Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

For some reason I get the SEC Network in Chicago on the basic cable tier. They used to have the Pac-12 Network (which is depressing as gently caress) on it too but now that's only for the paid sports package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Xfinity offers Pac-12 Network on the standard tiers up here, though you gotta pony up to get BTN or SEC Network.

Right now I'm on one of their weird sports packages, which I only got for NFL RedZone. It has that, Goal Line, BTN, CBSSN and some random FSN regional channels I will never watch, but no ESPNU or SECN. Also I get beIN Espanol, but not beIN USA. Xfinity is loving weird.

Benne fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 28, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Niwrad posted:

For some reason I get the SEC Network in Chicago on the basic cable tier. They used to have the Pac-12 Network (which is depressing as gently caress) on it too but now that's only for the paid sports package.

SEC Network is owned by ESPN so they probably can push it.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Peanut President posted:

SEC Network is owned by ESPN so they probably can push it.

Yeah, I figured there was a lot of blackmail.

Verizon Fios here has the Big Ten network on the basic tier, the SEC Network on the expanded tier (and on the basic tier in Texas/Florida), but they've never had available the Pac 12 Network. I wonder how different the Pac 12 Network would have ended up if the partnered with an ESPN/Fox instead of going it alone.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

We keep talking about the sports rights bubble but for some reason I expect the networks to find a way to pay even more money next time around, then once again going OH gently caress WE SPENT WAY TOO MUCH MONEY a year or two later and doing even more poo poo to minimize staff.

Calling the Monday Night Football opener in 2022 will be the new SPORT-BOT 9000, live in-studio featuring the digitized voice of Keith Jackson.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Crazy Ted posted:

Calling the Monday Night Football opener in 2022 will be the new SPORT-BOT 9000, live in-studio featuring the digitized voice of Keith Jackson.

Unironically into this if it gets us Vin Scully.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The problem is, you can only cut so much. Eventually this will become too much. If ESPN is already buckling, it's probably only a matter of time before the others follow.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Has anyone listened to Katie Nolan's podcast? I like it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Craig Sager is back :unsmith:

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Muddy Burphy posted:

Has anyone listened to Katie Nolan's podcast? I like it.

She was on Lana Berry's podcast yesterday, too, and it was pretty rad. It's basically a sports comedy show where they do hard hitting commentary like how to correctly pronounce "butthole", and try to figure out whether various athletes are fat-fat or muscled-fat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

One step closer to the automated weather station voice calling games.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Sash! posted:

Make it the Bell Telephone Time Lady because, gender equality and all.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Robnoxious posted:

Make it the Bell Telephone Time Lady because, gender equality and all.

Well obviously one does play by play while the other is color commentary

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Some fantastic self-awareness from Gus Johnson last night

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Sash! posted:

During tonight's game there is a [70%] chance of bad officiating.

edit: Hell get Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe. They're pretty cheap if Sega Sports could afford them.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 30, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peanut President posted:

edit: Hell get Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe. They're pretty cheap if Sega Sports could afford them.

Those were voice actors. :ssh:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Timby posted:

Still probably more knowledgeable about football than Phil Simms at this point.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Colin Cowherd is hot garbage come to life and given a dye job.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Trast posted:

Colin Cowherd is hot garbage come to life and given a dye job.

I agree, but what did he do this time?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Timby posted:

They're real! *runs away sobbing*

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Muddy Burphy posted:

I agree, but what did he do this time?

Probably this: http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/colin-cowherd-jim-harbaugh-costume-friends-again-michigan-wolverines-103015

Nothing about the clip is funny, he's a real turd and I'm glad he's one step closer to irrelevancy.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Timby posted:

Really, though, is that any different than actual commentators?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Lost in all the Grantland news is that ESPN is delaying the creation of an ACC Network. Sounds right given the current cable climate:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/acc-network-launch-pushed-back-further-at-espns-request.html

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I can see the reasoning behind networks for the SEC, Big Ten, and PAC-12. I can't see it for an ACC Network unless it's gonna be really focused on basketball.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

Really, though, is that any different than actual commentators?
poo poo they were plenty good enough for me when I played 2K.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
E: wrong thread

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This must be a first: Stephen A. Smith has taken over the SportsCenter anchor desk in order to cover the breaking news about the terror attacks in Paris.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crazy Ted posted:

This must be a first: Stephen A. Smith has taken over the SportsCenter anchor desk in order to cover the breaking news about the terror attacks in Paris.

the gently caress is Bob Ley even still there for if not these sorts of situations where you need a trustworthy grown up voice

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

the gently caress is Bob Ley even still there for if not these sorts of situations where you need a trustworthy grown up voice
Because he's in St. Louis covering tonight United States men's international soccer game. He's a lifelong soccer guy. I keep forgetting this but he got his start in sports covering the old NASL 40-45 years ago, before Pele had even arrived.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

Has he said the French provoked it yet?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
How old is Bob Ley? He seemingly hasn't aged a day in the ~15 years I've been watching ESPN.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Benne posted:

How old is Bob Ley? He seemingly hasn't aged a day in the ~15 years I've been watching ESPN.
Believe it or not, he's somewhere around 60 years old.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Somewhere, somebody said the words "Let's get Stephen A. Smith to do it", in regards to a terror attack that killed hundreds. And nobody objected. Incredible.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Andres Cantor has signed an extension with Telemundo and will call the next two World Cups for them

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Benne posted:

Believe it or not, he's been with the network since he was 24 (I believe he's something like employee #3). In addition to being one of the few Republicans at the network, he lives an extremely clean life, which is probably a huge factor in how he still has his babyface at his age.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Timby posted:

Believe it or not, he's been with the network since he was 24 (I believe he's something like employee #3). In addition to being one of the few Republicans at the network, he lives an extremely clean life, which is probably a huge factor in how he still has his babyface at his age.

tbf extremely clean life by ESPN's early standards was only a three-digit blow budget and only sexually harassing two or less colleagues a week, but yeah. He's one of the good ones.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

This is a good thing. I watched the Women's World Cup almost exclusively on Telemundo even though I understand about 2 years worth of high school Spanish which is to say, I don't understand a lick of it.
The Spanish commentators for soccer just have more passion and drive in their calls versus the morgue FOX trots out.

Also, the Letterman clip with Andres on that page is just classic random Dave.
The audience ate it all up too.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 18, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ray Ferraro got to interview his son Landon during tonight's bruins game :unsmith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ahh gently caress...stand by for poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Really great moment between Popovich and Craig Sager last night