Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am going to make ten predictions, and the toxx clause will come into effect if less than half of these do not happen.

1. Tay Tay will finish top-5 in points
2. Clarkson will score 15 goals or less
3. Columbus will make the playoffs
4. Victor Hedman will receive at least one vote for the Norris
5. Tavares will score 50 goals
6. Philadelphia will be a bottom-5 team in the league
7. Fowler will rebound and score 30+ points
8. Franson will manage to put up 30+ points
9. Edmonton will continue improving, and will only miss the playoffs by five points (if they make the playoffs, this prediction is still a success)
10. Sidney Crosby will play over 75 games, and manage to replicate similar PPG totals as his previous three seasons, so will score at least 115 points.

All of these are just doubling down on predictions I have made in other threads. I haven't figured out the proper toxx yet. Probably just an avatar change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

This is a good idea. I like it.

Thank you. Thank you.

I figured that I'd back up things I have said over the past few months with a toxx. I just couldn't figure out a way of putting something about Bogosian in there, because I don't think "will be a top-20 defenseman" can be measured objectively.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

a false posted:

wait do you mean if less than half of them DO happen

If five or more of my predictions are correct, the toxx will not come into effect.

Now you are confusing me even more. I have re-read my sentence ten times since you posted and my head is spinning.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

thehustler posted:

You should make this like a proper accumulator bet and have the toxx happen if the whole set of 10 doesn't come off.

Or are you chicken? :)

Are you suggesting different degrees of toxx, each one getting progressively worse, depending on how many I get wrong?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

burf posted:

Since I like the idea of multiple predictions, so I'm doing it too. If 6 or more of the following predictions are incorrect, I will get some kind of anti-Sens avatar.

1. Karlsson will be in the top 3 for Norris voting.
2. Bobby Ryan will score at least 35 goals.
3. Clarke MacArthur will outscore David Clarkson.
4. Spezza will finish top-10 in scoring.
5. Ottawa will finish ahead of Detroit.
6. Winnipeg will finish 4th or higher in the Central division.
7. Yakupov will score at least 30 goals.
8. Canada will not make the 2014 Olympic men's hockey finals.
9. Taylor Hall will outscore John Tavares (gonna hedge this bet by saying in points-per-game, not total points).
10. Toronto and Anaheim will miss the playoffs.
11. (I haven't decided yet but it makes more sense to me to have an odd number of predictions)

If any of those seem too easy, let me know and I can swap the offending prediction to something else.

The Karlsson one is too easy, since he's already a preseason favourite. At least the Spezza one, which also has a high probability of happening, is contingent on him staying healthy, which has been a major issue for him in years past.

Shoeonhead22 posted:

I'll toxx myself on the under of this:
If Sidney Crosby plays over 72 games (edit: during the regular season) I will change my forum name to whatever flyinglemur or Vigilance chooses.

Separate toxx:
If Toronto makes it further than Montreal in the playoffs I will change my avatar to whatever Twin Cinema or Paulocaust chooses.

Both have to be acceptable by the forum rules, I'm not changing my name to something racist and/or changing my avatar into a penis. I'll keep whatever changes happen until the playoffs of the following season.

I really don't think I will get to change your avatar :(

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Shoeonhead22 posted:

With Nazem "The Dream" Kadri and all those Stanley Cup rings in the roster, the Leafs could be a serious 2014 cup threat!

Scott Gomez avatar until the day I die

You shouldn't fakepost like that. It's mean.

Wayne Gretzky posted:

If the Oilers finish in the playoffs or within five points of a playoff spot I will never post on something awful forums ever again.

No, Mr. Gretzky. This runs counter to my prediction!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Wayne Gretzky posted:

Your predictions are out to lunch dim bulb!

What happened, Wayne? I thought we were buds.

I am just into Dubnyk and Tay Tay and that top-6 and will let things like "being terrible" not get in the way of my expert predictions.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

A toxx based on 25 goals? On a player who has never scored 20? What the heck, Drunk Canuck?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Drunk Canuck posted:

Fine, Twin Cinema. I will up the ante.

I approve.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I am going to make ten predictions, and the toxx clause will come into effect if less than half of these do not happen.

9. Edmonton will continue improving, and will only miss the playoffs by five points (if they make the playoffs, this prediction is still a success)
10. Sidney Crosby will play over 75 games, and manage to replicate similar PPG totals as his previous three seasons, so will score at least 115 points.

All of these are just doubling down on predictions I have made in other threads. I haven't figured out the proper toxx yet. Probably just an avatar change.

For every one of these that doesn't happen, I'll donate $5 to a charity of my choosing. So, it's possible that I donate $50.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Let's see how this is going.

1. Hall's 8 points in 9 games was a pretty good pace, and then he got injured. He should be back tomorrow, but missing those 6 games may be too much.
2. 0 goals in 5 games. Only 67 games left to go.
3. Too early to tell.
4. Too early to tell.
5. 6 goals in 14 games. Needs to score at a 0.65 GPG pace for the rest of the season now. Not so confident in this.
6. So far, so good.
7. At his current pace, will score 27 points (all assists).
8. At his current pace, will score 49 points (all assists).
9. Haha, gently caress.
10. At his current pace, will score 125 points.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I figure that I am going to continue doing monthly updates, mostly so I don't forget.

1. His PPG is down from last year. If he hadn't missed 7 games, he would be tied for 16th in points (provided he maintained his current PPG). Right now, he's tied for 66th. I still have faith, but he's gonna have to have a couple of big games.
2. Currently on pace for ~9 goals.
3. Too early to tell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
4. I haven't seen him play this year, but he currently has a career high in PPG. If he maintains his pace for 47 points, he will get a vote.
5. I may have overestimated Tavares.
6. Looked like a good prediction after October, but then Philly had a good November. There's no way that Mason maintains his level of play. I won't be able to process it if he does.
7. On pace for 39 points.
8. Was on pace for 41 points, but is now out. However, it only looks to be day-to-day.
9. Just wait for Edmonton's monster push.
10. Currently on pace for 105 points. He went through a slow patch in early November, but has now put up 11 points in his past 8 games. I am not too worried about this prediction.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

Still no picks for my toppings. A bit uneasy about that.

Give us a list of possible toppings.

Twin Cinema posted:

1. Despite missing seven games, Hall is slowly climbing up the points board. He is currently 18th, but if he scored at his current PPG pace for those seven missing games, he would be 4th.
2. This one is getting sad.
3. The Metropolitan division is starting to separate, and Columbus is getting left behind.
4. Likely at this point, although who knows?
5. On pace to score ~30 goals. I am going to miss badly. I thought last year's pace was a sign of things to come.
6. This one is looking less likely with each passing month.
7. He already has 25 points. Barring an injury, he will hit this mark. Let it be known that I was right about Cam Fowler!
8. He has 20 points, will probably hit 30 points.
9. Hahaha.
10. On pace to hit exactly 115 points. I thought he would have about ten more points by this point.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

7. Fowler will rebound and score 30+ points: Correct

1. He's currently sitting in 12th. If he didn't miss 7 games, he would be in 4th place.
2. Still at 3 goals, and he is injured.
3. This prediction looks a lot better than it did last month. Columbus went 10-4-0 in January.
4. Who knows?
5. Currently on pace for 33 goals. This will not happen.
6. Philly is ten points ahead of the 26th team in the league (the Islanders).
7. Fowler hit 30 points.
8. Currently has 26 points. Franson will probably hit 30.
9. Hahaha.
10. I thought Crosby would hit 130 points this year. Currently, he is still hovering around the 115 mark, and he is on pace to play 82 games.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

VJeff posted:

If Hedman doesn't get Norris votes with the year he's having, I'll be STUNNED.

As will I. He's pretty much assured to get a vote from someone.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Last update before the end of the season.

1. He is currently 18th, and 8 points away from 5th. Unless he goes on a tear (he won't), this won't happen.
2. Not like this; not like this.
3. They currently have a wild card spot.
4. This HAS to happen.
5. Finished the year with 24 goals. Won't happen.
6. Wrong on this one.
7. Yes
8. Only 3 points away.
9. Haha.
10. On pace for 111 points. I believe in you, Crosby.

Getting 6 out of 10 would be p. good.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Toronto might make the playoffs, but they'll probably face the Bruins. Bolts are in a weird rebuild limbo so I feel pretty good about the Habs's chances.

Can someone explain the new format to me? I thought the Habs would be playing the Leafs, if the season ended today. My understanding is that the two division winners play the wild card teams (so 1v8 and 2v7), and the other two series' are divisional playoffs.

e: I think I misread your post, and you are saying that Toronto will fall back to the WC spot.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

As we head into the last week of the season, let's take a look:

1. Before this past week, I would have laughed in your face if you told me Hall still had a shot to finish in the top-5. But, here we are. With 10 points in his last 4 games, can he carry this production into Edmonton's last three games? He's only two points away from Perry.
2. I thought it would be a lot closer.
3. Probably.
4. Probably. Just hit 50 points.
5. Wah-wah.
6. Wah-wah.
7. Fowler has 36 points on the season, but has been out since mid-March.
8. Franson has 33 points on the season.
9. Wah-wah.
10. Wah-wah.

It looks like I will get 5 of these right, with a possibility for a sixth if Hall continues to rack up points.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

Lost (most likely) - now it's just a matter of how many I have to eat. Still waiting on topping suggestions. I was thinking mayo, pickles, and red onions. :barf:

Not gross enough. Ask for the fish filet sauce.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Thanks guys.

I hope you're all happy, now I'm an even bigger joke on here than I was before

I am going to forget who your originally were in a few weeks.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

I made these predictions in August. August!

1. Finished tied for 6th, despite missing 7 games. He missed by 2 points.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Do I really have to wait for the results? Yes.
5. No.
6. No.
7. Yes.
8. Yes.
9. Nooooooo.
10. Next year, don't make a two-part prediction.

I will donate $25, as per the toxx on this post:

Twin Cinema posted:

For every one of these that doesn't happen, I'll donate $5 to a charity of my choosing. So, it's possible that I donate $50.

I will donate in the next few days, once I figure out which charity.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Serisothikos posted:

Does this mean you go back to your old Tina avatar?

The good thing about the old avatar is that it won't get outdated for another few years.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

JoelJoel posted:

3) Wow, thanks Leafs. Had to go and make it the max, didn't you? I may do this this weekend. Since no one has offered up toppings I'll go with the above mentioned mayo, pickled, and onions.

Result: 9 burgers and a had written letter using markers/crayons and my non-dominant hand. Pics/vid when I'm all done.

Read the thread!

Twin Cinema posted:

Not gross enough. Ask for the fish filet sauce.

It's just tartar sauce, but it's grosser than just mayo (which is delicious, btw)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't know McDonalds even had relish.

They don't. Just, the McD Tartar Sauce or whatever they call it is just made with relish (as all tartar sauce is?)

I wonder if they would use the ranch sauce for a burger? Do they still even have ranch sauce?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I mean he should be a favourite but this isn't actually looking so hot right now.

There are a handful of guys who I think could share the the votes this year. Hedman is one of those guys. Luckily, I only said he needed one vote.

Apparently going to the Olympics matters. Ask Doughty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I bet he just fished those wrappers out of the trash!

• Locked thread