Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

nooneofconsequence posted:

You think Cheers was broadcast to other planets?

Well....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It's kind of weird to me that Lemongrab and Flame Princess in the course of this season went from side characters to ruling their own populated kingdom (LG didn't have subjects until all your fault). Are they setting up some kind of World War Ooo?

A Game of Scones

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

There's a reason why networks like CN generally don't let the public see their pilots... it's funny that it was only online for maybe 2 hours at most on Cartoon Network's website and now people have burned it into their brains.

The thing to keep in mind is Cartoon Network has a production pipeline that puts the artists first, and lets them have their unique imprint on every cartoon. Think about how basic the Adventure Time designs are, but how a Rebecca Sugar episode of Adventure Time contains all of her artistic nuances and details. There are really awesome people behind Steven Universe that are going to leave their fingerprints all over that cartoon.

Also since it's Rebecca Sugar I bet it will have the best songs too.

Although I definitely prefer the designs from the pilot, I didn't hate the original promotional image that exposed the new art style.

THIS one, though.... looks really awful :(

I think it's just awkward poses from a poorly timed screencap, though. Have they released any video of the new look in motion?

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 24, 2013

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Steven Universe website is up but still no specific airdate other than November.

e: And a new promo video.

e: e: Airdate is November 4th at 8 PM ET.

Here's an even longer promo video with a ton of video footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTXhbOssdJU

The new art style looks better in motion. I think it will just take some getting used to. Way excited for this show :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

This episode gave me serious Evil Dead vibes. A friend becomes a hideous demon, gleefully threatening our hero as he tries to restrain them.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Steven Universe, The red eye short clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pMmbScN3-A

Here's another clip http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/steven-universe/video/crystal-gems-exclusive-first-look-clip.html

The more I see of this show in motion, the more I actually like the new art style.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Here's the title sequence for Steven Universe straight from NYCC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSyaXG5XsN0

Love it.

I hope there's a version with the full song. Maybe it will appear in one of the episodes?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

Edit: Adventure Time #21 is now out.

I want this as a poster so bad. Who drew it?

Anime Lemongrab is the best.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Geokinesis posted:

Didn't the guy who drew this also draw a super sexualised PB in a bikini?

He did? Artists are weird.

I don't want that one as a poster.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Quinton posted:

Yeah, BW was a little rocky at the start, but I really enjoyed it. Also, catbug.

All of season one if you want to give it another go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv99gj1xxWw

Just re-watched episode one and I think it's really good. I think people were initially turned off by the adult humor and assumed the show would be Adventure Time with less creativity and more swearing. But it hasn't turned out that way at all.

I still don't understand what the Bravest Warriors are, though. Are they superheroes? Do they have jobs? Why are they traveling around outer space visiting crazy worlds?

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 17, 2013

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

MindTheGap posted:

Okay, I have heard this several times from people who think that BW is only relying on "randum lol" humor. You guys are aware that butter lettuce is an actual breed of lettuce, right?

Sorry, "Bravest Warriors" is awesome, and I cannot wait until season 2 starts this afternoon.

It's not as good as Adventure Time, but it's also a low budget web series. It's not really fair to directly compare them.

I didn't love it at first, but it grew on me and I think it's great.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Macaluso posted:

How "low budget" is Bravest Warriors because it looks REALLY nice.

Yeah, I'm not sure. There's no way it has the same budget as a "real" TV show, but the latest episode had ridiculously high production values. I get the sense that the budget for season 2 is much bigger.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Pyronic posted:

so Steven's Mom was Rose Quartz of the Crystal Gems before him? I was kinda into the idea that Steven was some random kid they found with a gem in his belly button

I wonder if Steven's mother will be a major backstory element of Steven Universe. Is she dead? Rebecca Sugar did some great work on the Simon and Marcy stuff, so I'm excited to see where she takes her own show. I hope it gets a world and history as fleshed out as Adventure Time.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Necrosaro posted:

The Bee and Puppycat Kickstarter is over. With a final total at this time of $872,133 with 18,209 backers.

:toot: Pretty happy with this outcome. It was looking iffy for a while there, but in the end we got 3 extra episodes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Wow that episode was dark. Princess Bubblegum is the embodiment of Utilitarianism. I love these episodes where the cartoon princess of a kingdom made out of candy has to make uncomfortable ethical decisions. I think PB might be my favorite cartoon character.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TheBystander posted:

I still wonder why she took so long to sacrifice James. Time was of the essence, and she clearly had already come to her decision early on, as that was her rationalization for why she sabotaged Finn's plans. But then why ask Finn in the first place, and why waste time wrecking up the radio? She also didn't even give Finn the chance to object, knocking him and Jake out the moment she was ready to go. Why not explain the plan, and how she can "bring James back", during the time she spent sabotaging?

Ultimately, what bothers me isn't her choice to sacrifice James, which I find cold but ultimately necessary. What bothers me is all of the choices surrounding it, which I find questionable. A good leader makes tough decisions, but a bad leader wastes times, sabotages their own supplies, and assaults their own allies rather than explaining the situation. PB kinda dropped the ball in this one.

Maybe she was trying to think of a way to save everyone, but didn't fully commit to the idea of sacrificing James until Finn said that sacrificing someone was the only option left.

As for why she sabotaged the other options, that's just how PB rolls. She knew that Finn and Jake would have wasted time protesting her plans and trying to get the radio working, so she took the most direct route to her desired outcome. The cloning thing was clearly just a show put on to ease Finn and Jake's guilt. You could tell they didn't fully accept her rationalization, but they didn't exactly reject it either. Their faith in her is strong enough that she can get away with stuff like this.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 26, 2013

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Slime posted:

When our only two examples of intelligent and reliable candy people are PB and Goliad, it doesn't exactly paint a fantastic picture of what would happen if Ooo had a whole kingdom of them.

Root Beer Guy is pretty legit, he was just in a bad place :unsmith:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

You can also get them on Amazon, which streams to more than just Apple hardware/PCs.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

El Tortuga posted:

I just watched this week's AT, and call me crazy, but... I didn't like this episode very much. Like, at all. I am not trying to get the thread going in circles, but I hope there's not a Tree Trunks episode ever again. This entire episode just felt like a joke I wasn't getting. It just seemed too soft (if that makes any sense), and it ran SO fast. It almost felt like it was five minutes too and had a lot cut out, so everything just seemed jarred and full of quick-edits. I can get that LSP wasn't invited because she has to make every party HER party (I guess?), but I really think that needed more time. Tree Trunks annoyed me, her mom annoyed me, her ex-husband annoyed me, the King of Ooo annoyed me. I haven't felt this "eh" about an episode since "The Great Bird Man". Plus, that joke at the end was just way too inappropriate.

Convince me that I'm wrong, thread!

The ending joke was the best since the original Tree Trunks episode :colbert:

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Roland Jones posted:

I find it hilarious that people are so vehemently denying phallic imagery in a show where there was an episode about the teenage main character having dreams about his girlfriend blasting him in the crotch. Dreams he really, really liked.

And also when one of the actual storyboard artists occasionally drops by the thread to say "Yes that was meant as symbolic imagery."

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Huh, that would be the first change to his regular design, wouldn't it?

Yeah, I'm curious about this. I have serious doubts that Cartoon Network would allow a drastic change to Finn's design like a permanent robot arm, but if they allow this minor thing it might pave the way for future changes.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You'd think they'd be all for it because of the toy and merch prospects.

That kind of thing doesn't happen in these shows, though. Spongebob would never change his design.

Plus, we've already seen with PBs de-aging and Jake's parenthood that the status-quo does not change for longer than an episode.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Season finale is coming up soon, so my guess is it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Do we know exactly how many episodes are left in the season, or is it just a vague "finale soon?"

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Instead of growing to 22 minutes, I think the show just needs to bite off a little less with these episodes. Betty coming to Ooo is a big enough deal to end an episode on, and the creation of a time machine should be more of an ordeal. It shouldn't have been a 30 second thing at the start of the episode. Splitting the story into two simultaneous subplots would have also helped alleviate the rushed feeling.

Plot A: Finn and Marceline try to defeat the anti-magic wizard to bring magic back into the world and stop Simon from dying. Classic AT adventure and humor with goofy wizard antics.

Plot B: Simon tries desperately to get his time machine working before he dies so he can say goodbye to Betty. Insert those "mocked by Death" scenes for added dramatic effect.

Betty jumping through the time portal at the end could have been the big climax. They embrace when suddenly Marcy and Finn defeat the wizard, magic comes back, and Simon turns back into Ice King. He doesn't recognize her, so she steals some of his science stuff and flies off on the magic carpet.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I picked the wrong episode to start watching halfway through..... Like, what?

But LSP's moltov and PB's cyanide gum were a magical 30 seconds of television.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

That episode was amazing. It was weird as hell, and told a mostly self-contained thousand-year spanning sci-fi short story. I loved the surreal dream sequences, but that ending song was the best part. Getting to see the ruins of the Candy Kingdom 1000 years into the future was so cool. It's sad that things seemed to have fallen apart, but it's also nice to see how far they progressed first. Bittersweet, just like Lemons.

I don't understand how they have the freedom to create stuff like this. It's so weird, and I can't imagine kids actually enjoy it.

But I do :)

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

An upcoming episode of Adventure Time is getting guest-animated by Masaaki Yuasa.

Wow, this looks fantastic. I love when the show changes things up like this. That CGI episode was really weird, and probably out of character/non-canon, but I still really enjoyed it.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

computer parts posted:

The Hero's Journey is a specific subset of heroic myth; you wouldn't call The Odyssey as a Hero's Journey because Odysseus is already a wise adventurer and does not start from humble beginnings.

So it's the old-school version of TV Tropes. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Pick posted:

I don't think children's entertainment necessarily needs to instill "hard lessons" as soon as possible. It's okay for six-year-olds to have unrealistically happy stories. In my mind, it's a form of moralizing and when it comes too early it only serves to upset and traumatize kids who are old enough to process conflict but still feel (and in many cases are) powerless when confronting it.

The occasional moment is fine, or something like Simon and Marcy, but since the midpoint of Season 5 it has been a dominating attitude. "Bad Timing" is a disconcerting episode for adults, I genuinely would not show it to children.

Adventure Time doesn't seem to worry about catering to kids at all, anymore. Not just with the dark episodes, but also with the slower episodes like BMO Noir.

That said, it's rated PG. What age range are you talking about here? I think the show might be aimed more at teenagers than six-year-olds. It and Regular show have this weird misplaced feeling when compared to the rest of CN's line-up. Do they still show ads for Beyblade and Super Soakers?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Really enjoyed this light-hearted cartoon about suicidal clones.

Seriously, though. It was a fun, silly episode and a nice change of pace from the premiere (which I also enjoyed).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

reignofevil posted:

Given the conclusion I don't think we can even completely rule out a further return of James 1.

Candy coating merely covering up the radioactive sins of the past is a big theme of the show.

In the first James episode, Finn and Jake were very disturbed about sacrificing someone and replacing them with a clone. 25 clones later, it's a joke to them. I could see that playing into a future "Princess Bubblegum and her questionable ethics" episode.

Or maybe it was just supposed to be funny. Both episodes are technically examples of dark humor, James I was just a little darker.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

But that's not even the problem. That man is getting irrationally angry about a cartoon he doesn't watch.

I understand get annoyed about cartoons with obnoxious squeaky/shrieky voices and lots of yelling, but what I like about Adventure Time and Regular Show is that their audio is actually pretty un-grating (with a few ACCEPTABLE exceptions)

PowerPuff Girls, on the other hand....

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

PB re-aged after one episode, Jake moved out of the treehouse to be a dad for one episode, and Finn got his arm back after a couple episodes.

It's just a fact that they will never make any major changes be permanent. Finn's never going to permanently lose an arm, Ice King will never permanently change back into Simon (or die), PB will never permanently become a villain, and Finn will never be in a permanent relationship. There will never be a permanent change to the status quo. I don't think the network would actually allow it to happen.

Little things with side characters like Billy dying or Tree Trunks getting married don't count.

I'm not making a judgement about whether this is good or bad, I'm just saying that it's never going to happen.

Edit: Well, I think specifically this applies to the core cast, who I consider to be Finn, Jake, Ice King, and Princess Bubblegum. Other characters may have major changes happen, but it's still pretty doubtful.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 1, 2014

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm reading a lot of "things changed and they went back to normal, no real continuity, the team was obviously bullied by the execs for toy purposes!" stuff and I just don't understand why no one buys that they just said what they needed to say and moved on.

Finn lives in a world where literally every person he knows has magic powers or super science, so we were always gonna get him a new arm. I think a "handful" of episodes about armless Finn told the story and made Breezy all the more special. The season JUST started and were due for this next episode to be impact full in some way, I just don't buy that Adventure Time can get away with story lines about child abuse and dismemberment and then be forced to Cow-Tow to their corporate masters over toys.

I know I'm just a huge fan boy at heart, and I can see the rationale behind wanting Finn's changes to be drawn out but we had about a year of Finn being a dingus to girls, why would another year of Finn without his arm fair better? He learned/grew more in the episodes between this season opener and now then arguably all of last season.

Keeping Jake out of the storyline forever with dad responsibilities would have sucked, making more than one or two episodes about crazy Simon would have been too sad, Peebles being too young brought us the start of arguably the most complete story arc so far... I think the AT crew wisely redirected the show from these grim subjects.

Amputation is intense and hard and sad. Dealing with that and paranoid anxiety and abandonment at the same the was probably the lowest point in Finn's life. Regrowing the arm is a strong symbol for the viewers that Finn is finally back on track.

I guess my point is that Finn getting his arm back completes the arc that started when FP dumped him over a year ago, not just getting it torn off by his uncaring father a month ago. To me this had already been drawn out.

You're right, those changes would all impact the tone of the show in a weird way if they were permanent. That's where the network steps in, though. It's not just about merchandise, it's about keeping the show profitable. That means avoiding big risks that might alienate the audience. It's one thing to do weird one-off episodes where Jake's tail joins a circus, but if the AT crew wanted to devote an entire season to it, the network would probably start rejecting their episode pitches. The AT crew has done a good job writing their story arcs around the idea that the status quo will be restored eventually, and the show is probably better for it, but it's still a fact that Finn was never going to get a permanent robot arm, and any future "big changes" will eventually be reverted to normal as well.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 1, 2014

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

TheFattestPat posted:

It's neat to see that without the crown on, Ice King reverts back to the personality he had as Simon. A very caring individual who wants everyone to be happy. It was sweet to see a group of people go on a journey and bond so tightly they discover that the best thing in life is having close friends. One could say that for these wizards, friendship is magic :troll:

I dunno he kinda took Guiseppe's apples and then abandoned him. Someone could have jumped off the bus, grabbed him, and come back.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

No poo poo.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

I love both shows and I'm glad that at least one of them is generally showing new episodes at any given time.

I think I'll miss SU more when it goes on hiatus, though. But that's partly because I have a lot more unanswered questions there.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

MariusLecter posted:

The best episode that redeems Steven as a character is Joking Victim.

Yeah, I think Steven didn't stop being a little grating until the last couple of episodes. Joking Victim is really good.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

XboxPants posted:

If we're talking action, especially sci-fi or fantasy action, there's no shortage of non-comedy shows like that, they've been around for a long time - Gargoyles, Batman: TAS,

Those shows are 20 years old, though. They don't make shows like that anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Pick posted:

That's about all it does any more, is depressing unnecessary slogs from artists mad at their parents.

Adventure Time should be children's entertainment, oriented at the needs and yes, to some extent, the wants of those children. I can't imagine a child enjoying "Evergreen". We even have an upset child striking a small animal for no reason. Episodes like this are for adult fans to the exclusion of children. Adults have our own entertainment; it's wrong to take it away from kids. We know that they can strike a good balance--Holly Jolly Secrets and I Remember You are some of the best episodes of the series. But it was a balance.

I don't think Adventure Time is aimed at the kind of children you're thinking of. It's more oriented toward teens and slightly older viewers, which is why the merchandise presence is a lot bigger in Hot Topic than Toys R Us. They're going for Doctor Who fans, not Power Rangers fans.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

• Locked thread