Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gally posted:

Oh no I like Cinnamon Bun now.

King Cinnamon Bun made the episode for me. Or Grand Vizier Cinnamon Bun. Or jester Cinnamon Bun. Not sure what his role is exactly.

Also, while I like where Flame Princess's arc has gone, I kind of hope they're not completely tying off the relationship angle with Finn. I almost found it odd how finished they portrayed the two of them. I guess he doesn't have to have a girlfriend, but then again he is still the adventurer boy-hero and coming of age/puberty's a pretty major theme. The supporting cast already has two of his former love-interests, I find it hard to believe they could introduce another potential girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Another Lich attack at some point (maybe a season finale) might be a good way to knock some of these dominoes about. Flame Princess, Lemongrab, Princess Bubblegum, Simon, Marcy, Jake and his kids... there's so many bits and pieces floating around at the moment, it must be a little tough for the writers to tear themselves away and write "regular" adventure episodes at this point.

Honestly, all this slow buildup over the seasons is begging for an hour-long special or made-for-tv movie. Then again, trying to cram too much continuity into a single story (especially one that should be standalone, like a tv movie) would probably backfire and make it too obtuse for anyone who hasn't watched every episode.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Steve Yun posted:

I wouldn't want to call her evil because she thinks she's doing the right thing

While I'd agree that evil's not the right term here, plenty of clearly evil people think they're doing the right thing. For all we know if you asked the Lich he'd say he's just trying to put the world to rest.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Brightman posted:

So how long do I have to play Super Hexagon before I can relive my past lives?

Spoiler alert, you've been living a past life this whole time. Now back to your life as a weird jello-creature in a crystal palace!

Not much to say about this episode besides that it was great in lots of ways. Neat to see the building blocks that went on to make the Adventure Time world we're familiar with, everything seemed ready-made for Finn (and us) by the time the Adventurin' started, but everything's got a reason to be there.

Princess Bubblegum hiding her age is pretty funny, too. Might just put that down to the old "women don't like admitting how old they are" joke.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, she might replace a regular forest with a candy forest, but that's not evil. If Finn wakes up one day in a tube in PB's lab across from another tube where she's growing his candy replacement, we'll start to worry.

Although there is an interesting little idea in this episode regarding branding. It seems like at some point PB decided to "rebrand" herself and her kingdom as the civilized, orderly place it is today. Even stuff like hiding her actual age could be in aid of projecting a particular image. She looks like a princess in a dress who rules over a kingdom of candy, not a millennium-old progenitor for a whole species.

Exactly why she decided to found a kingdom and make herself a princess (and what she was doing up to that point) might be interesting to see.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Steve Yun posted:

Skeptical me thinks maybe they just said it to keep the kid from bugging them

On the other hand, it's kind of nice to imagine Jake and Finn seek each other out across time and space. They're Ooo's Blackadder and Baldric.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It is pretty neat how all the main characters are much more morally ambiguous than they started. The Ice King, Finn, Jake, Princess Bubblegum, Marceline, Flame Princess... if you watch the first season again now, everything seems so clear-cut and straightforward. Now the evil wizard's just a sad old man, the boy hero's struggling with puberty and his own selfishness, the wise-cracking sidekick has a past life of crime and kids he's trying to raise right, the damsel in distress keeps showing worrying amoral and authoritarian impulses, the list goes on.

The only one who's really stayed an elemental moral force is the Lich. Maja might be built up to serve a similar role in the future too. I guess the idea is that they'd be useful as an external force to threaten the heroes into evolving or dying, since if you tried to give the Lich a tragic backstory or let the heroes beat him too many times until he's no longer very threatening it wouldn't be as effective.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's a bit silly to get annoyed at people for saying "Woah, how high were you to come up with that?" It seems needlessly defensive when the person in question almost certainly means no offense and can be replied with a wry "All natural, baby". If you really need to wring it out, surely it's complimentary for someone to suggest you're so creative that they could only imagine you needed performance enhancers to pull it off?

Nobody's accusing them of drug use, it's not like getting high is taking steroids for the creative and it'll tarnish their reputation, it might be a tired joke but you'd expect a cartoonist to keep a sense of humour about these things.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rhyno posted:

Exactly. People who say "you must have been on drugs when you wrote this" have obviously never been on drugs themselves.

Or, and this is possible too, they're just goofing around and there's no need to be so sensitive?

Maybe there are people who harp on it or actually use it in a derogative way, but I can guarantee you a lot of people will just say it as a throwaway acknowledgement of of something being wacky with no offense meant. They probably don't even actually mean it, it's just a sort of corny turn of phrase. Friends of mine and my own parents have been known to say it about imaginative things they see, and they get high plenty.

If Pen's sick of hearing it then fine but it's not meant as an insult. I honestly think people are over thinking this, maybe we should roll a joint and chill out. I'll put on some Floyd.

Edit - though we can all agree that the nostalgia guy is unbearable

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MojoKingBee posted:

My contempt for CN marketing grows with each preview. They showed what the episode was about, I suppose, but didn't include any jokes.

I actually prefer it when a preview just gives me the premise. Any jokes you see in the preview won't have the same punch when you get to see them live. It's the same reason movie trailers for comedy films can be frustrating when they try to cram all the punchlines into sixty seconds, divorced of context and pacing.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gaz-L posted:

Valar Morghulis

So long as Finn doesn't have to plunge the sword into Flame Princess's heart to get it to light up, the rest of that comparison works great.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

axleblaze posted:

Man, why do these people ruin their gifs by adding text?

It's attempting to recreate a scene from a show via gifs. It's particularly popular on tumblr, which is a platform well-suited to the approach, since it lets people watch a scene while scrolling through all the tumblr updates on their dashboard. Honestly, I think it's pretty okay - not every punchline comes across without both the dialogue and the animation, but you don't always want to have to upload and link to a video.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know "I can't clone another you" is likely meant to sound sort of touching, but to me it just sounded like "If I could clone another you, I'd sacrifice you just as easily."

Also the zombie breakout at the end seems like it'd be a good setup for consequences coming home to roost stemming from PB's questionable decisions, although I don't know if or when they'll pick up that thread again (unless I missed something!).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MindTheGap posted:

I really liked this episode a lot.

Princess Bubblegum is so merrily, quietly psychotic on the one hand, but somehow manages to maintain justice and fairness even as her methods appear questionable at first blush.

... is... PB God? Someone said a million pages back that she draws a lot of parallels to Athena in "The Odyssey", which feels apt.

She plays god, and Athena's an apt comparison - Olympians are a touchy lot, and even the Goddess of Wisdom and Civilization can kill someone for pretty questionable reasons, even well after first blush.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Vorgen posted:

the Candy Kingdom and the Candy People and gave them life, as far as I'm concerned she can do whatever she wants with them. After all, she can just clone more. She is exactly what every single one of us would be if we could talk with our Legos.

That's kind of hosed up. I get that a lot of real-world people do believe in an Old Testament God on more or less these terms, but I don't think it's fair to say that anyone who creates life gets absolute control over it without higher moral accountability - I mean, every parent isn't free to kill their kids and make more if they feel like it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Rita Repulsa posted:

I just don't see how Pb is callous or cruel or takes her people lightly after deciding in this specific situation to let the person she can clone be the sacrifice out of all the available choices.

She explained the situation to James instead of trying to fool him. She's heard explaining that she'll need a biomatter sample from him.

She tells the truth afterwards in a manner that shows she knows the situation sucked, she even held a funeral service for him instead of pretending she hadn't gotten him killed.

She's not cruel to her citizens, even though her methods are questionable she's devoted to keeping them safe and happy.

The word Old Testament God's been used as a label for her but have we ever seen her smite one of her own people because they sinned? She didn't even kill Cookie Princess for questioning her rule and threatening her subjects. She does not demand anything from the candy people, not behavior, not worship, not anything, and she'd never cast plagues on them on a whim.

She's not perfect and the situation's morality is up in the air, but the attitude seems to be like she's Candy Hitler and just sort of threw James out the window while laughing and eating candy babies. I keep hearing people wish for more morally grey situations and characters but the moment one's handed over I see her just labelled EVIL with a big flashing capital BAD.

Being callous is just a matter of not really feeling it like you'd expect someone to, so that's a fair claim - you can be a good person and still be very callous, perhaps from desensitization over time. Nothing inherently wrong with that.

And no, it's obviously not so simple as Candy Hitler, but someone's underlying motivations and perspectives can still make them act pretty unethical even if they don't do something hamhandedly evil. Sacrificing someone then cloning them doesn't fix anything, and the perspective that would see it as such is more than a little questionable, and that what's we (and Finn) are supposed to do - question. Also quick side note that whole "Creators own their creations like their property" stuff is still crazy messed up since one of the ideas behind creating sentient life is that it inherits the natural rights of a sentient being, like self-determination, and it definitely seems to be part of PB's thinking even if she wants good things for her subjects.

To me, spending all this time underlining the difference between what's pragmatic and what's right seems like they're setting up a future situation where the two completely diverge. Finn's already becoming more unsettled by PB even if everything she's done so far has been arguably the right choice. The natural next step is siding against her on something, which would be most effective if it's the consequences of a previous decision (zombie James) or a follow-up on a foreshadowed issue (containing Flame Princess).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Say Nothing posted:

Root Beer Guy Sneak Peek.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPFnzwMloCs
Spoiler: Princess Bubblegum created Finn in her laboratory as a fail-safe if she should ever turn evil Not! Well... Maybe.

This is actually kind of useful to the current discussion about candy people and Princess Bubblegum's level of control/authority over them. A window into their little candy lives.

Normally I get the vibe that the Candy Kingdom is sort of a cargo cult, with candy people pretending to be real people and not quite being up to the task. This preview seemed to show a little more of their "regular lives" and makes the candy people seem more well-rounded, a little more like actual people rather than props, which kind of backs up the idea that they're more than just Bubblegum's property.

Edit: It's kind of ironic that the thing that makes the candy people seem more real is evoking alienation and dissatisfaction.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 28, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Roland Jones posted:

Given that people are suggesting things like that PB's goal was explicitly killing off James, which would make bringing Finn and Jake along both really stupid (they did nothing but slow that down and were dead weight while she was escaping, and she explicitly didn't want them hurt so their being there was entirely a liability if that was her goal) and pointlessly cruel ("hey guys this guy's gonna die, nothing you can do about it, ha ha, now I'm hitting you with a wrench"), that summary's not far from the mark.

While a few ideas like PB wanted James to die from the outset are off, I find the constant pushback whenever anyone questions if PB's in the right equally tiresome. Yes, obviously she is not The New Satan, but that doesn't mean that she's always right and good either - her actions are supposed to be questionable, which means we're supposed to be able to question them. It'd be a waste of all that complexity and nuance Pick mentioned if we just accepted what she does without poking at it a bit.

Not only that, but if they ever act on what they've set up, I doubt the lesson's going to be that Finn as Naive Hero Supreme should learn to love PB's pragmatic utilitarianism and occasional amoral science. Some of these nuances are flaws and weaknesses that'll be used to trip the characters up. Trying to figure out just which actions, decisions and traits are the ones that'll get them into trouble is a big part of the fun of discussion.

Edit: VVVV Don't blame media for that. A common criticism of utilitarianism is it makes people overconfident in moral calculus, acknowledging the price of your actions is usually considered healthy, shows some humility.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 29, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Steve Yun posted:

All this time... :aaaaa:

You're going to have to turn in your badge and your custom title.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I hope we see more of Root Beer Guy in the future in his new job, the Candy Kingdom could use at least one competent security official. Honestly, his basic deductive capability seemed to set him above like 90% of the candy people we've met so far. He was a really good character, but I was very surprised to see an alienated, mid-life-crisis-having failed writer in Adventure Time. I still can't get over that "this is good, what is it? "...candy." scene, something like that seems far more 'adult' than garden variety innuendos.

There have to be a lot of parents out there who see the bright colors and the talking dog and dismiss the whole show as kid-friendly dross who'd be very surprised if they actually sat down and watched it with their children. I remember those were the best kind of shows as a kid, it felt like some kind of secret.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Steve Yun posted:

I'm gonna need you to expand on this

Not much to it than that. The scene was the classic "crumbling marriage" scene from a thousand films and countless real-world couples. No talking at dinner, the husband tries some quiet smalltalk about the meatloaf, after a pause the wife mentions it's just the same old meatloaf as always, back to uncomfortable silence. They even allude to an unsatisfied sex life via "I have needs!" and of course their "dancing", although that's just to complete the picture of a couple that's grown apart.

The thing is that most of those little indicators and hints are things we assume children don't pick up on - which isn't all that fair, since kids are smarter than most people think. Hell, some of those scenes might even hit close to home with some kids whose parents don't get along so well but who don't think their kids know. Some parents might be upset at the thinly-veiled sex references simply because they're sex references, but I bet some would be made even more uncomfortable by the above, even if they can't put their finger on why.

Making the story about two married glasses of soda in a candy kingdom, the presence of Finn and Jake, it all almost seems like camouflage.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If they do it, I really hope they don't just revert everything back to normal at the end of the episode. It's already going to be a bit tricky to pull off, but reasserting the status quo would be even worse.

Basically, if Ice King doesn't stay Simon, hopefully they'll at least find Betty. And if they can't find Betty, hopefully Simon stays Simon. Although getting both feels like a little too much success.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'm expecting Flame Princess and Finn may get back together again just because he already did the whole "you need to let go and move on" thing with Bubblegum and it'd feel a bit redundant for him to have two girls he's got unrequited feelings for that he needs to outgrow. Sure, in real life there are guys with patterns of behaviour like that but it's not great material for a story.

Not to mention if they settle on Flame Princess and Finn never working out, that means they'll have to introduce another love interest somewhere down the line to demonstrate Finn's growth and that he can have a working relationship. Getting back with Flame Princess after overcoming the flaws that split them up just seems easier.

I can still believe that they'll get back together just in time for Flame Princess to bite it against the Lich or something, though, as love interests are always at risk of doing. Gotta build the threat the Lich poses back up again somehow.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MojoKingBee posted:

Now, Adventure Time has a habit of being unpredictable, but I just can't see this happening (and not just because she's my favorite character). There's only been one character to ever die in the show (or at least, in the real timeline), and that's Billy. Billy, who only appeared in one episode. They're not gonna off a semi-main character. Plus, the Lich doesn't need his threat built. He already killed Billy, and he's the literal embodiment of death and destruction.

That's just it - he's already killed Billy. If he's going to return, he has to return bigger, meaner. He can't go the Ice King route where his constant defeats cause him to become less of a threat. The first time he attacked Bubblegum got turned into a kid and the second time he killed Billy and showed us the strange alternate universe.

The Lich showing up should cost something, should have some real stakes. True, probably they won't have him kill Flame Princess, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they did.

The only thing that makes me really hesitate about the possibility is killing off the female love interest to motivate the male hero is just a little too cliche, not to mention somewhat regressive in terms of gender issues. They could still probably pull it off well, though.0

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I can only imagine that Simon will become the Ice King again, but saving Betty will be the good thing that comes out of the experience. Maybe she'll stick around to look after him in his Ice King form? Maybe he'll stop being so princess-crazy if he's no longer feeling half-remembered guilt about losing her? Even if he remains the Ice King, there'll probably be some kind of permanent change.

Also, I have to say that I hope for Finn and Flame Princess's relationship to still have a chance. So many of his setbacks and challenges have come from awkward adolescent romantic feelings that it doesn't seem like he can be shown to grow and overcome these failings without a successful romantic relationship to contrast against his previous failures. If all he learns is to sever, get over his feelings and become aromantic he won't really have grown, he'll have just buried his problems. And again, he's already got an unrequited attachment to Princess Bubblegum, he really doesn't need another one long term.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I'd assume they'd at least hold the end of the arc off for the season finale, and even then it seems a little early just because so many of Finn's long-boiling issues have come to a head this season.

More to the point, MojoKingBee, I don't know about statements like "how can we ever forgive him?". He's a teenager. Teenagers do dumb stuff in order to learn. Not just a little bit of dumb stuff, either. You can rest assured that because this is a narrative, they'll probably leave the door open for Finn to repair any damage he does some day, but he's got plenty of room to keep falling if that's what he needs. Heck, look at Rattleballs, it's pretty clear he hasn't had a rock-bottom epiphany yet.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, I'm going with it was a night-time coup and she and CB had to escape. Neat to see the distrust between Flame Princess and Princess Bubblegum is still there (and for good reason, considering Bubblegum's desire to contain or extinguish her).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, to be honest Finn continuing on his downward spiral seems like a good thing to me - I can't call him unlikeable and unsympathetic, since a whole lot of people can sympathize with being an embarrassing fool when they were a teenager. He's not even near rock bottom yet, and trying to say that things like the grass sword episode or the rattleballs episode represented an arc that should've ended with him having figured everything out is way too quick and easy.

He's an adolescent. Settle in for the long haul, and try to remember that a lot of people go through these awkward phases in order to become better people. He's still got the same good qualities he's always had, and eventually they'll shine again. So yeah, like any teenager he says he's totally done with romance and totally over Flame Princess, but as soon as he even begins to think he might have a chance again it's back to awkward come-ons.

I doubt the Betty episode will have much development for Finn, since it's probably hardly even about him. This is the sort of big character development you'll only begin to see with a season finale or premiere, and if I were betting money I'd put it on Finn getting even worse before he gets better. Like, expect some weakness of Finn's to allow someone like the Lich to put everyone in jeopardy before he can address the root cause of his problems.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pleasant Friend made a comment about "modern Adventure Time" which I think might be worth considering.

The show's definitely been heading in a different direction for a long while. I remember in season 4 we began to see complaints about how Adventure Time wasn't really about adventure any more, that relationship drama and worldbuilding had begun to crowd out the carefree spirit of imaginative adventure from the first couple seasons. At the time, the counter-argument was that this was being blown out of proportion, that the show was still mostly carefree adventure and people were mostly making some kind of slippery slope argument.

As we've worn our way through the extremely long fifth season (which makes up a third of the entire show's run), though, we've seen those predictions more or less come true. Most episodes will involve developing one of the show's rich cast of characters, referencing events of past episodes and bringing back plots to reinforce continuity. Even our discussions mostly revolve around where character and plot arcs are going. Some people have complained this episode didn't really advance things enough, something you didn't normally hear in the first three seasons.

There's no doubt the show's lost some viewers because of this. Adventure time might be said to be "growing up" alongside its audience, who are also going through a difficult transitional phase. I just have to wonder where it's going - will it "arrive" at adulthood, at some point? If Finn overcomes his issues with relationships, what will be his next challenge? Will the next season continue to change the tone? Can Adventure Time retain its original child fans as they grow into teenagers while still staying accessible and friendly for new child viewers?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

We don't even know what the season finale's gonna be about yet, but I'm still banking on Finn hitting rock bottom and only beginning his climb out of adolescent adversity next season.

Here's a question, then - does Finn need to have a functional romantic relationship some day to demonstrate his growth? I think he does, but I have to confess I can't really imagine who with.

If there was any question that he and Flame Princess weren't getting back together, this episode probably settled it, and the idea that he'd finally end up with Princess Bubblegum after everything that happened seems pretty much impossible to make work. He and Marceline have always just been friends. Would they have to introduce another character just to be his girlfriend? Flame Princess sort of started like this, but she managed to branch out and become her own, independent character - but only by pretty decisively burying the relationship. Doing it again would be weird.

He's basically been going around relationships all wrong, as most every teenager does, but if all he takes from this is "romance is dumb, I'm better off without it" that seems kind of like a defeat. It's certainly not a great message for the target audience if the teenage hero gets kicked around by adolescent romantic awkwardness until he gives up for good.

Oh and just want to add that Jake being around less and less is a really interesting part of all this, as somebody already mentioned.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MacheteZombie posted:

I disagree. The show has always done well with fitting in nuggets of life lessons in the adventures of Finn. Instead of being a naive boy who's just having loads of fun and missing the point, he can now experience them as a young man and appreciate those lessons more.

Edit: If anything he needs to escape relationships for a long time, experience being single, and in my opinion get out of the insulated world of Candy Kingdom/Ice Kingdom/Tree House grasslands areas he preoccupies himself. Spend more than one episode in a new and faraway land, like Kerouac it around the Land of Ooooo for awhile.

I agree that Finn definitely needs some time being single, and that letting go of his need for romantic validation is going to be a big part of his development. Going out into the world would be a great way to achieve that. I just meant more that one day in the future, a sign that he really has overcome the problems he's dealing with right now should be being able to have a successful romantic relationship. It's definitely not the solution to his problems, but it'd be an important symbol of his development.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MojoKingBee posted:

I really hope the season finale puts an end to the douche-Finn arc. Dunno if I could take a whole season of that.

Honestly, it's probably when it'll be at its absolute worst. Like, the Lich comes back and Finn screws everything up due to some final culmination of adolescent angst. There's plenty of characters, loose ends, plots and locations to work with now.

For what it's worth, it'll probably be so utterly terrible that we'll finally start the upswing. I know I've said "rock bottom" like six times so far, but that's how these things go. deadicons had it right that Finn's slowly being replaced and driven out - even Jake has other priorities and other places to be these days. Once he realizes he needs to change and find a new way to be, things should start to get better rather than worse. It could even lead to some really interesting things, like a new role model, a globe-trotting adventure, who knows!

It does kind of feel like they're building up to something big, and Douche-Finn is just part of that. The Sky Witch, the end of James, Root Beer Guy and Rattleballs, giving FP her own loyal kingdom (but toning down her personal power), Jake drifting away, whatever's going to happen in Betty... they could really turn Ooo upside down.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MojoKingBee posted:

And right here is my biggest worry. The further FP and Finn drift apart, the less we're probably going to see of her. If they were friends, I could see it still working. Earth & Water implied they were still friends. But after Red Throne, its very unclear what their relationship is now.

This is the problem when you introduce a character almost explicitly just to be the love interest to the protagonist then decide you don't want to do that. It looks like they're making room for her in the plot with all the kingdom stuff that's been going on lately, but it's a difficult transition.

I like that world-trotting idea, if only because they're going to need something new for Finn to do sooner or later to continue his development. Coming back to an Ooo that's changed in his absence would also be a great way to make use of all the things they set up without having to grind out each change in various 11-minute snippets. Other ideas like Finn going to find his parents or the truth of his origin would also be good ways to keep his story going, ending this massive season and starting a new one might be the break they need to really shake up the old formula.

I wonder if perhaps (next episode speculation) the Ice King won't survive the next episode, or at least won't be even a partial villain any more. I could believe they'd start "putting away childish things" like Finn's old childhood nemesis in preparation for whatever arc is to come.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

axleblaze posted:

MojoKingBee: you didn't like this episode. I think we get that. I'm not trying to shut down dissenting opinions or anything (I didn't love the episode either), but you're sort of just harping on at this point.

Honestly I thought his latest point was worth making, that the worst thing the show could do is disappoint its supposed target audience - as much as we enjoy it and enjoy churning out big analysis posts about it, Adventure Time is meant to be entertaining for all ages. If it gets a little too up its own rear end to keep the attention of younger fans, that's bad for the audience and bad for the show's longevity.

Sometimes a series does grow up with its original fans - the later Harry Potters, for example, are much less child-friendly than the earlier ones - but Adventure Time has never signaled that it wasn't open to new child viewers.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I like that this uses the previously-established wizard conspiracy subplot to explain how Ice King was turned back into Simon. It makes it feel more grounded and foreshadowed, which counters the fears/criticisms that the episode's premise was too "fan-fiction-y".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Merkinman posted:

I haven't been reading the spoilers, is this episode going to do what the last one did and completely change Ice King into Simon thus ruining any appeal the character had and anyone that doesn't like it is a Philistine?

I guess we'll find out when we watch it, won't we? The spoilers make me optimistic, though - it's a well-foreshadowed twist that uses a number of elements from previous episodes, so it's not like they just decided to up and do it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Everyone's already picked up on the pacing issue so I won't rehash it, beyond that a lot of the problem really might've been allayed in the last thirty seconds or so if Ice King had been telling the story to Finn, Jake and/or Marceline to get their reaction.

The main point of the episode seems to be to set up that Betty's now around and is working on a way to cure the Ice King, so they can use that later at some important plot point or climax to get Simon back. If she appears before then and now, I'd expect her to turn up in a Marceline episode, since they might have some interesting interactions. Actually yeah, I'd really be curious to see that - wouldn't Marceline want to help Betty? They seemed like they might get along.

I actually thought Betty having an understated voice and looking fairly normal really helped sell that she was a regular person catapulted from the world of the past. Even despite that and the rushed pace, they still had time to establish the dynamic between her and Simon, as well as her own proactive and take-action personality. Bits like Simon looking at Death and saying he has to let her try were pretty powerful even if they passed quickly.

All in all the episode had some issues as an episode, but as a part of the series it did some good things and I'm looking forward to seeing where they'll go with it. Injecting some hope into Ice King's situation and another plot thread into the mix is worth some rough pacing, and there's plenty of fun little bits in the episode (like all the wizard city stuff) to enjoy.

I just have to wonder what the Huntress Wizard scene was going to be about.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 25, 2014

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

RaspberryCommie posted:

To be fair, someone she cared about was dying. Priorities and all that.

If anything, I thought that helped show how the two's relationship worked (even if it also conveniently helped them hurry through the plot). It seems Simon is more passive, it didn't even occur to him that Betty could just jump through the time portal. She encouraged him to endure being the Ice King when he had the chance to end it all. Betty's clearly the more take charge of the two.

If she gets another episode that involves hanging out with Finn, Jake or Marceline she'll probably have gotten up to speed on her own. That fighting spirit is probably what makes it seem like her and Marceline would get along, or at least get along at the end of an episode that starts with them being more standoffish.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Macaluso posted:

I think this is the kind of thing that ultimately left me a little cold after this episode. Like don't get me wrong, I liked the episode and Marceline face planted from the phone call killed me. But there were interactions/conversations I feel we probably should've seen that just couldn't be fit into 11 minutes. Finn and Jake showed absolutely 0 reaction that Ice King was now Simon, and the fact that there is now a 100% real actual human in Ooo now... I mean maybe they're saving that for another episode but it seemed off that Finn didn't seem to be phased. Basically I just want longer episodes for stories like this. I wonder why they weren't allowed to make this a two parter while still having the other two parter?

Those of us who've subjected ourselves to reading Homestuck are more than familiar with missing meaningful conversations and the shuffling of important character development offscreen. I'm right there with you, but I'd at least say Adventure Time's probably willing to revisit some of this material in later episodes now that they've done all the plot-related heavy lifting. Next season's bound to start having episodes that better establish how Betty and other characters react to each other, with Marceline at the top of the list.

And yeah, if I had to guess about what'll happen with Betty and Ice King, I'd go with either some kind of last-minute cure around the finale or a partial cure of some kind that makes him just Simon enough for Betty to accept him as is. The best compromise between the Alzheimer's metaphor/fun Ice King and wanting to save Simon might be just Ice King who can remember who Betty and Marceline are but occasionally kidnaps princesses anyway out of habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Red Queen posted:

The "loophole" being she creates another crown... I can totally see that happening, and I can totally see them choosing to slip off into insanity together, causing me to cry hard enough that the only world I know is one of snot and tears.

If their solution is just to be the crazy Ice King and Queen, that might be a liiiittle too dark. I like the idea of some kind of Simon/Ice King compromise state, though, so maybe they could just split the crazy between them?

• Locked thread