Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awww. The Chickam cam feed is down. The Chickam chat is "empty" and seems to have been wiped? Did I miss it? I was going to shoot video too!

I figure that Weedcat walked over and kicked the cam over again. And then ran over and yanked the cables out of the laptop. WEEDCAT!!!!!

EDIT: Cam is back on for me! :dance:

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Vaga42Bond posted:

And given their nature as prey animals, the ceiling fan spinning possibly could be confused for a very large hawk circling, maybe?

That's what I was thinking. Spinning fan blades = death from above! A four-winged hawk! I like to think that Weedcat was just being a good Head Roo, rather than a big, ol' scaredy-roo. :D

Hey VS. When it comes time to take all the chickens back outside, I have a suggestion: As you gather up each chicken to take them out, snap a few quick photos of each bird (even if it's just The Kid holding them in her arms). It would be cool to have a record of all the chooks for your web site, should you ever get to work on it again. I'd love to see a post showing FIFTY chicken headshots. And update of all the Chickam chicks who are still living with you would be cool too! :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

piscesbobbie posted:

JEEZ VS. Looks very dangerous for those with respiratory ailments. Stay safe! Right now there is wind and thunderstorms, wish I could send them westward to you but it doesn't work that way! I can't imagine what your home will look like today!

Seriously! The air looks evil! I can't even handle ozone alerts in the city where I live. I can't imagine having to breathe air like that for a week! You might as well be smoking cigarettes!

Do these forest fires happen every year? :(

EDIT: Cam is back up and running today, but the streaming service is spotty. The stream goes in and out.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 24, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

From Saturday. Weedcat watches a plump chook sitting in one of the chairs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The smoke is supposed to continue like this for at least another 3-5 days so I don't know what is going to happen. On the plus side, we had 4 eggs laid in the corner of the dining room today!

You could probably talk the hens into just laying the eggs in a large bowl, just for you! :)

The smoke sounds horrible! I was assume that many people who have respiratory illness have gone to hospital or just left the area? Is this smoke always a problem in the summer or is this year unusual? Over in the Backyard Chickens thread, Joanna (aka PausedLife) offered to ship you some special Ventolin inhalers but they'd have to go on a boat and then go through Customs (see her post).

= = = =
Also: I wish you could find some used Oreck XL4000 Air Cleaners. They would have been perfect for your situation. You might keep an eye out on Craigslist (in the larger cities along the West coast) or eBay for some units. If this smoke is going to be such an issue each summer, you really need some air cleaners. :(

The Oreck XL4000 Air Cleaners were large, heavy duty units that used to run $650 new, ten years ago. They were made to filter air in very large rooms and their design was based on air filtration systems used in submarines -- you had a metal electrostatic filter that captured the dust/smoke particulates. You could also use an extra carbon filter for odors. When the metal filters needed cleaning, you just hosed them off, let them dry and put them back in the unit.

I own two of the larger XL4000 units and two of the smaller desktop units that I'd use in my art studio to keep the dust from my pastels/charcoals from getting all over the room. The units were wonderful at sucking up dust.

Oreck stopped making the XL4000 units after 2005 because Hurricane Katrina destroyed their manufacturing warehouse in New Orleans. These large (and very heavy) units were often used by cigarette smokers to filter the smoke/odors out of the air. I know because the two used XL4000 units that I bought off of eBay were full of tar/nicotine inside that I had to clean out before I could use the units (of course the Sellers lied to me about this but the units cleaned up nicely). Sadly, all the newer Oreck units are now made in China and don't work as well as their older style units -- be careful buying ANY of their newer units because they just don't work nearly as well.

Here's a link to a video showing an old style Oreck XL4000 Air Cleaner that was fantastic at filtering smoke and dust particles out of the air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8ZfmoyyoE

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 26, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

zamiel posted:

Can the more chicken knowledgeable folks round these parts explain why some of the chickens aren't doing too hot inside of a house? Is it psychological? Temps rising cuz you can't run an a/c unit? The air quality inside is poor but not as bad as outside? I've heard of house chickens before so I think I'm missing something crucial.

Just saw VS posted on twatter about chunks raining down :( Hang in there peeps.

It's all the smoke and ash particulates in the air. Even inside the house, the outside air filters in and affects people and animals, making their breathing more difficult. Sick/elderly people and animals can be negatively affected, even if they stay inside.

It's the reason why during Ozone alerts and on bad air pollution days that elderly and sick people are warned to stay indoors where the air isn't as bad. During local Ozone Alerts, even if I stay inside my home, I definitely feel bad from the polluted air outside -- my ears start ringing because my sinuses are affected by the bad air.

To make matters worse, I don't think that VS has air conditioning, so they don't have any way to filter/clean the air inside the house. After 9/11, the air in New York city was so bad that a lot of people bought air purifier systems to scrub some of the bad particulates out of the air in their homes.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awww. It seems that I missed the 30 minutes window the cam was operating in tonight. :(

There's always tomorrow though! :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop says, "Hey ladies! Check me out! I AM DA ROO!"

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

I was right, I knew a chicken would lay an egg in it, but I thought it was a trashcan. Still :smug:

VS has photos of a hen laying an egg in a trashcan too! And in a bowl of oranges! :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

From a few days ago. The fabulous CM Cluck front and center (not Wiggles). VS said that the Light Brahma was Baba.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 29, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

More cute chooks from a few days ago. Perhaps VS can identify them.

Edit: VS said these are Butters and Wotsits.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 29, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I apologize for all the coughing & hacking when the cam is on. Today we finally found some face masks at the hardware store, they'd been sold out all week. Hope they help, as we're all getting pretty sick and wrung out.

VS, not those cheap paper masks, I hope? The better masks are the ones that have thick filters, like they use for painting with sprays.

Thanks for IDing the chickens. I wasn't totally sure on the hen you IDed as CM Cluck. I realize now that Wiggles is more gray and white.

Is this CM Cluck in the bottom right of this pic? What cool coloring. It's almost like she's a soft rose/beige color with gray and white. Really lovely!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Wow! That watermelon looks delicious! I haven't had any good watermelon all summer long. :(

By the way, for those who don't know, HMKFP is short for "His Majesty King Fluffy Pants" which is now Weedcat's royal name. :D

Doodad would be Prince Fluffy Pants.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Sorry we had to truncate the feed today, the cam/wires/laptop were NOT working and playing well together and I suspect at least one of them needs new parts.

12_String checked the coop after dark and said the watermelon was 'terrifying-looking'. I'll try to get a pic of it in the morning. :zombie:

Did the Cochin Quints manage to get some watermelon?

Weedcat's running around and crowing to announce the arrival of tasty watermelon was most hilarious. Does he do that when a super special treat is brought to them?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop knows he's safe (temporarily) from Weedcat, hiding up on top of the birdcage. ;)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Weedcat's technique was to safely hang back....far back... and observe. :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Meeko!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop! Lookin' snazzy!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Is this Zipper?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chickam Saturday Video 1! Chicken staredown!

A young Light Brahma chicken (turns out it was Honey) stares down the webcam. Cammed on 9/28/13. (VS: who is this?)

You can hear Weedcat crowing plus Bloop and Meeko made an appearance at the end. The video feed was super-choppy yesterday too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x64RgztMIY0

The video feed and chat kept giving me trouble yesterday, plus my Chrome browser kept freezing and crashing. I had to restart Chrome and fortunately I had the video recorder going and THIS image is what came up when the video feed resumed. The jiggling around is me trying to center the image in the video recorder.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 29, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chickam Saturday Video 2: Bobbing for Apples, Part 1

Apples have been hung on strings -- there are shiny, metal washers under each apple, to keep the apple on the string.

The chickens hang back, staring at the apples. Chickspicion! Then Fred (a young Light Brahma) comes over and tries his luck. Cam (a young, pale grey Giant Cochin) comes up and tries too. Video was cammed on 9/28/13.

VS: Can you identify anyone else who tries to get the apples? Who is the golden hen with the adorable, big floppy comb? :3:

Below: Fred and Cam (closest to front) stare at the Terror Apples! :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts8wBZKA2yk

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Thanks so much for the video notes, VS. I will add them to the Youtube video page. :)

I loved watching the chooks puzzle out how to get the tasty apples. I have more footage of the apple bobbing and will upload another video soon.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

What's the temperature there today? Might it be too cold for the equipment?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Ah well. That's okay. Thanks for trying!

If you end up giving the chickens a pumpkin treat, please snap and post a few pics. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Webcam is up and working -- it's a little laggy but tolerable. Pumpkin frenzy to come later on!

Fries walked by.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chooks in the sun (before the pumpkin came in). VS, who is this?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bow down to the Great Pumpkin! (VS, who is this?)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Nice close-up shot of Meeko. I have no idea just who has their entire head jammed into the pumpkin, but it's hilarious!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Meeko's beautiful feathers!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

It's been raining here this morning but it's clearing now, we should have the cam up shortly.

Puddles and mud for the chooks to stomp in! :dance: Any food treats on the menu today?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop was at the webcam, looking cute and begging for treats. ;)

The chooks are BORED and they want TREATS!!!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

A floppy comb makes a great sun hat (at least for one half of your face). Which hen is this again, VS? So cute! :3:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

HELLO! (I have no idea who this is.)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Crow-off between Bloop and Weedcat!

It looks cold, but the chickens seem to be sticking to the shaded areas. I guess their feathers keep them warm. :)

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 19, 2013

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I don't have any vids of the most recent applefest. :(

Also, Meeko has begun crowing, if you can call it that. It's a loud, single-note, drawn-out 'OOOOOOOOO...'
Weedcat and Bloop just look at him pityingly and carefully crow back, trying to teach him.

I don't know what we'll give them this weekend. Although I DO have some lemons. Maybe I'll hang 3 apples and one lemon and see who the smartest ones are. :keke:

LOL! I want to see Meeko being coached on his crowing! :3:

Also, I do have video of the second apple-bobbing, but the feed kept crapping out, so I only got a little bit. I'll look at the video tonight and see about putting some of it on Youtube.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Gah. Made an unpleasant discovery this morning when I went out to take down the old nasty burlap swamp cooler curtains on the chicken run...a whole BUNCH of the UV resistant, heavy-duty zip ties I used to bind the wire walls of the chicken run together when we built it have given up, the rest are brittle.

Not to mention some dumbbutt would have EATEN bits of that brittle plastic if it had crumbled and fallen into the run. :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

...and now the new computer tower, which tested perfectly yesterday, is being a butt. 12_String's workin' on it. *sigh*

The jack-o-lanterns are sitting outside the coop, being stared at by chickens.

LOL. Take a photo of the hungry chickens please! :)

Waiting for the cam!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bloop photobomb! And his tail in the center of the frame.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

CM Cluck finally makes an appearance to eat on the tops of the pumpkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

After the sun set, all the chickens suddenly went into the coop, leaving Doodad all alone and eating on a pumpkin. Then Meeko RAN out of the coop and over to Doodad, telling Doodad it was time to go to bed! They then both went into the coop. :)

Below: Meeko telling Doodad to get inside the coop where it's safe!

• Locked thread