Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

You're goddamn right BMO rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ruflux posted:

Doubleposting because hahahaha, CN decided upon one last gently caress you to the fanbase, I guess:

The Minecraft crossover episode is airing 20th of July. And of course absolutely no news on the finale. But I'm gonna guess it's not gonna air before this Minecraft thing that's honestly years late if they really wanted to appeal to kids.

Also a preview because sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXBicigsEo

Kids still loving love Minecraft, but I'd not call Adventure Time the right sort of thing for that now because kids aren't into Adventure Time.

It's a shame they've let the show totally putter out like this.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I didn't even know this was happening, and it's out today apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCmabsr03M

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Cartoon Network games are universally a "wait and see the reviews before even thinking about buying it" affair

That reminds me that as far as I know that supposedly buggy as hell console SU game still has never gone on sale. I was waiting for it to get cheap but that time hasn't come yet.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The bugs in Save the Light have been fixed by now, go enjoy it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they don't announce the finale air date at the Comic-Con panel on Friday I'ma do a riot

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 20, 2018

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

If they don't announce the finale air date at the Comic-Con panel on Friday I'ma do a riot

They kind of have to, there's a DVD with the final episodes coming out soon, September to be specific iirc

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Ruflux posted:

They kind of have to, there's a DVD with the final episodes coming out soon, September to be specific iirc

lmao they're not even going to air the final episodes on TV, calling it now.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zartosht posted:

lmao they're not even going to air the final episodes on TV, calling it now.

It feels insane to me that they're releasing a new game with the voice cast (as mentioned above) and there's still loads of Finn/Jake merchandise but they're absolutely loving over the show. It's like some executive actively hates it.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Taear posted:

It feels insane to me that they're releasing a new game with the voice cast (as mentioned above) and there's still loads of Finn/Jake merchandise but they're absolutely loving over the show. It's like some executive actively hates it.

You're not looking at the big picture here. It's not about the show, forget about the show. No one watches the show, the show is not the product, it's just a money pit. What matters, what REALLY matters, is the marketing! The merchandising! We don't need the show, we just need the IDEA of the show, so we can have product to tie to it. It's all the merchandising RELATED to the show that's the product, THAT'S what sells! The tie-ins, the spin-offs, the limited editions, the character designs and quotable sound bites, THOSE are where the money is, the show is the vehicle to make those happen, it doesn't really matter!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Wa11y posted:

You're not looking at the big picture here. It's not about the show, forget about the show. No one watches the show, the show is not the product, it's just a money pit. What matters, what REALLY matters, is the marketing! The merchandising! We don't need the show, we just need the IDEA of the show, so we can have product to tie to it. It's all the merchandising RELATED to the show that's the product, THAT'S what sells! The tie-ins, the spin-offs, the limited editions, the character designs and quotable sound bites, THOSE are where the money is, the show is the vehicle to make those happen, it doesn't really matter!
I do think this is their thought process. Also, as long as they never air the finale, the show is still ongoing on their network. Once it's officially over, I think they feel they can't market it as an active show anymore, it's just dead.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hard to believe the shoe is 8 years old. I remember going to NY Comic Con 6 years ago when Adventure Time was in its prime. Big Finn head balloons and tons of people wearing Finn hoodies.

Now nobody mentions it, even at an animation studio. Steven Universe is the show on everyone's lips, Adventure Time is seen as just a stepping stone in Rebecca Sugar's career.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it's more that the show took too long to get where it was trying to go.

We could have resolved absolutely everything comfortably 3 years ago. But after season 6 Everyone on the internet realized that the rapid fanbase was going gaga over the finn & flame princess teen drama and no one cared about the mythos except the same turbo spergs who flip over everything even lightly fantastical. All the tumblrina's who wanted more shipping migrated to steven universe, a show in which every character can 'fuse' with every other character and at this point gem fusion is tied irrevocably into the central emotional and 'political' plot of the show. Steven Universe is arguably the gayest show on TV right now and to the people who make TV/Fandoms into a big deal, that is the biggest deal in the history of cartoons.

I, for what its worth, enjoy the sci-fi mythos of Steven Universe and think its kind of cool, but the gem fusion thing weirds me out because i choose not to read into as a metaphor for sex (you dont have sex in the middle of a space alien fight, you don't have sex and then become just one person until you stop having sex, etc.) and the voluminous think pieces about the show being the most sexually woke thing in human history is exhausting and weird.

However, I wish people spent half as much time talking about Adventure Time, because talking about Adventure was one of my favorite things, and i can very clearly remember this thread spiking 20-30 pages in a day or two only a few years ago.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

It's not sex, it's relationships. I feel like that's a really important distinction.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it's more that the show took too long to get where it was trying to go.

We could have resolved absolutely everything comfortably 3 years ago. But after season 6 Everyone on the internet realized that the rapid fanbase was going gaga over the finn & flame princess teen drama and no one cared about the mythos except the same turbo spergs who flip over everything even lightly fantastical. All the tumblrina's who wanted more shipping migrated to steven universe, a show in which every character can 'fuse' with every other character and at this point gem fusion is tied irrevocably into the central emotional and 'political' plot of the show. Steven Universe is arguably the gayest show on TV right now and to the people who make TV/Fandoms into a big deal, that is the biggest deal in the history of cartoons.

I, for what its worth, enjoy the sci-fi mythos of Steven Universe and think its kind of cool, but the gem fusion thing weirds me out because i choose not to read into as a metaphor for sex (you dont have sex in the middle of a space alien fight, you don't have sex and then become just one person until you stop having sex, etc.) and the voluminous think pieces about the show being the most sexually woke thing in human history is exhausting and weird.

However, I wish people spent half as much time talking about Adventure Time, because talking about Adventure was one of my favorite things, and i can very clearly remember this thread spiking 20-30 pages in a day or two only a few years ago.

source your quotes

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I also remember getting super psyched and effort posting in here and invariably getting smacked with that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ every time, as if someone expressing themselves could only be found on reddit

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If you like something, you should never see what its fans are up to on the internet. I don't know if that's a self-own or what, but I've pretty much always regretted learning what I have learned.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I also remember getting super psyched and effort posting in here and invariably getting smacked with that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ every time, as if someone expressing themselves could only be found on reddit

Well, the clue that tips me off that the author of the post should be embarrassed is that it includes the word "tumblrina's"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Bongo Bill posted:

Well, the clue that tips me off that the author of the post should be embarrassed is that it includes the word "tumblrina's"

Nah, those people are real and they have been actively ruining cartoons for like 4 years.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
the only "tumblurinas" that have gotten big enough to really gently caress with cartoons are those Voltron shippers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Nah, those people are real and they have been actively ruining cartoons for like 4 years.

I think the issue is that it’s basically the same as saying “SJWs” or “snowflakes”

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Escobarbarian posted:

I think the issue is that it’s basically the same as saying “SJWs” or “snowflakes”

no it isn't.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Adventure Time is still great, though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Beefstew posted:

no it isn't.

it is

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

September 3rd. Prepare yourselves.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The ultimate adventure.

Death.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMxAmnyYDLE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTWHClql028

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Beefstew posted:

no it isn't.

It absolutely is

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cavelcade posted:

Adventure Time is still great, though.

Also, Lemongrab is the show's crowning achievement

"Mmmmmmgood morning. How dare you"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also, Lemongrab is the show's crowning achievement

"Mmmmmmgood morning. How dare you"

The way they played his agony at getting hot sauce in the eye was such a weird but great choice. I’ve never forgotten it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-V3oSPjGVI

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

business hammocks posted:

The way they played his agony at getting hot sauce in the eye was such a weird but great choice. I’ve never forgotten it.

That was Pep But

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

That was Pep But

Not that memorable after all, I guess. I mixed it together with lemongrab crying after getting punched in the stomach.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Minecraft episode was pretty neat. Been a long time since I've played that game, it was fun revisiting it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

September 3rd. Prepare yourselves.

I really wonder how it'll end.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Taear posted:

I really wonder how it'll end.

I wonder if they'll lead to the stuff they hinted at in Grables 3000 (or whatever the episode was called). None of the characters knows that version of the world, so it's not like they know to avoid it. Candy war looks like it got rid of most of the remaining life, and everything else is in stasis in a gumball guardian, Ice Elemental flying around, etc.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

IUG posted:

I wonder if they'll lead to the stuff they hinted at in Grables 3000 (or whatever the episode was called). None of the characters knows that version of the world, so it's not like they know to avoid it. Candy war looks like it got rid of most of the remaining life, and everything else is in stasis in a gumball guardian, Ice Elemental flying around, etc.

Naa. It seems unlikely that it'd have an unhappy ending.

Has anyone played Pirates of the Enchirideon yet?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IUG posted:

Given how the show treats its lore, it’s probably not going to be beholden to hints visible in a few scattered episodes. The ruins seen when the show has any content set in the far future fits in with the theory of the sublime the artists used to talk about when the show was new: seeing a bounded portion of something that clearly has more to it than you can see produces sublimity.

The end will probably just throw in some significant changes but keep the story open, as the show has always done.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

This one is going to hurt a little, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

No.1 Special posted:

This one is going to hurt a little, isn't it?

It better

• Locked thread