Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
LHN is adding more original programming, including a thing about the 2008 football team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Edward Mass posted:

LHN is adding more original programming, including a thing about the 2008 football team.

Why 2008?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

AsInHowe posted:

Why 2008?

Well, firstly because it’s the tenth anniversary. The big thing is that it was the year Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma all had the same record in the Big 12 South and had a daisy chain of losses to each other, so the Big 12 went to the BCS to pick a division champ. It was a pretty exciting year all around college football, if I’m not mistaken.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Edward Mass posted:

Well, firstly because it’s the tenth anniversary. The big thing is that it was the year Texas, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma all had the same record in the Big 12 South and had a daisy chain of losses to each other, so the Big 12 went to the BCS to pick a division champ. It was a pretty exciting year all around college football, if I’m not mistaken.

Okay. Seemed like a random choice, as I don't remember it being a big Texas year.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

MourningView posted:

The only thing it has that I really want to watch is some FCS and midmajor football and man actually paying for Sun Belt football is a big ask, even as perhaps the world's biggest fan of the Sun Belt who did not actually attend school there

Most teams in the CAA stream their games online for free. So you can watch a bunch of school-produced FCS broadcasts with comically low production values and students in the broadcast booth. I find it charming, but ymmv.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ego symphonic posted:

Most teams in the CAA stream their games online for free. So you can watch a bunch of school-produced FCS broadcasts with comically low production values and students in the broadcast booth. I find it charming, but ymmv.

Would prefer a real conference like the Valley but I would definitely watch this if the games were on a Tuesday or something

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

MourningView posted:

Would prefer a real conference like the Valley but I would definitely watch this if the games were on a Tuesday or something

They also all get archived to watch on-demand so you can actually do just that. And JMU will win the natty again this year :colbert:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/bobleyespn/status/1029710454661234688?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If anyone deserves a break it's him.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Enough people complained about BeIN being dropped by Verizon that they reinstated it. Did that happen for Comcast too?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Comcast isn't dropping it in Big Ten states which are probably the only places where a significant number of people would notice or care enough to raise a fuss

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Gigi Galli posted:

Enough people complained about BeIN being dropped by Verizon that they reinstated it. Did that happen for Comcast too?

Not yet

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN+ picked up the FA Cup, which means that the final will go from airing live on broadcast FOX to a streaming paywall

I really, really hate this trend

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Who wants to help fund my startup, it's an app that manages all your streaming subscriptions and tells you what's on all of them in one easy place. It's called Kabyl, what do you think

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

ElwoodCuse posted:

Who wants to help fund my startup, it's an app that manages all your streaming subscriptions and tells you what's on all of them in one easy place. It's called Kabyl, what do you think

depends, did you go to Stanford or not

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Still better than Comcast

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Benne posted:

ESPN+ picked up the FA Cup, which means that the final will go from airing live on broadcast FOX to a streaming paywall

I really, really hate this trend

Is there not a provision where they can put it on the big ESPN? Because I think a midday ET kick-off at the end of May might actually draw viewers

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Is there not a provision where they can put it on the big ESPN? Because I think a midday ET kick-off at the end of May might actually draw viewers

I think the point is to get people to lure people toward ESPN+. Thursday Night Football would have done better ratings on network TV or major cable channels when it started, but NFL Network needed something to get cable companies to carry the channel.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Spend a moment on your Friday and enjoy the hell out of this story:

https://twitter.com/DennyBurkholder/status/1030514751204454402

Marty Brennaman owns so hard.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

Marty Brennaman owns so hard.

He really doesn't, he's insufferable.

But little known fact, Macho Man was, in fact, drafted by the Reds.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Totally shocked that Marge Schott would remove a Jew

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Click through for the video

https://deadspin.com/mlb-network-falls-for-joke-report-that-trevor-bauer-is-1828439637

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

And in further "two countries separated by a common language" news

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1031026720516784129

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/modestproposal1/status/1031654630642655232

lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I remember when someone said that eSports would be bigger than the NHL. They were dumb.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I thought it was cool :shobon:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I remember when someone said that eSports would be bigger than the NHL. They were dumb.

Sky Sports over here have been showing FIFA tournaments to fill the endless gaps on their football channels due to the summer break and I just have no idea why anyone would want to watch people watching people play a video game

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Edward Mass posted:

I'd imagine part of the long term problem with eSports will be just...different games. Sure, the big three/four and soccer have evolved and look a lot different than they did 80 years ago, but the games are still essentially the same game. My very senile grandfather could sit down and watch a baseball or basketball game with me when I was a kid and get it and still have his own opinions about how things were progressing.

A decade from now not a lot of people will be playing overwatch, let alone 30 years from now. So you'll lose connection to the past as a necessity with new flavors and varieties of games.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

or they're just targeting an audience that doesn't know what an espn is

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I have put about 20 hours into overwatch and they had it on the TV at the pizza place I was eating at. From sports bar TV distance, it was nearly unwatchable. Couldn't tell who was who or what the flow of the match was like. Audio may have helped but not much imo. There's no down and distance, shot clock, strike count or such to orient yourself so it's just chaos with occasional cuts to expressionless players wearing headphones

I could see this working if you could load in the matches in the client, and be able to control your own feed and views but it really doesn't grab me outside of that. At least with Twitch you've got the chat to fill in the blanks with salt emoticons

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do they do a camera detached from players or do they follow one players POV?

They should have a detached, omniscient camera.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I just have no idea why anyone would want to watch people watching people play a video game

I have no idea either. It seems like something incredibly monotonous and digitally anti-social. Why would I want to watch people play a video game when I could just play it? It isn't like the talent gap is that great from an average person to someone online, as opposed to a regular person and a professional athlete.

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine part of the long term problem with eSports will be just...different games. Sure, the big three/four and soccer have evolved and look a lot different than they did 80 years ago, but the games are still essentially the same game. My very senile grandfather could sit down and watch a baseball or basketball game with me when I was a kid and get it and still have his own opinions about how things were progressing.

A decade from now not a lot of people will be playing overwatch, let alone 30 years from now. So you'll lose connection to the past as a necessity with new flavors and varieties of games.

I could not tell you what Overwatch is. And I'm 30. eSports feels like one of those tech things that isn't really able to connect in the mainstream, but it's new and getting promoted, so it gets a lot of money disproportionately tossed its way.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZI6I56604

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I can't speak for Overwatch but Dota 2 (another game that has been broadcast on ESPN) typically switches between an omniscient view and player views. The problem is that a lot of the data that is useful for following the match isn't readily visible from a distance. (Kills, towers, ultimates for example)Not a good sports bar kinda game. I would not be surprised if Overwatch was similar.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

I have no idea either. It seems like something incredibly monotonous and digitally anti-social. Why would I want to watch people play a video game when I could just play it? It isn't like the talent gap is that great from an average person to someone online, as opposed to a regular person and a professional athlete.

the talent gap between joe gamer and a pro is huge

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

beggar posted:

I have put about 20 hours into overwatch and they had it on the TV at the pizza place I was eating at. From sports bar TV distance, it was nearly unwatchable. Couldn't tell who was who or what the flow of the match was like. Audio may have helped but not much imo. There's no down and distance, shot clock, strike count or such to orient yourself so it's just chaos with occasional cuts to expressionless players wearing headphones

I could see this working if you could load in the matches in the client, and be able to control your own feed and views but it really doesn't grab me outside of that. At least with Twitch you've got the chat to fill in the blanks with salt emoticons

Check out the free game DotA 2 this week because the biggest tournament of the year is happening right now and there is an option to watch in the client like you want. You can also pick any of the official broadcaster sound streams for commentary. There are also options to use your own camera, or a specific broadcaster's or any particular player you want.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

Do they do a camera detached from players or do they follow one players POV?

They should have a detached, omniscient camera.

Both, iirc.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dutchy posted:

the talent gap between joe gamer and a pro is huge

Yeah, immensely so. In a way that the weaker player is practically unable to even play/impact the game kind of huge.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Kibner posted:

Check out the free game DotA 2 this week because the biggest tournament of the year is happening right now and there is an option to watch in the client like you want. You can also pick any of the official broadcaster sound streams for commentary. There are also options to use your own camera, or a specific broadcaster's or any particular player you want.

I think the international has a great presence to it, those style of games aren’t for me but they do a good job to accommodate the viewer as you mentioned. I think in the arena they have a crazy jumbotron tactical map view for the live audience as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

TF2 had abysmal esports views because watching an FPS in first person is really difficult. Not shocking that TF2's ripoff successor has problems too.