Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
If you're gonna go crafting, it's worth sinking the AD into buying 4 Mithral tools to start with in your chosen crafting style. Expensive? Sure, but they will pay for themselves with all the items you can produce with them. This also allows you to open the last two crafting slots most people unlock (100% speed, and L3 Crafting result) for even more you can produce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

I used to think that, but after buying a few Profession packs and getting nothing but Residuum and a few green crafting items, which I get plenty of in dungeons/foundrys anyway, that it would at least be worth the slim chance of pulling a Coalescent Ward out. At the very least, the Preservation Ward helps you get those high rank enchants a little quicker, pretty easy to farm to rank 7 without having to resort to more drastic measures.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Well that was funny. New patch launched with a bunch of new content, but also an exploit where people were pulling out dozens of rare mounts in quick succession. Inevitable rollback happening atm, way to go Cryptic.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

You get sparks from collecting 3 Feydark Crystals, and going to the pool in the first area, then speaking to the NPC nearby. You also get 50 for clearing the Arcane Sanctuary, and 10 (+10 Crescents) for exchanging Illefarn Relic Fragments from lockboxes.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

So, scammers are still a thing in Neverwinter, but one of the more pathetic ones was on today. Was raising my HR around Blackdagger area, and noticed a guy trying to sell the keys from Cragmire Crypts. Now, if you don't know, they were from a quest that was never implemented, but they still drop in the dungeon for some reason. Anyway, I do my best to warn people, but he managed to sell them anyway, think he got like 10 gold a key. Passed on a note to the GMs. Username was paulwalker@fastnthedead, if you see him around.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

On the surface, it looks to have the exact same items you can get with the Adamantine Gauntlet. I suspect there are different odds for items between the two, but the important thing is you can get multiple Star Metal Gauntlets per day (but one at a time) so farming the chest is somewhat possible if you're willing to pay for keys. So, playing on people's relative impatience, basically.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Does anyone have any tips for taking on the final boss of Epic Dread Vault? I've got there a few times, but never with a team who knows what they are doing to take on the huge brain and his tentacles and super silly number of adds. Here's what I've discovered so far for doing the dungeon part of the run:
Bring a permastealth TR, they can eliminate both of the first two bosses by themselves while everyone else catches up
Throw enemies in a pit. Find the nearest one and drag them there, most of the time it is much faster and easier to do that than DPSing them. Helps having some CWs and a melee fighter with knockback moves.
Take your time, it isn't like a lot of dungeons where you can rush through

The dungeon itself is a pain, but with a bit of patience I can make it through with a solid team. The main problem I find when it comes to the final boss, and getting a good set up for finishing it off. I was thinking a team of 2 CWs, 1 HR, 1 TR and 1 DC - the CWs for add control, HR for damaging the boss from far range, permastealth TR for dealing with the first two bosses and helping with killing the last boss, and DC to keep everyone healthy, but maybe it would help having a GF for crowd control, not sure.

I guess I want to say I've at least done it once, the other dungeons are not much of a challenge these days with a solid team behind you, but DV seems to be entirely dependant on a specific strategy to deal with the huge annoying number of adds.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Semisponge posted:

There's a specific spot you can stand on around the back of the brain. If you stand there the thoon hulks will despawn a few seconds after spawning.

But really DV is not worth it. It's harder than CN for worse rewards.

It's about the only real challenge left, I find, with a competent team I can comfortably deal with everything else. Besides, some of us are crazy and care about things like Achievements and personal challenges. Might not seem worth it to you, but everyone is different. I didn't know about the Thoon Hulk thing, nice info.

So, anyone else with useful tricks for Epic DV final boss?

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

I do wonder what is fundamentally the problem here. I main CW and my main focus in any dungeon run is the adds, it is just ingrained into me now to try and shut them down first before anything else. I think part of the problem is that there's no gameplay design when levelling that encourages that sort of behaviour for the single player CW. I would think there should be some easy way to add a few class specific tutorial missions, say for DC keeping a certain number of NPCs alive for example, doesn't require much other than basic nods towards the end game roles that each class should have a good idea of managing. While I guess I can't expect much for a totally free game, the levelling missions are just kind of there, and the class specifics ones are just flavour rather than trying to teach the player more about their class, they are sort of left to figure it out for themselves or fail miserably, since not everyone are fast learners when it comes to knowing how to behave in dungeon runs. Too often I've seen pug DCs that don't know how to use divinity properly with AS, for example, and I think that sort of thing should have been encouraged a long time ago. There's plenty of tutorials to teach the game mechanics, but not anything to teach the players their class roles.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

I suspect there's very few developers who actually PvP on a regular basis (besides testing things are working, I guess, and that obviously never fails either *cough CW ArPen issues cough*), which is a huge problem. I also have to wonder what the point of the PvP in this game is, other than to appeal to the people that have the twisted mindset that every online game needs one, given the whole basis of the levelling and the end game dungeons are all set towards PvE - AND the real problem with this is that the focus is on trying to constantly tweak things for PvP (which is and always has been barely functional, in my mind) and go back to fix existing issues. I've said it before, but the worrying mentality of the changes to PvP is one that I like to call 'The Opposite Of Power Creep', because that has been the trend the entire time. Entangling Force lasting too long? Reduce it. TRs doing way too much damage? Reduce it almost to the point of uselessness, so that TR is never desired for PvE any more. Split Shot, as a recent example? Nerf that.

I enjoyed the occasional PvP match, but it was never my main focus, always preferred PvE, but since the addition of Tenacity and the changes that go with it, I now question the entire PvP system and whether Tenacity is trying to breath life into an already dead horse that just makes the classes worse and worse, with the effort towards sacrificing fun for 'balance' and failing on either,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Exodor posted:

I must be missing something.

I can buy T2 armor pieces on the AH for ~7200 each. They salvage for 8000.

Is there any reason not to pick them all up and walk the 100 yards over to where you can salvage them?

Sure it's only 800 AD a pop but that's not a bad return for a pretty minimal time investment.

When you have a salvage backlog of 300k AD (not an unreasonable figure, believe it or not), and you need the money sooner, it might be worth taking the loss to get some cash sooner.

• Locked thread