Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Love the photos of the bird tracks, VS. It's amazing how animals can adapt to injuries. You need to get a cheap zoom lens camera and take a shot of the plucky, little, one-legged quail. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

bluh, New job makes it way to hard to show up for this.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Hey Games folks - enjoy the chicks!

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Unfortunately, Chickam is on hiatus this week. I have no connection through the necessary 100' cable. I will get a replacement hopefully this week and be back up for next weekend. Sorry.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

New cable, yard thawed out, cam is up!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

I'm sorry there was no Chickam today, our Internet service has been down most of the day and has been super spotty the last few days. If it is working tomorrow we'll try it then.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'm sorry there was no Chickam today, our Internet service has been down most of the day and has been super spotty the last few days.

WEEDCAT!!! :argh:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Nope, Weeds has been FAR too busy administering what we have taken to calling 'Weedcattings' to the rooboys. Also, today Sora the white Leghorn ex-bat hen delivered a royal thumping on Bloop after he flogged me.

My crew got my back. :v:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

today Sora the white Leghorn ex-bat hen delivered a royal thumping on Bloop after he flogged me.

Sora went to your aid! That's actually very sweet! :3:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Nope, Weeds has been FAR too busy administering what we have taken to calling 'Weedcattings' to the rooboys. Also, today Sora the white Leghorn ex-bat hen delivered a royal thumping on Bloop after he flogged me.

I like to imagine Weedcat sitting at a grand wooden table in a high back chair, like The Godfather, and ordering troublemakers and squealers to "sleep with the butter vegetables" in the oven.

The Cockfather, basically.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

I like to imagine Weedcat sitting at a grand wooden table in a high back chair, like The Godfather, and ordering troublemakers and squealers to "sleep with the butter vegetables" in the oven.

The Cockfather, basically.

Oh dear God, I wish I had the talent to draw this. I'll have to sic my kid on it.

Both 12_String and the kid are sick as dogs, so no Chickam this weekend, sorry.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Get well soon 12String and The Kid! Have a Happy New Year!

Joanna
Jul 16, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

This is both super adorable, and super sad too that Bloop is still being aggressive with you. :/ He's such a fun character to watch, but... How to put it... If he was going to calm down, would it have already happened by now, or can we still hold hope for him to respect you like he should?

Also sorry to hear about everyone being under the weather at the moment! How were you all for Christmas day and New Year's day? I hope 12_String and Kiddo, and yourself too of course, were well enough to enjoy the festivities. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Cam is up, but our Internet has been SUPER flakey the last two weeks, so I don't know how long it'll last--it's been laggy and then going out for hours at a time.

As for Bloop, I'm not giving up on him yet. They are all uber cranky right now due to being inside because it's been cold. Once Springtime comes and they are out in the yard (I have 12 trees/shrubs coming that should help with hawk cover), I'm hoping he'll mellow out. Him getting older helps, too.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

New pics of some of this year's chicks!

First the three rooboys, who are getting rehomed this week.

Meeko:

Fred:

Honey:

Doodad, who will likely have to be rehomed too, just because too many roos. :( Doodad is getting some red-gold feathers in his cape! If you look close at the pics you can see them. So because Weedcat is his daddy, this means that Rambo is his mama--so he is half Giant COchin, half buff Brahma.

Rocket and Daphne--no need to hold them on your lap, they're Cochins, they just stay there until forcibly removed. Rocket first:

Daphne, who has helpfully grown a white feather on her head to help ID her:

Crack, looking calm and elegant:

Cam!
I can see his heritage in his head...He has Jack's short beak, Phoenix's tortoiseshell eyes and Weedcat's stripey beak. He also has Jack's calm demeanor and Phoenix's love of humans. He follows me around and tugs on my pant leg if I'm not petting him.

With Bug, his mama:

And Weedcat, his daddy (but keeping minimum safe distance):

Americaunas business in the front...

Giant Cochin party in the rear!

:keke:

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 15, 2014

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Cam is gorgeous! Sorry to say this VS, but you have to get another run, Cam must have his own flock and become an internet star like his daddy :colbert:

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Cam is gorgeous. Seems like there were a lot of roo's in this batch. Is this higher than normal? (And of course, humbly requesting a picture of Skillet if possible!)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chicken Doodle posted:

Cam is gorgeous. Seems like there were a lot of roo's in this batch. Is this higher than normal? (And of course, humbly requesting a picture of Skillet if possible!)

Skillet and Bruce were both being buttheads tonight but I'm going out with the camera tomorrow to try again. Having the kid handy to wrangle chickens really helps. We got more roos this year than normal, but not bad. With the Fab 5, 2 roos out of 5 chicks seemed excessive to me. But then I remember the year that I only had 5 eggs hatch...all roos. :suicide:

I plan on cooping Cam and his mother, Bug, together and breed them back to get more birds with Phoenix's coloring...Cam has a few red-gold feathers here and there, but I think his gray will be dominant. Plus I want more birds from the Jack-Phoenix line, Bug is my last hen from them and she's going to turn 5 in a few months so I don't know how much longer I'll get good eggs to hatch from her.

As far as more runs, what I want to concentrate on this year is getting the yard secure and safe so they can all have tons more room, that'll solve the crabby chicken syndrome going on now. I just have to finish the fencing and get my incoming trees & shrubs planted, we have hawks like mad around here so the chickens need lots of cover. Now to wait till the ground thaws for planting...

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yeah, windy as Hell today, don't want to put the computer outside and get it filled with blowing dirt so no cam today. If it dies down we can run it, or weather permitting we'll run the cam tomorrow.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Yeah, windy as Hell today, don't want to put the computer outside and get it filled with blowing dirt so no cam today. If it dies down we can run it, or weather permitting we'll run the cam tomorrow.

Yep, getting ready for the NEXT incoming snow storm. Speaking of which, I need to shovel the remainder of the old snow from Tuesday and Wednesday to make room for the new stuff! YIKES!

Stay safe!

Joanna
Jul 16, 2013
Thank you so much for all the photos! I love it so much seeing how they look like in adult-sized bodies.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Yes, thank you for the photos! Your roosters are always so gorgeous! Would it be possible to keep a "Batch Pad" for the single guys, just wishful thinking, I know that is not possible. I am sure they will go to great homes!

Today, Sat 01/11/2014, NBC Nightly News is going to/supposed to broadcast a story about Operation Migration. A cause dear to my heart if anyone is interested. About teaching Whooping Cranes to migrate with an ultralite! Check local listings!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Weedcat Butt Show is up and running! We have goodies for later, and will be doing apples on strings around 2PM (PST).

Operation Migration is one of my favorite things, ever. I even love 'Fly Away Home', it's a beautiful movie. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Terror Apples delivered!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Something I whipped up:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Phaena posted:

Something I whipped up:

Phaena, this is wonderful! :)

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Phaena posted:

Something I whipped up:

That is really, really great! Thanks for making and sharing it!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

AHAHAHAHA wonderful!

Edit: Now with Terror Apple pictures!

It was mostly the youngsters, the old farts chose to hold onto their dignity and not get relentlessly bopped by apples.

LOL

Skillet! Don't cross the streams!

It's OK though, Skillet has supercuteness that can overcome anything.

Zip IS dinosaur. I think I saw this same expression on the velociraptors in Jurassic Park.

SNARF SNARF SNARF. She really got into it.

Everyone had their own technique. River and Zip chose to tag team their apple.

River earning a style bonus.

And Fred...

Fred, what?!
I swear I didn't drop him on his head or anything when he was a baby.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jan 13, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh Fred. But those gorgeous iridescent tail feathers!

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Haha, thanks!! Glad you like it.

...and lol@ Fred! Really, they were so much fun to watch and so hapless when the apples did get their starter slice out! XD Thanks so much for the fun!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

No Chickam today?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

So sorry, we had a last-minute change of plans today.

Currently downloading the 215 pictures I took at falconry meet we went to, just got home. So no chickens today but there WILL be cool birds of prey pictures! :neckbeard:

Edit: California Hawking Club and North American Falconer Association, it was their regional meet. One male Great Horned owl and a shitton of hawks & falcons--in the 'hawk' department mostly Harris hawks--and a bunch of Peregrines, kestrels and other cool birds.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 19, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I suppose you could have trolled the event by bringing Nadine? Just keep insisting she is so a bird of prey, because crows eat meat. :colbert:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Sounds like a wonderful event to watch! Look forward to photos, pretty please! :allears:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Linking to my blog post instead of clogging the forums with birds of prey pics...warning, huge number of pictures here:
http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/01/fun-with-raptors.html

Meant to run the cam today, but the entire day ended up being taken up with running errands, sorry.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
We'll accept the photos as retribution! Such gorgeous birds. I'm now in love with kestrels too...stop it, thread. Unfortunately it appears the state falconry folks are on the far side, and the Ohio ones are way too far. Would be so neat to see something like this in person.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Linking to my blog post instead of clogging the forums with birds of prey pics...warning, huge number of pictures here:
http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/01/fun-with-raptors.html

Meant to run the cam today, but the entire day ended up being taken up with running errands, sorry.

WOW! Gorgeous birds there! It's nice to see close up photos of chicken predators! Your photos are just amazing. Thank you for sharing!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

It was the largest number of hawks & falcons in one place that I'd ever seen. When we first got there I kinda dithered around, I wanted to see them all at once. Total ninny fangirl stuff, it was embarrassing. :blush:

What was really funny when we first got there, was seeing all the pigeons that hang around the gas station next to where all these birds were, suddenly LEAVE. Like, at high speeds and in straight lines AWAY.

Didn't see or hear any other birds the rest of the day. :keke:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Saturday, 01/25, will there be chickens this weekend? Just wondering! Have a great weekend everyone :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.

piscesbobbie posted:

Saturday, 01/25, will there be chickens this weekend? Just wondering! Have a great weekend everyone :)

Chickam is up right now. Slept in a bit.

Later, we'll be putting out some goodies.

• Locked thread