Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Cam may not start till after 10AM , we're having nighttime temps at or below freezing and have to wait till it warms up enough in the morning so the laptop can safely go out into the yard.

Meanwhile, I have a pumpkin for tomorrow! :v:

Hooray! Pumpkins are always fun! :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

The cam is giving us Hell, sorry. Working on it.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

What's the temperature there today? Might it be too cold for the equipment?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Inveigle posted:

What's the temperature there today? Might it be too cold for the equipment?

It's gotten down to freezing or just below the last few nights and that is supposed to continue for the next few days, but once it warms up in the midday it's lovely shirtsleeve weather. :) So we just had to wait for it to warm up this morning so the laptop wouldn't be a block of ice.

So no, the laptop is just being a butt and not working and playing well with UStream. Unfortunately we don't have an extra computer tower to dedicate to Chickam right now.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ah well. That's okay. Thanks for trying!

If you end up giving the chickens a pumpkin treat, please snap and post a few pics. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Ah well. That's okay. Thanks for trying!

If you end up giving the chickens a pumpkin treat, please snap and post a few pics. :)

I will! I'm trying to stay away from the cam itself since I'm sick as a damned dog right now and am working on coughing at least ONE of my lungs out. Ain't a pretty sound.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Webcam is up and working -- it's a little laggy but tolerable. Pumpkin frenzy to come later on!

Fries walked by.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Pumpkin incoming!

Edit:...once we get the cam up and running again. WEEDCAT--! :argh:

VVVVV Burger in the foreground giving the Stink Eye to either Fred or Meeko.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 5, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chooks in the sun (before the pumpkin came in). VS, who is this?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bow down to the Great Pumpkin! (VS, who is this?)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Bow down to the Great Pumpkin! (VS, who is this?)

Heh, that's Honey gazing into the pumpkiny abyss. Bloop craning his neck to look down inside the thing. Pompadour is behind Bloop, and that looks like Meeko (or Fred) kinda just stomping through and being oblivious.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nice close-up shot of Meeko. I have no idea just who has their entire head jammed into the pumpkin, but it's hilarious!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Meeko's beautiful feathers!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

Nice close-up shot of Meeko. I have no idea just who has their entire head jammed into the pumpkin, but it's hilarious!

That's Bug. Bug has never been big on dignity.

Pumpkin feed pics!

It had an appropriate expression of dismay.

At first it was thoroughly inspected...

And then, as always when FOOD is discovered, found to be wonderful.

Baby the Kraienkoppe hen liked it...

Sora the white Leghorn hen REALLY liked it, and decided to defend her pumpkin against all interlopers. Pompador, on the right, just couldn't figure it out.

Bloop the d'Uccle roo and Fries the black mottled d'Uccle hen decided to stick with an eye, since Sora obviously wasn't coming up for air any time soon.

While the gray Giant Cochin contingent huddled together and mostly watched.

There is plenty left for tomorrow, although Sora didn't believe it and did go to roost rather reluctantly.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No cam today, we were out getting flu shots & running errands today, we'll run it tomorrow.

Also, some rear end in a top hat tried to break into my house during the 2+ hours we were gone, they'd jimmied the sliding glass door. :argh: We figure we interrupted them before they could get in, since nothing inside was disturbed.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

No cam today, we were out getting flu shots & running errands today, we'll run it tomorrow.

Also, some rear end in a top hat tried to break into my house during the 2+ hours we were gone, they'd jimmied the sliding glass door. :argh: We figure we interrupted them before they could get in, since nothing inside was disturbed.

OH MY! Thank goodness they didn't get in! Was there much damage to the door? JEEZ !@#$ Did you call the police?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Really strange-- no damage to door, cop came out and we told him what we found, he said no burglaries in our area. We told him we just wanted to let them know what happened and to see if there had been a rash of break ins or anything.

If I hadn't been 100% CERTAIN that I had closed, locked and tested the door by pulling on it to make SURE it was latched just before we left, we probably would have figured we had left it open.

The kid had left the laptop on the kitchen table and it was visible through the slider, we figured that was what they were after. Since Nadine freaks out and thrashes & yells at strangers so much, she may well have been what scared them away, lord knows it wasn't the dog. Another possibility is someone who had been in this house before we moved in and knew how to get that door open in some way. We'd already changed the locks whe we moved in, but we're putting a second lock on the slider today.

It's just reeaaally creepy.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Cut a 2x4 or broom handle or something to fit snugly between the closed slider and the frame. Only way for someone to open the door from the outside is to break the glass.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Galler posted:

Cut a 2x4 or broom handle or something to fit snugly between the closed slider and the frame. Only way for someone to open the door from the outside is to break the glass.

Yeah we've done this, only we used an old metal curtain rod the previous owners left. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It's been raining here this morning but it's clearing now, we should have the cam up shortly.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's been raining here this morning but it's clearing now, we should have the cam up shortly.

Puddles and mud for the chooks to stomp in! :dance: Any food treats on the menu today?

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Inveigle posted:

Puddles and mud for the chooks to stomp in! :dance: Any food treats on the menu today?

I'm assuming it's mudpies. Did they finish off that pumpkin last week?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Thar be chickens here! :v:

They polished off that pumpkin in less than 2 days. All that was left was a few scraps of rind. Not sure what we'll give them today.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

...and it's starting to cloud up again. Don't know how long this'll last today, guys.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop was at the webcam, looking cute and begging for treats. ;)

The chooks are BORED and they want TREATS!!!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

A floppy comb makes a great sun hat (at least for one half of your face). Which hen is this again, VS? So cute! :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

A floppy comb makes a great sun hat (at least for one half of your face). Which hen is this again, VS? So cute! :3:

That's River. She's finally starting to develop her New Hampshire comb. :)

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Floppy combs are so silly! LOVE THEM!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

HELLO! (I have no idea who this is.)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

HELLO! (I have no idea who this is.)

That's Fred channeling Ed Sullivan for a moment there, and doing The Fred Show. I picked him up the other day when he didn't want to be, and he wailed so long and loud he scared the rest of the flock, who all took it up. All kinds of roaring and hollering for a minute, I'm sure the neighbors thought we were indulging in a poultry massacre. Geez. :rolleyes:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

That's Fred channeling Ed Sullivan for a moment there, and doing The Fred Show. I picked him up the other day when he didn't want to be, and he wailed so long and loud he scared the rest of the flock, who all took it up. All kinds of roaring and hollering for a minute, I'm sure the neighbors thought we were indulging in a poultry massacre. Geez. :rolleyes:

So I have this question then, did you put him down AFTER the wailing stopped? Is that the correct way to handle the situation? To reinforce good behavior?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

So I have this question then, did you put him down AFTER the wailing stopped? Is that the correct way to handle the situation? To reinforce good behavior?

I held him, walked around with him, sat with him on my lap and snoodled him for a good 10 minutes, until his pupils started to do that expand/contract in excitement thing that birds do when they are happy. When I did put him down, he just did the typical rooster 'Awww....' sound and walked away slowly looking confused. :keke:

But you are correct, you don't reward the wailing/struggling by putting them down when they do that, that just teaches them that when they do that they get down. Instead they get put down when they are calm and quiet, but with loads of petting and cooing. Chickens luuuuv to be loved on, especially roos deep down in their hearts, it's like their guilty secret. :v:

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
I keep missing the cam of late cause I end up being away or out when it happens so I'm super thankful for all the pics being posted here! (Especially the close ups!) XD Thanks for posting them Inveigle and thanks for the pumpkin fun VS! Anymore gourds or melons for the chickens in the near future?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Phaena posted:

I keep missing the cam of late cause I end up being away or out when it happens so I'm super thankful for all the pics being posted here! (Especially the close ups!) XD Thanks for posting them Inveigle and thanks for the pumpkin fun VS! Anymore gourds or melons for the chickens in the near future?

Well our weather is getting unpredictable too--freezing mornings mean we have to wait for it to get warm enough to safely place the laptop outside, which means nearly noon our time. But once it's up we usually leave it running till dark--again, weather permitting. It's supposed to be clear this weekend so no rain or snow. :)

We'll give them something this Saturday but I don't know what yet.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It's warmed up enough for us to run the cam! Gonna give them some goodies in a bit: leftover popcorn, some bread and a couple of eggshells.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Crow-off between Bloop and Weedcat!

It looks cold, but the chickens seem to be sticking to the shaded areas. I guess their feathers keep them warm. :)

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 19, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

We'll be giving them apples on strings in about 20-30 minutes.

Edit: 4 red apples hung!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 19, 2013

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
boohoo....I had to go to my in-laws and I missed the cam....again.
Any video clips of the 4-apple challenge, pretty please?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

I don't have any vids of the most recent applefest. :(

Also, Meeko has begun crowing, if you can call it that. It's a loud, single-note, drawn-out 'OOOOOOOOO...'
Weedcat and Bloop just look at him pityingly and carefully crow back, trying to teach him.

I don't know what we'll give them this weekend. Although I DO have some lemons. Maybe I'll hang 3 apples and one lemon and see who the smartest ones are. :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I don't have any vids of the most recent applefest. :(

Also, Meeko has begun crowing, if you can call it that. It's a loud, single-note, drawn-out 'OOOOOOOOO...'
Weedcat and Bloop just look at him pityingly and carefully crow back, trying to teach him.

I don't know what we'll give them this weekend. Although I DO have some lemons. Maybe I'll hang 3 apples and one lemon and see who the smartest ones are. :keke:

LOL! I want to see Meeko being coached on his crowing! :3:

Also, I do have video of the second apple-bobbing, but the feed kept crapping out, so I only got a little bit. I'll look at the video tonight and see about putting some of it on Youtube.

• Locked thread