Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Good job NCAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good job NCAA.

It's not on them, it's a combination of the playoff committee and Disney. Didn't help that the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl refused to change their time slots. mostly on the committee though.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah, there was this article from about a year ago on how ESPN didn't want to be in this scenario:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2015/01/26/Events-and-Attractions/CFP.aspx

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Good job with your new tradition, Bill Hancock

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

DJExile posted:

Didn't help that the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl refused to change their time slots.

Why is it on the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl to abandon their own scheduling and damage their own legacies for the sake of some NCAA gimmick?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Why is it on the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl to abandon their own scheduling and damage their own legacies for the sake of some NCAA gimmick?

Nobody has genuinely given a poo poo about the rose bowl or their legacy since the USC dynasty died. That being said, the committee could have easily moved these games to Saturday, with no NFL competition and against some bowls that don't matter one bit. For some reason they wanted to create a new tradition of playing games that matter during times that literally nobody is watching TV.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DJExile posted:

Nobody has genuinely given a poo poo about the rose bowl or their legacy since the USC dynasty died. That being said, the committee could have easily moved these games to Saturday, with no NFL competition and against some bowls that don't matter one bit. For some reason they wanted to create a new tradition of playing games that matter during times that literally nobody is watching TV.

I absolutely still care about the Rose Bowl, and care about it more than any other bowl. If there's been any tarnish on its legacy it's been trying to accommodate the NCAA's post season over the years instead of just being what it is.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/01/01/college-football-playoff-viewership-new-years-eve-decline-espn

Viewership numbers:

Last season's Rose: 28.16 million viewers
Last season's Sugar: 28.27 million
This season's Orange: 15.64
This season's Cotton: 18.55

You don't drop on average 39% and take it lying down

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/01/01/college-football-playoff-viewership-new-years-eve-decline-espn

Viewership numbers:

Last season's Rose: 28.16 million viewers
Last season's Sugar: 28.27 million
This season's Orange: 15.64
This season's Cotton: 18.55

You don't drop on average 39% and take it lying down
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what ESPN will do.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Rick posted:

I absolutely still care about the Rose Bowl, and care about it more than any other bowl. If there's been any tarnish on its legacy it's been trying to accommodate the NCAA's post season over the years instead of just being what it is.

To keep it "what it is" would require the PAC and Big to agree to never win a national title again.

The "BCS National Title Game", even before the playoff, did more to damage the bowls because it made the big four games consolation prizes.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
John Skipper really should be fired for the Monday Night Football and College Playoff contracts alone.

Monday Night Football somehow wrote a contract where they get an awful game over the half the time, cannot do anything about it, and pay over twice as much for their game as NBC, who gets the best game of the week.

They pay $500 million a year for these college football games and can't even control when they are played. How do they let that happen? They let a bowl game where one team is up 35 points in under 20 minutes of gametime control when the playoff games get played. Ridiculous. New Year's Eve? The only Holiday less negotiable with your girlfriend or spouse is Valentine's Day. And it is going to happen 6 more times!

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 2, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Nobody has genuinely given a poo poo about the rose bowl or their legacy since the USC dynasty died.

I saw about 80,000 people who paid thousands of dollars to travel halfway across the country yesterday who would probably disagree a bit. I wish no one cared, maybe then I'd feel way less lovely today.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 2, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1/1/17 is a Sunday and no one's suicidal enough to go up against the NFL, so don't go making NYE plans again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MourningView posted:

I saw about 80,000 people who paid thousands of dollars to travel halfway across the country yesterday who would probably disagree a bit. I wish no one cared, maybe then I'd feel way less lovely today.

Yea of all the bowls I'd say you probably have the hardest sell convincing me no one gives a poo poo about the rose bowl still. People went hardcore for that and that's enough for them and the sugar bowl to have the clout to pull this stuff long into the future.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

C. Everett Koop posted:

1/1/17 is a Sunday and no one's suicidal enough to go up against the NFL, so don't go making NYE plans again.

The only time they're going to be on New Years day if it's one of the years where the Rose Bowl is hosting a semi-final. (next scheduled for 2018 and 2021)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

ElwoodCuse posted:

To keep it "what it is" would require the PAC and Big to agree to never win a national title again.

The "BCS National Title Game", even before the playoff, did more to damage the bowls because it made the big four games consolation prizes.

I guess to me the National Championship is just not that big of a deal. It's been mostly a mess during my lifetime.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

Weirdly I'm pretty sure the Rose Bowl was actually avoiding Sunday before the NFL was even a thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

Weirdly I'm pretty sure the Rose Bowl was actually avoiding Sunday before the NFL was even a thing.

The Rose Parade has been avoiding Sundays before the Rose Bowl game was actually a thing

he isn't wrong though

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Better set up would be:

December 31
Peach Bowl

January 1
Rose Bowl
Sugar Bowl

January 2
Cotton Bowl
Orange Bowl

January 3
Fiesta Bowl

boom. You can move the title a game a week back or something, but I think it's best if they just follow this format. Historically this is generally how the set up was anyways.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

ayn rand hand job posted:

The Rose Parade has been avoiding Sundays before the Rose Bowl game was actually a thing

he isn't wrong though

I thought the final rotated between the bowl sites? Why is "Tampa" on there?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Peanut President posted:

I thought the final rotated between the bowl sites? Why is "Tampa" on there?

Cities are actually bidding on the championship a la the Super Bowl. Detroit tried and failed for 2019.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Continued cord cutting from millennials made drat sure ESPN's viewing numbers would go into the toilet. Not to mention, that same age bracket is jet set on going out to party and get some New Year's strange on their hanglow. It was always a recipe for failure but I'm just a schmuck with only two eyeholes and not some highly paid executive who ultimately green-lit this clusterfuck.

Should have thrown ABC a bone or two, guys. Your loss.

ESPN no longer has the de-facto clout it thinks it has to broadcast all of the big bowl games and is a concrete reason why the Superbowl will be on broadcast television for many MANY years to come.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Robnoxious posted:

Continued cord cutting from millennials made drat sure ESPN's viewing numbers would go into the toilet. Not to mention, that same age bracket is jet set on going out to party and get some New Year's strange on their hanglow. It was always a recipe for failure but I'm just a schmuck with only two eyeholes and not some highly paid executive who ultimately green-lit this clusterfuck.

ESPN no longer has the de-facto clout it thinks it has to broadcast all of the big bowl games and is a concrete reason why the Superbowl will be on broadcast television for many MANY years to come.

Yeah, I've never been more than a passing college football fan, but I'm one of those millennial turds who gave up cable and satellite, so the lack of (legal) digital availability meant barely any bowl games for me, just what's on ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX. Kind of stinks, I'd totally watch ESPN games if they were readily available, but I'm not shelling out that kind of money for such limited use. If it were a subscription option like HBO I'd be all over that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Robnoxious posted:

No bullshit, I think there's Congressional legislation that said the Super Bowl was an "event of public interest" and therefore had to be on network tv or something like that.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Robnoxious posted:

The problem wasn't "Millennials going out on New Year's Eve," it was "people who work on a Thursday afternoon"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Benne posted:

The problem wasn't "Millennials going out on New Year's Eve," it was "people who work on a Thursday afternoon"

Yeah cord cutting didn't hurt this nearly as bad as the decision to put the #1 team in the country on TV when drat near nobody could watch it, especially outside the eastern time zone. If I was a sooner fan i'd have been pissed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DJExile posted:

Yeah cord cutting didn't hurt this nearly as bad as the decision to put the #1 team in the country on TV when drat near nobody could watch it, especially outside the eastern time zone. If I was a sooner fan i'd have been pissed.

On the west coast it basically meant skipping dinner with the wife, on what is basically a holiday, to watch football.

Not gonna happen, and that was the stupidest loving choice ever.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Robnoxious posted:

The other day, I was talking to my mom and she asked when Penn State's bowl game was on so she could watch it. We got talking about football on TV and she straight up said she thought they'd stopped doing Monday Night Football ( :stare: ) because she didn't see the game on the channel guide any more. That...surprised me.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

The other day, I was talking to my mom and she asked when Penn State's bowl game was on so she could watch it. We got talking about football on TV and she straight up said she thought they'd stopped doing Monday Night Football ( :stare: ) because she didn't see the game on the channel guide any more. That...surprised me.

This does not shock me nearly as much as it should.

Back to the NYE games..I didn't even think about the work thing. I left the office at 3pm on Thursday and we were closed Friday but there were a few people who still stayed here well past 5 in accounting and I had plenty of friends who worked later in the day on Thursday. It's like these idiotic TV execs are all ancient fossils who are stuck in the 80s where every business in the universe shut down the week of Christmas and didn't reopen until after New Years.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

People worked, it was a night a ton of people go out and the games sucked. I don't think the numbers will always be that bad, but it's a stupid idea nonetheless.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Why were there all those low-tier bowl games on during the afternoon on days that basically no one had off?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think there was so many bowls on that they went ahead and pushed some earlier in the day.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's been exactly one year since Stuart Scott died. Watch this new video tribute from his daughters, then cry.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

iwentdoodie posted:

On the west coast it basically meant skipping dinner with the wife, on what is basically a holiday, to watch football.

Basically a holiday? I feel like New Year's Eve is in the top 3 least negotiable holiday list with your spouse/partner/date to gently caress off and watch football. You can even get away with it on Thanksgiving and Christmas because you're "watching it with the family" but New Year's Eve is a defacto locked down date night.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ribsauce posted:

Basically a holiday? I feel like New Year's Eve is in the top 3 least negotiable holiday list with your spouse/partner/date to gently caress off and watch football. You can even get away with it on Thanksgiving and Christmas because you're "watching it with the family" but New Year's Eve is a defacto locked down date night.

Yeah, so long as I live in a city there is pretty much no chance I'm going to watch football on NYE. Maybe when I have kids and stay at home more, but until then I have poo poo to do and fun to have.

Also, agree that the Rose Bowl is still meaningful. I grew up a west coast football fan, and I know some old Cal fans who would in some senses prefer a Rose Bowl berth to a BCS playoff berth. The history matters there.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
People over 25 actually go out on NYE?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's an olds-friendly holiday, almost always a built in day off the next day and very little on TV, and generally light work loads for a lot of people. I'd guess you probably don't see a lot of people at whatever age people typically have young children, but after it spikes back up in other age groups.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mahoning posted:

Wife and I generally go out for dinner, then relax at home.

So sports aren't part of that.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Mahoning posted:

It's one of the few non family holidays so yes it's a evening when almost everyone goes out at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Mahoning posted:

To a friend's house, yes. Or if you stay in you're watching the New Year's show most likely, not football. It is a big time friends holiday.

I mean I'm sure plenty of people can still watch football, I know I would be able to if I really wanted to, but it is reasonable to expect at least 25% of people who would normally want to watch it would have other plans without much wiggle room.