Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The level design seems a bit drab, but otherwise looks good. Hard Reset was a clever little FPS without major issues (it certainly had smaller ones though). It had well designed weapon interplay, and shooting them was a fuckton of fun. Certainly looking forward their next effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Coupon + preorder discount stacks I believe, cutting the price to just over $30. Personally I love what I've seen so far, but I don't have the machine (or spare cash) to play it anytime soon.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

I can't help but feel like stuff like this takes what was a light hearted, silly ninja game, and makes it into a game that very pointlessly tries really hard to shock people.

Oh, just like Saint's Row I guess.

edit: haha, that article even comes with "see if we give a gently caress, nerds" edge to it. Jesus.

What exactly is so shocking or meant to be anyway?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah it's not trying to shock anyone it's "we publish Saint's Row now, here's something stupid and silly."

That's Deep Silver, not Devolver.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

Right. I think giant purple dildos in ninja games is stupid as poo poo, and family guy style random humor is tired as gently caress. Therefore I "want to be a huge downer".

I also think the Saint's Row series is a collection of poorly strung together meme jokes and barely passable action with a too-loose-to-work targeting system.

Anyway, for the record, I do not think this is supposed to be some kind of literary masterpiece, and I'm perfectly fine with a game starring a guy called Lo Wang being silly. There's a pretty vast gap in my mind between "mindless violence and doofy one liners" and "Ha ha! Here's a DILDO!"

Yet you said the game, not this stupid cross promotion (of a gag two games old), was trying to be shocking. Do you just disapprove of associating SR's lame humor - in this entirely irrelevant bit of marketing - with the game, or did you actually mean the words you typed?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fwoderwick posted:

Very Important Question, does this game have a personal nuke which kills anything within line of sight?

Shadow Warrior was awesome and insanely good fun in multiplayer. The weaponset was so gloriously overpowered I think I had even more fun than in Duke 3D.

The trailers I've seen so far have made me laugh so nuke=buy.

Don't think it does, unless it's a secret pickup they haven't revealed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Devolver announced they'd continue releasing katana alternatives for a while after the release, some time ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Why are there so few reviews of this game? http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/shadow-warrior (I read the RPS wot I think).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

randombattle posted:

It's surprising how good this game is when it really had no reason to be any good at all.

Except for who's developing it? Hard Reset had problems - how serious depends on who you ask (I loved it) - but it showed Flying Hog certainly had potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

This is built using their proprietary engine they made for Hard Reset, right?

Yeah.

randombattle posted:

I just mean Shadow Warrior as a concept. A game about a super racist caricature getting a modern sequel in the vein of Duke Nukem Forever is not a concept I ever held hope for regardless of the developer.

Well I have enough confidence in Devolver not to greenlight something as out of touch as Forver, but outside that context, yeah it is a bit bizarre.

On the topic of Devolver, they've promised that if SW does well, they'll go after the Blood IP.

• Locked thread