Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Shh.

http://jakewyattriot.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pendleton Ward confirmed that Marceline and Princess Bubblegum dated, opened the gates of Tumblr hell

Talk amongst yourselves, because I'm not gonna contribute to it.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Jake Wyatt :allears:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Pendleton what have you DONE. We're all going to die. Ahhh, more doomsaying, etc etc. I guess people need to have things spelt out to them rather than leaving it up to their imagination. Which didnt really stop people before.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Although we've hashed out a bunch of reasons why the monster didn't teleport into Joshua's head to become Jake himself, and much of this post is now just a rehash of things we've already talked about in this thread, I'm posting this mostly complete post I have sitting in this other tab just so that I can unload it and because I fear the Marceline-Bubblegum rabbit hole.

Randandal posted:

I have a longer post half-written in another tab and I'm not sure if I'll get around to posting it but I did want to ask why everybody is so sure that Jake is the monster's son and not the monster itself.

I love virtually every post following this episode although I'm still in the :tviv: phase after watching that episode even after reading 3 pages of new posts just now. I think every post postulates extremely plausible meanings. I love and agree with Dr.Rat's idea that the shapeshifting monster represented the internal struggle Margaret had as she came to love the baby despite everything else. At first I felt resentment toward Steve Yun for bringing up rape and irreversibly coloring my thought process every time I think about this episode now, but I read the whole post and all of it including the part about the shapeshifting monster as a physical embodiment of the spirit of rape makes complete sense.

Digging a little deeper into the rape allegory which has been discussed ad nauseam... the initial solution to the monster investigation was a page out of Scooby Doo, the monster was just Wyatt - People are the real monsters - yet TreeTrunks explains that the monster is also other people. Also, Colonel Lieutenant CandyCorn (These little continuity details are great :P) reported that the monster snuck in through the window and touched him on the chest and I think that sentence expands the scope of the shapeshifting monster's horrifying metaphysical presence without needing to run amok explaining it.

That being said, all of this stuff about what the physical embodiment of the shapeshifting monster represents is all sub-sub-text where the writing staff has basically superimposed the outline of a larger story over this smaller story to let us fans fill in the outline with our own interpretations, and that can easily go on forever but it marginalizes the smaller story as "stuff for ignorant children". The smaller story was loving incredible and there's plenty of things in the sub (as opposed to sub-sub) text I would love to explore as well. Physical things instead of metaphysical things, basically.

What really had me responding to this episode with HOLY gently caress is that I interpreted the conclusion not as saying Jake is a half-dog, half-shapeshifter hybrid, but that Jake is the shapeshifting monster. He implanted himself (more likely duplicated himself) into Joshua and shapeshifted into the form of a puppy. It was (certainly?) predatory and malicious at first, but the goodness and love of Joshua and Margaret overpowered the "Chaotic Evil" within Jake and at least salvaged him into the "Chaotic Neutral" character we have today.

Unless Jake is just telling a fictitious horror story to freak Finn and BMO out (which is a completely acceptable explanation that neatly fits with every single piece of evidence, and fits Jake's previously acknowledged character by the way) then Jake knows details of this story that nobody except the monster could have known. Unless you want to write it off as some sort of genetically inherited memory file, Jake is either the sole author of a ghost story or he is literally the monster itself. His abrupt laugh at the closing reveal of the episode was more than a little bit terrifying.

The only evidence I can think of so far against my theory that Jake is the monster itself is that Joshua had the blue bump appear on his head before Margaret's heart-to-heart with the monster, and then the monster's inarguably evil laugh after Margaret left and before it jumped off into the dimensional portal definitely implies the monster had continuing malicious intentions all the way through its' final scene. Also, the Monster is blue and Jake is tan, and while they both shapeshift we've never seen then faceshift or colorshift (in fact color shifting seems to specifically be a Rainicorn power) ... Those things lend evidence to the idea that Jake and the monster are separate entities, but they stop short of proving it.

If we assume this theory is true though, then there is no way it's a coincidence that we first encountered Jake the Monster at TreeTrunks' house in the bucolic countryside, the same drat household where the Baby Lich is being raised today. I think this show has been hinting that there's something far more powerful about what TreeTrunks represents than what we've seen so far.

Aside from that this episode was hilarious and extremely well-paced throughout. I laughed my rear end off at the birthday song, at everything Jake and Margaret, everything TreeTrunks and Wyatt, the childbirth scene, Jake's Spaceballs dance, even the horrifying reveal at the end. This episode was amazing.

When they returned home in the middle of the episode and the conflict switched from the Jakemonster to Joshua's illness and it felt like the pacing might be faltering, Margaret being attacked by early labor pains brought the tension right back to a full crescendo. Also, the childbirth scene was done wonderfully and it felt unexpected even before the :tviv: moment when Jake and Jeremiah were finally born.

Did everybody notice that Jake landed in a puddle of monster goop, a puddle which I think has to be the "magic mud puddle" that Joshua & Margaret "found him in" and which Jake was searching for in The Witch's Garden - which was an episode about Jake pretending he didn't know where his powers came from or how to get them back even though he knew exactly how to get his powers back and just didn't want to confront it?

:tviv: what an amazing episode.

I think I need to rewatch the episodes with Jake and Prismo now.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Marceline is probably trans or something too

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

I think at this point nobody in this thread has much to say on that topic except "well alright then".

It's not a particularly interesting revelation, or a revelation at all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

theperminator posted:

Marceline is probably trans or something too

-my reaction to the news

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think at this point nobody in this thread has much to say on that topic except "well alright then".

It's not a particularly interesting revelation, or a revelation at all.

No, it is interesting, in that a showrunner for a kid's show just revealed that two of its major characters had a same-relationship with each other at one point. That's an awesome thing to be celebrated.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I think we already read about this a couple weeks ago. It's the same source: Olivia

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Majorian posted:

No, it is interesting, in that a showrunner for a kid's show just revealed that two of its major characters had a same-relationship with each other at one point. That's an awesome thing to be celebrated.

This . No one needs to obsess over it or geek out or get all pervy. The part that is noteworthy is that a HUGELY popular show that tons of kids watch alludes to their having had a relationship without actually spelling it out. This isn't relevant because it's 'sneaky' or 'subversive.' It's significant because it makes so little a deal out of it that it helps to reinforce to kids the notion that there is nothing abnormal about a same sex relationship.

The little things. (The bickering, hurt feelings, favorite t shirt, etc...) they just kinda say " yeah, this happened," and then they move on.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Feenix posted:

This . No one needs to obsess over it or geek out or get all pervy. The part that is noteworthy is that a HUGELY popular show that tons of kids watch alludes to their having had a relationship without actually spelling it out. This isn't relevant because it's 'sneaky' or 'subversive.' It's significant because it makes so little a deal out of it that it helps to reinforce to kids the notion that there is nothing abnormal about a same sex relationship.

The little things. (The bickering, hurt feelings, favorite t shirt, etc...) they just kinda say " yeah, this happened," and then they move on.

Exactly - the fact that it's genuinely normalizing same-sex relationships in the truest sense of the word is really awesome. They dated, and it's no more weird than the fact that Finn dated Flame Princess.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Majorian posted:

If they actually showed the relationship it would be something to celebrate but this fluffy lip service they get to deny the moment Russia threatens to ban it gets a solid "meh".

Also the romance itself is boring when essentially the only two sane people consistently around each other for close to a thousand years hook up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Randandal posted:

The only evidence I can think of so far against my theory that Jake is the monster itself is that Joshua had the blue bump appear on his head before Margaret's heart-to-heart with the monster

I'm not saying I'm totally sold on your theory, but I thought the blue bump was evidence towards your theory. The bump may have just been filling up with blue pre-natal fluids, and the portal was a peek into the blueness inside the bump on Joshua's head.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

If they actually showed the relationship it would be something to celebrate but this fluffy lip service they get to deny the moment Russia threatens to ban it gets a solid "meh".

Oh knock it off, it's progress. It's not as progressive as we'd like it to be, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Majorian posted:

Oh knock it off, it's progress. It's not as progressive as we'd like it to be, but it's still a step in the right direction.

I dunno, I kind of think that's a valid complaint. Finn and Flame Princess shared an on screen kiss, you can't really call the two relationships equally accepted until Bubblegum and Marceline can do the same.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This thread.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Please, remember that Marceline is bi, not lesbian. With all the straight-washing and gay-washing that's going on in media every character counts.

- Someone on tumblr.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
...What's gay-washing? When a homosexual person takes a shower?

Seriously, tumblr just ruins the good in everything.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Jenx posted:

It's when a bisexual character/historical figure is displayed exclusively as a homosexual.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Paladinus posted:

Please, remember that Marceline is bi, not lesbian. With all the straight-washing and gay-washing that's going on in media every character counts.

- Someone on tumblr.

Jenx posted:

Stop going to tumblr just to find stuff to complain about you dumbshits.

Back on topic, the season's wrapping up in three episodes. I wonder if we'll see Finn's dad again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What makes you think there's only three left? We were told this season was going to have between 26 and 52, I thought.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Bown posted:

What makes you think there's only three left? We were told this season was going to have between 26 and 52, I thought.

My bad, reading the season 6 entry on wikipedia wrong.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Superstring posted:

Stop going to tumblr just to find stuff to complain about you dumbshits.

Back on topic, the season's wrapping up in three episodes. I wonder if we'll see Finn's dad again.

I didn't go to tumblr - Someone posted it here, as you just quoted. I try to avoid those parts of tumblr and just stick to blogs about archeology and art.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really don't get the Jake is the monster theory at all! The monster clearly deposits an egg in Joshua, then is clearly seen leaving our reality. It is a big inter dimensional cuckoo bird. I don't see a single piece of evidence across more than 5 seasons to indicate Jake is anything more than a dog that occasionally goes overboard. Jake being an extra-dimensional sleeper agent isn't even cool or enriching. It would devalue the whole show, like finding out Finn isn't human or that it was all a dream.

I think the woman's rights reading by Axleblaze is more likely the goal of the team then Steve's rape reading (but you can't really discuss one w/o the other).

Don't care about Bubbeline, I felt like the subtext of "we we're close and now it is hard to be close to you" read clear as day and I could understand it and really think it makes the characters stronger.

I am the most excited about my prediction for the big bad this season:
I think Maja will attempt to hose Finn & Jake and accidentally summon Martin and his new pal, a blue changeling space weasel, to come and mess them up. Martin obviously might immediately run away, unless Maja makes a good offer, but big blue will be back for Jake, I know it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Finn is probably not completely human what with the insanely powerful emotion based telekinesis.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

SirDan3k posted:

Finn is probably not completely human what with the insanely powerful emotion based telekinesis.

Humans became little bug-eyed, noseless mutants at some point after the war so maybe he is a "normal" human.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I dunno, I kind of think that's a valid complaint. Finn and Flame Princess shared an on screen kiss, you can't really call the two relationships equally accepted until Bubblegum and Marceline can do the same.

But my point still stands: it's a step in the right direction for the show's creator to actually come out and say it. It may not be ENOUGH progress, and I would agree with that, but it's still a step in the right direction.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're experts at skirting censorship, so I don't think that announcement comes as a major revelation. The nature of the characters' past has been evident but not especially relevant. However, there's a bit of a chikcen-and-egg problem here: is their past irrelevant because a same-sex relationship shouldn't be a big deal, or did they make it irrelevant because they knew some broadcast regulation or other would prevent them from following through?

Of course that question doesn't apply to just this show, far from it. But it's pretty cool that it can come up in the context of a children's cartoon at all.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I just wrote and briefed an Operations Order to about 20 Army captains from 3 nations and 1 Egyptian major about defending central Oklahoma from ballistic missiles. I called it: Operation Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant.

Just thought I should tell you all that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Two Feet From Bread posted:

I just wrote and briefed an Operations Order to about 20 Army captains from 3 nations and 1 Egyptian major about defending central Oklahoma from ballistic missiles. I called it: Operation Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant.

Just thought I should tell you all that.

It's the new Star Wars SDI

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Steve Yun posted:

It's the new Star Wars SDI

Yea, I don't know what that means.

Anyways, tomorrow I have to write and brief another one. Who has any name suggestions?
Right now I am going with: Operation Ice King Slap

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He refers to the Strategic Defense Initiative proposed in 1983 as a defense against nuclear missile attacks. The proposal was colloquially called "Star Wars," especially by opponents, who (more or less correctly) considered it impractical to the point of science fiction.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Bongo Bill posted:

He refers to the Strategic Defense Initiative proposed in 1983 as a defense against nuclear missile attacks. The proposal was colloquially called "Star Wars," especially by opponents, who (more or less correctly) considered it impractical to the point of science fiction.

Oh, haha. I get it, but these aren't real missions or plans. Just multi-national planning exercises.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Operation Sassage Flare

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

You know, I could totally buy Marceline going through a phase where she called herself "Crisis".

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Adventure Time wins an Emmy!

Adventure Time Art Director Nick Jennings picked up his Individual Achievement in Animation for the episode episode “Wizards Only, Fools.”

http://pwcartoons.frederator.com/post/95118645301/a-big-round-of-applause-for-the-best-art-director

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Right after the rape episode. Coincidence?
Is it the shows first?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The connection here is that in Wizards Only Fools, Jake argues with PB about whether magic is real, and asks her to explain his existence. She says he's a mutation or something.

We finally see Jake's origin, but it can still be argued as magic or science, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I wonder if the blue creature assimilated the forms it took (owl, cat, baby) and can now take Joshua's form.

• Locked thread