Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MojoKingBee posted:

You're definitely not the only one. I'm with you, at least. I really enjoyed their relationship. There's something really heartwarming (no pun intended) about two people who want to be together, despite the fact that they physically cannot touch each other, among other barriers.

Plus, it's way better than Finn's futile chase for PB, which got old pretty fast.

That being said, I kind of hope PB doesn't "fix" Flame Princess or something in this episode. Especially if it's a cure-all like "she doesn't burn everything she touches now". As much as I want the characters to be happy, that would get rid of the barriers I was just talking about, and would denounce what makes FP herself. I don't expect the AT writers to do this, but it's a theory I'm hearing get thrown around occasionally.

I think any attempts to "fix" her would be more in the "not going to destroy the entire world" vein of things. Not burning everything would require her to not be made of fire, which, well, yeah.

Then again PB might just be locking her up; we did see her reacting to the, you know, destruction of the Ice Kingdom and all, back at the end-ish of Frost and Fire.

But yeah, I'm another person who is totally in favor of Finn and FP getting back together, at least if Finn manages to stop blowing it. Stop being terrible Finn, you're supposed to be a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Little brothers put Jakesuit on again, and man, FP and Finn are awesome together. That and things like Vault of Bones have me really hoping FP doesn't become a villain (besides the other stuff I've written before); when they're doing more than just having her there for the benefit of Finn she's great.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, this isn't PB locking FP up against her will, but the reason FP's going along with it is possibly worse. Jeez.

Also wow you're bad at this Cinnamon Bun.

Edit: Jeez Flame King's a dick.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 3, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well then. Not quite what I was expecting, but on the other hand FP is indeed even more awesome. Also, Cinnamon Bun got a (real) dog. Yay.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MojoKingBee posted:

Flame Princess (or is it Queen now?)

PB's a princess, as are pretty much all the ruling females (except maybe LSP's mom), so it's probably still FP. I though tof this too briefly, but based on how everything else is, I doubt she's getting "promoted" even though she's the ruler now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realized, this is a pretty great upgrade for her character, really. Not (just) in an in-universe way, but as a character. Getting her own stuff not connected to Finn and all, she's now in a PB and Marceline-level role. Hopefully, at least. They can definitely do non-boyfriend and girlfriend stuff with her now, even if Finn's probably still going to pine after her for a while.

Edit: Assuming this isn't just her bring written out, at least. Hope that's not what happens to her now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

Winter is coming constantly here if you're in the Ice Kingdom.

On the other hand the princess of the Fire Kingdom can pretty much end those winters whenever she gets pissed off. They're a bit less threatening when you consider that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mage Ham posted:

She seems to be taking an indirect route towards 'evil' in that she's taking a nominally positive trait, honesty, to an extreme that isn't sustainable.
It's a fundamentally inhuman approach, which makes it dangerous and may also make it the only thing that will work for her.

Ignoring the rest of your stuff, "inhuman" equaling "dangerous" is ridiculous because, besides not applying to anyone besides Finn in this show, a lot of the nastiest things people do are done because they're human. Take, for example, why Finn did that stuff to FP and the Ice King; that was a pretty human thing to do, and look where that led.

Besides that, FP's doing this for a very "human" reason: She was hurt, repeatedly, by dishonest people. She's trying to avoid that, and she's doing so by making everyone always tell the truth. That's not inhuman, it's immature and naive. Which aren't particularly great either, really, but it's different from what you're trying to say.

I agree that it's neat that FP's been developing, though, beyond "unstable girlfriend". I liked her from the start, but she's got a lot more character to her now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Besides all the other stuff people have mentioned, I liked that they dropped Finn being a girl in a past life without making a big deal about it.

Liar posted:

Just depends on how long ago that was. Creme Puff was shown to be young, and Peppermint Butler was like a child. Plus the banana guards were still green.

At the least it was before the Candy Kingdom was even close to being finished. Probably quite a while ago. Much longer than how old PB claims to be, and she was the same apparent age then too.

Which makes her project with Goliad really far-sighted. She really wants to make sure her people are safe, man.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

So the Candy Kingdom is built on ground zero of a nuke attack?

Or downriver from one.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

So, what's the deal with the Earl of Lemongrab being PB's first creation? In her flashback when she made him, she was already wearing her modern Princess apparel and it looked like she was working in the Castle.

Also is he like a zillion years old too?

I think he was her first heir she made, rather than first creation or something. I dunno. I'd have to watch Too Young again to know exactly what was said.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Slime Princess first appeared in the same episode the Ice King first appeared in, and from what I remember her voice was pretty similar then to what it is now. She also wanted to marry Finn, actually.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i like tacos posted:

Is this the first time we see BMO hanging out with Ice King? They didn't seem like they were hitting it off like in All the little People :( Actually rewatching that episode again we have little PB fighting little Flame Princess and little Lady Rainicorn leaving little Jake for little Mr Cupcake. Weird.

Finn's manipulation, much like actual shipping, frequently made little sense beyond making everyone fall in love with his self-insert.

Edit: Wait, slightly misread. Yeah, probably a thing they were either doing a bit of foreshadowing with (not in a major way, since the LR-MC thing was entirely imaginary, but still) or something they chose to call back to. Little nods one way or the other like that are easy ways to entertain more observant fans (and mess with some of them as well), after all.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 24, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve Yun posted:

I wonder... did Finn and FP ever exchange things with each other?

Well, Finn has some of her hair. Or had it at least.

Also, that sweater she made for him. I don't remember that being destroyed but I also don't remember seeing it again.

Edit: Oh dangit misread FP as PB, probably because of the shirt thing there and whatnot. Whoops. Can't think of anything between Finn and FP, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 26, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing posted:

I'm still waiting for Shoko's arm to show up in the background, floating in a jar, because what has more sentimental value than your child's arm?

I dunno, if you're willing to leave your child at a dojo and never come back, probably a lot.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty sure the truck was just rusty, on account of being exposed to the elements for, like, centuries.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Say Nothing posted:

And Abracadaniel is also a prick for shoving Beemo!

We've known Abracadaniel was a prick for a while now. Remember, he tried to stab PB back in the Wizard City episode.

Alternatively, to continue the jokes about how he looks, we've known that since we first saw him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coatlicue posted:

It's a neat idea to redraw admirable women to make better role models for kids, but if that's their goal they really ought to drop the 'princess' thing altogether and just go with the premise that you can be heroic without being a princess. Especially because naming Anne Frank a holocaust princess has got to be the worst idea anyone has ever come up with.

It's somewhat satirical; note how all these different women end up looking pretty drat similar after they receive the Disney treatment.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Devil Tesla posted:

As long as it gets people to watch, and doesn't change how good the actual episodes are, I don't give a poo poo.

I don't know about other people, but before I saw Adventure Time for myself the previews actually made me not want to watch it, because they were stupid and made it look terrible.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm wondering if the cloning thing was really for the reason PB said. I mean, we do know she really cares about her subjects, and she'd definitely know a clone isn't the same as the original (heck, she even called the clone "this new James"). It seems kind of like something for the benefit of other people, or possibly her just not wanting to "lose" any of her people, since obviously it doesn't really benefit James himself. (I doubt she does that often though, despite what some people were speculating, since she can just bring her people back to life when she has the body.)

That said, as others have stated James was definitely the person to sacrifice from a completely objective, detached standpoint. Ethically, stopping the person willing to sacrifice themselves and asking someone else to is definitely debatable, but from a pragmatic perspective: PB, well, she's the main thing keeping the Candy Kingdom standing, with a lot of its defenses being made and/or controlled by her (Gumball Guardians, lot of fancy tech stuff) or hired by her (Finn and Jake), so her being gone would doom the place pretty quickly, especially given the average level of competence a candy person demonstrates. Finn and Jake are both pretty dang powerful and useful and constantly doing a lot of good, so likewise losing them would suck. James, meanwhile, was... Some dude. Even ignoring that he was replaceable in the most literal sense, well, yeah. Again, not a pretty or heroic decision, but looking at the long-term good of your nation it's hard to argue with.

Also, the war thing people are talking about is interesting, though I'm not sure the Candy Kingdom will be an aggressor, or at least not an invader. I mean, PB gave Lemongrab his own earldom, despite him having no power beyond that she herself gave him and being able to deal with him basically any time she wanted, though I suppose him being a candy person may have affected that. However, I suppose if the different factions all want the same thing, like that land PB's planning on settling...

Anyway, if there is a war, the different factions are all pretty terrifying. I mean, Flame Princess was able to destroy an entire kingdom by herself, and she's just a single player in the whole thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ChairMaster posted:

Thank you for adequately summarizing how I feel about these friggin posts. Come on people, are you seriously?

Given that people are suggesting things like that PB's goal was explicitly killing off James, which would make bringing Finn and Jake along both really stupid (they did nothing but slow that down and were dead weight while she was escaping, and she explicitly didn't want them hurt so their being there was entirely a liability if that was her goal) and pointlessly cruel ("hey guys this guy's gonna die, nothing you can do about it, ha ha, now I'm hitting you with a wrench"), that summary's not far from the mark.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

Or something

That was the deliberately extreme version so they could try to get a non-gory version with the knife and stuff. Didn't work though, the latter still got rejected as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently PB's real name is "Bonnibel", so some of the other princesses might have a similar thing going on. No idea what's up with Root Beer Guy and the like though.

Edit: As for Marceline's queenliness, she's shown up in things regarding Ooo royalty, so "Queen" seems to have something behind it. I think Pen's the one who said that she killed the Vampire King, meanwhile.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 5, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was amazing. PB is the best tyrant.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get the criticisms of PB people keep bringing up in regards to Wizards Only, Fools. Lot of people criticized PB's view of magic there, but PB understands magic perfectly. We've even seen her use it herself, to say nothing of the magical things she's messed with and created. She's right that (some/most) magic can be understood scientifically and that wizards are silly, silly people. Her main problems there were being insensitive to Starchy (though not in wanting him to take the medicine; even Finn and Jake helped her make him take it in the end, and they were sympathetic to Starchy's desire for magic) and not realizing that she was in a position of weakness when she tried to confront the Grand Master Wizard, digging herself into a deeper hole instead of cutting her losses and getting out. Oh, and bothering to go to Wizard City at all; risking her life (and Finn's and Jake's but they chose to go with her) over something completely unnecessary was not a smart move. But then we wouldn't have had an episode, so.

But yeah. I don't really get how people can watch an episode where there's a city where you can be killed (or possibly worse) for not being the right type of person, several people plotting to ritually sacrifice an innocent, and an overlord sentencing four people to jail because one of them wouldn't say that the previous things were awesome, and decide that PB's the one we're supposed to think is a jerk.

Captain Oblivious posted:

From...the most recent episode? The one that JUST aired? She threw a bunch of people in prison because they defied her right to jail some dude on false charges, the fact that her whims whipped around later doesn't change that.

Not to mention her crazy overblown vendetta with the Duke of Nuts. Peebles is a power mad irrational nutter sometimes.

Counterpoint: Proving that her dungeon could, in fact, hold all of them was hilarious. (Also the guy she jailed on false charges tried to enslave the woman who was defending him but that's less funny and more unnerving. The King of Ooo's pretty blatantly a bad dude, and the weird cult thing he's got going on is probably not good for anyone who isn't the King of Ooo.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kids aren't going to get the joke at the end anyway. Some, at least. I watched this episode with my little brothers, and it didn't get a reaction from them at all, despite them finding most of the episode hilarious. (And if a kid does get the joke, it's not exactly Adventure Time's fault that the kid has the necessary knowledge to pick up on it.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, his reason for not going to Choose Goose was that he needed a sword, and the armor Choose Goose sold them was [insert hourglass hand gesture here]. That at least was a pretty (un)subtle nod to the phallic nature of swords.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find it hilarious that people are so vehemently denying phallic imagery in a show where there was an episode about the teenage main character having dreams about his girlfriend blasting him in the crotch. Dreams he really, really liked.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MindTheGap posted:

That said, I got no penis vibes off of "Rattleballs". "Blade of Grass", yes, but not "Rattleballs".

Rattleballs rode a horse when he was younger and landed on the saddle so hard it knocked one of his balls up inside him, affecting his voice for years. You're welcome.

Then again, that's not quite what you said, but it's all that comes to mind.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. She obviously cares to some capacity, otherwise she wouldn't personally read stories to orphans as seen in the Princess Cookie episode, but it's like

Like she almost has a sort of cargo cult way of caring sometimes? She cares because that's what she's supposed to do as is right and proper and befitting of a good ruler, up until the point where she is defied or otherwise inconvenienced at which point she comes down like a twenty ton hammer.

I dunno, she went to Wizard City to get medicine that at best would be functionally indistinguishable from what she already had because one of her creations wanted it that way instead.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

And then she endangered all of her creations as well as two of her closest friends in the name of hubris. :v:

Thus tying back to "up until the point where she is defied or otherwise inconvenienced".

Going to a place where they will kill you on sight is pretty inconveniencing, I imagine. Also, how were all of her creations endangered?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MojoKingBee posted:

With the Red Throne thing, this could be really good or the final nail in the coffin for Finn. He could be mature, overcome his feelings, and help FP regain her throne. Or, he could be an enormous douchebag and gently caress up their relationship permanently by trying to make a move on her, and the fandom will probably never forgive him (I probably wouldn't either). GOD I hope its the former...

Too Old, take two. :getin:

(God I hope that doesn't happen. FP doesn't deserve that.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeruel posted:

Why the poo poo would they give something like <spoilers> away in a Facebook post.

Why would you post said spoilers openly in your complaint about spoilers being openly posted?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nerdbot posted:

Cinnamon Bun loving rules in this episode.

That he does.

Finn, though, is being a creep. Jeez.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MojoKingBee posted:

I kind of hope this episode doesn't hold any special significance for later. Nothing much really happened besides CB suddenly being perfect. FP is still king, Finn is still a creep who didn't learn poo poo, FK is still imprisoned. Honestly it was more of a CB episode than an FP one, and that disappoints me.

Well, at the end it was suggested that the poison might have lasting effects (Flame King used it as a reason that FP shouldn't be ruler, as if it wasn't going to be able to just recover from it), so she may no longer be an unstoppable force of destruction in the future. Especially if they're planning on doing something big soon; having a character who can destroy an entire kingdom on her own is a rather significant obstacle to get around.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve Yun posted:

And to think, a year ago everyone was complaining that FP didn't have any agency of her own and was just there to be an accessory to Finn

Actually, that's one of the things I didn't like about this episode; FP didn't have much agency of her own. While this episode mirrored Too Old for the most part (Finn trying to use someone else's needs as a way to get with them, instead being useless and shown up), a key difference here is that in Too Old, PB was for the most part the one doing everything. Her scheme worked, despite the hiccup of Lemonhope turning out to be rubbish with the flute, and in addition to demonstrating her competence it showed that she didn't need to rely on Finn.

On the other hand, FP was as useless in this episode as Finn was, and did effectively nothing throughout. Other than keeping Finn from killing the guards (which is a detail that probably should have come up beforehand, given that kicking rear end is Finn's whole thing; it's even why she went to him in the first place) and punching the Flame Lord in the end, she was there as a damsel in distress, a role that she was previously one of the only, what, two semi-major female characters to avoid? Instead, it was Cinnamon Bun who did everything of import here, from kicking rear end (in a way that wasn't really even something Finn couldn't have done) to giving a speech that managed to miss every possible note for me at the end. And, while it showed FP's lack of reliance on Finn, it still had her relying on someone else rather than her own strength and merits. Hell, she even got to be the reward of the hero saving the day, it just wasn't Finn who got to be that hero.

And that's my big issue with this episode. Too Old (further) established PB's lack of need for Finn and showed her strengths. Red Throne established FP's need for Cinnamon Bun and made her weaker. Possibly in more than one sense, if the poisoning has long-term effects. Not only did it retread the same ground as an older episode, but it did it worse and to the detriment of a character whose earlier episodes had finally been developing her as more than just a love interest. (Also, as others have stated, it's creepy as hell that the seeming adult, if a manchild previously, Cinnamon Bun is in love with a fifteen year old and all that. Bleh.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nephthys posted:

The episode could only work by making FP weaker though. Without that there would be no plot. And she's not trained in h2h combat or a badass fighter or anything that would let her kick rear end without her powers. She was only a "damsel" because she couldn't beat her entire kingdom being turned on her and because Finn was a moron who ran in without thinking and got them captured. FP has no strengths or merits that could have helped her in this situation without her power. So I don't see that as a legitimate problem so much as.... just realistic and not stupid.

Seriously, what else could she have done but rely on CB and Finn? She wasn't about to bust out Jackie Chan moves and whoop rear end and if you were expecting that then you were being super unrealistic in your expectations.

She wasn't a 'reward', or anything like that. The show goes out of its way to contrast this with Finn. Finn is constantly touching or trying to touch FP throughout the episode in a very creepy and unwanted manner. At the end of the episode, Cinnamon Bun offers his hand to FP. And she accepts out of genuine affection for him, romantic or not. She's her own woman, as was explicitly stated in the episode.

Except the only reason FP lost her powers is because the writers wanted her to. That's my problem here; yes, if FP is poisoned and loses her powers she's in trouble, but that's not the way it had to happen. If they wanted to restate the point of Too Old and put the final nail in the coffin for Finn getting with FP, there are many ways they could have done that that could have had FP have her own agency for this episode. Instead, she was a prop for Cinnamon Bun.

Everything Cinnamon Bun did was what Finn wanted to do. Finn wanted to be a badass and beat up the guards, Cinnamon Bun did. Finn wanted to save the day and put FP back on her throne, instead Cinnamon Bun did. Finn wanted to confess his love to FP and have it reciprocated; instead, Cinnamon Bun. Cinnamon Bun lived Finn's fantasy, and even if you argue that he had better motives (which is debatable; after the love confession in the end, everything CB did before it is cast in a different light) having CB do exactly what Finn wanted to is a terrible way to drive home the point that what Finn wants is stupid.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, had to stop writing this post halfway through to do some work, so it might come off as a bit disjointed. Edit: Holy crap it's worse than I thought; I didn't preview this and I basically wrote the entire thing twice over when I got back. Wow this is a mess.

Steve Yun posted:

Flame Princess rejected Don Jon, who complains to Flame King that "she's her own woman!"

Finn is rejected likewise for only thinking about getting FP back and not thinking about serving her. His mindset is an embarrassing echo of Don Jon.

Flame Princess has plenty of agency in this episode. She decides for herself who she likes. CB is her champion now because he genuinely places her wishes over his own, and winning her affection wasn't even a thought or prerequisite for him when he served her.

The guy who won her over is the guy who prioritized serving her over winning her. That's a relatively nuanced and sophisticated difference to put forth in a cartoon, but there you go.

The entire episode is about people winning and losing based on their character, and not because of their power.

FP being poisoned is critical to this theme.

FP, despite having lost her powers, is popular with the people because of her kindness as a ruler. At the end when Flame King and Don Jon point out that FP is weak, the people still take her side and say they just remember FK being a huge rear end in a top hat.

Don Jon and Flame King lose because Don Jon wanted to coerce FP into marrying him and gets pissy when he gets rejected. The selfishness of Don Jon and the angry indignation of Flame King resulted in them losing even when they had the upper hand: They fight and Don Jon gets knocked out, resulting in everyone being freed from the mind control trance.

Finn could have maybe won FP back, this was a golden opportunity dropped into his lap. FP tells CB that she's seen Finn fight huge armies singlehandedly. FP is turning to Finn because of his power, but ironically all that power of his turned out to be useless because of his character not being in the right place. Because he prioritized winning her back over serving her (in more blunt terms, putting his goals over her goals) he screwed up this chance.

Once again, this entire episode is about people winning and losing based on their character, and not because of their power.

And I reiterate, FP being poisoned is critical to this theme.

Okay, you're missing my point. The power wasn't the important part, it was the lack of FP doing anything. What she does in this episode is get poisoned, get Finn, get captured again, and then get put back on the throne by Cinnamon Bun. She is completely passive throughout. You could have replaced her with an inanimate object and the episode would not have changed.

quote:

Motivation is critical. It's the difference between a selfish person and a selfless person.

Because CB wanted to serve FP, he spent time plotting out battle plans and resorted to fist-fighting without a moment's hesitation. What did Finn do? He put on a fireproof suit and went "hey check out this thing I'm wearing" and when he was told he couldn't resort to his lethal sword, he was completely at a loss of what to do. CB sprung into action because serving FP meant his own self-preservation wasn't even a priority.

Again, point, missed. The only reason Finn failed here is because he was obvious in his motives, and also suddenly forgot that he can and has beat dudes up without his sword before. He literally does heroic stuff like this all the time; he just didn't do it this time, and Cinnamon Bun did. He's even done some blatant showing off while heroing it up in the past. The episode was a standard knight rescuing the princess thing, as with many, many other Adventure Time episodes, except this time, Finn didn't get to be the knight. Rather than the message "heroics aren't enough", which is kind of a big deal since Finn's been demonstrating that he thinks that being a "hero" is enough to get him what he wants (recognition from PB, love from FP), and "reality" is slowly infringing upon the Finn's life and just being good at fighting demonstrably isn't enough, it's "being a hero is enough but Finn is an idiot". Which is a terrible moral that doesn't follow what the show's been getting at, other than that Finn sucks. Which could have been included in a moral that also goes with how the show's been trying to demonstrate that being the ideal, classic hero is not realistic or all you need to be a good person or partner. But instead, they had CB do what Finn would have done in pretty much any other episode; it's not even like Too Old where Finn was out of his element. Like so much else in this episode, it felt fake.

Nephthys posted:

Well the plot only works because FP was depowered. You couldn't tell this story without that because Flame Princess couldn't have been dethroned without it. Just because she's too much of a badass with her powers. She took the throne off-screen cuz it was that easy for her. If you mean that they should have done a completely different plot altogether then whatever. The story wasn't just about restating the point of Too Old, CB's progression was very much a part of this story and it was only possible because FP's "weakness" allowed him to step up. And even then she is pointed out to be strong at the end by Cinnamon Bun so meeeeeh.

As I stated above, having a character be completely passive for an entire episode is a terrible way to demonstrate their strength. Not to mention that FP was a female character who got to be active and capable while still having depth and trying to be a good, caring leader. Now, she's another princess who has to be championed and protected. Also, CB's statement at the end means nothing when the entire episode said otherwise; there's a reason "show, don't tell" is a thing, and that there is it.

Again, this whole episode felt fake; with how genuine Adventure Time normally is, that's a huge failing for it. Everything from Flame Princess being overthrown by a plot that the Flame King had no real way of making to Finn forgetting that he knows how to fight without a sword to Cinnamon Bun's trite speech at the end felt forced and unnatural. It's like the writers wanted to get somewhere (FP no longer being even remotely a possibility for Finn, possibly FP being depowered for some future event) and just drew the most direct path to it. It feels unnatural.

I don't even care about the "Finn's still a creep" bit. I'm fine with that. That much was obvious; Rattleballs wasn't about him moving on, it was about him trying to ignore his feelings by obsessing over something else, and likewise pretty much every previous episode was about him still being hung up on Flame Princess. Heck, even the description of this episode made it blatant that he was going to screw it up. Everyone knew or should have known that was coming. Likewise, that FP is pretty much completely out as an option for Finn isn't bad either in and of itself. Early romances not always working out is perfectly reasonable and even bucks the trend for how these things normally go in media. FP and Finn were cute together, but what he did is drat hard to overcome and that being the end of it makes perfect sense.

However, this episode trips all over in its attempts to establish these things. Finn needs to realize that he can't just be the knight in shining armor but needs to actually learn to be a good boyfriend when not heroing it up; instead, he's a dumbass and CB's the knight in shining armor. This does not actually teach him the lesson he needs to learn at all, because it was exactly what he meant to do, he just did it wrong.

In Earth & Water, FP's issue is how everyone's being dishonest with her. Finn was a dick to her and emotionally manipulated her, and now PB is coming to study her, with actually helping her being incidental. She wasn't really in danger here (despite everything PB didn't seem to have any intention of hurting her, just figuring out a way to make her less dangerous to, well, everything). Then, Cinnamon Bun comes along and treats her like a person rather than a romantic object or a threat and something to study. What she needed was someone who would be honest with her and who she could talk to, an actual friend, rather than a boyfriend or to "understand what's wrong with her" or whatever.

Not only that, but she occupied a unique and interesting place in the show. She wasn't a damsel in distress, like every non-major princess and sometimes PB. Her power served an interesting narrative purpose; she was trying to understand the world, her place in it, and how she affected it, and despite her inherent destructive potential and her supposed evilness, she was kind and understanding, but still had personality beyond that too. She was more active than PB, had responsibilities and obligations that Marceline didn't (and by her own choice, whereas being the Candy Kingdom's ruler is just what PB does at this point), and so on.

Now, though, most of that is gone. What we see of her being a "good ruler" is giving a kid some hair treatment and preparing to fix a dude's microwave. Pretty much every problem she has is fixed for her; other than telling Don John and Finn that she's not into them, she spends the entire episode needing people to take care of her problems. Her friend whose entire thing was that he wasn't a boyfriend but instead was a good guy is now pledging his undying love to her. It's like when she was introduced; rather than her own character, her entire role was to be the object of another character's affection, except it's worse because now we've actually seen her with depth, complexity, and agency beyond burning the things in front of her, and now it isn't there.

This episode could have arrived at its destination (Finn and FP will most definitely not be getting back together, Finn needs to realize there's more to love that being a hero) in so many better ways. It's disappointing, more than anything else. Finn got no development and FP practically got anti-development, and for all Cinnamon Bun's changing that's probably going to come to nothing since he's a minor character and this episode seemed to be writing out FP as far as Finn is concerned, and CB's whole thing now is that he's attached to her. The Red Throne went effectively nowhere, beyond ending Finn's chances with Flame Princess.

axleblaze posted:

I'm honestly confused by this idea. How does the fact that he acted out of love really change all that much? Yes, he loves her and I guess that means her being happy does benefit him in some way, but that's sort of an odd way to be looking at it. It's not like he does this just for the affection of the princess. He doesn't even bring up the fact that he loves her until he needs to do it in a way that benefits her much more than it does him. CB does what he does to make FP happy while Finn does what he does because he hopes it'll get him FP. I don't even really see how this episode even made that ambiguous in the slightest.

Well, besides, again, the age thing, up to that point it seems like CB is doing everything selflessly, yes. Make him a rival to Finn, though, and things like moving her away from him (which is also another example of FP's lack of agency here; she even needed Cinnamon Bun to deal with Finn when he was being creepy) seem competitive. The perspective shifts from him protecting her from a bad influence to protecting her from someone who isn't him. Even if the rest of the episode stayed the same, that bit at the end, between tossing out the whole "FP is more than just a love interest" thing out the window and, whether intentionally or not, recoloring the rest of the episode, was a bad move. (And again, he's explicitly almost thirty according to an earlier episode. What the gently caress is he doing declaring his love for a fifteen year old and saying he'll never leave her side again?)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 13, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CuddlyZombie posted:

This is a good amount of quo-shifting, too.

Not really, in my opinion. Marceline lost Hambo, which while big to her is minor plot-wise and, you know, wasn't really important for anything outside of being the catalyst for Sky Witch and a minor detail in Memory of a Memory, and Betty's around but watching from a distance and, well, not really affecting anything. Kind of like Maja, on the topic of Sky Witch; it may or may not be set up for a future episode, but the status quo hasn't actually shifted at all.

This is the second episode in a row that's been kind of disappointing, really. Both this one and The Red Throne felt kind of off, and more like they're setting up for something than existing for their own sake, though at least this one really did something; The Red Throne didn't even have Finn learn a lesson, given his line at the end. But this is another one that I really liked the idea of based on the description and ended up finding the execution lacking.

Besides that, though, neither really entertained my little brothers (nine and twelve years old); I watch every new episode with them because they love this show, but this time, even though the younger one was so excited to see the episode that I had to remind him to finish his homework several times before we could watch it, when the episode was actually playing he drifted off back to his tablet over time. Other one didn't laugh once during it, though it held his attention at least. The Red Throne was similar in this regard; I think a bit of CB's antics amused them but otherwise they weren't really engaged there either. Didn't really remember that back then because they went back to their mom's the next day and I got distracted by work stuff, but having just watched the episode with them it really stuck out.

Also, n-thing that it felt rushed. Like, really really rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, going back to what I and others have said about this episode setting up for other things, I think the way this episode went about it didn't quite work, at least as well as it could have. Like, in previous seasons they'd do big things that were set up in advance, but the setup was always hinted at or established in an episode that had more going on and a point besides being the catalyst to later events. Finn the Human used the established threat of the Lich, Billy, the Enchiridion; even the gems were a thing we'd been seeing, so the revelation that, hey, they are actually important (but LSP's isn't) was meaningful and neat. Or, for a simpler and more recent example, Sky Witch set up Maja as a potential threat (and brought back Hambo, which was used here, actually), but it also had adventuring PB and Marceline, in itself a neat thing, a fair amount of funny moments, and so on.

Betty, on the other hand, obviously exists mainly for the purpose of establishing that, well, Betty's around now, and may do a thing in the future. It wanted to get to this point, and it took the most direct route there, to the detriment of the episode itself. It may mean more when we get payoff for this, but on its own it feels weak, which is unfortunate and out of the norm for Adventure Time. This was also one of my issues with The Red Throne. While episodes like I Remember You were best if you knew about what was going on, other than the second halves of the two-parters every episode can generally stand on its own and has its own things going on. Which is one of the strengths of Adventure Time and its episodic format, I believe, so an episode that is mostly setup... Well, I already said and don't need to start repeating myself again.

So, in summary, yeah. This one should have been a two-parter, as people have been saying, so it wouldn't have felt so rushed and it could have done more than establish "hey, here's Betty". Not even as one big event, but a thing like they did with Finn breaking his sword and Jake getting kidnapped.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 25, 2014

• Locked thread