricia is voiced by Alex Borstein, who also voices Lois. Borstein used the same voice for a newscaster character in a Mad TV sketch, so I'm wondering if it's based on a real person that both her and Hendler are imitating?

I think it's just that generic newscaster cadence that they all seem to have. No matter where you're from, reporters always have the exact same accent.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sindai posted:

A next-gen superhero game with geomod would be amazing. :allears:

You mean the dance party and everyone showing up to help you out in the final phase?

I really hope that a future saints row game incorporates geo mod in some way. They probably wouldn't be able to have fully destructible skyscrapers, but even being able to blow up some smaller buildings would be great. Especially for mayhem activities.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Huh. Despite being in an alternate reality simulation, the good old superpowered, money-loaded Genki mascot ped is still roaming around Steelport! :eng101:

I never found him in 3. I ran into him in 4 but for some reason I didn't get any money after killing him (I know that in 3 you had to actually touch his body, but I tried that and still nothing).

Re: Keith David, I'm surprised there weren't any references to The Thing anywhere. At least, none that I spotted.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I miss the heavy metal station. I like some of the songs in SR4 but honestly I don't think the soundtrack overall is as strong as SR3.

Seems like whatever they use to randomize the radio station playlists could use some work too. I've had several occasions where it will play a song, then play it again with only one other song between plays. Also sometimes it plays bumpers from the wrong station for some reason :confused:

I actually kind of wish you could use some of the non-licensed backing tracks in your custom playlists. I like the tunes they use for the speed rifts but since they aren't on the radio, you can't use them.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I think maybe originally they were going to be flame weapon skins and the text didn't get changed in Kinzie's line. They are, in fact, golden weapon skins for some of the alien weapons (you get another unlock for the rest of the alien weapons from finishing a certain number of challenges in total). Flame skins would have made more thematic sense given the requirement, really.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suben posted:

Thinking about it, I know Yuri Lowenthal's a good VA but goddamn does he do a great job as Matt to the point where I went from not giving a poo poo about Matt to him being my favorite of the crew. I think what sealed it was the absolutely childlike glee Lowenthal has in the loyalty mission which results in what was, hands down, the funniest line in the game for me.

Oh my god NYTEBLADE IS ON HIS WAAAAAY!

That bit cracked me up too. He WROTE it and he's still just SO EXCITED!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Reiley posted:

Yeah one of my oh-poo poo recovery tactics has been to mad dash towards a pedestrian and do the dash takedowns when I need health on the double, can you still do that with the tornado or does the people being knocked away mess that up too?

You can still jump into cars and do takedowns with the tornado upgrade, since it only affects things behind you (although sometimes it hurls them forward and they hit other things). If you overshoot it sends them flying though so you only get one shot at it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Vortex makes Stomp and TK mayhems ridiculously easy.

gently caress tank and UFO mayhems though. Also black hole mayhem.

You can actually use the cyclone for any on-foot mayhem, including black hole. It seems like destroying things with it gets you less money than with the weapon you're supposed to be using, but you'll be wrecking things so FAST that it still gets you gold with plenty of time to spare. At the very least, you can use it to build the combo meter up very quickly to get a big bonus taking out high value targets.

Tank and UFO ones do suck though. All you can really do is drive/fly around shooting everything and hope for the best.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

gibbed posted:

We already have the shockwave upgrade for super sprinting, but Volition need to copy the Prototype 2 shockwave DLC, stat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kyXm-3P3TI&t=94s

Also, regarding the ending: Gat can't dance. :psyduck:

It kind of does that already; try standing on top of a car and super jumping. It might just be a bug but it's awesome.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vanderdeath posted:

Did anyone just get a 600 meg patch for SR4 on Steam?

Edit: Beaten by mere seconds

I didn't notice one, but it might have downloaded while I wasn't paying attention. At this point I can't imagine it being anything other than bug fixes. Doesn't really explain the size, but it might just be that the way the game is cooked they need to put out a huge patch even with minor changes (a lot of modern games seem to have this issue).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

I hope this is true because it means that Laura Bailey just knows all the lyrics to that Paula Abdul song with the dancing cat.

I'm not sure if it's true of SR4, but apparently this is what they did in 2, which is why all the different voice options end up mumbling half the words in Take on Me, because all they really remembered was the chorus (like everyone else). I think they might have had the lyrics in 4 just because it seems like every VA knew all the words, which I guess is possible but seems less likely.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Yeah, RIP Apoc pants (or whatever they were called). You were too cool for the new school.

Apoc pants are still in. I was using them on my boss. I think you can get them in Nobody Loves Me.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

blurry! posted:

Finally a use for M2 (set at -40 pitch), a decent enough stand in for a Vin Diesal voice. Speaking of which, if voice DLCs were a thing, who'd you pay for? I'd pay for Vin Diesal as Riddick, H. Jon Benjamin as Sterling Archer (or just him, whatev), John Dimaggio, Gilbert Gottfried, the list goes on :allears:

Morgan Freeman.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Holy poo poo the Reggae DJ is Mr. Sunshine.

Also the new Redneck Grass Roots DLC is worth three bucks just for the toilet gun and the Grapes of Wrath truck.

Oh THAT'S where he is. They listed him in the voice credits and I couldn't figure out why!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

Just glide so that you will "land" on the side of a building and start running up the side while charging a jump, jump before you go over the top, glide, repeat.

This is what I did too. They specifically say you aren't allowed to touch the ground or rooftops - wallrunning is perfectly acceptable for the achievement.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rocketlex posted:

Well, I just had the game totally fall apart on me in the creepiest way possible.

I had been playing around with cheats, specifically the insanecity cheat and the ones that turn NPCs into different things. I had "Mascot NPCs" turned on, and had turned off "Insane City" briefly so I could go buy a new outfit.

So, I come out of the clothing store and don't immediately notice anything wrong. I decide to summon the Genki Girls (as I'd just unlocked that ability) so we can go beat up some mascots. Thing is, they don't show up. I stand there and they don't come. I decide to jog to a nearby intersection (I'd also turned off super movement) to see if it fixes whatever pathing error is keeping them away. Still nothing. I look around for what could be causing the problem, and that's when I realize there are no NPCs around. At all. Some cars are parked but none are moving.

I see cars in the distance so I run for them. No matter how far I run I don't actually reach them. The city is always empty around me. (This is actually not completely insane. I think cars in the far distance aren't "real" NPCs and are more like an effect the game generates to make the world look fully populated.) Fed up, I decide to fly around and find NPCs, so I try to call in the Screaming Eagle. The game tried to call in the Screaming Eagle. It tried over and over. The little pink "vehicle spawn in" swirl just happened repeatedly. I wasn't locked in place fortunately, but with vehicle spawns now borked I had to turn Super Movement back on to get anywhere.

I ran all over the place and there were no people. Anywhere. I think after a while it stopped even doing the "cars in the distance" effect. Whole place was just empty.

But the strangest part was when I went to the ship. There was no one there, either. The whole ship loaded just fine, just with no people on it. I could open all the doors and use everything, and all the geometry was there, but it was empty. This was the part that was wierding me out. The game was loading environments and objects just fine, but no vehicles or NPCs.

So I jumped back in the simulation, which was still broken, and as a last-ditch effort to jolt the game back to sanity I tried summoning the mech. This was actually kind of hilarious. The mech didn't spawn, and instead The Boss went into this weird little pose and started stomping around. Then I tried to jump and the game froze.

I...I have never seen a game poo poo itself that amazingly. That was seriously like a Twilight Zone episode. I don't even know the code would have to break for something like that to happen.

I had the "No cars or NPCS anywhere" bug hit me once too. Annoyingly it was during insurance fraud. I had to exit the game completely to fix it - just reloading the game or quitting to the menu did NOT work.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

death .cab for qt posted:

A testament to how lovely Hulk Hogan was in SRTT:

I didn't even know he was in SRTT

Yeah he really wasn't very well used. When you've got Hulk Hogan, you don't give him a character that's supposed to be all melancholy and quiet. He would have made more sense as Killbane.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 13, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
They're probably done with this particular incarnation of Saints Row, but I doubt the series itself is over. Most likely the next game will be a reboot of some kind.

The Deadly Hume posted:

I dunno, something set in the 70s might be interesting (even GTA hasn't gone there, Vice City being set in 1986 or whenever), though you wouldn't have mobile phones and poo poo which kind of constrains that whole "use a mobile phone for all your poo poo" thing, but you would have muscle cars and great hair and bad clothes etc.

I'd love this if it was the 70's as it's depicted in cop shows/exploitation films, much like Vice City was the 80's via Miami Vice/Scarface.

Basically give me Quentin Tarantino's Saints Row.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Step 1: Find out who even owns the Freespace IP at this point.
Step 2: Get them to sell it.
Step 3: There practically is no step 3, Volition would loving love to make Freespace 3.

Step one is the big one, since nobody seems to be able to figure out who owns it, people completely lost track. It was traded to Microsoft when Interplay went bankrupt to repay debts, but since then Interplay's apparently gotten it back. They seem like they might have even forgotten that, though.

On the upside, Interplay's probably the easiest people to get Freespace 3 out of. There was a scare a long while back that Derek Smart would get/had gotten the IP, if that happened instead...

Does it actually HAVE to be "Freespace 3"? I mean surely they could just make a spiritual sequel that hits all the right notes without owning the rights to the IP, like the ArMA games did for Operation Flashpoint (they're much more like the first game than the sequels actually bearing the name).

Personally I want them to do something open world with Geo Mod again. Especially with the next console generation coming up, it would be awesome to see what they can do with less hardware limitations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Howard Beale posted:

That mission better end with someone shooting their eye out :colbert:

Robo-Shaundi in the screenshot DID have a cybernetic eye...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

I had this problem towards the end of the game right after you find the power armor; it did take a bit of the fun out of it, because I wound up having to try five or six times. I play these games on "Casual" because I'm terrible, and they failed to take that into account. :colbert:

The problem with that end section is they take away the health drops that you get while inside the simulation, so sure you've got superpowers but you're way more fragile than you should be while wearing power armour. It should just give you SR3 speed health regeneration for that section so you don't have to sit at the bottom for like half a minute to heal up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
For those that have finished the DLC, check the computer in the ship you use for text adventures/audio logs.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

UndergroundHero posted:

What's the reference? I've tried looking everywhere and haven't found it.

It's the TARDIS in a cave, near the cave you start in.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Didn't they say that any Saints Row 5 they made would be a reboot of the series (because there's really nowhere else to go after the ending of SR4)? So I think that rules out time travel.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tricky Ed posted:

I'm really glad I came to the series when I did and played 3, then 4, then 2. 3 is objectively a great game experience compared to most games. 4 was better than 3. And then 2 is one of the greatest game worlds ever made, which might not be possible to recreate without a 9-digit budget in the current generation.

It would be great if they could find a way to drop fidelity in exchange for more to do, but I fear that even a great publisher wouldn't take that risk... and these guys work for Deep Silver.

On the other hand, maybe the best sign of all is that we know they're working on something but we haven't heard anything. The more time they can give Volition the better.

I honestly think they could re-create a world as good as 2 with the budgets they're working with now. You have to remember that a significant chunk of the expense in developing SR3 was building a brand new engine for it, and 4 ended up being developed at a very turbulent time for Volition so they probably didn't want to invest in anything too huge because their future was so uncertain at that point (hence the re-use of Steelport with very minor changes rather than a brand new city). With the all that stuff behind them, I wouldn't be surprised if go for something much more along the lines of SR2 in terms of scale. Remember that SR2 had assets from SR1 to build off of, but everything for SR3 basically had to be built brand new, or at the very least HEAVILY modified from SR2 assets. I think that's a big reason why Steelport feels kind of generic compared to SR2 Stilwater, where each neighbourhood had a much more distinct feel to it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Fuckin' right.

But the best voice ever was Female1 in SR2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4rSiTG5OFI&t=630s

Peak gently caress YOU SAY itt

Yeah, I'm still disappointed they didn't get her back for SR3 and 4 (apparently they did get in touch with her, but she's retired from voice acting). Laura Bailey is fine, but SR2's female 1 just sounded so pissed off all the time, it was great.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing is that the engine for SR3 and 4 is MUCH better looking than the SR2 one, but SR2 is just overall a better game. Personally I like the more grounded storyline in SR2 better than the sequels as well. That isn't to say that I don't like the sequels; 4 especially is a a ton of fun. SR2 just has something special about it though that keeps me going back every now and then.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Milky Moor posted:

I like SR2 the most because while it's absurd it wasn't completely LOL WACKY as SR3 was. SR4 reigned it in a bit and was still fantastic but, yeah...

I don't know if SR4 reined it in a little bit so much as it just kind of took the story itself more seriously. The story was still easily the most bonkers of the whole series (you're the president fighting against aliens in the Matrix!) 3 had some good characters but the story itself didn't really have any kind of direction. SR2 may have had 3 different disconnected plotlines but they were individually really well done.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Given that it's an American game not a British one and there are plenty of female pedestrians whom you can kill, I doubt there's any connection there. Also, what games are there where you can kill kids?

Honestly it's probably just something as simple as they didn't get around to making a model for female cops. NPCs in SR3 are all fully modeled rather than just being a base with different clothing applied to them like the player so if they don't specifically make female versions, they won't show up.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Come on remake of SR2 on 4's engine

also freespace 3 I guess

Saints Faction. Saints Row with Geomod. Make it happen, Volition.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

Also the second-to-last cutscene is hosed up, you may want to skip it for now, as it may or may not crash? I saw a review on steam complaining about this and am really surprised to find the reviewer was actually using the word penultimate correctly and didn't mean the last one.

I'm not at the end of the game quite yet but I'm at the "crash the wedding" mission and it seems like the pre-mission cutscene for that is bugged somehow too - it keeps playing the intro cutscene instead (but with subtitles for the one that's supposed to be playing, for whatever reason).

I think I like the design of hell more than Steelport. Sure all the fire and brimstone is a bit same-y but at least the building styles are pretty varied between the islands, and there's a lot of detail hidden away in places. I actually kind of wish you didn't get super speed/flight right away, since you basically spend most of the game with a birds eye view and end up not really seeing much of anything.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PassTheRemote posted:

This game is pretty fun. I am now killing people in hell. Not sure how that works.

One of the tomes you can pick up actually explains it - being killed in hell scatters essentially disperses your soul for 1000 years while it reforms in a horrible, painful process.

Although apparently Dex has learned to do it much, much faster.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

Oh yeah, totally forgot about the female enemies. I kind of rapid-fired this game like crazy so some of it just didn't stick to my brain I guess.

It would be nice if you could go into some of the buildings, maybe have one for each sin or whatever. One of those casinos could be open for greed purposes, some horrible gluttony buffet, that sort of thing.

Yeah the lack of interiors is something I hope they address in SR5, since it was kind of an issue in 4 and 3 as well. I can understand them not really wanting to do a lot of them for something like Gat out of Hell, but hopefully they'll have more in the future. SR2 had quite a few interior spaces, and while a lot of them were only really used for specific missions, the fact that you could go in and wander around at any time was cool (and usually there was at least something like a CD or tag spot hidden in there so it wasn't totally pointless).

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

I'm torn a bit on the soundtrack. I know Volition didn't want to splurge on licensed music this time, but it sounds like who ever got composed the soundtrack did a lot of sound-a-likes. The Glyph song reminds me of the ending theme to Buckaroo Banzai and while running around last night, I swore I heard something similar to the Chromatics' "Tick Of The Clock" from Drive.

It's probably not intentional but every time the archduke fight music plays it reminds me a lot of the music from Castlevania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Doesn't work on the APCs unfortunately. I usually just toss a couple frogs at them, brings it low enough to make everyone get out but not enough so that's in danger of exploding before getting to the drop off.

Also, I just unlocked the boom Chicka. :wtc:

A single direct hit from the Ark will drop an APC to a little under 3/4 so it's probably the easiest way to get the crew out. Although you probably want to switch weapons after because a second shot, even indirectly, will almost certainly blow it up.

• Locked thread