Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Deadspin guys re-read the Simmons parts of Those Guys Have All the Fun and wrote a book report about it.

http://deadspin.com/the-sports-guy-vs-espn-how-bill-simmons-lost-bristol-1639533260

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

davecrazy posted:

The Deadspin guys re-read the Simmons parts of Those Guys Have All the Fun and wrote a book report about it.

http://deadspin.com/the-sports-guy-vs-espn-how-bill-simmons-lost-bristol-1639533260

A) the bulk of what I got from that is reaffirmation that Simmons is a massive tool.

B) I will never be able to take seriously a grown man who goes my Skipper, unless he is actively on the bridge of a seafaring vessel. No, it doesn't matter that it's actually his name.

C) seriously, Simmons is so big a tool he has a noticeable gravitational pull

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thaddius the Large posted:

B) I will never be able to take seriously a grown man who goes my Skipper, unless he is actively on the bridge of a seafaring vessel. No, it doesn't matter that it's actually his name.

It's his last name and he's also given Simmons more or less everything he's asked for in the past.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

The Federal Communications Commission voted 5-0 to eliminate its sports blackout rules Tuesday, but the NFL said that it doesn't plan to change the way its broadcasts are handled.

"NFL teams have made significant efforts in recent years to minimize blackouts," the NFL responded in a statement Tuesday. "The NFL is the only sports league that televises every one of its games on free, over-the-air television. The FCC's decision will not change that commitment for the foreseeable future."

The FCC vote eliminated rules that were implemented in 1975 to ensure that sports broadcasts would not hurt local ticket sales.

So we're just ignoring the Thursday night game then?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

So we're just ignoring the Thursday night game then?

It's on CBS now, at least for part of the season. Monday Night, on the other hand.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

MourningView posted:

It's on CBS now, at least for part of the season. Monday Night, on the other hand.

MNF is over the air in the local markets of the teams playing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

davecrazy posted:

MNF is over the air in the local markets of the teams playing.

So in Thursday, apparently! Huh. I had no idea, having never lived in a market with a team.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

whoops :downs: knew I was forgetting one

and I didn't know that about the local markets either. Toledo's in kind of a funny place because we're this weird hybrid where we can be a detroit market, or our own market, or a Cleveland market.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DJExile posted:

and I didn't know that about the local markets either. Toledo's in kind of a funny place because we're this weird hybrid where we can be a detroit market, or our own market, or a Cleveland market.

I'm pretty sure this might be one of the definitions of hell.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Great White Hope posted:

I'm pretty sure this might be one of the definitions of hell.

The only time we get any attention is for presidential elections because we're the main swing city in a swing state. It's as exciting as it sounds :suicide:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DJExile posted:

The only time we get any attention is for presidential elections because we're the main swing city in a swing state. It's as exciting as it sounds :suicide:

It's just as terrible in the Cleveland area. It wouldn't be as bad if 95% of ads weren't 'wow, here's a list of terrible things, vote for not that guy!' :smith:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

DJExile posted:

That reminds me, the one out of town exception is Milwaukee local stations are allowed to air Packer cable games because of the size of Green Bay.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

boring place with an unreasonable influence on the electoral process high five

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Ohio hasn't been as bad so far this year in terms of election ads since Ed FitzGerald is making GBS threads the bed more than anyone thought possible and pretty much nobody wants to associate themselves with him at this point.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Looks like the NBA is re-upping with ESPN and Turner. Details will be released tomorrow.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/09/08/Media/NBA-media.aspx

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
On that note, Deitsch has the details on TNT's top broadcast team. Apparently the big plan to replace Steve Kerr alongside Marv is...a rotation of three guys.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/10/05/turner-sports-steve-kerr-replacements-shelley-smith-breast-cancer

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Benne posted:

On that note, Deitsch has the details on TNT's top broadcast team. Apparently the big plan to replace Steve Kerr alongside Marv is...a rotation of three guys.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/10/05/turner-sports-steve-kerr-replacements-shelley-smith-breast-cancer

Actually Grant Hill and Chris Webber are both excellent and I wish Webber would replace Kerr fulltime

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Benne posted:

Looks like the NBA is re-upping with ESPN and Turner. Details will be released tomorrow.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/09/08/Media/NBA-media.aspx

According to twitter

Richard Sandomir ‏@RichSandomir
NBA to announce $24 billion/9 year deal w/ ESPN and TNT on Monday. Annual average value nearly 3x current deal.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Ramadu posted:

According to twitter

Richard Sandomir ‏@RichSandomir
NBA to announce $24 billion/9 year deal w/ ESPN and TNT on Monday. Annual average value nearly 3x current deal.

Best-case scenario for all parties involved.

Can't wait for the next NBA lockout when the CBA expires.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Cable television price hikes and the NBA: IT'S FANTASTIC!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Vertical Lime posted:

That reminds me, the one out of town exception is Milwaukee local stations are allowed to air Packer cable games because of the size of Green Bay.

I thought it was because the Packers played a couple home games a year there up until the 90s.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Coco13 posted:

I thought it was because the Packers played a couple home games a year there up until the 90s.
It's a bullshit "phantom clause" where the NFL bends the rules to their will.

For example, here in Los Angeles we are beyond the 120 mile blackout barrier to San Diego and Qualcomm but the NFL deemed that Los Angeles television signals "could" be received within that buffer contour over the air. This is something that was once potentially true in the analog days with troposphere and inversion layers and poo poo but next to impossible with the advent of the digital broadcast spectrum.

LA is deemed a Chargers "secondary market" by the NFL which employs most of the same rules as those in San Diego proper where blackout rules still apply.

It's just an example of the NFL moving the goal posts around to apply their end goal. If the Raiders were worth a poo poo over the past 20 years I would not be surprised to see the NFL apply "secondary market" status to LA despite being over 300 miles away from the venue.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That reminds me, with the government outlawing the NFL's blackout rules, would that stand to eventually change their market rules as well? Or is that an apples/oranges thing?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

DJExile posted:

That reminds me, with the government outlawing the NFL's blackout rules, would that stand to eventually change their market rules as well? Or is that an apples/oranges thing?

They didn't actually outlaw the NFL's blackout rules, they're still in effect. The NFL just can't tell the networks "the government says you have to" when it's time to negotiate a new TV deal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

They didn't actually outlaw the NFL's blackout rules, they're still in effect. The NFL just can't tell the networks "the government says you have to" when it's time to negotiate a new TV deal.

Aaaah OK that makes a lot more sense. I was wondering why so little attention seemed to be focused on it when the decision was made.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

Actually Grant Hill and Chris Webber are both excellent and I wish Webber would replace Kerr fulltime

Grant Hill is one of the most boring people alive but Webber is really good on color.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Grant Hill is one of the most boring people alive but Webber is really good on color.
Webber really seems like someone who should be a head coach for a front office guy but from what I've read he's not all that interested.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alright, which pairing is worse?

Buck/Aikman or Nantz/Simms.

I'm going with the CBS crew because it's just grating like all hel. Aikman is kind of a non-entity in terms of being annoying.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jim Nantz is the whitest motherfucker in broadcasting. Aikman and Simms basically never know what the gently caress. Buck is just boring and monotone as poo poo.

It's the CBS crew by a loving mile

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Buck is the annoying PBP guy and Simms is the grating color guy.

The worst pairing is Chris Myers and whoever sits next to Chris Myers.
It's unfortunate, but the color guy is guilty by association with loving Chris Myers.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Robnoxious posted:

Buck is the annoying PBP guy and Simms is the grating color guy.

The worst pairing is Chris Myers and whoever sits next to Chris Myers.
It's unfortunate, but the color guy is guilty by association with loving Chris Myers.

Chris Meyers is a dumbed down version of Bob Costas.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
The CBS team is way worse than the Fox team, which mostly has more to do with Phil Simms than either of the play-by-play guys. Simms is insanely bad.

The PBP guy I hate is Thom Brennaman. To me, Buck isn't even in the same universe when it comes to crappy announcers with famous sportscaster dads.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Buck and Aikman are loud and annoying but at least they don't lull me to sleep. Nantz and Simms are the worst.

Dutchy posted:

The PBP guy I hate is Thom Brennaman. To me, Buck isn't even in the same universe when it comes to crappy announcers with famous sportscaster dads.

This. Thom Brennaman is slow and dull and mispronounces names so often its mind blowing.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

Jim Nantz is the whitest motherfucker in broadcasting. Aikman and Simms basically never know what the gently caress. Buck is just boring and monotone as poo poo.

It's the CBS crew by a loving mile

The time I hate more is the one that is calling whatever game I'm currently watching. I'm praying sometime in the near future Burkhardt and Lynch get the top job on Fox.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I realize, nostalgia can kind of cloud one's vision, but I think when NBC had the AFC package, and Fox/CBS had the NFC? Both had a solid cast of commentators. I'm kind of mainly going off of old games that were hosted on youtube for a short time until the NFL did what they always do and yanked them down.

NBC? Dick Enberg was your lead guy, excellent choice. You also had Marv Albert, Charlie Jones, Don Criqui, Thom Hammond as your fallback guys.

Fox and CBS. Well, to begin at the top for both? Madden and Summerall were beyond belief good at what they did. There's a reason why Madden is so often mocked, and it's because he was good at being a color guy. For CBS you had Verne of course, and Dick Stockton, who I still consider quite solid.

I'll make a weird case here. I think Nantz seems more at home calling College Football for some reason. He seems quite a bit better calling a Clemson game from 1988, than in calling a Super Bowl.

The current teams seem like a mess from the top down really.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

commy gun posted:

Buck and Aikman are loud and annoying but at least they don't lull me to sleep. Nantz and Simms are the worst.

This. Thom Brennaman is slow and dull and mispronounces names so often its mind blowing.

Plus whenever he starts editorializing he's so smug and retarded that it's painful to listen to. Guys like Buck and Nantz can grate and say dumb crap but Brennaman is a fountain of dumb poo poo emerging from the most tedious, dull, incompetent, Build Your Own Sports Broadcaster imaginable.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It is a travesty that we don't have Gus Johnson calling NFL games each weekend.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Alright, which pairing is worse?

Buck/Aikman or Nantz/Simms.

I'm going with the CBS crew because it's just grating like all hel. Aikman is kind of a non-entity in terms of being annoying.

Joe Buck learned how to emote sometime in the last 10 years, and he's become one of the better play by play guys around. It's painful and terrible to have said that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Jim Nantz is the whitest motherfucker in broadcasting.

Nantz rating out Tiger Woods will never stop being hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hey guys, Joe Buck will be calling US Open golf next year. :suicide: