Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't think Ice King can really be called the main antagonist of the show anymore. That is clearly the Lich's deal. Certainly in the early seasons, but he is basically just their crazy uncle Simon at this point. Maybe not worth changing in the OP but I can't recall if Ice King did anything evil this season, at least since Simon & Marcy.

Why should Jake's kids be spoilers? They are now cast members, they aren't a big secret, and Jake's relationship with Lady is basically always great, so it doesn't potentially spoil anything I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Lich has more value as a backstory character. Maybe it's Finn's ancestor, maybe it was Hunsen Abadeer's buisness partner...

But yeah, he literally almost murdered everything and succeeded, we're only here because Prismo is such a cool guy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The first time I heard him belt out "OH MARCELINE! Why are you so MEAN?"
It touched me somehow, and now I throw that episode on just when I'm cleaning up my apartment because it gets me to move faster when I need a boost. Also because I LOVE the line "an angry cloud man and his beautiful cloud bride". The only other song that even comes close to hitting my heart strings is "A tough 'tootin' baby".

Speaking of that song, I rewatched all of the Flame Princess episodes and I really thought her reaction to Finn and Jake's bet after he ruined her dinner party is proof positive that she and Finn were meant to be.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For the goon that asked, "crop dusting" in this context refers to laying cloud after cloud of Silent-But-Deadly poots in a room. I learned this in college.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or it's a nod to him regaining his memories while the crown is absent?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yes, pillow hand, his super robo arm from the enchiridion, his dinky arm in the lich-verse. At some point Finn must confront something that will severely wound him and claim a hand. I hope and pray that if they have the good sense to end AT on a high note instead of dragging it out forever, they will have the climactic final battle claim Finns hand after all.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I loved this superb episode, but I don't really get why it was in the vault. What was so much scarier to Finn about the green witch than anything else?

Also, I have loved all of Finn's swords, I hope they have an episode where he has to get a new one and we get to see where all his weapons come from.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah, I think they're better than having an international role model very vocally run from his problems. He is a hero, not a coward.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Am I the only one who dorks out really hard over the show's awesome magic items? The crown of flaming fists, the battle moon, the cursed glove of becoming a cavity creep, all just awesome awesome.

Also, slightly off topic, but in the Vault, Jake claims to download a new game, and later Finn calls Peebles... Who is running the OoooNternet? I think that'd be a cool episode, though I heartily accept the MO city doing it.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 1, 2013

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh my stars in heaven how beautiful. It just goes to show you that when something rely is creative, it inspires other artists. If love to see a Finn and LSP.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So I just rewatched apple thief, and I have a question. Jake and Finn were raised together, right? He keeps alluding to stuff that he used to do that Finn doesn't know about, so I'm wondering what was Finn up to while Jake was being bad.

I have this idea that maybe Finn went on this big quest to see what happened to his folks when he was like 8. He already knows what happened to them so that why it's never brought up on the show.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure a full scale global mutation would plunge us into feudalism, probably overnight.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Originally he was just a boom-boom baby.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Oh please oh please let it finally be his sword arm!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So, I'm as hardcore if a gamer as it gets and my partner loves playing with me, but anything more difficult then "hit the mans with your fireball" is probably beyond them. How does this game stack up that way?

Is it fun like the show? What game is it the most comparable too, the videos aren't doing a great job explaining it, and I want so badly to play an AT video game, but 40 for a crappy diablo clone seems beat.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Because Adventure Time is art and sometimes they just employ strong writing with lots of little flourishes.

Of the leaf signifies the Death of Finn's innocence.

My favorite part of the Pit was the butterfly. The consistency of that part of his character is so huge for me. He is like a butterfly, flying through life, constantly changing and unaware of how happy he makes the world by being himself.

Adventure Time: Best Show

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 19, 2013

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Say Nothing posted:

He was looking right after Samantha left.
Speaking of Samantha, why do I get the feeling I've seen a cartoon character who looks exactly like her before? I'm sure I've seen her in some obscure animation somewhere.
Could it be just because she's a generic, anthropomorphic cartoon dog, or does anyone else get a sense of deja vu from her design?

She is the creepy barf deer with twiddly fingers in a wig. It's the same face as that "jake is insane" episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have a fan theory, prepare!:
This episode makes me think that the comet Finn was in a past life crashed into Earth and deposited a powerful alien material on Earth. The human form of the Lich uses this junk to build a huge bomb and sets off the AT time line.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Right I totally understood that. But when they say that the bomb is what creates the Lich, I interpreted that as "the Lich was a guy pre mushroom bomb and became undead because of it.". I don't think a pile of horny bones just crawled out of the crater unprovoked. No one is just born a Lich.

I just watched these and didn't see anything that contradicts that, but I'm willing to be totally wrong about that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Are the AT comics collected in trades yet? Or should I just try and find all the issues?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As a longtime hardcore Magic player, that episode was clearly written by someone who either plays the game or lives with someone who plays. It just hits too close to home.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The line that really drives it home is when Jake warns Finn not to show his hand, then plays a card that reveals Finns hand and then makes fun of Finn's cards. It is just so perfect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Devil Wears Wings posted:

It was at that point that I realized that, as much fun as I had playing the game, I did not want to be around other M:TG players.
Unfortunately, the same thing of Magic is true of cartoons.

Bluntly, I'm a grown rear end man who has made nerding about art my life. I teach poetry to inner city kids, but my passions are cartoons, comic books, video games and Magic cards. I've also been running a LARPing summer camp for 8 years, and I coach Magic:tG and D&D after school. Adventure Time is probably the greatest cartoon that I've ever seen but man, trying to find other adults in the city who I can have grown up conversations about AT or M:tG or D&D is hard as hell.

I am not a brony, I'm not an Otaku, but I work with kids and I have to get through all the garbage they watch to do my job correctly. Other adults don't take these things as seriously, and that's why these little kids are obsessed with cars and guns and cash and not just being silly and fun & free. The ones who do take it seriously I think are taking lots of different things from the show. I think the show is about art, exploration & growth, not about sexy ooze girl make outs or ridiculous fancraft of MLP vs AT Who-would-win?

My boss, the owner of my summer camp and LARPing toy company hosted a zone at Burning Man with me where people could come in out of the party to sit on a couch/hammock/trampoline and watch AT/Super Jail and we provided fingerpaints to everyone, it was fantastic, and the only time I ran a workshop for adults where I wasn't straight up embarrassed for some of the participants.

What I'm saying is that I'm so grateful for this thread today, to talk about AT openly without having to walk away halfway through the conversation because you just asked if I thought Marceline wears a bra.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 7, 2014

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This episode is layered with humor. I am so excited for where this season ends up, although I can see AT bucking what we expect and there being a dance party two-parter where nothing of consequence or danger happens.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ugh, Be More is the BMO backstory episode where you meet all the MOs and see where she came from. It's the cutest.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The zep being full of trash is kinda the best part of the episode, because it's the biggest indictment of him outside of the ceremony, and the only reason we believe Peebles. I love how that frame of animation changes the entire episode just enough to really give the plot some extra dimensions.

LSPs scenes were hilarious also.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I hope that this marks Finn turning over a new leaf. He has been wacked out with poobrain with all his lady biz and his last few Peebles missions have been basically disasters. Maybe this dude just gets a sweet magic sword because he is Ooo's greatest champ and he deserves it?

I also think the touch of having him cut out little Finn heads was nothing short of hauntingly beautiful. I hate to jump on the bawagon, but can I see a GIF of him reducing the grass behemoth to a cute Finn head?

As a hardcore loot obsessed nerd (Pathfinder, Borderlands 2, Diablo 3, etc.) having a real magic item with sweet powers is part of what makes adventures so exciting to me, and this makes this episode skyrocket to probably my 2nd or 3rd fave instantly (After the Limit and Simon & Marcy).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My theory on the spoilered Episode about Ice King:I think its pretty clear that he would revert to Simon, discover that Betty had died many years ago and was beyond recover, and then just opt back into ice King mode so he didn't have to think about it. Heartbreaking, but the most likely imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
IK Spoilers Discussion: so call me literally insane, but wouldn't it be nice if they just let Simon have his peace? AT has a reputation for bucking trends and messing with the status quo already. Ice King is a lovable goof, sure, but Simon is the only reason we even have Marceline. In an alternate timeline he sacrifices himself to save the world. Adventure Time has been great about lobbing the occasional hand grenade of sincerity at us, especially over the Ice King, and if anyone in the land of Ooo deserves some peace at last it's him.

Further, if they are setting up a big wizard battle for everyone, writing Simon out of the show gives them away to not just fall back on the Ice Crown as the Weapon of Magical Destruction it always seems to be. I don't think for a minute a lesser show could kill off such a great character, but I trust these guys to do what's right/best for the show.

Does anyone else think those cute little cartoons of Penn Ward that she drew look just like Simon? Specifically the round headbeard?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I liked this episode and I don't get the reference to the fist fight and it seems to fit perfectly with the show so I don't get the hate there.

Jake is written out of the show a lot because he is literally a demigod with phenomenal powers and can just shapeshift away every problem. They have to use him less in episodes about Finn's human frailty because Jake makes up for all of Finn's weaknesses.

I think a huge part of this episode is the idea that Finn has really seen himself grow and change a lot which gives him this weird sense of entitlement towards FP. "I fixed what was wrong, I learned my lesson, I'm exercising a lot (that line killed me), so obviously you're just gonna like me again now, right?"
This episode is important because it highlights how FP was treating Finn like a warrior and Finn was just treating her like the old FP.

The Cinnamon Bun wake-up call is also important because Finn is basically never effectively emasculated by other warriors and CB really shows him up hard. No, Finn, a cool sword and moxy are not enough anymore. You need to stop acting like a goon, even CB knows that.

I'm predicting one more episode about Finn trolling around being a douche and then he realizes he needs to put up or shut up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A finn & jake bro quest of soul searching the other remaining landmasses would absolutely hook me for the next two years easily.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As a huge fan of the progression of the show, I feel like the real dearth of jokes here was super glaring. I live in a very slang heavy community, so the usual splash of AT-isms in their speech hardly ever really get a chuckle from and it was clearly meant to carry all the comedic weight except for maybe the bass joke.

"The tightest of WizBiz" definitely cracked me up, sure, but I think the scene of Jake carrying Finn/Marcy while she voiced over the reminder of why she cares was also the first time in a long time I felt the invisible hand of an editor is my awesome show, touching stuff. I can't remember AT ever feeling that way before.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
But it is RICH with plotly good stuff. If nothing else, it demands some Finn reflection and adventuring, globetrotting perhaps?

Also more of the fun little guy!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Box prince was an episode for cat people, and we loved it. I can totally understand dog people not liking it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Best Episode.

The dream sequences were all thoughtful and great for interpretation.

I think the bubblegum man was actually a dig at the idea that he needed that nature (as opposed to nurture) upbringing. He needed a traditional males approach instead of the female one, which is why a male scientist explorer was a better role model.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This episode of Adventure Time about a little boy going on a magical adventure was excellent.

I really came away from this identifying with Lemonhope.

I mean really, who the heck would want to rule the Lemon Kingdom? It's boring and drab and everyone there looks like poo poo. Who cares if PB tells you over and over again that it's your destiny, they suck and gently caress that.

I think the dream sequences set this episode head and shoulders over all the other serious episodes except Simon & Marcy.

I also disagree that this being a two-parter precluded Betty from being a 2 parter, and I think Lemonhope's journey was way more interesting than Betty.
They are telling the stories they want to tell instead of stories we want to hear and I think expanding on the Betty Episode just causes more questions that don't help.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 12, 2014

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really doubt that they had wanted the episode to say more. Betty would have been longer. Just because it's envisioned as a 2-parter doesn't mean they aren't going to edit it down by removing the chaff.

Also, I was thinking about how Jake/Finn seemingly don't react to human Simon and that was the part of Betty that bugged me, but they've watched his Xmas tapes so they already know who it is.

I also think that DreamPB screaming unacceptable was his subconscious recognition that all figureheads are the same in the end. PB might not a total sociopath, but she is not above ruining someone's wedding and them imprisoning everyone there or mass executing her own creations (I don't differentiate making candy people as any different from robots, hell the Gumball guardians are both!).

The more I think about the more I feel that Phlannel isn't PB. She can't have just left Ooo for a month and change to baby sit Lemonhope in the desert and then another couple weeks while they were exploring.

How do you interpret Lemonhope's reaction to the barrel of limes? His nervous laugh really got me.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
But she specifically says in the episode that she wrote it for his homecoming and that she was surprised he left. It's open to your interpretation but I think framing the final scene as a maybe really takes all of the impact away.

I also don't think lemongrab will default to evil, he is clearly part Fatgrab and part white grab and should be balanced.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 17, 2014

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lemonhope's entire point was that while some people are happy to do whatever it takes for their people, that lifestyle comes with a sacrifice... Namely your own ambitions. LH decided to save them because he can't be free unless they are free, but his freedom is a different thing than their freedom.

edit: tousle?

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My GF noticed that Defeat the Lich on BBL had a little star next to it and the same star is next to "lie in the Ocean", like he put an asterisks next to the Lich item. In Billy's mind those two tasks were importantly linked. Also Finn had already done more than half of that this season!

Also I may have over analyzed it but in the scene where Finn walks down the pier there are absolutely some frames where he isn't wearing the Grass Blade but it is back right before he falls off. Maybe the editor didn't catch this?

I think the whale = Finn's Fear of growing up and his hat = his love of childhood.

Eventually Finn's childhood is consumed by his fear of growing up, turning him into a big greedy monster. Upon awakening he subconsciously realized that his fears (death, aging, lonliness) we're going to keep eating him and keeping him down until he grows up. Also I like how the ocean contained a ruined city, indicating Polar Ice Cap fuckery.

This finale was excellent. Even Finn coolly asking out Canyon but not making a big deal out of it showed real growth. Peak Finn coolness isn't Finn ignoring Girls, it's just being cool about it vs. being a creep.
Excited for the month off to rewatch the whole series again... I wonder what Maja is up to?

• Locked thread