Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

It's a gorgeous day! The cam is up and running!

You may see Mushroom and Bloop fighting, they've been getting into it the last two days. The struggle for banty roo supremacy is on! There can be only one (little one)! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

You may see Mushroom and Bloop fighting, they've been getting into it the last two days. The struggle for banty roo supremacy is on! There can be only one (little one)! :black101:

Who is ahead so far? Poor Bloop! He thought that Weedcat had been taken care of but now he has to battle with Mushroom! :D

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Inveigle posted:

Who is ahead so far? Poor Bloop! He thought that Weedcat had been taken care of but now he has to battle with Mushroom! :D

Mushroom chases Bloop to the point that Bloop becomes exhausted and must be rescued. We've been isolating Mushroom so that Bloop has some normalcy, we hope that Mushroom will calm the Hell down soon. When Bloop stands his ground and just ducks so that Mushroom jumps over him when he comes at him, that works...but then he cuts and runs and Mushroom, surprisingly enough for a little round guy with short legs, can keep up. I don't think Bloop would really care that Mushroom is top banty roo, but Mushroom won't leave him alone, the little snot.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Mushroom chases Bloop to the point that Bloop becomes exhausted and must be rescued. We've been isolating Mushroom so that Bloop has some normalcy, we hope that Mushroom will calm the Hell down soon. When Bloop stands his ground and just ducks so that Mushroom jumps over him when he comes at him, that works...but then he cuts and runs and Mushroom, surprisingly enough for a little round guy with short legs, can keep up. I don't think Bloop would really care that Mushroom is top banty roo, but Mushroom won't leave him alone, the little snot.

Aww. Poor Bloop! I guess that he doesn't have the outdoor bird cage to sit on top of right now? Perhaps Mushroom couldn't reach Bloop up there and Bloop could have a break. Bloop got pretty good at flying up and hiding on top of things (when he was keeping away from Weedcat).

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Aww. Poor Bloop! I guess that he doesn't have the outdoor bird cage to sit on top of right now? Perhaps Mushroom couldn't reach Bloop up there and Bloop could have a break. Bloop got pretty good at flying up and hiding on top of things (when he was keeping away from Weedcat).

That big heavy cage is still out there...it got blown across the run in the 100 mph windstorm last weekend. Damned wind picked it up and THREW it at 12_String when he was out trying to fix the coop door during the storm.

VVV drat, do you ever have my sympathies.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 15, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I currently have the hellstorm, I lost all power yesterday and missed chickens.

:argh:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Hey guys, look what I got in the mail today!

When I opened it, I saw these! :neckbeard:

These are: Frizzled Ameraucana/Silkie Hybrid ~ Sizzles (the blue/green ones): ~Hybrid chicks from Frizzled Ameraucna Hens & Silkie Rooster ~
Easter Egger/Silkie Hybrid (also some of the green ones) : ~Hybrid chicks from Easter Egger & Olive Egger Hens & Silkie Rooster ~
Polish/Silkie Hybrid (White eggs on the right): ~Hybrid chicks from Polish Hens Frizzled & Smooth Bearded and Non-Bearded Bantam & Large Flow & Silkie Rooster ~
Salmon Flavorelle/Silkie Hybrid: ~Hybrid chicks from Salmon Flavorelle Hens & Silkie Rooster ~

God knows WHAT will hatch! Can't wait, they go into the incubator along with some of our own eggs the day after tomorrow!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ooooh! I hope that they ALL hatch and that there's tons of Frizzles, Sizzles and Silkies! :D

Any other potential broody mamas?

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
:neckbeard: Oh my goddddddd this could be the best/most ridiculous Chickam ever.

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
I am so unironically excited to watch the eggs. I have missed this the past two years (or however long since Fries and co hatched) and was so upset both times.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Arise, chicken.

Chicken arise.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Ooooh! I hope that they ALL hatch and that there's tons of Frizzles, Sizzles and Silkies! :D

Any other potential broody mamas?

Not yet, but we're workin' the girls and doing everything we can to encourage The Brood. Rambo is thinking about it...still no eggs from her, darn it. Maybe for Hatch B that gets set next week.

I'm going to set half of the eggs for Hatch A Friday, the other half on Saturday to hopefully space out the hatch over two days to give more people a chance to catch a chick hatching. This is the first time I've tried this so it's kind of an experiement, I'll have to be carefull about doing the last three days (lockdown) correctly but other than that I don't foresee any problem.

Looking forward to chicks with silly head poofs/feathers. The ReptiPro is warming up, gotta go mark eggs now! :woop:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I'd lend you turkey if I could, drat tiny silly hen is forever broody and angry in the spring. Rusty is a close contender in angrybrood :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

THE CHICKENING HAS BEGUN. :derp:

The 1st group of eggs was set this morning! These are 17 bantam eggs and Polish mix eggs--figured I'd give the little guys and the more delicate Polish a few hours head start. The other 26 eggs for this hatch I'll set tomorrow.

Also, pretty new ~*GOLD*~ water weasel, oooooooh--!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Aw yiss.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
HOORAY!!!! Is the normal amount of time 21 days?

VS, I know your eggs and chickens are special so the normal science and biology stuff does not apply to them:)

I'm so excited. I think I have a name that has not been used that could be kinda funny! Waiting 'til eggs are hatching to reveal it though!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

HOORAY!!!! Is the normal amount of time 21 days?

VS, I know your eggs and chickens are special so the normal science and biology stuff does not apply to them:)

I'm so excited. I think I have a name that has not been used that could be kinda funny! Waiting 'til eggs are hatching to reveal it though!

21 days, except bantam eggs that for some reason like to hatch at 20 days. I think it's just because an eggshell can only contain that much awesome/assholeishness for so long before bursting open.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The 1st group of eggs was set this morning! These are 17 bantam eggs and Polish mix eggs--figured I'd give the little guys and the more delicate Polish a few hours head start. The other 26 eggs for this hatch I'll set tomorrow.

Also, pretty new ~*GOLD*~ water weasel, oooooooh--!

:swoon:

Aw yisss chickens.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
CHEEEEKAAAAANZZZZZ!!!! :spazz:

Where is the link?!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Astrofig posted:

CHEEEEKAAAAANZZZZZ!!!! :spazz:

Where is the link?!

Nothing happening yet, the cam won't start until hatching begins, in about 3 weeks, March 20th. Between now and then we'll run the cam out on the adult flock in the yard on Saturdays, weather permitting...and it's supposed to snow like a bitch today. So I doubt we'll run it today.

When hatching DOES start, the link is here: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

...and here's the rest of the eggs that I added today. Hatch A is complete and set!

When it comes to daddys, it could be any of the 7 roos, they are all being very diligent in their duties. There are two bantam roos--Bloop the MilleFleur Belgian d'Uccle and Mushroom the bantam Cochin. Big roos are: Weedcat, splash Giant Cochin, Cam, Giant Cochin/Ameraucaunas, Frosty and Cowbell, Ameraucaunas mix and Buzzard, Ameraucaunas/MilleFleur Belgian d'Uccle mix (I don't know how Bloop managed to climb Rose, a big hen, and father a child...but I salute him).

As for moms, the only eggs I was able to be sure of were 1 from Alice, Barred Rock, 1 from Sophie, Bantam Sicilian Buttercup/Cochin mix, 1 from Pie, Buff Brahma/Giant Cochin/Ameraucaunas mix and 1 from Olive, bantam Cochin. The green eggs are from Ameraucaunas hens and the other tiny eggs and from bantam hens...beyond that, who knows!

There are no eggs on the bottom of the ReptiPro because I'd have to raise the temps too high to get enough heat down there, eggs on the top shelf would get too hot and die. In one week I'll candle these guys and remove any that have not started to develop embryos, then add the eggs for Hatch B. As incubation progresses from there I'll candle the eggs again on March 14th and cull any non-developing eggs. Once the culls are out there will be a *bit* more room in there. :v:

EDIT: Yup, it's snowing so no cam today, sorry.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Bloop is a very very determined Also handsome chicken.

What surprises me is that weedcat failed to stomp him.

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

What surprises me is that weedcat failed to stomp him.
It's also possible that Weedcat saw that happening and was all /slowclap.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

I think a picture of father and son is required for uhh paternity verification. Was a stepladder involved or did Rose sit in a trench?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

ApathyGirl posted:

It's also possible that Weedcat saw that happening and was all /slowclap.

^^^ This. Whenever Bloop manages one of the big girls and rides her around like a cowboy at a rodeo as she runs around screaming. Just...incredulous shock on Weedcat's part.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Omigosh Pie had an egg :neckbeard: I can't wait 'til hatching time!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

. Whenever Bloop manages one of the big girls and rides her around like a cowboy at a rodeo as she runs around screaming. Just...incredulous shock on Weedcat's part.

OHMY, I am laughing so hard right now. The mental picture I have is hilarious! Thank you for the much needed humor! Bloop, such a character! VS, have Bloop and Mushroom come to some sort of detente?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^^ This. Whenever Bloop manages one of the big girls and rides her around like a cowboy at a rodeo as she runs around screaming. Just...incredulous shock on Weedcat's part.

We need video of this poo poo stat. That's a YouTube sensation right there.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^ Not sure I could manage that, as you might imagine it's over with pretty quickly...:derp:

piscesbobbie posted:

OHMY, I am laughing so hard right now. The mental picture I have is hilarious! Thank you for the much needed humor! Bloop, such a character! VS, have Bloop and Mushroom come to some sort of detente?

They have, FINALLY. Mushroom is now over Bloop in the pecking order though, and Bloop is pretty crushed. :( But at least the bloody fighting seems to be done. It got bad since neither would give up and they were seriously fighting. Think tiny versions of Chido's henhoe fights.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I am still holding out hope that you will name one of them Peckerhead.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Parts Kit posted:

I am still holding out hope that you will name one of them Peckerhead.

Sorry, it's gotta be something my child can say without getting her mouth washed out with soap.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Aw, man. :sigh:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Velvet Sparrow posted:

^^ Not sure I could manage that, as you might imagine it's over with pretty quickly...:derp:

They have, FINALLY. Mushroom is now over Bloop in the pecking order though, and Bloop is pretty crushed. :( But at least the bloody fighting seems to be done. It got bad since neither would give up and they were seriously fighting. Think tiny versions of Chido's henhoe fights.
Aww. Bloop is still number 1 in my heart.

JimBobDole
Nov 6, 2005

'Tis the season.
Man, that pecking order is cruel. Maybe Bloop and Weedcat can hang at the corner of the yard and reminisce about the time they were kings.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

JimBobDole posted:

Man, that pecking order is cruel. Maybe Bloop and Weedcat can hang at the corner of the yard and reminisce about the time they were kings.

Divide the yard in half and let Weeds and Bloop control one half. Perhaps they'll be buddies then. :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What IS the pecking order among the roos now anyway?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Weedcat would stomp Bloop into oblivion...hate never dies.

Current pecking order, top dog to lowest:

Cam
Weedcat
Frosty/Mushroom
Bloop
Cowbell/Buzzard

The guys that are equal spend ridiculous amounts of time knocking each other off the hens when they are in the act of mating. Cam just knocks EVERYONE off their hens, it's like an elegant surgical strike he's got it down so well. Nobody gets hurt but there is plenty of aggrieved dramallama wailing and breast beating, if we are out there they come running up to us like spoiled children and cry at us all about how 'He pushed me!'

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
VS if I am ever in your neck of the woods I am going to come down to your house and sit outside and just watch your chickens for a few days because they are clearly the best entertainment around.

I hope you don't mind. I'll bring food.

Edit: Also, I'm going to name a chick this year! :3

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Faerunner posted:

VS if I am ever in your neck of the woods I am going to come down to your house and sit outside and just watch your chickens for a few days because they are clearly the best entertainment around.

I hope you don't mind. I'll bring food.

Edit: Also, I'm going to name a chick this year! :3

Bring food, but turn your back for a moment and you'll be their best friend. Stolen food tastes best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

For anyone interested, I will be candling the eggs in the incubator tomorrow night, Friday, around 11PM PST and will webcast it on the UStream Chickam channel, http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008 for those of you who want to play along at home. Hopefully I'll be able to see embryos starting and will cull any eggs that have not begun to develop.

Eggs for Hatch B will be set Friday & Saturday morning. Hatch B will be a smaller hatch, maybe a dozen eggs set.

• Locked thread