Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Awesome. I love this show and you're the right person to make the thread.

This show is the only one I know that's made it so long without a drop in quality.

e: The Lich was really voiced by Ron Perlman?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Martytoof posted:

I don't have the episode in front of me, but I think Sons of Mars had a good clear shot and that may be it.

It's also shown in related media, like the Adventure Time encyclopedia and comics.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jenx posted:

Is the Encyclopedia worth it? I'm not really strong in the monetary department, and I've got so much stuff I want to buy and read that I try to not just throw money away. It seems promising, and I love those kinds of setting books about shows and stuff, so if anyone who has it wouldn't mind sharing what the quality of the content is like, I'd much appreciate the review.

It doesn't have anything new. If you have a good memory then you might be disappointed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo, I knew that voice!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, I think I agree with this (at least I can't think of a character I don't like off hand). In fact it's really hard for me to choose who my favorite character is. It used to be Marceline but these days I'm leaning more towards Princess Bubblegum or BMO.

I'd say mine is either Bubblegum or Marceline, both of whom are way better now than they were in their earliest appearances. That said, that loving c-list fox is loving hilarious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She doesn't appear, but her home does, and it characterizes her. And like the lich, she was referenced before she actually appeared.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

For me from the little we got to know that she's thorough, she's careful, she makes sure that the evil she does is legit enough to be difficult for heroes to get around, she enjoys causing suffering in a way where it's fun for her and she's willing to listen to reason as long as it benefits her but if she doesn't come out ahead she'd much rather jerk the person around because that's how she apparently gets her kicks.

Yeah, which in a way is far more sinister. She doesn't feel like she's the... anger of a world-killing bomb made manifest or anything, she just seems like a smart but deeply insidious person.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd be perfectly happy for the Lich to be gone permanently. He's not really that interesting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MojoKingBee posted:

Oh, you mean like from Season 1. Yeah, at this point I wouldn't consider Season 1 entirely canon either.

I don't think they thought they were going to get enough episodes to have to worry about it. I remember it really looking like it'd be a kooky one-season wonder.

And here we are!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

scary ghost dog posted:

That's why I prefer it to Ren and Stimpy, Ren and Stimpy was pretty vapid children's entertainment with disgusting and grotesque imagery. Adventure Time is really cute and attractive imagery that often hides grotesque subtext. It's more fun to watch and more intellectually stimulating, and also less distressing if you're majorly stoned.

This is basically how I feel. Ren and Stimpy also felt like a very pessimistic, cynical show. I enjoy Adventure Time's upbeat spirit, even in the face of what should be grim or depressing concepts.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Flame Princess is pretty loving neat, I'm glad that this show is developing the princesses and making them interesting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wojtek posted:

I've heard two things about this show: that it's awesome (good) and that it has the same crossover appeal as MLP (very bad). Which one of these is correct?

It's awesome and not really like MLP at all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm just happy we have so many great ladies in the show, including ladies that are great because they're not great, like Hot Dog Princess.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The answer is a true water elemental, Stanley.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I didn't like Sons of Mars and don't think about it much.

I hope Earth & Water means less CB screentime, I find him boring. I like this show so much that even minor boredom is jarring.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That was the best episode in a long time. It was absolutely 100% good, no complaints from me whatsoever. Perfection.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Man, this is dumb. PB isn't secretly eeevil and ooohhh so libertarian. She's a ruler who is 100% focused on her people, even when it causes her personal stress and discomfort. Trees grew, but the mountains also got spikes and a land of ice developed. It's to indicate time passing. PB has never suggested an interest in conquest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Goes by quick, so here's this in case it helps.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Finn already has a bunch of kids: goliad, nepter, pillow kids.

You mean Stormo!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ideally, a movie should be like Mystery Dungeon times ten. I love the serious episodes, but seriously... can you imagine an hour and a half of Mystery Dungeon? :swoon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

Did anyone else get a real Futurama vibe from this episode? I'm not sure what it was

Finn wants no snoo-snoo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bass Bottles posted:

I think it's just awkward poses from a poorly timed screencap, though. Have they released any video of the new look in motion?

My issue is that all of the characters' arms (and legs!) are doing the same thing on both sides. That's terrible posing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Meow!!

Ohhhh, so cuuuute! :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A show actually written by people who were high would be poo poo; no one is as funny or clever stoned as they think they are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I liked its low-key and cute nature. I think having episodes like this adds a lot to Adventure Time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cafel posted:

Seconding this. Also Finn with a giant vitamin pill and a slice of bread for Jake in and of itself justified the Jake-BMO B plot.

I just don't want every episode to be earth-shattering and epic, you know? And we've had a lot of game-changing episodes lately. This was even more a break from that than Dungeon Train.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

axleblaze posted:

I don't think anyone's really saying they didn't like it because there wasn't a big epic plot going on. I mean, I liked it but I just thought the Jake part was just a little lacking and would have preferred it to just focus on the box cats.

Oh well I feel that way too, but boxcats! :buddy:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

It was delightful in its uneventfulness. Nice to take breaks from character-defining moments and ongoing plotlines and such.

Yeah, it's a good change from Regular Show, which frankly kind of bores me now because it's all the same tone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

kinmik posted:

I thought there might have been a visual parallel (or an homage) between the scene where Finn was crawling through the tunnel of foliage to get to the Box Kingdom and this.

It was cute. :3:

I thought exactly the same thing! And can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hotel Transylvania's script is poor, but everything relating to the animation is exceptional. You couldn't make a better movie off the same script.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Man, I really want to dig the Stephen Universe style, but I still don't. Amethyst looks creepy and weird from the side, and Pearl doesn't even look like she belongs there.

Anyway, have $100, Bee and Puppycat! :toot:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was listening to the entire S2 commentary in one go while I worked on some other stuff, and at one point someone say, "I really hope someone out there just turned on 'play all' with the commentary on while they're working on something else, haha."

Wish granted, man :unsmith:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Skyl3lazer posted:

I hope this succeeds but man 600k for 6 episodes is crazy money.

Don't forget, they're not actually getting that much.

Kickstarter takes 10% off the bat, so you're down to 540K. Then they actually have to pay for the merchandise people are buying.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Jmoyns posted:

Ah well, you know every episode is going to please or displease in different ways. Especially with a new premise coming down the tube every 5 weeks, you sort of scramble to find a way to make it resonate, but there are a lot of factors to take the tone or moments in different directions. You can only do so much and sometimes nailing an ep just right comes down to all of the elements acting in chance harmony.

I really applaud you guys for keeping this show fresh as all hell.

Seriously, I know no other show that has ever stayed so on top of its game for so long so relentlessly.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
By the way, will there ever be an official Adventure Time soundtrack? That really, really, really ought to happen.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Standard agreements with Korean studios include a certain number of redo's for animations, and the rule was originally intended for animation not looking right but in reality they end up having to redo stuff because of weird awkward poo poo making its way into the footage.

Like the infamous green elf skit in Simpsons?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Early Simpsons is incredible, but I think it's less daring in terms of pacing and general structure, even really good ones. The thing about Adventure Time is that you can never tell where an episode is headed or how or at what rate, though it always makes sense in retrospect.

I'm especially amazed at how much is done in the last minute and a half of "The Vault".

But yeah, Simpsons was really good for a long-rear end time. "Do it for her" :unsmith:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

So what does Adventure Time bring to the table that's new and pioneering? To me, they've shown that you can put sophisticated subtext into kid's cartoons, the kind of stuff that gets analyzed and interpreted like art films. I'm sure this is not the main reason why it's successful in terms of viewership, but as an artistic work this is what I consider its crowning achievement.

I think Adventure Time evidences this splendidly, but I also think you're discounting the virtues of earlier children's media, such as Animals of Farthing Wood. If we're talking about film as well as TV series, even more opens up, like Sampson & Sally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

edit: yeah, subtext and symbolism has been film forever, and has been in animated film for decades, I meant it was pioneering in terms of tv cartoons. Subtext/symbolism is still uncommon in live action tv AFAIK, so that kind of puts Adventure Time in the company of shows like Hannibal and Breaking Bad

Well, Animals of Farthing Wood is, as noted, a TV series.

Upon reflection, however, neither of those were American. I suppose Gargoyles might count for some parameters as well, though I'm always hesitant to mention that show because it seems the majority of people who remember it are huge weirds.

• Locked thread