Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Pick posted:

I'd be perfectly happy for the Lich to be gone permanently. He's not really that interesting.

For me it's not that he isn't interesting, but that there isn't really anywhere to go with his character any more. We got his origin story and he sort of succeeded in ending all life for a while until being beaten in a clever way. I think it would cheapen his creepiness if they brought him back with yet another end-all-life scheme. I would be okay with a cameo like the one in King Worm, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Lich has more value as a backstory character. Maybe it's Finn's ancestor, maybe it was Hunsen Abadeer's buisness partner...

But yeah, he literally almost murdered everything and succeeded, we're only here because Prismo is such a cool guy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I doubt even Abadeer would want to partner with the Lich.
I'm more interested in his relationship with Peppermint Butler. Were they old golfing buddies?

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Everybody, there's a new king in town.

Get ready.

Bust Rodd posted:

The Lich has more value as a backstory character. Maybe it's Finn's ancestor, maybe it was Hunsen Abadeer's buisness partner...

But yeah, he literally almost murdered everything and succeeded, we're only here because Prismo is such a cool guy.

I love it when villains win, even if it's only temporary :allears:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

I doubt even Abadeer would want to partner with the Lich.

I want to see more of Abadeer. His character is just so great (even if his true form is really dumb looking.)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Whorelord posted:

The sort of 'design min-maxing' that the AT staff use is pretty effective. The main characters have such minimal features it means that when you get someone like Ricardio (also an awesome villain) or The Lich with a much more defined design appears you really notice. Maybe that's whats wrong for Maja?

Haha, 'design min-maxing'. I agree, that totally applies to the Lich. I don't know if the same applies Ricardio though, he seems too John K. influenced and seems to be drawing from a different style than the rest of the show. It's just a completely different approach to character design and seems more like a hold-over from a previous era of cartoons (I guess Spongebob is still around).

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mokinokaro posted:

I want to see more of Abadeer. His character is just so great (even if his true form is really dumb looking.)
There's still a millenium of Marceline backstory to cover, so I'm guessing Hunson will be back.
And of course, there is still the matter of Marcy's (supposedly human) mom.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Is there more about Abadeer in the Encyclopedia? Or is it just written by him?

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Tupping Liberty posted:

Is there more about Abadeer in the Encyclopedia? Or is it just written by him?

There's quite a bit more about him, yeah. But the book isn't entirely canon, so....

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

The book actually contradicts the show in a few places, so it's probably not a good indicator of where the show's going.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 7, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Everything is canon until it isn't. And visa versa.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

boom boom boom posted:

Only the show is canon. The comic, the games and the encyclopedia are all based off the show, but the show makers don't care about contradicting them.

Actually, supposedly the new game is going to reveal something about PB's past, so it is possible it may be canon. Then again, its not coming out until November, so its quite possible the show might reveal it before the game.

But yeah, the comics, the encyclopedia, and the graphic novel have all been confirmed (through multiple asks on twitter and formspring) to not be canon. The AT staff doesn't take them into consideration when creating episodes.

MojoKingBee fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 22, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boom boom boom posted:

Only the show is canon. The comic, the games and the encyclopedia are all based off the show, but the show makers don't care about contradicting them.

The show isn't even canon, all sorts of things on the show contradict each other.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The show isn't even canon, all sorts of things on the show contradict each other.

I dunno, I think the show is usually pretty consistent. Usually. Every show's got consistency errors here and there.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

I dunno, I think the show is usually pretty consistent. Usually. Every show's got consistency errors here and there.

Nah, this show tends to be real loosey goosey with the facts, once they actually deal with something in the plot they tend to pin it down more solidly, but there is a ton of stuff in one off jokes that either has been contradicted ("I made this crown with magic I stole") or clearly would be if they decided to go another way (PB having an uncle). Generally if someone says something in a joke it's pretty clear it's not set in stone and the later writers can either confirm it or just ignore it and the show doesn't care.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

("I made this crown with magic I stole")

Maybe that was the spirit of the crown talking and not Simon :tinfoil:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Never let continuity get in the way of telling a good joke.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nah, this show tends to be real loosey goosey with the facts, once they actually deal with something in the plot they tend to pin it down more solidly, but there is a ton of stuff in one off jokes that either has been contradicted ("I made this crown with magic I stole") or clearly would be if they decided to go another way (PB having an uncle). Generally if someone says something in a joke it's pretty clear it's not set in stone and the later writers can either confirm it or just ignore it and the show doesn't care.

Oh, you mean like from Season 1. Yeah, at this point I wouldn't consider Season 1 entirely canon either.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Hell if Slumber party panic was still followed completely we'd have half the Candy Kingdom in sugary ash piles

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MojoKingBee posted:

Oh, you mean like from Season 1. Yeah, at this point I wouldn't consider Season 1 entirely canon either.

I don't think they thought they were going to get enough episodes to have to worry about it. I remember it really looking like it'd be a kooky one-season wonder.

And here we are!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

Nah, I'm sure if in a few seasons they want to bring crow-bitch back and decide something about the original appearance doesn't fit they aren't gonna feel any more trapped into having to follow some detail than they were with the old stuff, It's just that sort of show.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nah, I'm sure if in a few seasons they want to bring crow-bitch back and decide something about the original appearance doesn't fit they aren't gonna feel any more trapped into having to follow some detail than they were with the old stuff, It's just that sort of show.

I still am waiting for them to bring "Witch" back, who I guess doesn't even have a proper name since that's her name on a AT Wikia.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"I made this crown with magic I stole"

Ice King is legitimately insane, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

Hell if Slumber party panic was still followed completely we'd have half the Candy Kingdom in sugary ash piles

How do you know it's not? drat place is made out of candy, a pile of sugar laying just out of screen would blend right in.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.

TwoPair posted:

How do you know it's not? drat place is made out of candy, a pile of sugar laying just out of screen would blend right in.

Plot twist: The entire Candy Kingdom is built from the corpses of candy people

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I don't got any videos because I am drunk. Here is the deal. In "City of Thieves" When the dude gets the diamond stolen out of his tooth.. The Simpsons did that poo poo first.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not

Miltank posted:

I don't got any videos because I am drunk. Here is the deal. In "City of Thieves" When the dude gets the diamond stolen out of his tooth.. The Simpsons did that poo poo first.

Well, looks like it's time to pack it up everybody.

It was a good run while it lasted, but it turns out we were watching a Simpsons rip-off the whole time

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

myname_isdoug posted:

Well, looks like it's time to pack it up everybody.

It was a good run while it lasted, but it turns out we were watching a Simpsons rip-off the whole time

i remember when bart slew the lich in one on one combat and then homer accidently dropped marge into a pool of toxic waste and said "doh!". i believe lisa was in her room the entire episode.

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
I think the reason I have a problem with Finn going straight back to PB in "Too Young" is because it seems to contradict significant build up that he was over her. Namely, his confession to her in "Burning Low", the cut across the cheek in "The Lich", and his "that road leads to nowhere" line in "The Suitor". It feels almost contrived to me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You're thinking about it too logically. Finn is not in a logical place in this episode. While you're in a relationship, it's easy to look back and see what was wrong but now he's knocked into a confused, emotionally painful place and what he used to have is starting to look good. He wants to go back to the way things were before Flame Princess os he doesn't have to think about Flame Princess. He figures that since Flame Princess is gone, things should go back to the way they were and he tries to force it. He's not thinking about how miserable perusing Bubblegum has made him. He's in a confused place and is gravitating towards the last girl that showed him affection but he's specifically going after young PB who doesn't actually exist anymore.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

I think the reason I have a problem with Finn going straight back to PB in "Too Young" is because it seems to contradict significant build up that he was over her. Namely, his confession to her in "Burning Low", the cut across the cheek in "The Lich", and his "that road leads to nowhere" line in "The Suitor". It feels almost contrived to me.

A teenage boy being illogical or inconsistent about romance and dating, how unrealistic!

MojoKingBee
Sep 4, 2011

Get ready.
Yeah, I guess that's pretty on par for puberty and general teenage awkwardness. I was thinking of it more from a storytelling perspective, when I guess I should look at it from the character's perspective

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Treat Season 1 of Adventure Time like Season 1 of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just saw Wizard Battle for the first time. Power Shriek is one of my favorite AT moments.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

I just saw Wizard Battle for the first time. Power Shriek is one of my favorite AT moments.

The most shameful of all magics.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Protagorean posted:

Treat Season 1 of Adventure Time like Season 1 of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

How dare you imply it's anywhere near that awful.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Protagorean posted:

Season one of AT isn't nearly as cringe worthy as season one of TNG and I'm order of magnitudes more a Trek fan then I am an AT fan.

SevenSixTwoX39
Jun 28, 2009

Capitalism has triumphed all over the world, but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.
Season one is as much a contender for best season as any other, I think. Evicted, Freak City, Dungeon, all amazing episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's worth watching Evicted to see how much of an outright villain Marceline was in her first appearance. Also for Pen's househunting song. He really needs to sing more often in this show.

• Locked thread