Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Hey. Hey guess what guys? Guess what? There's a brand new lockbox to waste money on! I know I'm excited. You can get a deer or a spider or a box with crap armor or a box with crap enchantments! Can't wait.

(Seriously though I am getting a tiny bit excited about this release even despite myself)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimpanzee
Jan 11, 2011

Hammerstein posted:

I still log in daily to do my prayers and set some crafting, but I haven't done dungeons in months. I hope Module 1 brings some goons back, I still prefer the combat in this over any other mmorpg.

I haven't played an mmo since Diablo III, which I pretty much hated. I love the combat in this game though. It feels really dynamic and fun. I rolled a CW and chain CC'ing stuff is super satisfying in both PvE and PvP. The shifting around makes playing a squishy class much less frustrating, like it requires better timing and resource management but does away with falling prey to some annoying slow mechanic just ruining your day. Plus it lets you use the environment to a great advantage but still without breaking the game like Oblivion or something. I wish more people were on though, PvP could be a blast with a coordinated effort.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Should I save up my Celestial coins for 7 days and use them on that Ward/Enchantment pack?

Because from the descriptions, the Blessed Professions pack you get for five seems way more likely to give me something awesome I can't otherwise get without spending money.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
I used to think that, but after buying a few Profession packs and getting nothing but Residuum and a few green crafting items, which I get plenty of in dungeons/foundrys anyway, that it would at least be worth the slim chance of pulling a Coalescent Ward out. At the very least, the Preservation Ward helps you get those high rank enchants a little quicker, pretty easy to farm to rank 7 without having to resort to more drastic measures.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
So the dev blog is promising a new class and paragon paths for existing classes by "the end of the year". Yay! They already spilled the beans on the new class (bow ranger) and the one after that (warlock) but it'll be fun seeing how they turn out.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Should I save up my Celestial coins for 7 days and use them on that Ward/Enchantment pack?

Because from the descriptions, the Blessed Professions pack you get for five seems way more likely to give me something awesome I can't otherwise get without spending money.

The day 5 thing goes for like 10k AD on the auction house, while the day 7 thing goes for 20k AD. Basically the only thing of any real value you might get is a coalescent ward, which I'd guess drops around 1/10th of the time. That's actually not too bad, as they're rather pricey.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Well that was funny. New patch launched with a bunch of new content, but also an exploit where people were pulling out dozens of rare mounts in quick succession. Inevitable rollback happening atm, way to go Cryptic.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Oh, so that's why I the server is "unavailable". :shobon:

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
It's not even an exploit, it's a bug that was discovered on the test server. The price of AD dropped to 500 AD per Zen, and the official word for the moment is that they're not doing a rollback.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Dilb posted:

The price of AD dropped to 500 AD per Zen, and the official word for the moment is that they're not doing a rollback.

Dropped to 500? What did it get up to? Two days ago it was ~370!

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
500 is the maximum. It's a little counterintuitive but dropped is the correct term, as in AD has lost enough value that it requires 500 to buy one Zen. It's back to like 370 last time I checked.

So anyway, the new content is some sort of daily quest type deal. Once you've done all the content in a day the quest marker says "Return to Sharandar Tomorrow." Cue tons of confused people asking "Where's Sharandar Tomorrow?" :xd:

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

So I'm curious: Is the Lifesteal (Khelemvor?) companion still essentially a 'game changer' for a GWF to have? I'm kind of considering taking another look at the game and I have my hoard of stupid AD that I never spent. I even have about enough to upgrade it to purple when the time comes.

Additionally are there any fabulous GWF builds for dummies that anyone has to share?

I ask because I tried a foundry quest at 60 and I just got shredded as my GWF. I have a set of not-trash but not superb armor (I think it's pvp tier) and a nice enough sword.

I sort of presume that Clerics are still fairly straightforward to use, and there isn't any 'must have' companion for them.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I've been running the base tank companion on both my rogue and wizard. Should I be running something else? I seem to end up kiting a lot, so anything else would probably get destroyed pretty quickly, wouldn't it?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
Ioun Stone if you have lots of Zen.
Cat if you have lots of AD.
Cleric for everyone else.

Cat might be better than the Ioun Stone for crit specific builds, but the Ioun Stone is awfully good.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
So well. Elves really like pink I guess.

Also I made a drow rogue named Raiden Dirty because I think I'm funny, and boy howdy is trick rogue so much easier to play than any class I've tried so far. :stare:

Edit: oh yeah and there's some sort of bug involving upgrading crafting assets where it'll upgrade stuff that's already in use? I haven't bothered to go look up the details yet.

Semisponge fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 23, 2013

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Semisponge posted:

there's some sort of bug involving upgrading crafting assets where it'll upgrade stuff that's already in use? I haven't bothered to go look up the details yet.

Apparently your profession items will appear as being available while they're being used, and in that case if you use them again they'll disappear permanently.

I'm not sure if it happens every time or just when an item is already in use, so I just stopped doing any profession related stuff altogether.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 23, 2013

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Is the Sylph worth leveling to 30?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Datasmurf posted:

Is the Sylph worth leveling to 30?

Does not look like it. The dazzle might be nice but it's on a 20 second timer and the damage output is pitiful too.

Also who is back in the game with the Module ? I would really love to do the new dungeon, but I don't think that I will ever want to pug in this game again. Are there still enough goons around to do dungeons, or is it time to close shop and look for another guild ?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I'm in the game with the module. The new dailies are easy enough, though I had to use my cleric.
Also upgrading her is drat expensive!

Anyone have any nice builds for the different classes? I need to figure out how to spec my rogue, my cleric, my gwf, my gf and my wizard, in the hopes that I can do stuff again.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Does playing this game make anyone else want to play Dungeons and Dragons online? :smith: it had so much more effort and care put into it.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I never really got the hang of DDO, I like NWO much better.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just liked dungeons being actual dungeons, along with all the cool poo poo rogues could do with traps and such. :(

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
The forums are your best resource for class builds.

Also super late response to that guy asking about GWF builds, that is my favorite class and I can say with great confidence that almost all of its power comes from gear, so get ready to grind your face off to get two pieces of Vigilant Warlord and two pieces of Avatar of War plus the Ancient Castle Greatsword. Or try to get whatever the stuff from the new module is, which iirc is also pretty good. In terms of feats I've tried both Sentinel and Destroyer and prefer Destroyer now that I've got the best gear and tank just fine without devoting feats to it. The nice thing about GWF is it's very versatile, with almost every encounter power having its uses. Really I would recommend reading builds for all three. It took me a long time and a lot of experimenting (and some balance patches) to get a good feel for how GWF works but now I don't like playing anything else.

Grandma's the best

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Yeah, I ended up going there to find some.

Feels weird going to official game forums filled with pubbies to find good builds, but what have you. This game is strange …

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Speaking of the forums,

quote:

Known Issues - Please look here for updates!
Hey all,

We're working on a number of known issues, and will post here with updates as they're available.

Known issue: Buyout price sorting may not be working correctly in the Auction House

Known issue: Profession Assets may be deleted after Profession tasks are completed

Update: this issue is limited to the "War Games Training" and "Resell Goods at the Bazaar" tasks.

Known issue: In certain locations, NPCs and other objects may disappear and reappear unexpectedly, appearing (or rather, not appearing) invisible or flickering

Known issue: Some players are seeing frequent client crashes

Update: If you're seeing an "Out of Memory" crash, please try changing your graphics settings to DX11/Dx9Ex, instead of DX9

Known issue: Foundry editing and reviewing are down

Update: we're bringing the Foundry editor back up, and have identified an issue where teleporters in Foundry quests have unexpectedly moved.

Authors do not need to fix their locations - an upcoming fix will move them back to their original position (teleporters placed at the moment may also move).

For this reason, we're keeping reviews disabled for the moment, to ensure that authors' quests with teleporters in them don't receive bad reviews due to a bug. Once we've fixed the issue, we'll republish those quests and re-enable reviews.

Please note that this is not a complete list of the bugs that we're working on - only the ones that are most widespread.

Thank you!

Not included in this list: sometimes Unstoppable will end prematurely, the most likely cause being when the temp HP is consumed. Makes pvp quite a bit more difficult...

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Does playing this game make anyone else want to play Dungeons and Dragons online? :smith: it had so much more effort and care put into it.
I'm back playing NW because the girlfriend likes the gameplay and it's more casual, but yeah, it does nothing but make me ache to go back to DDO. Not only is it a much more authentic D&D experience but the world feels so much more immersive (despite looking pretty dated), the dungeons are exciting and complex (like that one quest that involves the helix of tunnels that has you running all over to start the reactors), and it just plain feels more fun. Hey, they just had an expansion release too, maybe to coincide with the Feywild expansion. Welp...

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I've tried the new crafting skill, Artificing. But it just seems weird to me that residuum is required for anything but the most basic gathering tasks. The last time I used residuum, it was to craft some purple chain shirt and pants for my devoted cleric. So Artificing hardly seems worth it at low level.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
"Goon guilds are Something Lawful, Chaotic Goon, and THAC0 Bell The Terrible Secret of Neverwinter on MINDFLAYER . While the active players only use the one guild, feel free to type /channel_join dndgoons and chatter in there. Maybe we'll even get enough people to resurrect SL"

This is why I get disillusioned by all these MMO's lately. It's been what, two months? We went from 3 guilds to 1 that fast? How many goons still actively play?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I've been coming back to the game after the module hit at least, usually log on around 11 PM GMT+1 (or is it +2 when it's DST?) and play for an hour or two. Still one of the few originals left in Something Lawful.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.

bear is driving! posted:

This is why I get disillusioned by all these MMO's lately. It's been what, two months? We went from 3 guilds to 1 that fast? How many goons still actively play?
I don't want to start a pointless MMO argument but I think that says more about the current state of MMO's (or at least the trend of releasing them too early) than it does about goon attention spans.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I could never get into DDO quite like NWO but I do like Wizardry Online. It kinda plays the same as DDO and is very difficult if you dont mind an SOE title :p

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Is there any fun to be had in this game flying solo (like, say, GW2), or do you need to be grouped up to make anything interesting happen?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Well for reaching the level cap, I did it solo, but there is group content now in the end game.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
With the exception of the new dailies, all "end game" content is group only, technically.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had fun soloing and finding the occasional person to party up with on my own.

Getting to the level cap was enough of a draw for me to keep playing, and I was able to get purple gear with all the astral diamonds I'd collected, but now the content is basically dungeons, skirmishes for AD and foundry content.

I've simply got too many other games on Steam that I want to play, and I don't have much time to play them each week so I'm stepping away from this for the time being.

I think it's a good enough endorsement to say that I got 40+ hours of entertainment out of this game, and it didn't cost me anything other than the time I spent playing.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm not much of a MMO player, honestly, so I could barely care less about end game content. If just reaching the level cap is some fun and viable solo, that's good enough for me.

Hell, I probably wouldn't be looking into this at all if it weren't for the absolute loving dearth of fourth edition D&D video games otherwise. :smith:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

MMAgCh posted:

Hell, I probably wouldn't be looking into this at all if it weren't for the absolute loving dearth of fourth edition D&D video games otherwise. :smith:

Now I'm depressed again. :negative:
Seriously, if they made a Tactics RPG with 4e, I'd sink so many hours into it.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
There's that new Might & Magic game you might want to have a look at.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

MMAgCh posted:

I'm not much of a MMO player, honestly, so I could barely care less about end game content. If just reaching the level cap is some fun and viable solo, that's good enough for me.

It felt much less like an MMO, and more like an action RPG in a D&D setting. Since you get a companion character early on, solo-ing everything is definitely possible. Though I ended up hitting level cap before I completed the "main" story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Aramek posted:

Now I'm depressed again. :negative:
Seriously, if they made a Tactics RPG with 4e, I'd sink so many hours into it.
Tell me about it. The system is so well suited to something like a tactical CRPG and we get...one game using it? (I'm not even counting Daggerdale here because apparently it was pretty awful.) :sigh:

Daler Mehndi posted:

It felt much less like an MMO, and more like an action RPG in a D&D setting. Since you get a companion character early on, solo-ing everything is definitely possible. Though I ended up hitting level cap before I completed the "main" story.
Sounds good. I'll give it a shot as soon as their Arc downloader client thing gets unfucked. :rolleye:

• Locked thread