Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Chickens fart like damned long-haul truckers who have been eating chili and onion rings for three months straight, don't ever let anyone tell you different.

Sorry, Sugar is fine and enjoying being head of her little 'special ladies' house flock of 3.

Just got informed of another source for our air quality, it's currently at 250, 'Very Unhealthy'. Fifty more points and it'll get to the worst possible level, 'Hazardous'. Which I assume means, 'Good God just hold your breath till further notice, poo poo's nasty'.

Whee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

...aaaaand I've got a house full of chickens again. Most of who growled and whined when we approached the house with them in our arms. Placated with corn and grapes, helped a LITTLE bit.

The watermelon I'm holding in reserve.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Read this, might help folks understand why the super bad air quality is bad for chickens, or any bird.

http://www.edb.utexas.edu/petrosino/Legacy_Cycle/mf_jm/Challenge3/Pet%20Educatio-Birds.pdf

edit: see page 2 bullet 3

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 27, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

What the Hell, runnin' the cam. New angle, more at chicken level.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Chickens variously staring at suspiciously or pooping right in front of the camera.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Off for tonight so the crabby little buttheads can get some sleep, we'll put it back up tomorrow morning.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awww. It seems that I missed the 30 minutes window the cam was operating in tonight. :(

There's always tomorrow though! :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Meeko got a wing trim, he was leaping at the stuff hanging on the walls. I think his little roo brain is smoked.
Our air quality got to 302, officially in the purple 'Hazardous' zone. Glad we brought them in. The cam will be up again in the morning when there is sure to be more squabbling from irritable chickens.

Found some guy named Kyle's half-burned insurance card in my back yard tonight, the wind from the fire is dropping weird poo poo and raining huge ash chunks.

EDIT: Well poo poo, OK. No wonder the pictures I took on the 22nd seemed to show such crappy air. It was spectacularly crappy that day, and ever since. Found a site that charted the hourly AQI from the 22nd to now: http://nvair.ndep.nv.gov/reports/TabularDisplay.aspx

When I saw 985 it just about broke my brain. AQI right now is 343. Gotta say, we're all having a hard time at this point.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 27, 2013

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

... although Gloria has decided to sit under 12_String's desk and fart all day. :keke:
Heh.

Nowhere as bad as what you're going through at the moment, but we had several hours of torrential rain on my neck of the UK on Saturday. The hens, naturally, stayed under the veranda rather than risk the rain. The noise of the rain on the plastic (sheet roof of the old-as-rear end veranda / lean to conservatory) was deafening, so we brought the hens into the kitchen and sat with them. They appeciated the attention, but by the end of the day were getting a bit stir crazy from not being able to go out into the (their) garden, even though we kept the kitchen door open for them.

Keeping 50 chickens comfortable in one room, must be a mammoth task.

Looking at the US forest fires on CNN Saturday, I thought there's someone who needs our downpour more than we do.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Ha, my early morning sneak into the room got me a nice big weedcat close up, and then he crowed at point blank and hurt my ears.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cam back up. We've got the back door open for now so we all can get some fresh air, early morning is as good as it gets all day.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop says, "Hey ladies! Check me out! I AM DA ROO!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Meanwhile, Sonic has decided to switch things up and lay an egg in the feeder. While everyone is eating.

I took her out once and tried to talk her into using any of the nesting spots we'd created, but no, she went right back.

*sigh* :rolleyes:

It's a chicken dalek.

EDIT: The egg was duly laid and admired, a small, pointed, light brown egg with dark speckles.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 28, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I was right, I knew a chicken would lay an egg in it, but I thought it was a trashcan. Still :smug:

Maybe Sonic thinks there needs to be more protein in the other chickens diet.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 27, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

I was right, I knew a chicken would lay an egg in it, but I thought it was a trashcan. Still :smug:

VS has photos of a hen laying an egg in a trashcan too! And in a bowl of oranges! :D

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So much poo! :stonk:

ApathyGirl
Aug 24, 2013

Inveigle posted:

Bloop says, "Hey ladies! Check me out! I AM DA ROO!"

That really is a good lookin' rooboy head. Nice comb!

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sometimes im happy to live in a place where the humidity is so high you couldnt start a fire on a lake of gasoline.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Sometimes im happy to live in a place where the humidity is so high you couldnt start a fire on a lake of gasoline.

I've heard that in areas of high humidity fish can breath 'on land!' :pwn:

edit: VS I'm waiting to hear something like this from your living room! LOL! http://youtu.be/V0MJR_O9ZlI

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 29, 2013

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

:stare: Those outside weather condition photos look like the dust storms in Iraq. That's awful.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I know you're probably sick of advice, but even a 20x20 furnace filter bungee'd to a box fan might help filter your indoor air a little... and it may help if you use that setup to pull "better" air into the house in the morning.

On the other hand we know you're doing everything possible because that's what you always do, so thanks for keeping us updated.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

From a few days ago. The fabulous CM Cluck front and center (not Wiggles). VS said that the Light Brahma was Baba.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 29, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

More cute chooks from a few days ago. Perhaps VS can identify them.

Edit: VS said these are Butters and Wotsits.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 29, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You cant mistake those pants, unless someone's cloned Weedcat.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Wiggles from a few days ago. I'm not sure who the Light Brahma is behind her.

This is Baba! And actually that is CM in the foreground.

Inveigle posted:

More cute chooks from a few days ago. Perhaps VS can identify them.

Butters in the foreground, the light Brahma is Wotsits. :)

The fire is expected to burn for another 2 weeks at least. Scrambles is still with us, although we thought for sure she wouldn't be here this morning. Today she ate some corn so that is encouraging. Gloria is back with the flock and is slowly improving. The chickens will have to go out again tomorrow so I can clean the dining room & wash the sheets again, we'll see if the smoke gets bad enough to bring them in again.

I apologize for all the coughing & hacking when the cam is on. Today we finally found some face masks at the hardware store, they'd been sold out all week. Hope they help, as we're all getting pretty sick and wrung out.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I apologize for all the coughing & hacking when the cam is on. Today we finally found some face masks at the hardware store, they'd been sold out all week. Hope they help, as we're all getting pretty sick and wrung out.

VS, not those cheap paper masks, I hope? The better masks are the ones that have thick filters, like they use for painting with sprays.

Thanks for IDing the chickens. I wasn't totally sure on the hen you IDed as CM Cluck. I realize now that Wiggles is more gray and white.

Is this CM Cluck in the bottom right of this pic? What cool coloring. It's almost like she's a soft rose/beige color with gray and white. Really lovely!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

VS, not those cheap paper masks, I hope? The better masks are the ones that have thick filters, like they use for painting with sprays.

Thanks for IDing the chickens. I wasn't totally sure on the hen you IDed as CM Cluck. I realize now that Wiggles is more gray and white.

Is this CM Cluck in the bottom right of this pic? What cool coloring. It's almost like she's a soft rose/beige color with gray and white. Really lovely!

Heavy duty dust masks are all we could find. The cool 3M ones we were looking for aren't around right now.

Yes that's CM, she's a porcelain Belgian d'Uccle, I love the coloring, you described it perfectly. CM is older so she has more of the fine white spangling coming along than Wiggles does for now. I think porcelains look like moonlight. :keke: The smoke & glare was such when we ran the cam the other day that I'm surprised you got any decent pics at all.

Our wind has shifted today so we are getting smoke from the American fire for now instead of the Rim fire. It's less, we'll take it! Gonna move the chickens back out to the coop for however long this lasts, it'll give me a chance to clean the dining room. Again.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Check Amazon. They have a bunch of different kinds of face masks from the cheap paper masks to the big respirators for clearing out lead and asbestos.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam should be up shortly, we caught a break in the wind direction last night and most of the smoke from the Rim fire at Yosemite is blowing slightly away from us. So we actually slept for the first time in about 9 days and overslept this morning.

The chickens are out in the coop, Sugar and Scrambles are in the house tho. Scrambles has improved very slightly so we'll just have to see how she does, but is still too frail & weak to be out in the coop.

Later on I plan on giving the flock a watermelon--but only with holes cut in the top so they'll have to stick their heads in. :keke:

EDIT: Cam is finally up, one of the cords decided it was gonna be flaky. The chickens may sound a bit funny due to the smoke, everyone is raspy and congested.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 31, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Incoming goodies: Leftover Mexican food, yum

How To Feed Your Chickens A Watermelon

First, properly prepare your melon.

Then, place watermelon within range of a flock of chickens. There will be much milling about and chickspicion. HMKFP will keep a cowardly sensible distance from the scary melon at first and let the hens go first.

Finally your huge coward of a rooster will dare to approach.

This can only get funnier as they eat down into the horrified melon and REALLY have to stick their heads in there.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 1, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Wow! That watermelon looks delicious! I haven't had any good watermelon all summer long. :(

By the way, for those who don't know, HMKFP is short for "His Majesty King Fluffy Pants" which is now Weedcat's royal name. :D

Doodad would be Prince Fluffy Pants.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Sorry we had to truncate the feed today, the cam/wires/laptop were NOT working and playing well together and I suspect at least one of them needs new parts.

12_String checked the coop after dark and said the watermelon was 'terrifying-looking'. I'll try to get a pic of it in the morning. :zombie:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Sorry we had to truncate the feed today, the cam/wires/laptop were NOT working and playing well together and I suspect at least one of them needs new parts.

12_String checked the coop after dark and said the watermelon was 'terrifying-looking'. I'll try to get a pic of it in the morning. :zombie:

Did the Cochin Quints manage to get some watermelon?

Weedcat's running around and crowing to announce the arrival of tasty watermelon was most hilarious. Does he do that when a super special treat is brought to them?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Did the Cochin Quints manage to get some watermelon?

Weedcat's running around and crowing to announce the arrival of tasty watermelon was most hilarious. Does he do that when a super special treat is brought to them?

Weeds (and all roos, really) like to crow and take credit. 'Look what I hath wrought!' We tossed the cut pieces into the run, so I'm sure the Fab 5 got some.

EDIT:
It's the Unhappiest Little Watermelon.

:qq:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 1, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is he still letting the girls pluck his neck? Tsk Weedcat, that's not a good look.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
That poor watermelon :gonk:

Hope you guys are able to get more than one day of restful sleep in. Those pictures on page one looked terrifying.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cam is up & running! We're trying a bit of a different setup this time, trying to eliminate some questionable cords--which means the laptop is out in the yard. If the dog knocks it over or something we'll put it back.

The smoke is better this morning but it's still causing quite a bit of glare. Typically it gets worse later in the day, depending on which way the wind is blowing and how strong the breeze is.

Also, Bloop is pouting up on the birdcage.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop knows he's safe (temporarily) from Weedcat, hiding up on top of the birdcage. ;)

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Haha, HMKFP is all like "yeah, you stay up there, boy. I got all my womens with me here."
It's so great to see them outside again!

Check out the Weedstrut~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Phaena posted:

Haha, HMKFP is all like "yeah, you stay up there, boy. I got all my womens with me here."
It's so great to see them outside again!

Check out the Weedstrut~

He's just a ragmop on sturdy legs, isn't he?

• Locked thread