Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Keep your eyes and ears open as War of the Dimensions develops into a gaming powerhouse.

Sounds interesting. Shame about loosing his artist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Keep your eyes and ears open as War of the Dimensions develops into a gaming powerhouse.

The thing that gets me, beyond all the obvious things, is that his pitch for this game is basically "it's a card game like M:tG, but everything is totally random which means that it's basically just a huge game of chance."

quote:

Part of the problem we ran into was to make this game unique. We have played other card games and every one of them is similar in attacking and defending we wanted to make it different. We have made this game completely random even if your winning at one moment theirs always a chance someone else could beat you.

That's an anti-pitch. I mean, once you get into top-level theorycraft and tournament strategies it's true that games like Magic lose a lot of the random variance that more casual Magic games might see as people fine-tine their decks, optimize their metagame, and generally do everything they can to ensure consistency...but the solution to that isn't to decide "hey you know what'd be great, a game like Magic except completely random, brilliant."

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

berzerkmonkey posted:

Road/Kill is back with a better looking KS and painted models. Looks to be on the scale of Car Wars. Little pricey though for a starter with models.

Holy poo poo, I was interested but $100 for 1 faction, only 12 cars, no leader, and no cards... yeah right. I doubt they will hit goal with these ridiculous prices.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
A kickstarter for Finnish and Russian Winter War figs went up, which would be great because I would love some Finns for Bolt Action:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1030835091/winter-war-wargaming-miniatures

I want to pledge but I'm a little nervous, one because they're offering free shipping, which seems like it could eat up a lot of their revenue.
Two, because all the stretch goals are free, which looks set to increase their costs exponentially. Is it normal for stretch goals to be free? I thought they were usually done as additional buy-ins after a successful kickstart. I don't want to pledge nearly a hundred dollars just to see this turn into one the "we hanged ourselves with our own success" kickstarters.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Depending on the company, stretch goals can be free - that's how Reaper did their Bones KS and why there were approximately 18,000 minis in each box.

Though, yeah - it does seem a little odd that instead of one model, you're getting an entire squad for free. And possibly an entire 28mm scale tank, for God's sake. The buy-in on this is really, really low to get all that free stuff.

That being said, if they aren't doing their castings in plastic, it isn't difficult to make a mold for resin or metal, and the casting material is pretty cheap for either. Cutting molds for plastic is where you need the big money.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Seems worth noting that the second wave of the Sedition Wars: battle for Alabaster miniatures has arrived, at least at my house. Seems to include reprinted cards for all the figures. Glad to see it here, although my interest has waned considerably.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LumberingTroll posted:

They also just confirmed to me that they are adding a Cobblestone Medieval City, and a Clean Sci-Fi city. cant. wait.

Are there any pics to go with this? If that Clean Sci-Fi has decent hex paving stones I'd be all over it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are there any pics to go with this? If that Clean Sci-Fi has decent hex paving stones I'd be all over it.

Same for me, all my Deadzone guys are going to need something to stand on and that many other bases is gong to cost a huge amount, so far Neo's Lobby is the leading candidate

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm thinking the cracked, baked desert one would look fantastic painted as wrecked pavement. That's what I'm planning on for my Deadzone, anyway.

Speaking of DZ, the latest update wasn't totally useless- they confirmed that wave one is still on track for November shipping. (After plugging some other kickstarters.)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

moths posted:

I'm thinking the cracked, baked desert one would look fantastic painted as wrecked pavement. That's what I'm planning on for my Deadzone, anyway.

Speaking of DZ, the latest update wasn't totally useless- they confirmed that wave one is still on track for November shipping. (After plugging some other kickstarters.)

A "month" ahead of where they were supposed to be. Not bad, especially as this my crimbo/birthday present this year from the wife.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just gave the Bake Your Own Bases guys some cash because even if they don't do the style I want, it's a great idea that I'd like to see put into production (and I want a couple anyway)

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

LumberingTroll posted:

New Bake your own base molds are available, im pretty happy with this addition.

Now if they just had a clean sci-fi city one, it would be perfect.

These things look great, I especially love the train track one. But... 52 POUNDS for two when shipping in europe? Are you kidding me? That's more than 30 € per stamp.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

They are working on them, so yeah I assume we will get pics.

Luebbi posted:

These things look great, I especially love the train track one. But... 52 POUNDS for two when shipping in europe? Are you kidding me? That's more than 30 € per stamp.

I dunno, I guess it seems reasonable to me because I will never have to buy a resin base again, just greenstuff which is pretty cheap.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's about twice what they're charging in-country, which is relatively unreasonable.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

moths posted:

It's about twice what they're charging in-country, which is relatively unreasonable.

Yeah, I see your point. I know shipping is bad, but its not twice the cost of every item.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Its not twice as much at all but its still a big jump. These things are heavy apparently, presumably they are using the highest possible postage for the area selected.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I looked again and you're right that it's not quite double, but still holy poo poo.

I really do hope they get foreign distribution. It looks like a great product that'll be owned by exactly three Americans, two of which are Lumbering Troll.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
So outside the cost, anyone else looking at various parts of the plates and thinking how you can use one plate to make a prop that you sit on top of another pressing? I really dig the look of the bricks, for example. I intend to have them strewn about. I'll still probably buy some stuff from Secret Weapon actually, just because they have so many good little bits for scenery.

Also like Lumbering Troll, I got converted to resin bases and this is basically a way for me to buy a bunch of molded bases in advance, in a way, and simply not have the same 5-10 bases repeated over and over.

I also like the fact that most of the bases are not heavy on elevation, because I prefer my minis to be close to the base. I never really understood the popularity of having your miniature standing on a rock that's half their height or more.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 10, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm looking forward to smooshing down a few potholes / craters and filing them with water effects.

Honestly this is such a great idea that I'll be really surprised if we don't see more companies producing them over the next year.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm kinda surprised that Secret Weapon didn't think of it but they're also busy with their Tablescapes poo poo so whatever

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

moths posted:

It looks like a great product that'll be owned by exactly three Americans, two of which are Lumbering Troll.

I am TWO people?

signalnoise posted:

Also like Lumbering Troll, I got converted to resin bases and this is basically a way for me to buy a bunch of molded bases in advance, in a way, and simply not have the same 5-10 bases repeated over and over.

I was also thinking, if you got the Happy Sepuku accents,(I got all of their stuff too) you will have even more combinations and possibilities.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Nice art, nice ideas, decent pitch, non standard fantasy...

All good.

$50 for the PDF of a new system by unknown designers? Haha, no.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/706920242/beyonder-rpg-imagine-with-us

So yes, rpg kickstarter inflation is in full swing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

All good.

They're actually $25 each. But yeah, $25 for a PDF is pretty expensive. You gotta pay your artists and layout guys though...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

LumberingTroll posted:

I am TWO people?

It looks like it if someone sees you from the back.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Yo Lumbering Troll when are you gonna kickstart some burnt MDF? I have buckets of ducats to pledge.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

They're actually $25 each. But yeah, $25 for a PDF is pretty expensive. You gotta pay your artists and layout guys though...
It looks to me like you really need both to play, though, which is why I'm going with $50 :)

But the art really is cool, though.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Indolent Bastard posted:

It looks like it if someone sees you from the back.

uh, what?

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yo Lumbering Troll when are you gonna kickstart some burnt MDF? I have buckets of ducats to pledge.

Im still working on the designs, I didnt like the way the last batch was turning out so I am working on some new ones, want them to be right first.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

It's a really lame joke about you being a big dude and seemingly so large that from behind you look large enough to be two people.

:) I'm only one man.

:downs: Not from the back.

(Sorry, it's a really weak joke.)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's a really lame joke about you being a big dude and seemingly so large that from behind you look large enough to be two people.

:) I'm only one man.

:downs: Not from the back.

(Sorry, it's a really weak joke.)

Well drat, Im not that big.

well maybe....

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

dwarf74 posted:

All good.

Beyonder Kickstarter FAQ posted:

While some areas (such as the Dead Lands) and themes (such as goblin reproduction) are very Dark, the overall setting is not.

Mmmmmaybe goblins just don't like to leave the lights on? :ohdear:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was trying to make a joke about how you back more of these things than a single person could use.

(I am bad at jokes.)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

moths posted:

I was trying to make a joke about how you back more of these things than a single person could use.

(I am bad at jokes.)

Well yeah, that is true, but remember I am obligated to spend money on Kickstarter, as per my a pledge I made from the Kickstarter I ran.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Hey guys, the Golem Arcana kickstarter started today, from Harebrained Schemes, the studio that made Shadowrun Returns.

It's a digitally enhanced miniatures game that uses tablets or smartphones to help out the tabletop game. You use a stylus to interface with the device so you can do things like tap on the mini you want to move, then tap on where you want to move to and the device shows if it's a valid move or not and shows any relevant information. The cool part with the device is that it keeps track of everything so some goals are save games, remote play, downloadable scenarios, etc.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I played their demo copy at Gencon, its a really neat concept to have all the book keeping done by a tablet.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Thanks endlosnull, I backed. I was very happy with how they handled their Shadowrun Returns Kickstarter, the product was exactly like they said it would be. Jordan Wiseman, though a little odd is a reliable guy.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

endlosnull posted:

Hey guys, the Golem Arcana kickstarter started today, from Harebrained Schemes, the studio that made Shadowrun Returns.

It's a digitally enhanced miniatures game that uses tablets or smartphones to help out the tabletop game. You use a stylus to interface with the device so you can do things like tap on the mini you want to move, then tap on where you want to move to and the device shows if it's a valid move or not and shows any relevant information. The cool part with the device is that it keeps track of everything so some goals are save games, remote play, downloadable scenarios, etc.

Its awesome that you can get unpainted resin versions of the miniatures, some of them are really awesome.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

That has to be the highest ever tg goal. Backed for a base game for now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's a shame they're trying to resurrect the half-digital hybrid miniatures game model. And the funding cost is probably more than Ex Illis ever brought in.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

moths posted:

It's a shame they're trying to resurrect the half-digital hybrid miniatures game model. And the funding cost is probably more than Ex Illis ever brought in.

Why is it a shame when it's long overdue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

moths posted:

But wasn't the reason Ex Illis didn't take off because it was pretty much terrible? I had enough friends pick up the starters at GenCon that year they were there that we joked that we had a third of their entire stock and every one of them tried playing it once before giving up.

• Locked thread