Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1548766496729563139

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Blackhawks lowballed Olczyk and he is off to the Kraken.

https://twitter.com/MarkLazerus/status/1549128014851719168

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Blackhawks lowballed Olczyk and he is off to the Kraken.

https://twitter.com/MarkLazerus/status/1549128014851719168

Doesn't sound like a lowball. Per the Tribune and The Athletic, the Blackhawks offered a hefty pay increase. The wrinkle was that they wanted to pay Olczyk per game, as opposed to just a flat salary for the 82-game season, because he's always loving off to do national hockey broadcasts and do horse racing stuff for NBC.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Timby posted:

Doesn't sound like a lowball. Per the Tribune and The Athletic, the Blackhawks offered a hefty pay increase. The wrinkle was that they wanted to pay Olczyk per game, as opposed to just a flat salary for the 82-game season, because he's always loving off to do national hockey broadcasts and do horse racing stuff for NBC.

It was higher per game, but am overall pay it so not quite a lowball, but also pretty easy to see why Eddie would leave depending on how many games he'd miss.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pseudodragon posted:

It was higher per game, but am overall pay it so not quite a lowball, but also pretty easy to see why Eddie would leave depending on how many games he'd miss.

I think he missed about 15 - 20 games every year, between his national work for TNT / NBC and his horse racing stuff for NBC.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Timby posted:

It was for less money than he made last year. And they'd only commit to 2 years.

They hired some dumb consultants that are convincing them how to "bring in the young fans". It's why they forced Pat Foley out too and won't commit to Eddie. I would have probably just chosen to win hockey games and not protect child molesters but I don't have a fancy MBA.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

It was for less money than he made last year. And they'd only commit to 2 years.

They hired some dumb consultants that are convincing them how to "bring in the young fans". It's why they forced Pat Foley out too and won't commit to Eddie. I would have probably just chosen to win hockey games and not protect child molesters but I don't have a fancy MBA.

Pat Foley is 67, made his money and made it very clear he was ready to retire.

And I can't fault the Blackhawks for not wanting to pay Olczyk for 82 games when he misses 15 - 20 a year. I don't expect my employer to give me a paycheck if I'm off doing stuff for some other company.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Pat Foley is 67, made his money and made it very clear he was ready to retire.

And I can't fault the Blackhawks for not wanting to pay Olczyk for 82 games when he misses 15 - 20 a year. I don't expect my employer to give me a paycheck if I'm off doing stuff for some other company.

Eddie Olcyzk is just a pioneer for hyper working. that's the dream. we must not tear down a fellow laborer.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Niwrad posted:

They hired some dumb consultants that are convincing them how to "bring in the young fans".

there's your problem right there

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one way i would bring in young fans would be to not cover up sex crimes and therefore make everyone feel completely and utterly disgusting about the team's stanley cup championships.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

one way i would bring in young fans would be to not cover up sex crimes and therefore make everyone feel completely and utterly disgusting about the team's stanley cup championships.
Watch it turn out they assume that all young people have the attention spans of goldfish and thus would completely forget about them covering up numerous sex crimes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/YESNetwork/status/1546610992267812865

this is long but worth it for one of the best dumb claims I've heard from a sports radio jock in ages

This rules.

These re starting to get really good.

Rick fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 19, 2022

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Walt Williams is a strong Remembering some Guys guy

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/MintzGolf/status/1549380345665126412

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Charles going in front of a crowd, and telling all human rights advocates "gently caress all y'all" to a loud ovation

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

"I love you....but $80 million is $80 million"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Charles did good work for TNT but I am kinda ready for a post-Barkley basketball world. It'd be nice to replace him with someone who actually liked basketball.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I keep forgetting I've been in the same, extremely large room as Chuck and even watched him get off an elevator I was getting on, once. It was at a "feed the homeless" event so he's 4 Real when it comes to community stuff.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Charles did good work for TNT but I am kinda ready for a post-Barkley basketball world. It'd be nice to replace him with someone who actually liked basketball.

That show still entertains me and having seen the alternatives, I don't want him to leave.

Does LIV even have a TV deal? Like what are they even going to use Barkley for?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
that would suck for obvious reasons, but it would be funny to see how based Charles gets about US foreign policy when trying to justify why he's getting 9 figures from them.

hoping they bring some of the TNT production crew so they can play "what she get stoned for?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Niwrad posted:

That show still entertains me and having seen the alternatives, I don't want him to leave.

Does LIV even have a TV deal? Like what are they even going to use Barkley for?
They don’t currently have a TV deal

You have to go to their website to watch tournaments

https://twitter.com/chrisvannini/status/1549177370090913794?s=21&t=5vXxy3edK0H5n8RtFTRVwQ

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I still don't get why the Saudis didn't target MMA. You could buy up all the top fighters for a fraction of the cost and bring in all the celebrity voices you want too. Probably a fraction of the blowback because Dana White is a piece of poo poo too.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There are already problems between the Saudis and the United Arab Emirates, from where Fight Island is located. I doubt they want to make it worse.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Barkley still an infamously bad golfer? What does LIV want him for

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I still don't get why the Saudis didn't target MMA. You could buy up all the top fighters for a fraction of the cost and bring in all the celebrity voices you want too. Probably a fraction of the blowback because Dana White is a piece of poo poo too.

There was a lot of blowback from them buying WWE shows and Vince and the WWE are even shittier people than Dana/UFC.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

There was a lot of blowback from them buying WWE shows and Vince and the WWE are even shittier people than Dana/UFC.

Wrestling fans like the wrestlers and don't like bad things happening to them. UFC fans think UFC fighters are meatbags that dance for their entertainment.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Niwrad posted:

It'd take a long time to actually get those fighters since they're all under hosed up contracts with the UFC

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"What's closer Saudi Arabia or the moon?"

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
The UFC already has lucrative contracts through connections to Abu Dhabi and Russia/Dagestan. Trying to play ball with the haus of Saud isn’t really in their best interests.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Golf is just a way classier way to launder money and obfuscate your dirty books anyway.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Golf and WWE they're really going for it at all angles.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Golf and WWE they're really going for it at all angles.

There's also buying up soccer teams, have an F1 Grand prix as well. Tennis appears to be next on their list and that's pretty much all the major internationally relevant sports covered short of an Olympics or World Cup.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Didn’t a Saudi national buy a Premier League team

I don’t follow soccer much but I believe they did

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Didn’t a Saudi national buy a Premier League team

I don’t follow soccer much but I believe they did

Newcastle United

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
There were rumors that they would fund Valentino Rossi’s teams, but I’m not sure it made it past the rumor stage before the backlash got untenable for him. My hot take is Uccio was doing some shady poo poo behind Vale’s back, but I do so love a good Italian motorcycle racing drama story.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bit surprised the Saud's didn't try to buy the Broncos

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Henchman of Santa posted:

Newcastle United

https://twitter.com/Langas_1/status/1524799953989771266

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Newcastle United
Because they managed to convince the English FA that Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund was completely independent of the royal family, which :laffo:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

There were rumors that they would fund Valentino Rossi’s teams, but I’m not sure it made it past the rumor stage before the backlash got untenable for him. My hot take is Uccio was doing some shady poo poo behind Vale’s back, but I do so love a good Italian motorcycle racing drama story.

it wasn't backlash, it was good old fashioned grift in that case. included the quote "we have many princes" from another Saudi national.

and in more recent news, there are rumors that Saudi Aramco might be upping their investment in Aston Martin, the Formula 1 team they currently are a sponsor of. also rumors that they might invest in the car company too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CoreyECohen/status/1550204657682857984