Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I'd like to go on record guessing that Jozy Altidore scores one more goal than Nicklas 'B52' Bendtner in the Premier League this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Scuffs are clearly the best goals. Like that time Paul Scholes completely whiffed a volley against City (I think it was?) and scored with his standing leg somehow.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Mash posted:

I'd like to go on record guessing that Jozy Altidore scores one more goal than Nicklas 'B52' Bendtner in the Premier League this season

I guess I forgot to account for the Wenger-factor when I made this prediction..

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

All Of The Dicks posted:

Jozy Altidore will score more Premier League goals than Andy Carroll

Jota posted:

Fabio Borini will score MORE goals than Jozy

How many more goals, dickheads? If you're gonna rip off my prediction format at least have the balls to be accurate like I was.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

But will you be the one to take the time to tell him that at his Google+ event on Wednesday Flaps? Someone has to, surely.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Something divided by zero isn't infinite you shitlords

Jozy could math better than you

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Spangly A posted:

Posting about limits is posting without limits, and Jozy tends to be extremely limited. As Jozy approaches goal, he approaches infinite shitness, before becoming indefinable. His ability cannot be rationally expressed. Jozy IS divide by zero. The Jozy Equation: One simple formula, discovered by a forum, that Soccernomicists don't want you to know about!!

is this more to your taste?

I think we're getting there, yeah. Jozy is so bad his shitness is off-the-charts indefinable.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Mash posted:

I feel like this prediction could still go places, but I'm gonna need Jozy to find a single goal somewhere.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

My guess that Jozy would score 1 more goal than B52 is looking half on track. I say half because ol' B52 is doing his job of not scoring more than Jozy just fine, but The Josmer needs to fluke on in somehow or I'm in the red

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

The Mash posted:

welp

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

80085 posted:

Now that Jozy is guaranteed to score against Germany and Portugal he should break the transfer record when Manchester United buy him after the world cup

Do you think he can play in midfield ? :smith:

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Imagine the US national team with Subotic and Rossi in there

Yeah that's some good stuff. Too bad about the other 8 players.

(I rate Bradley a lot)

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I think it amuses me even more that he scored a single goal against Chelsea by skinning John Terry than if he hadn't scored at all so far

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I would like to point out that Jozy received 0% of the red cards received by his team today, which is the best possible number you can have on that particular statistic. When determining how much Jozy offers to the team, I feel we must look outside the conventional stats like "goals" and "assists".

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Personally I'd like to see a modern take on the classic body-switch comedy starring Lionel Messi and Jozy Altidore.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I would like to humbly suggest that the most recent Jozyface be replaced by a christmas version, even Jozy should know someone cares about him this time of year

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Should Jozy's lone Premier League goal count double or triple since it was against Chelsea?

If you start down that road I think it's important to remember he skinned Terry for it too

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Jozy is anything but unremarkable

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

euroboy posted:

IIRC someone said earlier that he would outscore Nicklas Bendtner this season, but that doesn't seem likely tbh. Even he has managed to get two league goals despite barely playing.

Yeah my Altibet was him getting 1 more than B52, which unfortunately is the opposite of the standings right now. I didn't expect B52 to get this much playtime or Jozy to be THIS bad

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Eboracum posted:

I actually want this regardless.

Therefore I predict Jozy will score All The Goals :smug:

I think you'll find he's already scored All The Goals...

..he will score in Europe for the remainder of his career

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I heard Jozy failed to clear a corner and contributed to Hull's first goal?

He contributed to one Hull goal during his previous season in the league too so I'm glad to see he's back on track in that respect

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Red Star Baldgreg posted:

Actually it's 2 goals in 53 Premier League matches

That's not bad for a defender to be fair. 26.5 games per goal, not far off John O'Sheas 25.6 games per goal for United

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Stephan Sharp ‏@StephanSharp 4m
Here's hoping City beat Sunderland by at least 3 goals since they dropped Jozy.

The Twelfth Yank ‏@twelfthyank 7m
No Jozy for Sunderland period. Not in 18. For a Cup final. Ok then. #USMNT

Paul Sarahs ‏@PaulSarahs 12m
Where's Jozy?

Men in Blazers ‏@MenInBlazers 22m
You can do it Jozy. You can do it. Love America

Brian Sciaretta ‏@BrianSciaretta 1m
Bummer for #USMNT fans as Jozy Altidore is not in the 18 for Sunderland in today's League Cup final vs Manchester City

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Chris Chambers ADI ‏@CChambersSoM 35s
Not quite the side I imagined, but here goes!

Altidore not even in the squad...

Paul Freelend ‏@PaulFreelend 51s
MT @BrianSciaretta Altidore not in 18 for Sunderland in today's League Cup final v Manchester City | Thus endeth my interest in the game.

Jeremy ‏@jstanly11 1m
“@GrantWahl: Jozy Altidore not in the 18 for Sunderland in League Cup final vs Man City.” Clearly resting him for #USMNT #ridiculous

Real Pantherchap ‏@Pantherchap2 1m
@AlexiLalas Altidore doesn't even make Cap One Final squad. Ugh.

laura d ‏@laurajanew1984 36s
altidore not on the bench??

Matthew Kanterman ‏@theKanterman 39s
@beINSPORTSUSA Altidore dropped is interesting. He would be a good option to have on the bench as a sub to win balls late in game.

beIN SPORTS ‏@beINSPORTSUSA 34s
First off - NO JOZY ALTIDORE on the team sheet for @SAFCofficial - surprised?? #beINCapitalOne #JSL

SamFarnan ‏@SamFarnan14 23s
Altidore would probably be better to equal Kompany's strength, at least play him beside Borini

Chris Pollack ‏@Chris_Pollack 1m
No Jozy? Hope Sunderland get killed now

Men in Blazers ‏@MenInBlazers 1m
@PaulSarahs @Alvarez truly great players go by one name: Puskas. Garrincha. Eusebio. Pele. Messi. Jozy

24x7soccer ‏@24x7soccerus 2m
No Jozy in the 18 for Sunderland. Must mean people don't respect Americans in Europe - not that he's scored one goal all season.

frank ‏@PaddyTomlinson1 4m
Where's jozy??

Andrew Phillips ‏@Pud__ 10s
Most unhappy man this afternoon Jozy Altidore dont get me wrong he is crap but deserves to be in the squad over scocco

David O'Reilly ‏@tackleberry11 1m
Altidore is not in the Sunderland squad even! i just now will give them a chance in this one!

Avenot ‏@MariaErrington 1m
What? No Altidore! Oh man!

Jacob Gibson ‏@jaygibson39 1m
Altidore got that fresh fade then didnt even make bench #headloss 😩

Daniel Smith ‏@DanielSmith1022 2m
No Altidore today in a cup final when he scored the winner in last year's Dutch cup final.

Alex Dismore ‏@Dizzydismore 2m
Altidore's not even on the bench!? Harsh. And pretty sure that's not how we're lining up @SkySports

Adam Hopkins ‏@AW23Hopkins 32s
Altidore to win it off the bench #SAFC #DareToDream #ComethTheHour #ComethTheAltidore

jMac ‏@indiemerchant 2m
“@GrantWahl: Jozy Altidore not in the 18 for Sunderland in League Cup final vs Man City.” @pachyderm63 not cool!

Matt Hartley ‏@Libero_Or_Death 18s
#Jozy dropped against Kompany and Demichelis sounds like a tactical decision. His strength would be negated against that pair.

Eric J. Walcott ‏@ericwalcott 1m
*Wakes up, checks Sunderland lineup.* No Jozy.
*Goes back to bed.*

Matthew ‏@ChelseaMatt33 3m
@KICKTV @SAFCofficial if Jozy's not playing I really don't care

WrongSideOfThePond ‏@wrongsideofpond 2m
To my knowledge, Jozy is fit. So the #USMNT striker being left out of the match day squad for a cup final is very concerning. #safc

Demps ‏@MariooTX 6m
drat jozy, smh.

Andrew Coulson ‏@andrewecoulson 7m
Altidore out! Well that's $2 down the drain. I had him first to score at 13-1. #daretodream #hawaythelads

e: Not pictured, a bunch of actual SAFC fans rejoicing at not throwing the game in advance

The Mash fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 2, 2014

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

tbp posted:

Can someone update that chart by copy and pasting the 0 goals face over all the current games sinc ei've forgotten to do it

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

not not luvd posted:

http://www.futhead.com/14/players/4168/jozy-altidore/

lmao at the comments

Fun fact: when he was 5 years old he had to play with 8 year olds because his shot was too powerful for the other 5 year olds

I know we're not making this joke anymore but

Lowest bin indeed Jozy

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

That is in fairness a real bad pass

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Ho Chi Meeeeee posted:

Reminder that this was written about a 24 year old:

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thescoutsnotebook/id/984?cc=5901

nevermind it appears to have been deleted..

quote:

England hasn't been kind to Jozy Altidore.

In his second stint in the Premier League, the U.S. international has exactly one goal in 18 appearances for Sunderland. This comes after a season where Altidore dominated in Holland, scoring 31 goals in all competitions for AZ Alkmaar. It was thought that Altidore made huge strides since his initial stint in the Prem, where he scored only one goal in 28 games for Hull, but so far the results suggest otherwise.

If Altidore doesn't improve his tally in 2014, he may have to search for his eighth team in eight years. But are the 24-year-old's performances completely his fault?

Similar to the situation at Hull, Sunderland finds itself in a relegation battle, currently sitting in 19th place with 18 points in 21 matches. Altidore hasn't had the chances that a striker on a decent or good team gets and is struggling to find a rhythm in the Black Cats' inconsistent offense. And that could be behind some of his missed sitters that have many shaking their heads.

To get an assessment of Altidore's performances so far, ESPN FC reached out to a scout who is currently employed by a Champions League club in one of Europe's top leagues (England, Italy or France). The scout was willing to submit an honest evaluation of Altidore as long as his identity wasn't revealed due to potential club tampering issues.

Here is his evaluation of Altidore:

Ian Horrocks/Getty Images
Jozy Altidore hasn't found his scoring touch at Sunderland.
Strengths:

Altidore proved last season that he is more than capable of scoring goals at a high level. His 23 goals in the Eredivisie in his final year at AZ helped take his career to the next level and earned him a move back to the Premier League with Sunderland.

Those familiar with the American will know his physical attributes must be mentioned when discussing his strengths. He's fast, strong, agile and powerful. Despite being gifted naturally physically, he struggled a bit with the physical aspect of the Premier League during his first stint in England at Hull City. However, he's learned how to use his body much better over the past four years. He will always give defenders that difficult physical aspect of the game to think about.

Despite his lack of goals this season in England, he's actually become a much better finisher over the past couple of years. U.S. national team fans will have noticed a difference, especially in the latter portion of last year, where Altidore was getting himself in better positions and putting opportunities that he may have missed in years past away. He's become much calmer in the final third when given the ball in goal-scoring areas.

Tactically, he's become better at playing in various systems and has shown he is capable of playing alongside another striker in a 4-4-2 or on his own in a 4-5-1.

Weaknesses:

Technically speaking, Altidore sometimes struggles when the game gets very quick and he's forced to play in tight areas. His first touch, especially when his back is to goal, leaves a bit to be desired and can often lead to frustration from himself as well as his teammates who look to their target man to hold up the ball.

Though Sunderland have a handful of issues that need addressing this year, Altidore hasn't done enough off the ball to cause enough of a threat, either. Some will argue that he hasn't received the service a striker needs in order to be at his best, which is certainly valid at times, but in the Premier League, Altidore now finds himself against much more intelligent defenders who are able to read him easier than those in Holland. He needs to do a better job of creating chances for himself.

That inability stems from a slight lack of awareness and intelligence at times of where he needs to be and when he needs to be there. He managed in Holland and has shown with the U.S. that he is capable of scoring regularly, but the Premier League is an animal of its own and he'll have to learn how to fool defenders off the ball before he'll start to see results on it.

Christian Hofer/Getty Images
The jury is still out on whether or not Jozy Altidore's subpar performances at Sunderland will affect his U.S. national team performances.
Why he'll make it:

It isn't a question of whether or not Altidore will make it now. As stated, he dominated the Eredivisie last year and finished last season with 31 goals in all competitions for AZ Alkmaar. He's capable of scoring goals at the professional level, but just how high he can go and be effective is the question.

At 24 years old, he'll want to establish himself as a consistent goal scorer, and the only place he's been able to do that since moving to Europe in 2008 is in Holland. He's also had stints in Spain, Turkey, England but has only enjoyed real success in Holland.

Yes, all players want to challenge themselves and play at the highest level possible, but he was certainly doing himself and his club teammates much more justice playing at a level below the Premier League in Holland last season.

Maybe he should've considered joining a contending team in a league slightly below England, like a Ligue 1 or the Bundesliga. That being said, managers will always take a chance on a player who has such exceptional physical qualities as Altidore. I'm sure he'll get back to his scoring ways soon enough, but I don't think it'll be at Sunderland.

Why he won’t make it:

Like many players who earn a bit of notoriety at a young age, Altidore will have to be mentally strong to continue to want to improve and seek out the next challenge. At 24, he's nearly spent six years abroad already and played for seven teams including the New York Red Bulls in Major League Soccer, where he got his start.

Can he overcome the ups and downs of the life of a footballer and in particular that of a striker? How he reacts to the first half of this season will be vital.

Alex Livesey/FIFA/Getty Images
Similar playing style: Emile Heskey

Heskey was never a particularly prolific goal scorer in the Premier League, but he did a job and was able to do it well. Like Altidore, Heskey, who now plays in Australia, was a strong and powerful frontman during his time in England.

He was able to bring others into play -- something Altidore has shown he is capable of doing (think Sunderland versus Newcastle) but needs to do more of -- and always gave defenders a difficult time just because of his work ethic and sheer size.

Heskey was able to score goals of all types, demonstrating his incredible power but also a bit of poise. Altidore has shown he is capable of powering through defenses as if they aren't there, but he has also shown that he has the delicate ability to curl a free kick over a stranded wall.

Rate this out of 5 for each:

Dribbling: 3
Finishing: 3
First touch: 3
Passing and vision: 3
Speed: 4
Aerial ability: 5
Strength: 5
Injury: 3 (where 1 means he gets injured a lot and 5 means he's always fit)
Maturity: 3
Defense (marking, tackling): 4
Score: 36 out of 50

Potential score: 37

Ratings meter:
0-10: Not even NASL level
10-15: Average NASL player
15-20: MLS role player
20-25: MLS starter
25-30: MLS All-Star
30-35: Starter on mid-, low-table EPL side or role player on top team
35-40: A solid starter on a top EPL club
40-45: A legit star player
45-50: Messi, Ronaldo

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

And here's the chart

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

36 out of 50

They're delusional OP

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

When did you become a jozy knocker?

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it ok

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

St Evan Echoes posted:

It will be somewhere between £10.50 and £11M, I agree

*quietly withdraws offer of £5.50*

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

He's literally a better actor than he is a footballer

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

chart updated

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Out crashes an eating Jozy Altidore

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

vaginal culture posted:

Did he get atrophy for this

Welp post of the month and it's only the 1st

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Altidore will be in beast mode tonight

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

It's probably because it gets abbreviated to that on FIFA or something.

"herb blerp i wanna play as joby allamore" - a dumb american

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

He deffinatley belongs in the lowest bin

I think you'll find, if you go back in the thread, that I already made this joke. Like a real Jozy Altidore, you're trying to take credit without putting in the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

For comparison, Rooney has 15 Finishing in FM2013 and Daniel Sturridge has 14 in FM2014.

• Locked thread