Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Everything you need to know about Joe Buck is summed up in his disgust for Randy Moss fake mooning the Packers crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This is my favorite video from Onion Sports ever. And I think it is completely relevant.

http://www.theonion.com/video/ngyuen-thi-buch-thuy-just-give-me-the-drat-sepak-t,14207/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

BIZORT posted:

The overseas one is spectacular. Great quality, NFL Network and Redzone, and archives. Even Redzone broadcasts are archived.

It is somewhat ironic that my friends who were living in Japan and Korea had better online viewing packages than of those available for me in the states.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Fox Sports knows its not going to dethrone ESPN any time soon. I've talked to a friend who works at Fox Sports right now. It's a marathon not a race and they're still definitely working the kinks out of shows and figuring out what people respond to.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I haven't watched a pregame show since around 2009 and my life is better because of it. Also living on the west coast is a curse and a blessing. I'm a fat slob so I like sleeping in. So sometimes a Sunday 10am wake up is too early. But it's nice to have the 2nd game slate done and its only 3:30pm.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
WHAT. Sharpe is gone? So sad!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

Did he do something cool I somehow missed that everyone loves him for now? Because that dude is loving horrible on TV. He is literally bad at talking.

No you misunderstand. I don't watch an Pre-game shows. I hate them all. But the highlight of seeing some random clip that gets uploaded/highlighted by the internet was Sharpe's completely incoherent blabbering that barely passed as English. It was hilarious.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

WEREWAIF posted:

It's like they subconsciously realize that Sportscenter is an obsolete show and cooked up this massive ridiculous studio as a reaction.

People don't care about contextless highlights anymore, they can check exactly which games they care about online and get a comprehensive picture from any of a billion bloggers.

So they turn up the bombast and hope that their aging demographic leaves ESPN on while they're snoring in worn out recliners.

It's not an obsolete show.

There are people out there that want want contextless highlights. But they actually want the highlights. As opposed to highlight two baseball games from the night and spend two minutes each on them. Then the remaining 8 games that happened that night, only two more get highlighted and its 10 second packages, and the remaining six are just ignored.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I've bitched about this in the past but basically Sportscenter was once just a highlight show. Then it started adding "analysis" and opinion segments. It also started adding culture segments and random interviews as well. So ESPN News became the place to just get the straight dope. Then, that basically took on Sportscenters worst traits. So now there isn't an all encompassing highlight show. You have to watch the specific shows that cover single sports.

I don't really mind that they do all this other stuff, but it would be great if they just ran a straight highlight show in the morning and maybe one at night. Just an hour block of what happened and thats it. One of the most absurd things that has happened at ESPN is how when they signed their most recent contract with the NFL it included language that mandated hundreds upon hundreds of hours more than what already was occurring of NFL coverage. I'm a massive NFL fan but its kind of absurd how much NFL stuff they shove down our throats.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Getting put on the chopping block that fast is pretty ridiculous.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They've kept Terry Bradshaw as in studio talent despite his inability to speak cogently for the past decade.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I disagree. It should have been Chris Collinsworth. It appears the Internet has been scrubbed of his old interview where he talks about getting drinks in ladies.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The implication may be that there is a group of men. So determining paternity of the child would be difficult if Pam Oliver did in fact participate in a series or even a group of sexual partners.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pam Oliver talks some smack. Talks moving on.

http://www.essence.com/2014/09/04/pam-oliver-game-change

Pam Oliver posted:

The business is very demographic-oriented. As one executive said to me, Fox Sports will look radically different in the coming years. I assume that means they want to look younger. It’s not difficult to notice that the new on-air people there are all young, blond and “hot.” That’s not to say that Erin isn’t capable. I think she’s very capable. She’s also popular on Twitter and social media, so I can see how that would also make her highly sought after. Still, covering the NFL is a big deal. Stations like ABC and NBC entrust their programming to veterans. So when people talk about all networks making a turn to a particular type of girl on the sidelines, it doesn’t hold water.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I mean its true but also ugly and hypocritical of fox. WE NEED HOT BLONDES!

What else do the kids like these days? Oh, okay put Regis Philibin on the air!

E: I always missed Max Kellerman.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Very odd to think that I felt as though Scott represented a lot of what was changing and hurting ESPN. I.E. The transition from a news reporting place to entertainment place. I grew up watching sportscenter and when I skipped or was home in the summer I'd watch it 4 times in a row in the morning.

I was surprised how sad this made me. But I think it shows how ESPN was and still is a part of my life. And having a guy like Scott in no small way be part of my life for the past couple decades.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Badfinger posted:

That's very cool.

It also highlights what I hate about the NFL Network highlights. Shut up and stop saying random poo poo while Rich Eisen is trying to talk. Yes we all know he's doing Stuart Scott's stuff.

Haha yes. It's annoying all the time. Stop interrupting and talking over poo poo.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
BIll Simmons had Gus Ramsay on his podcast today after the picks with Cousin Sal and they talk about Stu a bit. Got a bit emotional too for Gus. Scott sounded like a real class act.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Mahoning posted:

It's a sick burn but I can't get over the fact that Sportscenter anchors probably shouldn't be calling out famous people left and right. For no other reason than they're loving nerds who think they have a platform to be a comedian because Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, and Stuart Scott were actually doing some fresh and funny things 20 years ago.

I saw the segment where he burned Iggy Azalea and it wasn't funny. It was some segment that belongs on a lovely E! Network TV show that airs past midnight. I'm so happy I never watch Sportscenter, it must be so bad.

I completely agree. Thought it was really stupid because then this whole thing become a story too which inevitably will be commented on by other ESPN personalities. It's the every lasting push and pull of entertainment, being the story/reporting on it, but it just felt stupid to me.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Based on the articles I've been seeing recently, this is probably less about Olbermann himself and more that he costs too much money for ESPN right now.

Yeah. Was about to say the same thing. The licensing fees are getting a bit absurd but at the same time, all the leagues probably think they can sell directly to fans and they aren't totally wrong.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Retail Slave posted:

Adam Schefter decided it was an absolutely fabulous idea to post Jason Pierre-Paul's medical records online for all the world to see.

ESPN legal is probably making GBS threads bricks right now.

Someone in the NFL thread was saying about something in the CBA means you sort of waive your HIPAA rights...but I feel like that is impossible and also bullshit. But who knows.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Robnoxious posted:

To a certain extent yes but there is a tipping point when consumers will push back and say "No, I'm done paying more and more each month solely because of sports." ESPN's rights to the leagues they air is what is sendimg KO out on his rear end this time around. It's all about money and the Mouse is tightening it's purse and weathering the storm. ESPN could just make every cable subscriber in the land pony up $8/month to cover, but now that many cable cos are offering skinny cable tiers that leave ESPN out entirely the Mouse knows drat well they are on a very short leash with subscribers as it is. Especially those subscribers like Granny Gums that hasn't watched a sporting event since the Brooklyn Dodgers played.

I think you're arguing a different point? Unless I'm reading this wrong.

I'm saying that all the major leagues in North America offer a direct buy opportunity for consumers even if you don't have cable or satellite. And with blackout rules seemingly on their way out (sooner rather than later) it is becoming viable for a fan of say, the NBA to simply buy League Pass and enjoy watching it through a Roku box or their PS4 rather than signing up for a cable/satellite service.

ESPN has a lot of leverage but at the same time I have to imagine their worried as hell that everyone (the leagues) will just offer direct service.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Robnoxious posted:

Oh, I totally understand your point about a direct to consumer service. But as it stands those services make up a small but dedicated following. Cable is still king and will be for the foreseeable future.

The services offered by the NFL and MLB and even NHL are set up for diehard fans of those leagues. The average sports watching Joe doesn't have time nor the money to pony up that kind of bread for a league they may only casually watch.

Ah I gotcha. You're certainly right, but I think the amount of people starting to cut the cord so to speak is growing. Anecdotally I know that a person like my dad would probably pay direct to watch NFL games if it all games eventually went to cable as opposed to over the air on a couple big networks.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Agree completely. However for lots of fans of their respective teams who live in different markets it mostly comes down to how much disposable income one actually has. For example my friend is only a very very casual MLB fan, specifically the twins. He bought the MLB TV package because 80 dollars really isn't poo poo and then if he ever wants to catch a game he has the option and now he just has a random game on when he works from home. Obviously a very specific test case, but I think out of market fans, especially of smaller market teams who won't get many national games it can be a real blessing that still ends up being cheaper than purchasing the super deep cable/sat. package.

Granted, we're pretty much agreeing here, but I think the next 3-5 years will be very interesting in terms of how the respective leagues work on their streaming options.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Colin Cowherd = Jon Stewart.

Glad he's off teh air but yeah, would love it if Fox pulled their offer. I actually enjoy reading the comments about this one. Further pussification of America is the refrain.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The problem is Cowherd really really sucks and isn't remotely funny either.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Found a video of Colin Cowherd really going off on the city of New York.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgL_5QcZCMo

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Niwrad posted:

It really seems like ESPN got hosed on the MNF deal. If I remember right from the book, the guy the NFL used to negotiate the TV deal was a former ESPN employee with a grudge. Not only did he get them to pay a fortune, he followed it up by cutting the NBC deal and giving them the best games and killing their Primetime show.

When you say book, do you mean Those Guys Have All The Fun? Is that worth a read?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Crazy Ted posted:

They'd have statistical leaders too.

Another one of early ESPN's selling points: they'd shrink the screen a bit and put a score crawler at the bottom of at :28 and :58 after the hour.

Changing the subject: can we discuss how crazy sports intros used to be?

GRAPHICS! LASERS! NEON! DISCO MUSIC!

They're still insane. Focus on all the bumpers/transitions on a broadcast. For example, I think ESPN's college football grpahic packages are obsessed with a weird Condo building aesthetic. Where each team has a huge flag hanging on a condo. And then transitions are like a highway overpass crossing thing. Its really funny once you pay attention to the weird laser etching and metal piping stuff.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Fox sports does have pac-12 so at least they have a good number of college games. The issue right now is they're too split with certain sports.

Right now NBCSN has in my view the better long term future versus fox. They just locked up the EPL which is definitely a growth property in the USA through 2021. It's annoying if you like European soccer though because Fox has UEFA Champions league matches and I believe they're doing Bundesliga too. On that end, Fox soccer channel splits duty with ESPN on MLS which is also a growing league.

That said NBCSN is kind of grabbing up the smaller stuff with hockey and more motorsports stuff. It's kind of a confusing second tier landscape though. Ratings are up at Fox Sports 1 though compared with last year. I'm basically all for more competition.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If fox sports takes a few more chances on low cost programming that could bloom into long term fans I think they could do well. I'm specifically thinking of Katie Nolan's show Garbage Time. I guarantee that show costs very little but it's an alternative to loud idiotic old guys yelling.

But yeah it ultimately comes down to the sports. And what they offer isn't awesome. Their biggest feather in the cap seems to be MLB playoffs.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Niwrad posted:

I wonder if she would have been better off taking less money and going to Grantland. Short term financial hit but long term she'd have gotten much more exposure. Does FS1 even advertise her show?

I really don't think she'd be getting more exposure on Grantland. They do a horrible job promoting the video stuff they do.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
ESPN is stuck in a hard place because people want their sports and they don't want someone else to grab them.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Anals of History posted:

That's fair. Maybe a better way to put it is that we haven't seen them figure out a way to improve revenues just yet. It's hard to tell what's happening to increase money coming in aside from draining Draft Kings' advertising budget for as long as they could.

I do wonder if ESPN was making a conscious effort to blow their money on amortizable expenses so they could drain the budget and justify the later firings. Like, it blows my mind (even though it really shouldn't) that no one at ESPN thought technology might mess with how they do things. It's hard to rationalize the over-extension otherwise.

The thing to me though is that ESPN can sort of also just ride this out. Obviously slowly bleeding money isn't good for business, but they're still the A number 1 big dog on the block. They've got backing from the mouse and they're making cuts right now. Its simultaneously a bit dire, but also no time to panic either. I feel like they're just trying to stabilize...though I do feel like that new studio was kind of loving insane. I'm also kind of surprised they didn't make the decision to maybe move more of their production out of Bristol. Like, setup a new studio in Los Angeles or something.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ayn rand hand job posted:

They reworked the LA studio a few years after they did DC2.

I was thinking more moving the braintrust out of Bristol and dropping it in a bigger media market.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
To me it's ridiculous that Fox Sports doesn't do a hockey show. Like, once a week 30 minutes. Hockey fans like hockey content. They hired Jay And Dan...hockey guys. Might as well use the talent rather than relegating hockey highlights on FSLive to the last half of the show.

Basically if you're going to be second banana to ESPN anyways, might as well own the 2nd tier people.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 10, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

The immediate highlight videos on the website are almost always some like 20th string ESPNNews person you've never seen on TV as far as I can tell

Also a lot of times they don't even post the actual broadcast highlight, so they force you to watch the lovely read.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also cause Walter Payton was cool and awesome and the 72 dolphins are a bunch of dumbasses.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
They're getting their own show that will likely fill that slot. Ask me anything. I worked on Live and am likely out of a job on the 15th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

what are they gonna do after ufc fights on fs1? what's the postfight gonna be like

Still unclear but we'll know more this week.

As of February 15th Fox Sports Live is no more. Jay and Dan are getting their own show which will run 5 nights a week that will fill the FSLive slot. Its still not totally decided what the show will be like. IF it will still have highlights as a focus or more free form. The department I work in, highlights, still feeds video to a lot of shows including Cowherd's, the college basketball coverage, soccer, and later in the year baseball. So I imagine they'll retain some people...because you need people to sift through the mountains games that happen every day.

They're definitely moving to the more idiotic HOT TAKES central...as far as UFC post fight, UFC is kind of their own thing. They have their own team of editors and producers and I'm sure you'll still get the same post fight coverage that you're used to. The only difference is instead of rolling from a fight into a UFC post fight into LIVE you may just get more UFC post fight coverage and then it dumps into a random show like TMZ or just a repeat of something from earlier the day.