Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Goddammit, I created on Saturday, should have looked for this thread. I'm an idiot, and am on Beholder instead of Mindflayer. :(

So, I'm a crafting whore, and was wondering if there are any high-ROI assets I should be getting around level 30...? "Assets" in the sense of "those things I can equip on my craft-dudes."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Should I save up my Celestial coins for 7 days and use them on that Ward/Enchantment pack?

Because from the descriptions, the Blessed Professions pack you get for five seems way more likely to give me something awesome I can't otherwise get without spending money.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been running the base tank companion on both my rogue and wizard. Should I be running something else? I seem to end up kiting a lot, so anything else would probably get destroyed pretty quickly, wouldn't it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or does the "Leadership" craft ability seem like a euphemism for human trafficking?

I'm "Helping the Needy," which adds refugees to my inventory. I can then "Find Refugees a New Home," which removes them from my inventory, and gives me a bunch of goods and money.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Semisponge posted:

Maxed leadership: there's a level 20 task that gives you 1600 diamonds. 3x1600 = 4800. It takes 12 hours if you have white guys, less if you have the asset pack guys, so roughly 9600 per day. There are other rare tasks which also give 1600 diamonds but they consume resources and aren't always there when I'm crafting.
You can pick up the asset pack guys on the AH for not all that much. Don't buy the greens, though; focus on the blues and purples, because they're much more cost-effective, at least for Leadership. The blues go for, 100,000 and change, and the purples for 400,000 and change. Worthwhile investment, I figure, especially since buying two purples gets you an extra crafting slot (assuming you haven't opened up the "+100% speed" slot yet).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who spends all of his coalescent ward money on buying Leadership dudes to speed up tasks so I can get more diamonds?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I run two characters, and have assigned one to be my potions character, and the other to be my runestones & enchants character.

That has freed up a ton of inventory space.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have the companion that costs 360 daily coins? Like, has Neverwinter been around long enough for that to be possible, yet?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hammerstein posted:

No way that someone can have it by now. I think the game launched around May and I have 178 coins now and I only missed a few dailies.

Well, at least by the time I've saved up for it, we'll know whether or not it's any good.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Are they going to offer free respecs for the new paragon paths, or are you simply going to be stuck paying for it if you want out of what was the only choice at the time?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beelzebub posted:

Is this game even enjoyable? This thread is reading like you all just got back from the dentist.
It's... okay. It's a typical NCSoft game, has a kind of City of Heroes feel to it. The combat can be kind of repetitive, and the classes are poorly-balanced.

Control Wizard is fun, though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Semisponge posted:

I'm still logging in but mostly just to do crafting and rake in huge piles of diamonds because that's what happens when you have three characters with maxed leadership. But yeah I'll check Terrible Secret, but I kind of doubt it needs much purging.

I dunno, I'm kind of over nobody playing. I've always maintained that you should play until it's not fun any more. :kiddo:
The highest-level gear I have on my main is 32, and I just hit 57 yesterday via Leadership. It's good to know that if I ever want to get back into it, it will be easy, though.

Do you run Heroes or Adventurers, Semisponge? I've been trying to figure out if it's worth investing in Heroes for the long-term or not; they're so expensive, it seems like it would take them a long-rear end time to pay for themselves, but since they don't bind, they're an asset rather than an expense (i.e. you can resell them down the line, assuming the bottom doesn't fall out of the market).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
With the changes to wards/enchantments, I wonder if it's still going to be worth it to hold out for the seven-day celestial coin thing instead of the five-day one anymore. It sounds like the new system might devalue coalescent wards significantly...? Or am I mistaken?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to mass-delete in-game messages or mass-retrieve attachments? I'm buying a bunch of stuff, and it takes for-loving-ever.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

So the timers on unlocking new content, after you've already spent a week or more (depending on how often you play) collecting the items needed to do the unlock, are pretty dumb.

I'm fairly certain that I can directly link those timers that say "gently caress you, you are done playing for the day!" to my almost completely not playing this game anymore.

I finally got the final ward done, collected enough sparks to open the next thing up.. bam, come back in 17 hours.

Also, I have no idea what sort of hosed up clock they use for the invocation daily timer, but if I play one day (say on a weekend) in the middle of the day, and then the next day I don't log in until after work, once again "gently caress you, we took the 6 shiny coins you had saved up, start over!".

This is almost completely a browser based leadership game for me now because of these stupid timers.
You have to check in at least every 24 hours for the invocation. So, if you only check in once a day, you are pretty much guaranteed to miss it at some point; I ran into the same issue you did, so now I make a habit of invoking twice a day.

And yeah, it's pretty much a browser-based Leadership game for me, too. That, and recently a bit of playing the auction house; I'mma try to make some crystals off the new expansion changes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dilb posted:

Celestial coins disappear something like 28 hours after you last invoke. You can get away with logging in once a day, but it needs to be at roughly the same time each day.
I would swear that at one point, I went, like, 25 or 26 hours or so, and ended up losing them.

Then again, that could have been changed by now, or I could have just hosed up on what I thought my timing was versus what it actually was.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thank you to whoever mentioned buying up runes/enchantments on the cheap before the patch.

I picked up two stacks of 99 rank 5 enchantments at 1110 apiece, and they're now selling at 4000 apiece.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is it just me, or are the medium barrels where it's at as far as getting crafting poo poo goes?

The triple payout is really amazing on those.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, since I'm actually going to start playing instead of just running leadership, I went ahead and grabbed a couple level 60 items out of the guild bank to replace the level 30 stuff I have now; I'll probably grab a little more, but it doesn't look like we're running low or anything.

In exchange, I deposited 220 potions of healing, and 20 gold.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

Any suggestions on building a wizard? Very casual, me, but I feel pretty awkward in combat (yes I do know about the teleport move) and I'd like to Not Suck to a reasonable degree.

I'm only level 10 at the moment.
The secret is to level up to, like, 18-20ish.

I was regular getting the most damage on dungeon groups and skirmishes at that point (by, like, 100-200%) without having the foggiest loving clue what I was doing.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It looks like the stuff you get out of the 7-Ardent Coin package (the wards and gems, anyway) is now bind on pickup; would it be better to do the professions package, now?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Exodor posted:

Was the summer festival mainly for level 60s?

My highest is 48. I have alt-itis really bad. :sigh:
Run Leadership and do invocations at least once a day on every character.

You'll be to 60 in no time.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Exodor posted:

I stopped playing for months and months and only recently picked it back up but I'm running leadership via the gateway now.

Is there a list anywhere of "must do" quests that have significant rewards? I know there's the early quest to get your second bag, there's the crafting bag drop and I think there's a third 12 slot bag.

My only concern with Leadership Levelling is blowing right by quest rewards that might be useful later on.

When I asked in the Goonchannel, everyone said "as long as you've got the bags, you're good." I picked up the artifact quest, too, but you don't actually need to do any of the other storyline quests to do that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Le Saboteur posted:

Huh according to the Wiki there will be a limited time profession available during this Winter Festival, has that ever happened before?

Yes, during the spring festival.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Virigoth posted:

Has anyone here had any success with making a bunch of leadership lvl 10/11 characters to farm AD for them and transfer it to the main character? If so, I'd like to chat with you about which jobs you think are the best for AD generation.
I have two characters who I basically did this with (I didn't even login to the game other to invoke with them from 30-60). Note that I didn't aim for the best AD generation, but the laziest; I didn't want to have to deal with the auction house at all (and some of the leadership stuff sells decently).

So, from 1-4, if you can sit in front of the computer for long enough, just Feed the Needy (otherwise, Martial Training). Then, do Protect the Caravan until 5 (because gently caress doing Feed the Needy all the way through that), then Explore Local Area. Once you hit 9, do Chart Region until you run out of local maps, then do more Explore Local Area (if you've got more than 3 slots, do them both at the same time). This is going to be what you do until you hit 13.

Once you hit 13, the long slog begins: Patrol the Mines is going to be your go-to from 13-20. Run Protect Diamond Shipments in your additional slots whenever it's available. Otherwise, run War Games Training. Once you hit 16, Fight Off Spellplagued is available for your additional slots if you don't mind slowing down your leveling a bit in exchange for additional goods and AD. This is it for you until 20. Also, once you hit 13, you can sell your District Maps on the AH.

Once you hit 20, I think there are two different ways that you can go: either harvesting pure AD, or harvesting AD plus purple chests. I've started doing a little of column A, a little of column B, picking up Help the Needy when it's available. Otherwise, I run Destroy Enemy Camp constantly; then, Protect the Mines when it's available, or Fight Spellplagued when it's not. Then,

If you're going to go this route, I strongly suggest buying Adventurers. Two adventurers cuts Destroy Enemy Camp and Protect the Mines from 12 hours to 8 hours, and Fight Spellplagued from 6 hours to 4 hours. Sure, they cost 42,000 AD apiece, which takes awhile to make up, but the thing is they're not bound, so you can always turn around and sell them for what you bought them for. I'm currently running 12 adventurers each on two different characters, just started up a third and might pick up six more to run on him.

Anyhow, in summary, my suggestion for the lazy man's AD generation (listed in order of priority):

1-3: Feed the Needy > Guard Duty > Martial Training
4: Protect Caravan > Guard Duty > Martial Training
5-6: Explore Local > Protect Caravan > Martial Training
7-8: Explore Local > Protect Caravan > Tactical Training
9-12: Chart Region > Explore Local > Tactical Training
13-15: Protect Diamond Shipment (R) > Patrol the Mines > War Games Training > Chart Region > Explore Local
16-19: Protect Diamond Shipment (R) > Patrol the Mines > Fight Off Spellplagued > War Games Training (you can switch priority on the last two if you just want to rush 20 as fast as possible)

Two options at 20:

20: Destroy Enemy Camp > Protect Diamond Shipment (R) > Fight Off Spellplagued > Deliver Metals > Patrol the Mines (make sure you maintain at least 3 Mining Claims at all times, so you can Protect Diamond Shipment whenever it comes up).

20: Destroy Enemy Camp > Protect Diamond Shipment (R) > Help the Needy (R) > Build Shelters (R) > [Any Level 20 Rare, Recover Large Mineral Claim is least-time-intensive, but you'll pick up a ton of Region Maps in your chests) > Fight Off Spellplagued > Patrol the Mines (move it up in priority as needed)

The first option gives you more raw AD and a metric fuckton of lower-level crafting materials from the barrels you get doing Fight Off Spellplagued, the second option gives you a bunch of purple chests.

This is just my experience; someone else may know better than me. Also, you should adjust priority on things based upon how long you're going to be away from your computer; do 8- and 12-hour things right before you go to bed over doing another 4-hour thing. I will sometimes do Fight Off Spellplagued or Help the Needy over Destroy Enemy Camp at, like, 7:00 at night, since I know I'll just lose the time from 3am-7am if I do Destroy Enemy Camp and am halfway done with it when I go to sleep.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 13, 2014

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mondian posted:

The best AD/hr for common jobs is Destroy Enemy Camp at 133/hr, but that's a rank 20 job so you'll spend months grinding your characters to there. The next closest are rank 16 Fight Spellplagued (66/hr) and rank 10 Battle Undead (66/hr).

For rare jobs, the only one worth mentioning is Rank 13 "Protect Diamond Shipment" at 133/hr, but it requires a Mining Claim to start.

Its not very lucrative.
It really is not very lucrative, however it has probably the best pay-to-effort ratio in the game, for those of us who are :effort:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Don Tacorleone posted:

Thanatosian's got it all figured out, although I'd disagree with War Games Training, it's kind of wasted time if you don't get something extra. Unless you're unable to check in the Gateway for 8 hours, either Patrolling mines (4 hrs and gives you mining claim) or Collecting Taxes(800ad) is way better. Mining claims are better than another 120xp, at level 18 on it's a loving slog that will sap your soul, so you'll barely notice another 120xp. Even with Heroes on all my slots, leveling from 18-20 took weeks (maybe months?). A bot would've been nice.

Once you get to level 20, the task that gives you 1600ad is probably the best, as mentioned.

The upside to upgrading Leadership first is that once you want to level any other crafting profession you probably have a shitload of materials from opening boxes and barrels. Leadership will take months, but anything else will be way faster.
loving Moneybags, here, with all heroes. :P

Mining claims are absolutely better than another 120xp, but you can only run three at a time. I really don't think there's anything better from that 13-15 stretch; I'd say the AD and barrels you get from Fight Off Spellplagued are better once you hit 16, it's just nice to speed your way to 16.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also, they do put things on sale every week. I'm waiting for the Ioun Stones to go on sale again before I buy one, and probably the armored bear, too.

Do any of the companions show up on every character, or is that a mount-only thing?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

redhalo posted:

Is it advisable to upgrade my companions along the way or save my AD till end game?

The only really worthwhile companions in the endgame are the Ioun Stones and the Cat. The blue Ioun Stone goes for about 445,000 AD when it's not on sale (depending upon AD/Zen prices); upgrading a companion from green to blue costs 500,000 AD.

The cat costs 833,000 AD, but given that it isn't a huge improvement over the ioun stone (arguably not an improvement at all), it's mostly a vanity item.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Interociter posted:

The mass ones are also cheaper in terms of resources, which can be sort of nice. I wonder how they'd do if they made gateway professions only available if you bought a key a month or something, and then actually made them comfortable to use.

But for all my bitching about the gateway, I will say that I want that programmer let loose on the in-game AH and mail and professions UI, at the least.

EDIT: the latest patch actually made the default AH sort be buyout-ascending, which has to reduce the load on their AH server by a factor of 3, in addition to being nicer to use. Between that and enter-to-pick-ok on dialogs, it's like they're starting to pay attention to this stuff!
Gee, you mean cutting down your sorts from having to sort three times to only having to sort once has cut their load by 2/3rds? Who would've thought?!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Exodor posted:

Got this up and running today and it's the greatest thing ever.

I did edit the Leadership tasks list a bit, from this:

["Patrol the Mines","War Games Training","Protect Caravan","Chart Region","Explore Local Area","Train a Guard","Battle Undead","Hire a Mercenary"]

to:

["Battle Undead","Patrol the Mines","War Games Training","Protect Caravan","Chart Region","Explore Local Area","Train a Guard","Hire a Mercenary"],

Was War Games Training prioritized just to get to level 20 as quickly as possible? And Patrol the Mines was first to gather mining claims to sell on the AH or to use with the rare task?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Patrol Mines/War Games Training are the fastest ways to gain experience. Patrol Mines has the added benefit of giving you mining claims for the rare task, too, which is the second-most efficient way of gaining AD (right after Destroy Enemy Camp).

You should run Patrol Mines until at least level 16; at that point, if you really want to switch to an AD-gaining task, go with Fight Off Spellplagued instead, which is waaaaaayyyy better than Battle Undead; however, since Patrol Mines' biggest advantage is that it's an efficient leveller for Leadership, I'd strongly recommend prioritizing it all the way to 20, so that once you are 20, you don't have to run it (or the twelve-hour task that gives you two claims) until you've run a metric ton of Protect Diamond Shipment.

You should unquestionably prioritize Patrol Mines over War Games Training, though, as they both give the same amount of XP/hour, and Patrol Mines comes with other stuff.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there any reason not to burn my rank 1-3 enchantments and runestones ranking up my artifact?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Good; I bought a metric fuckton of low-rank runestones on the cheap before the changeover, then sold two stacks of rank 5s post-changeover for twice what I spent on everything put together (I've still got another stack of rank 5s).

Already got my artifact up to blue on just 1s and 2s; gonna do 3s next. Are the 4s worth ranking up to 5, or should I just buy those, and burn the 4s into other enchantments/artifacts, too?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have probably run the CTA 50 times (I figure average 30 tokens a run, and I've gotten 1500 tokens)... and have yet to get a Swashbuckler.

I'm positive that the moment I buy one, I'll get one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been running dailies in Dread Fort in an effort to save up enough to upgrade my gauntlet, and yesterday discovered that Thayan Relic Fragments sell on the AH for 3,500 AD.

I bought enough to upgrade to Mithral and will probably buy a bunch more once that's done to hit Adamantine. It's saving me at least a couple of weeks of grinding at a pretty low cost, may as well maximize my chances at getting the good poo poo now.

Also, if you're 60 and haven't been doing Gauntlgrym runs with Goons, I strongly suggest you change that. They're quite a bit of fun, and not too difficult; plus, you're at least guaranteed to get some Gauntlgrym coins (which are tradeable for T2 gear) and marks (marks of the Drake if you do the higher-end one).

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Goofballs posted:

I don't know what drops HR damage but guys with significantly better gear do half the damage of wizards and gwfs in the high end content

In other news the botter price war continues, a stack of 99 rank 5s is down to 118k.

edit 116k
This is actually pretty close to their pre-refinement-change levels. If they didn't change the drop rate, that's not entirely surprising, and they may not climb back up again.

I did just dump a whole bunch of AD into Zen, which was down in the 330ish range today; I'm hoping it shoots back up when they announce the new sales, and I'm guessing it will if they put some good stuff on sale (like bags of holding).

Also, I picked up the epic horse, as suggested earlier (cheapest epic mount, and on sale right now); it has massively improved my gameplay experience. Goddamn, such a huge difference from the base mount.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ratzap posted:

My cleric got to 60 doing leadership yesterday. Is there decent gear worth buying for gold in the game? My rags are L22 to L26 but the leadership stuff has left me with 135 gold. Or is that not going to buy anything and I need to go poo poo up dungeons for gear?\
You need to go poo poo up dungeons for gear.

Gold is mostly useful for injury kits, healing potions, crafting supplies, and a bit for doing the campaigns (Dread Fort/Sharandar), which you should start doing the dailies for now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Knight2m posted:

I just started playing this a few weekends ago. Is it worth it to try to sell green items on the auction house? Most of the ones I've come across that are level 25 and less don't seem to sell for very much. Do they ever become worthwhile or is the level progression too fast for greens to be worth it?
Most blues are barely worth selling on the AH, in my experience, to say nothing of the greens.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Start doing the quick resource-processing crafting activities. They can burn through quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WebDO posted:

About to hit LS 20 on DM. If I want to maximize my passive AD earnings and occasionally acquire some purple chests, is this how I want to set the script up? The general idea is to take advantage of the rare tasks when they pop, and farm mining claims and refugees as needed with the guaranteed AD of Destroy Enemy Camp if all else fails.

I probably need to reorder this a bit more to get it to behave the way I want it to, don't I?

code:
20:["Protect Diamond Shipment","Deliver Metals","Patrol the Mines","Recover Large Mineral Claim","Build Shelters","Rescue Prisoners","Destroy Enemy Camp"],
Deliver Metals is suboptimal unless you want gold to go with your AD.

In 60 hours (unmodified hours) of Deliver Metals (assuming you do three Patrol Mines and one Recover Metals three times) you'll pull 150 silver and 3600 AD; in 60 hours of Fight Off Spellplagued you'll pull 100 silver and 4000 AD, as well as ten Barrels of Goods. Note that when you look at what the Barrel contains, it contains *THREE* of the items on that list, not just one. They are pretty great.

Unless you want liquid money, Destroy Enemy Camp is superior to Protect Diamond Shipment; you get a blue chest with it, and you can always do it. IMO, you should never be running Protect Diamond Shipment unless you're already running three Destroy Enemy Camps.

Put Help the Needy in there above (or instead of) Rescue Prisoners; the only differences between the two are that Rescue Prisoners gives you 400 experience instead of 125 (which I'm assuming you don't need, since 20 Leadership takes way longer to get than level 60), Rescue Prisoners takes 8 hours instead of 6, and Help the Needy is rare instead of common.

When you're opening these boxes, you're going to be pulling some mining claims out of them, so if you're already sitting on a couple hundred (which you probably are if you leveled to 20 using Patrol the Mines like you should have), you should de-prioritize Patrol the Mines, unless you decide to stick with Deliver Metals, in which case you'll chew through them pretty quickly.

Purple chests are a pain in the rear end. Assuming you only take advantage of the most efficient rare tasks to get refugees (Help The Needy, which is slow going because it's rare), you're looking at 144 hours to pull 4 of them and 1600 AD, or 36 hours for a purple chest and 400 AD; using Destroy Enemy Camp, you pull 1600 AD and a blue chest in 12 hours, taking a third of the time with four times as much passive AD. Generally speaking, I'd almost always rather have 3 blues than 1 purple, especially when it comes with twelve times as much passive AD. Of course, if you don't take your time about it and want a steady stream, then you need to run Rescue Prisoners instead, which means 174 hours to pull 4 purple chests and 1600 AD, making it even worse (43.5 hours per chest/400 AD).

Oh, I'm disregarding the necessary mining claim/siege engine/region map in my calculations because you'll probably be pulling enough of them from boxes to not need to worry about it most of the time.

And now that I look at all that, I think I just need to end it with a :spergin:. I think about passive AD generation way more than I should.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread