Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Alternate thread title: Adventure Time: Exploring the deep themes of a cookie princess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe not worth changing in the OP but I can't recall if Ice King did anything evil this season, at least since Simon & Marcy.

So he kidnapped a bunch of princesses to read them bad fanfiction... The greatest evil imaginable.

So clearly Adventure Time takes place on Omicron Persei 8!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

She doesn't appear, but her home does, and it characterizes her. And like the lich, she was referenced before she actually appeared.

Yeah, people forget that the Lich showed up for like 10 seconds before he actually made his big reappearance. BILLLYYYY!

Not having a significant presence doesn't disqualify you from having a big presence at a later time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

Hell if Slumber party panic was still followed completely we'd have half the Candy Kingdom in sugary ash piles

How do you know it's not? drat place is made out of candy, a pile of sugar laying just out of screen would blend right in.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

So the Lumpy Space episode is on now, and I think the show should really go back there in a future episode.

But whatever, it's 2013.

If you're talking about Lumpy Space, your quote should read:

"But whatever it's, like, sooooo 2013, guys."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Lately it's harder to pass off the "dirty" stuff as anything innocent.

I don't know, I think it's still pretty easy to miss a lot of the time. I've missed plenty of the "dirty" stuff until this thread has informed me that it was dirty and I'm in my 20s, I imagine an actual child could still miss stuff even easier. Or maybe I'm a huge manbaby. Or both!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well I guess that answers the question of how the Ice Kingdom's faring. Guess it's taking IK a while to rebuild... er, refreeze a new place.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, she's probably just concerned FP is a threat. Like, not a romantic threat, a threat to her kingdom threat. Doesn't help that her entire family keeps insisting that she's evil.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

A Game of Scones

Winter is coming constantly here if you're in the Ice Kingdom.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Or it's a nod to him regaining his memories while the crown is absent?

I don't know, he's referenced plenty of other old episodes while still wearing the crown. I think it's just a funny bit of wiz biz.

MojoKingBee posted:

The one-off characters in this show are always the funniest to me, for some reason

My favorite one-off characters will always be the Hot Dog Knights from The Limit. "I wish to blow up! I mean like get bi- BANG" is still one of my all-time favorite gags in the show.

Pick posted:

The answer is a true water elemental, Stanley. BMO.

Fixed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
BMO was easily the highlight of the show, but Jake's incredibly elaborate dream sequence was pretty good too.

MojoKingBee posted:

Finn and Jake's clock is adorable. And then Magic Man just loving punches it. I love that jerk so much

I like how he just fell through the wall. Magic Man is pretty great.

MojoKingBee posted:

I wonder why Magic Man even gave them that riddle in the first place...

MM seems to set himself up for a fall in all his appearances. Even if it's just "Not until you appreciate what a jerk I am" in his first appearance, or telling Finn about the teleporter in Sons of Mars, he just always seems to give Finn and Jake a way to escape whatever dickish circumstances he's put them in. Is this tendency to self-sabotage something he has to do or is it just his own hubris? YOU DECIDE.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zeruel posted:

Lobster Soul is a bust, but from the ashes:

Need title text though. Suggestions?

This is the plan.

Well one obvious one is aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Alternately, "Wait wait wait, BMO, are you just making a skateboard video?" or if you want to tailor it to yourself, "Wait wait wait, [username], are you just making a post?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MojoKingBee posted:

Nah, they're too busy pairing Shoko with PB.

...Don't ask me how I know that.

Because there are two human-shaped characters on screen at the same time. That's how you know that. People pair everyone with everyone on the internet.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

Worked like that in Avatar: The Last Airbender. He could go talk to his past lives.

Clearly Finn has to master the elements of fire, ice, candy, and lemons to become the Avatar and bring unity to the warring kingdoms of Ooo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Red Crown posted:

I don't know. The magic of this episode was that it told a story that wasn't rushed but had no fluff either. Having to create episodes that meaningfully advance the plot in 11 minutes has kind of forced them to tell streamlined stories that generally only go into enough detail to spur the imagination on. A feature film seems like a lot of time to fill for such a fast-paced show. I think a 48 minute special would be about the max length they could go.

Yeah, I think half the magic of AT in general is that its length forces all the writers to really make the jokes/other emotional high notes to really be all they can be. You start stretching that time limit and I fear that some of that magic will go away.

But then, I don't really want more Ice King backstory, and it seems like fuckin' everybody wants more of ol' Simon Petrikov, so I've long accepted that I am in the minority of fans of this show.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kung Food posted:

Anyone who wears this would have to spend the whole night explaining what they are dressed as, even to fans of the show.

Well that'd give the wearer a great excuse to run around talking like LSP saying "You guys! Don't you know who I am you guys?" getting increasingly whinier. Turn the worst costume into the best.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

More gifs...

Man, what is with the trend of sticking text on gifs nowadays? It just looks so dumb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chexoid posted:

I'm pretty pumped for this one. It's about time Mar-mar's been along for a proper adventure rather than personal stuff.

A proper dungeon?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Strange that Marceline should go for 'low grade red' when Finn and Jake were there.

'Cause she's got to get to the red! She'd have to go through all the hassle of eviscerating Finn and Jake while PB's got all that low-grade red just sittin' right there. Plus who doesn't prefer the taste of gum over human flesh?

edit: Initially my comment about eviscerating Jake being a hassle was a joke, but now thinking about it more, with all his weird physiology and the way he shifts his organs around regularly, eating Jake probably would be a hassle...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 15, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Man, I really want to dig the Stephen Universe style, but I still don't. Amethyst looks creepy and weird from the side, and Pearl doesn't even look like she belongs there.

Anyway, have $100, Bee and Puppycat! :toot:

Yeah, I'm with ya. I like Stephen, I like the world he lives in, but the other Gems just don't look right. And I get that that's kind of the point, but it really irks me and stops me from liking the show as much as I could be.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

What if the grass is red?

Whoa man you're trippin me out :350:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

How can Gunter rebuild the ice kingdom if Ice King has the crown? Oops, did I just give away a major plot point?

I don't think you have to spoil speculation. But whatever. Maybe Gunter just needed the crown to make the mountains and refreeze the kingdom and he just needs good old penguin ingenuity to remodel IK's mountain fortress/house.

VVV: I admit this is more likely.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 3, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MojoKingBee posted:

I wonder how Ice King knows how to read demon? Learned it from Marceline, perhaps?

Maybe it's just his stanky old wizard eyes. (Still one of my favorite gags ever)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

We've known Abracadaniel was a prick for a while now. Remember, he tried to stab PB back in the Wizard City episode.

Well, to be fair, she did kinda get him life in prison because of being stubborn about magic. Anybody would be mad about that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

In his first episode it was revealed that Abracadaniel was the "fake nice guy"

Although it seems like in his later episodes he's just been a wimpy loser

Maybe he has a dark side, but he's always been a wimpy loser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn3gKSeDXVQ

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Here's the gif, can anyone get it down to avatar size?

Also, this Binklemeyer would make a good avatar.

Here you go, I tried to shrink it earlier, but it would have cut off IK's crown. But apparently you don't particularly care, so resizing this one was a cinch.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jake's transformations were easily the highlight of that episode and I cracked up at that one probably more than the entire rest of the episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geirskogul posted:

But your initial inclination was right about Teen Titans Go. It's crap. :colbert:

Booooo. :argh:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Plus, does a narrator talking a bit over clips really piss you off that much? I mean, dang. Some people seem to just go all 2 minutes hate at the sound of the CN announcer's voice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

Ice King and Abracadaniel both seemed pretty impressed with Joshua when they were talking about his sword, too. It seems like he was a pretty famous adventurer in his time.

Well IK probably was just showing off the sword and maybe knew the name and Abracadaniel was more impressed with the sword. I mean, half the joke of the episode was that they're acting like kids, and whenever kids are showing off stuff like family heirlooms to other friends as kids, they don't really give a poo poo about the history, they just care about the fact that it's cool. What I'm getting at is the amazement factor (at least Abracadaniel's) was probably more "OOO A SWORD" rather than "OOO JOSHUA'S SWORD"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

So, are the revelations in the game supposed to be canon?

Eh, maybe? I'm sure anything important will be in the show proper. I think someone else mentioned it earlier, but "important plot points in the game only" haven't usually worked well in the past when they've been tried. And especially if the game's as sub-par as people are describing it, I don't even think enough people will see that ending outside of Youtube.

Still though, it's a neat bit of info, though not entirely unexpected (to me at least).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hoobajoo posted:

I like Magic Man.

He is a funny fellow. I enjoy the jokes he makes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

There were like five pokemon movies that were initially in theatres and at least the first two or three did well financially.

Only the first 2 were in theaters. The rest have been straight-to-video. (Well, in America at least. In Japan they probably all get a theatrical release)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MojoKingBee posted:

OH! I just thought of why they didn't fight the goo monsters! Finn doesn't have a new sword yet!

He could just go back to using the old beat-up gold one he used all the time before "Dad's Dungeon".

e: You know, this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_HxKReSSlA

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 28, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Didn't watch the whole thing, but the bit with Marceline's dad as the King of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy was pretty great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SomeJazzyRat posted:

gently caress off, it's Gunter and another Gunther. Ice King's orders.

Gunter and Gunther will of course be dressed as Fionna and PB because now that Ice King's got his pad fixed up he's got some creepy slashfic to write.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MindTheGap posted:

And I know it's nitpicky, but I am not terribly stoked that Cake's species was changed from a dog to a cat. I get that the "joke" of a gender swap entails that a human girl would consider a cat her best friend instead of a dog, because GIRLS LOVE CATS AND BOYS LOVE DOGS LOL GET IT, but functionally-speaking, it's kind of aggravating if you're a girl who actually does like dogs better. "Dogs are man's best friend" isn't supposed to be literal, as far as I've ever understood it, and the "man" there is supposed to be universal. So, why couldn't Cake have been a girl dog? I mean, I hear they're making those now...

In addition to the fact that Cake was just based off of Allegri's designs, I think the main reason Jake had to switch species is... well how would you make Jake female? I mean, he really has nothing identifying his gender aside from his voice since he doesn't wear clothes and, as a cartoon animal, doesn't have any junk. There's nothing to change, design-wise, from a genderswap. It'd be like Lumpy Space Prince where the only change is his little mustache (one of my favorite visual gags, btw). You'd have to just dress him up like his mom.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bennyfranks posted:

The rest of it honestly seems more like the fact that they're gender swapped takes top billing, and the fanfiction is tacked on at the end so they have an excuse to do it without people going all "so what the gently caress was that about."

Yeah... that's it in a nutshell. I mean, the genderswapped thing was always top billing, and the fanfiction was definitely tacked on for the average viewer that'd be confused as hell as to why everything's genderswapped.

And honestly that's why I don't want to see anymore F&C episodes. The genderswapped thing is always top billing, so it's always gonna be "Check out this character and how they're different. Eh? EH?" They're gimmicks and they were cute episodes for sure, but I can just, y'know, look at Allegri's tumblr to see art of all the genderswapped characters.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

I want this just because I want a version of Fiona and Cake told by someone that doesn't have a strong grasp on the concept of gender. It could basically be the trippiest thing ever.

It'd be like Lethal Weapon 5 in It's Always Sunny with Cake randomly switching turning into Jake because BMO suddenly decides dogs are better on a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

They've been showing the apple wedding preview on TV, can't find it online though.

LSP is trying to stop the wedding. :ohdear:

DRAMABOOOOOMB

• Locked thread