Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

I can't recall if Ice King did anything evil this season

He ended all of reality and killed everyone alive that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Steve Yun posted:

Even then, there isn't the malice in Ice King like there is in the Lich, he attempted to erase the world so that he could argue PB into going on a date with him.

I do like the idea that the ice crown is actually super awful and evil, and it just happens that simon is the nicest dude ever and so instead of making him a scary monster like it instantly made finn he's basically been able to resist and just become a dumb old man.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

She just didn't seem threatening at all.

They have set her up as threatening, she isn't the sort of villain that comes to your house and punches you real hard or something, she's the sort of villain that takes the thing you love the most in the world away from you. That is clearly the sort of villain an adventure time story can set up to be a powerful story.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boom boom boom posted:

Only the show is canon. The comic, the games and the encyclopedia are all based off the show, but the show makers don't care about contradicting them.

The show isn't even canon, all sorts of things on the show contradict each other.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

I dunno, I think the show is usually pretty consistent. Usually. Every show's got consistency errors here and there.

Nah, this show tends to be real loosey goosey with the facts, once they actually deal with something in the plot they tend to pin it down more solidly, but there is a ton of stuff in one off jokes that either has been contradicted ("I made this crown with magic I stole") or clearly would be if they decided to go another way (PB having an uncle). Generally if someone says something in a joke it's pretty clear it's not set in stone and the later writers can either confirm it or just ignore it and the show doesn't care.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

Oh, you mean like from Season 1. Yeah, at this point I wouldn't consider Season 1 entirely canon either.

Nah, I'm sure if in a few seasons they want to bring crow-bitch back and decide something about the original appearance doesn't fit they aren't gonna feel any more trapped into having to follow some detail than they were with the old stuff, It's just that sort of show.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

I think the reason I have a problem with Finn going straight back to PB in "Too Young" is because it seems to contradict significant build up that he was over her. Namely, his confession to her in "Burning Low", the cut across the cheek in "The Lich", and his "that road leads to nowhere" line in "The Suitor". It feels almost contrived to me.

A teenage boy being illogical or inconsistent about romance and dating, how unrealistic!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Did you miss the episode, Son of Mars? We know his backstory is something tragic.

Son of mars always feels like a weird episode that drifted in over from some other series. None of it really makes sense. Looking it up it's written by a writer that wrote just that episode then left the show. It feels like someone that threw in a ton of big concepts without really backing it up.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

scary ghost dog posted:

So the Candy Kingdom is built on ground zero of a nuke attack?

Ooo seems like its 90% ground zero of nuke attacks.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Arbitrary Number posted:

She seems really young though? Like Finn's age young. I don't think she'd have kids.

Finn already has a bunch of kids: goliad, nepter, pillow kids.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MizPiz posted:

I guess that makes Finn and Jake the Night's Watch, so then what are the White Walkers?

jean luc picard: master jedi.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
For a lot of the princesses it seems like they are the only actually full person, and the rest of their kingdom is just weird half formed not fully intelligent semi-people. Like "princess" is the marker of being a fully formed person who has some weird themed brood.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MojoKingBee posted:

Speaking of which, just had a thought. Finn turned into a bit of a douche really suddenly (pretty much exactly at Frost & Fire), maybe he can go back to being a cool guy just as suddenly? I dunno, just spitballing here.

He's kinda always been a douche, the show just gave you enough context over time to realize it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Acquire Currency! posted:

Heads up the Card Wars game for iOS is pretty fun.

Heads up: it's the most insufferably free to play game I've ever played and it isn't even free!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Something to remember on the topic of "is this for kids" is to remember that not every kid has a leave it to beaver childhood. Not every show should be so grim, but it's okay if some are, there is more than one kid in the US with a terrible deadbeat dad or a sick mentally ill grandfather or trouble with responsibility. It's really cool for SOME show to have a hero that deals with what they deal with and ultimately comes out okay.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The evergreen episode leaked and holy moly is it a big plot episode! fuuuuuck.

who could possibly have guessed the origin of the ice crown was lovely dads

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pick posted:

I found "Evergreen" actually pretty pointless and it isn't funny.

I don't know it was even meant to be particularly funny. Like there is never going to be an episode of adventure time that is 100% stark serious but I don't feel like the goal of this episode was to be hilarious. It was backstory and plot and talking more about the cycle of abuse and bad dads that have been a running theme for a while in adventure time in a way that is gonna touch really close to home for certain people

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pick posted:

Evergreen talk: Even "Simon & Marcy" tried to have some lift to it. "Evergreen" is just a mean episode.

it really changes the feeling of "i love you.... gunther" from that episode

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pick posted:

Right, and this show... needs to stop doing that. It needs to stop taking jokes from Season 1 and giving even them tragic backstories.

They already make a million kid's shows that are just silly fun. It's fine if one decides to sometimes include less happy themes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pick posted:

That's about all it does any more, is depressing unnecessary slogs from artists mad at their parents.

Adventure Time should be children's entertainment, oriented at the needs and yes, to some extent, the wants of those children. I can't imagine a child enjoying "Evergreen". We even have an upset child striking a small animal for no reason. Episodes like this are for adult fans to the exclusion of children. Adults have our own entertainment; it's wrong to take it away from kids. We know that they can strike a good balance--Holly Jolly Secrets and I Remember You are some of the best episodes of the series. But it was a balance.

Not every kid gets the same childhood, the idea that there are lovely parents is not some abstract literary concept for plenty of kids out there. There is plenty of shows for the good homes to teach kids that father knows best and parents love you and at the end of the episode family is there for you. But not every kid has that and a show that says "some dads are poo poo, they are seriously the worst, don't look up to them" is a really good message that a lot of kids need.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bass Bottles posted:

The problem with the tragic backstory stuff is that they do it too often so it loses impact, and it has been sloppy lately anyway. Evergreen doesn't do humor or story well so the whole thing feels bland and mediocre.

Were you really hoping for or wishing for a happy backstory to the ice crown what would that even be? I can spoil a future episode for you too: The mushroom war episode will be unhappy when they get around to making it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pick posted:

Here's a thought: Why did we need this backstory at all?

Why not? Again, it seems like there is plenty of continuity-less kids shows. Good ones even. Why worry that like 1 in 10 adventure time episodes focuses on world building? It's not like they are outnumbering sillier episodes and it's also not like even the most serious episode isn't 90% jokes. Did you really not laugh at slimey D or the bongo guy saying 'thats what you get'

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Also adventure time has one of the highest parental guidence ratings of any of the shows on cartoon network. Almost every other show is TV-Y7 and adventure time is TV-PG. It's for teens and not toddlers, along with at least 215 pages of mostly adults in this thread.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel sad no one wantS to talk about the episode and only wants to talk if the episode should exist at all

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dolash posted:

Has anyone mentioned the new comet that's heading toward Ooo, from the end of Evergreen? Also apparently the last comet had a Lich corona so apparently the Lich is from space or some such thing, but yeah a new comet's coming and presumably that'll be a problem since the last one destroyed all life.

it sounded like comets like that were frequent and that one only killed the dinosaurs because it was hungry for extinction and had scary little waves coming off it. The new one is white and calm looking so I'm not totally clear if it was another evil comet or something more benign

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Say Nothing posted:

Now that Steven Universe has openly shown a romantic relationship between two (humanoid) women

Not openly, there is still a layer that a fusion isn't a romantic relationship. I mean it's very clear it is but if the censors come asking it's still hand wavy enough to say "I never thought of that, what are you talking about" about it being dating.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Slime posted:

He does improve over time, but I can definitely see why you'd dislike him based on the earlier episodes.

He seems like a character that is easy to dislike based on what you assume he's going to be instead of what he actually is in the show. He generally plays against type a lot.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It looks like nearly every episode this season is about bubblegum and marcy, are they going to admit they dated now that sugar has left and made her dream show where nearly every major character is space gay and proved you can show that on tv in 2015?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I like how clear it was that megamush wasn't really a threat and was just shooting them because they teased it with the fake and being shot with it was almost totally harmless.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Did that episode settle that bmo is a boy? (and football is a girl?) instead of the weird cool genderless robot thing they had been doing?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Castle Radium posted:

Yeah, but the point is they're both BMO. The poor little guy(or gal) is basically having a psychotic meltdown.

I mean someone is drooling to call me a tumblr SJW or whatever for typing this but it seemed cool to have BMO just be a genderless robot that could be he or she depending on mood rather than it being part of being literally insane.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Das Boo posted:

I thought that was canon? Everybody refers to BMO as a different gender, usually with guys referring to it as "him" and gals, "her." It's more affectionate than "it," much in the same way someone refers to their car as a "she." Even BMO stumbled over he/she when referring to itself. It's not a matter of technical correctness, but of emotional personification.

That is how it's always been, this episode was consistent about calling bmo him and football her and I hate the idea of reducing it to just a split personality thing.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I absolutely love that they managed to give animal hats a perfectly reasonable origin story.

I absolutely love that they made a joke about not giving the king of OOO an origin story.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

My biggest problem with the show is that we have kind of exhausted Jake. There are no more Jake mysteries, we know who he is, where his powers came from, who his whole family is, he already has his GF and his kids and his whole life. Honestly its gotta be weird for Finn. Like I said, I'm 27, and I have SOME friends who are getting married and a few of my besties have kids of their own, but Im sort of the outlier who hasn't settled yet. Finn and Jake grew up together and Jake had his entire life figured out by the time Finn had his first girlfriend and was just meeting his dad for the first time. Now he's got all of adolescence and adulthood to go and Jake is practically ready for retirement.

Did you change your mind half way through writing this? It seems like you started out talking about how jake story was exhausted then changed topics to talking about how jake and finn's situation is super relatable to you (and thus would be a good place for him to be to tell stories that resonate well with you).

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm saying Jake is now harder for Finn and I to relate to now

In a way that you are going to rapidly encounter in your own life mr single man who is soon to turn 30 and and find all their close friends now have families and magic dog powers that you don't have.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MariusLecter posted:

Not so much homophobic, just very anti subtext and fan art/fiction.

Never seen them posting anything about it if anyone suggest two heterosexual characters might date or want to date. Weird how that works.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Megaspel posted:

They fired a dude for pointing out the possibility of a gay relationship lets not forget. They definitely don't want to be known as the cartoon with the queer couple in it.

Yeah, but that was before rebecca sugar left the show and made the gayest show ever made which is so gay that one of the primary characters is actually two gay midgets stuck together and had that show be one of the top most successful shows on the entire network. Almost everyone involved with adventure time has openly stated that PB and marceline dated already and they clearly did from the show, I can't imagine the network is going to keep it's dumb thing up forever now that steven universe does it weekly and still managed to be so successful.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Megaspel posted:

I'm saying it doesn't matter what the creators post on twitter, the point of including queer characters is to normalize it, but who are they normalizing it to? The people following the artists on twitter already agree with what they're saying, but they're too scared to say it to anyone who might change their mind or oppose the message. It's not doing much good is all I'm saying.

They haven't kept it out of the show because they wanted to be sneaky or something, They kept it out of the show because the network told them they had to.

That likely will change eventually since another popular show on the very same network for the very same audience has openly gay characters as a major plot element and their oppression as a driving character motivation.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Megaspel posted:

Steven Universe is obviously a step above, but I wouldn't say it's totally non-ambiguous. The only explicit homosexual relationship is between Ruby and Sapphire, but Ruby is sorta designed that the person watching could read into either gender they feel more comfortable with, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think female pronouns are mentioned in episodes with them kissing or whatever, so disinterested parties don't notice the homosexual agenda taking over children's media. I'm cool with that, since obviously those type of people could do a lot of harm, and the message is still getting through pretty cleanly in SU. It's not totally unambiguous though, I'd bet they might redub certain countries so that Ruby is a boy or they're just sisters who love each other very much or something.

I'm cool with SU's representation, it is more explicit, and I'm cool with the ambiguity. I don't think it's fair to say it's totally unambiguous though, because I don't think it is.

Like one page back people complained bubblegum and marceline are bad because they are hot teens so it's sexualizing and now ruby is bad because she's too butch? It seems like there is an awful specific set of qualities lesbians are allowed to have to 'count' in media.

Also: ruby's voice actress might have something to say about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFfKvP4vSL0

Owlofcreamcheese fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Megaspel posted:

Jeeze, calm down. I'm not saying it was bad, I'm saying it's ambiguous for people who don't want to see gay relationships in cartoons

But it's not ambiguous, any more than saying that the actual real life actual woman that plays ruby is herself sometimes told she is too manish and not a real women.

• Locked thread