Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I haven't seen a recent episode of the show in a long time. Is there any background for:

Finn's missing sock
Jake's makeup and purse
The angry squirrel

that I should have known about?

I'm guessing not and that this makes the episode better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I spent most of that episode convinced that the whole thing was a simulation PB cooked up to teach/indoctrinate Lemonhope.

I thought this until the moment it was revealed that Lemonhope had actually liberated the lemon people and Bubblegum and Finn were there to clean things up. I hadn't realized that the pirate ship was always on sand and took the transition to a desert setting as a huge tip-off.

Because of that I have to believe that Phlannel Boxingday is his own character--some kind of male relation of Bubblegum's. His philosophy is was different from Bubblegum, and she didn't seem clever enough to figure out that she had to appeal to Lemonhope on that level when convincing him to be the lemon people's champion. And really Boxingday didn't appeal to Lemonhope at all but just said what he himself believed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

You shouldn't bet on Princess Bubblegum being insufficiently clever for any scheme.

She does gently caress things up a lot, though. I'm sure that if you asked her, she would scoff at the idea of psychology being a science or worth any serious attention at all. She didn't really seem to grasp that she had chosen the wrong way to appeal to that little poo poo to make him a lemon champion.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Steampunk Gent posted:

~Possible season six episode summaries~ (obviously huge spoilers)

e: pulled, some things man was not meant to know

They're all obviously fake. There's no way they'd do so much in six episodes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

My GF noticed that Defeat the Lich on BBL had a little star next to it and the same star is next to "lie in the Ocean", like he put an asterisks next to the Lich item. In Billy's mind those two tasks were importantly linked. Also Finn had already done more than half of that this season!

Also I may have over analyzed it but in the scene where Finn walks down the pier there are absolutely some frames where he isn't wearing the Grass Blade but it is back right before he falls off. Maybe the editor didn't catch this?

I think the whale = Finn's Fear of growing up and his hat = his love of childhood.

Eventually Finn's childhood is consumed by his fear of growing up, turning him into a big greedy monster. Upon awakening he subconsciously realized that his fears (death, aging, lonliness) we're going to keep eating him and keeping him down until he grows up. Also I like how the ocean contained a ruined city, indicating Polar Ice Cap fuckery.

This finale was excellent. Even Finn coolly asking out Canyon but not making a big deal out of it showed real growth. Peak Finn coolness isn't Finn ignoring Girls, it's just being cool about it vs. being a creep.
Excited for the month off to rewatch the whole series again... I wonder what Maja is up to?

Did he maybe star the Lich item because he'd already done it? Like he had a few checked off that he'd finished? He was the one to trap the Lich in the candy kingdom tree, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

How disappointed would you be if it turns out to be Farm World Finn's dad in that crystal?
There's no real evidence, except they have the same single curly hair on top of their heads.

He'll be a more built version but without the weirdly realistic nose and eyes, plus no male pattern baldness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is a completely asinine request to post but I vaguely remember a quote from Rebecca Sugar about the episode "The Real You," where she said that when Finn became super-smart he still had to be right and decent because the show would be teaching the wrong lesson if it equated intelligence with inauthenticity or cruelty.

Can anybody help me find it? "The Real You" is the second-season episode where Finn finds a pair of glasses that makes him super smart. I believe her quote has come up in this thread before.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

XboxPants posted:

It's gone. However, with a little necromantic wizardry...

WOOSH

Thank you so much! I have been looking everywhere for that! There was more there than what I had remembered too. And I too learned what a tesseract was from Carl Sagan!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That ending was really dark, in that Tree Trunks thinks that a baby will save a failing marriage.

IT WILL JUST MAKE THINGS WORSE IN THE END!

Also Martin is not Finn's dad. There can be multiple ancient human cosmic criminals.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He grew a flower because he got crystal plant sap on his arm. If he had made it to the surface he would have gotten guardian blood. That is some bad luck.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SgtSteel91 posted:

I didn't really see it as a failing marriage, just that uncertainty when one spouse wants to ask the other about having children.

Didn't she say "I want a div--" before the bell rang? I can only imagine that would end as "divorce."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

smashpro1 posted:

So, is the Grass Sword the sword that Finn used for the shortest amount of time?

I wonder if that's why they changed his model to have it on him. Or if it was just a warm-up for a one-armed Finn.

I am also warming up to the idea that Martin is Finn's father, though his confusion and lack of an answer when Finn asked him about his birth is still confusing. But a teen with a deadbeat dad is a really rich story to mine when writing about adolescence. Also, it would send the absolute wrong message if a better dad for Finn just dropped out of the sky to save him from being abandoned and all the feelings and confusion that come with it. I kind of sense that at least some of the show's writers grew up with single moms: they're of the generation where middle-class white father flight was at its statistical peak (1970-1990).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

One of the biggest themes of this show is "it's okay if bad stuff happens". Viewing it through the lens of children's programming, the fact that Finn doesn't dwell on having an rear end in a top hat dad (and he won't after the next episode) sends an incredibly positive message and is really not something most cartoons would even consider attempting to deal with.

This episode alone potentially reached out to children with rear end in a top hat dads and children who are amputees. I don't think it can be underestimated how powerful that can be, which is why I legit feel bad for kids that aren't allowed to watch it due to violence/double entendres. I honestly think this show could be looked upon as one of the smartest, most significant pieces of children's entertainment ever made in 20-30 years or so, in large part due to how inclusive and progressive it is.

It really is wonderful that there's a show out there affirming that kind of message. It and Steven Universe are probably the best shows for kids to come along in a long time because they both suggest perseverance in the face of tragedy rather than self-destruction and misery.

This show is life-affirming, no matter what.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It couldn't have been the Lich's plan because the Lich only started moving after it heard that killing Prismo would get him sent to the Citadel. If he already knew that, he would have acted once they brought the old man into the time room. Prismo knows what's up, too: I don't think he was wrong about the Lich being passive until the opportunity for more death presented itself.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bown posted:

Did you guys notice that bit when Prismo said they had to commit a cosmic crime and then the Cosmic Owl suddenly had to leave? Being a cosmic creature himself he probably wanted to get himself out of harm's way!

Yeah, the Lich is really, obviously looming in the background of all the shots where Jake and Finn talk about how it's all going to work out ok. Cosmic Owl knows what's up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tree Trunks has commitment issues. She had two other husbands aside from the one who crashed her wedding. Girl needs some therapy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

XboxPants posted:

I can only imagine not letting Tree Trunks & Mr. Pig have any knowledge that their new baby potentially contains world-threatening danger is a completely great idea and will never have any complications. :downs:

Agreeing with many others that the Lich shouldn't come back, at least not for quite some time. He was a great enemy up until now, but as the series (and Finn) change tone, an antagonist like Martin or PB just fits so much better. Not like PB would even have to be a Bad Guy, just someone working cross-purposes to Finn, or even just causing problems that he has to solve. A more complicated enemy for a more complicated show.

That's not to say that the Lich and the straight-forward threat he represents could never return, of course. It'd just have to be done in a way that fits the show. (the typical, obvious method would be to wait a while, and then make them fight him as a way to demonstrate Finn's growth but these writers could come up with others, I'm sure)

Prismo said it all: the Lich is a machine that acts only to cause death. He's not really a person at all, in the sense that he never thinks about or even sees anything else. He just acts when he sees an opportunity, which I thought this episode demonstrated really nicely when the Lich just started melting everything. He didn't really have a plan, but just jumped from a situation where he had no chance to kill to another where he might. He's like a roomba, or one of those toy flowers wearing sunglasses that dances when it's motion detector gets tripped.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Martin specifically said "hey fellas, looking for a new boss?" and the criminals didn't do or say anything to make it seem like they turned him down so I think it's safe to assume he's calling the shots in that gang.

Or they just ignored him. The one doesn't speak English.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bass Bottles posted:

So it's the old-school version of TV Tropes. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It's structural anthropology, but then somebody read Campbell right before going out to see The Empire Strikes Back and the rest is history.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm worried about that deer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

No, you're all thinking of Luke Skywalker.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrSlam posted:

The VA requested Root Beer Guy's death so the Banana Guards would still be idiots. Now they're stuck in a six issue comic about a character who will ultimately die and all his accomplishments will be for naught.

There's oversight on the show, right? They have supervisors don't they?

What? Has he ever watched the show? It may not be as hag-ridden by continuity and obligation to logical consequence as he may think.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Octopode posted:

The Ice King in Finn the Human froze a bomb, not a comet. Whether or not that bomb was filled with Lich-comet goop or just normal magic goop is up for debate.

Also the goo could have been below the bomb and set off by its impact.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

The odd thing is that episodes like these... how do kids even understand what's going on? I mean, these eps that are a lot more "artsy than fartsy" must just go over like a lead balloon, right?

I think they'll make a very deep mark on the kids and determine their tastes and obsessions, just as the supposedly challenging cartoons from 20 years ago show a clear mark on the people who made this episode.

It's like the cycle of abuse, but philosophical. Didn't the weirdest poo poo from your childhood end up sticking with you forever?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

TwoPair posted:

A lot kids' shows/games/entertainment do that. Saying god is fine as long as it's the lower-case-g god of something. Like how Avengers cartoons can have Thor call himself the god of thunder. But there's never a capital-G God (on screen), so as to not risk offending the "easily offended Christian moms" demographic.

"Sweet Zombie [silent mouth movement]!"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, how was Abracadaniel able to use Ice King's crown? Can he do real wiz biz after all? I'm glad that a dick joke who probably only made it onto the show because somebody got a big laugh from the group with the name Abracadaniel is now a solid tertiary character.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So when the Lich starts speaking, Sweet P does as well but then fades out as the Lich takes over, which is bad. But even when the Lich is in full control he leaves the King of Ooo alive at the end, which seems good? The Lich has never not killed someone when it was a possibility, so maybe there will be a happy ending.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

People who look suspiciously like their characters...

I didn't know that Martin Olson was Hunson Abadeer! That's on purpose for sure.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As has already been said in the commercials thread, Moxie is a regional soda in New England that tastes extremely bitter compared to contemporary colas. It's an acquired taste mostly enjoyed by the same kind of people who would call it "a tonic."

It has modernization problems beyond lack of brand awareness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Parody would cover all of those no matter how close they got, though, right?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That improv joke was pretty inspired.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, the show's done a pretty good job of keeping him a destructive turd even though the other characters treat him with sympathy and understanding.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, chock full of jokes just like it should be.

Couple of points.

Guy in freezer?

It looks like a different style than everything else, almost like a John K. design. I hope these kids doing cartoons now leave him in the Gen X dumpster where he belongs.

That photo looks like some 60s/hipster album cover or something. Hopefully just a visual reference and not more deep history about other characters. Marcy wouldn't have no kids.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jake's aging in real time, you guys. He's like 12 now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Weren't there Ren and Stimpy episodes where they died of old age in the blackness of space?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

John K is reprehensible garbage best left forgotten. I thank god every day that the Adventure Time art-school kids were into Jhonen Vasquez instead. And also probably Doug.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ToastyPotato posted:

That's really cool.

But does this mean the people behind Spongebob and Flapjack were John K fans? Because those cartoons both loved using the occasional gross out humor and "detailed cut a way close up" gag. (Which I admit I find hilarious.)

I hope not, because the people behind Flapjack include Pendleton Ward and Kent Osborne.

John K is like the nega-version of people like them, in that he's trapped in the past and can't tolerate anything more recent than Terry Toons and says terrible things about everything after 1955. In a way, he was kind of like the 1990s version of the animators working now, only he was bitter and excluded everyone else instead of inviting kids into the old stuff he loved. Now they're celebrating the 1990s and doing a good job of it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I swear he called some post-1960s Warner Brothers cartoon cat a gay retard or something similar in a documentary, but I can't find it so take that with a grain of salt. He basically hates everything modern and wishes cartoons still looked like they did in the 30s, and is very rude about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Party Pat has some hosed-up dreams. Banana Man too. I love that we keep seeing glimpses of Lemon Hope despite his total absence from the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

raditts posted:

Mountain time doesn't get it's own feed now, does it? I figured it was just lumped in with central for TV purposes, back in the 80s I remember networks saying "central and mountain" for the hour-behind time.

I remember a commercial for Clarissa Explains It All where she was explained that Mountain could be either Central or Western, so people there should check their local listings.

• Locked thread