Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Fox Sports' marketing strongly suggests that they think the problem with ESPN is that it's too serious and smart, which is kind of baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

Joe Buck doesn't suck because he's monotone, Pat Summerall was monotone and he was great. Joe Buck sucks because his utter contempt for everything going on in front of him is so obvious.

I never liked Summerall much for the same reason. He'd have caught a lot of the same sort of poo poo if he hadn't been paired with someone so beloved. Plus by the time internet criticism of announcers became a thing he was already either gone or very close to being on the way out, so he'd already become an institution because of how long he'd been around and the video game.

LordPants posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, the best second best third best thing on tv cable Espn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS9_59n4K4

(Tony works out)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292U2w6LHdk

(Tony changes a water cooler)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVanUDlvByM

(Tony picks up lunch for everyone... from security downstairs.)

I'm not sure why I do like Tony but I do. Maybe because he's an idiot, I don't know, but I think he's great and used to listen to his Radioshow and PTI every day. His radio show is great because he gets a succession of really smart people and asks really dumb questions to them, but dumb in a good way, not an annoying way.

The most amazing thing about PTI is that it seems like the relationship between Reali and Kornheiser, and Kornhieser and Wilbon is exactly the same off camera and on camera.

I also really like that surreal one with the guy and his dad who laughs in a really awesome way.

I haven't regularly watched it in years but there was a time when this was legitimately my favorite show on TV. Like I'd DVR it every single day during football season when I had practice late so I'd never miss an episode. They tend to have pretty awful sports opinions, but they're both fairly entertaining personalities (especially Tony) and the chemistry between them is great and really carries the show. Unfortunately the show also has kind of destroyed ESPN because the lesson they took from its success is that they need more people shouting at each other.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 19, 2013

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That show was the weirdest loving thing when it first started out and it was just Dan and his dad who barely watched sports or understood what was going on hanging out in his kitchen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Total pro aside from all those female coworkers he sexually harassed, yes.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quest For Glory II posted:

COLOR COMMENTATORS, on the other hand, yikes. I dont know how they can be so good at finding people to call the games and so bad at finding people to analyze them. There's nothing pleasant beyond the A teams (Gruden, Herbstreit).

I think Chris Speilman is best color guy in any sport. They have some good basketball guys too, most notably Bilas.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah Walton now that he's in full on don't give a gently caress mode is really funny. I liked when they let him do some Pac-12 games this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

What's SAS consensus on Little League World Series coverage?

I personally find it really obnoxious and annoying.

I recall once being really annoyed it once overshadowed the opening week of college football once.

It's really weird.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also the nonstop talk about how Pure and For The Right Reasons it is makes me want to hate a bunch of 12 year olds and that's just not a good look.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The answer to what they should air is always Team Handball. I have no idea when the season actually is but neither does anyone else. Just throw it on whenever you have nothing else. No one is going to know better.

Either that or more replays of World's Strongest Man.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
get the gently caress out of my forum you awful nerds

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All remaining tapes of any Heat/Knicks game from the mid to late 90s should be destroyed for the good of all mankind.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Stop watching First Take you loving moron.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
So change the channel. Everyone already knows that first take is stupid. It is designed to be intentionally stupid. You are not breaking new ground.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He meant Skip Bayless and made a typo that people have subsequently made fun

I mean dang, dude, there are not that many grown men going by "Skip" out there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"It did not make me spontaneously burst into flames" raves MourningView of Sports Argument Stadium

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

oh em gee bee ess posted:

I mute the television every time Gus Johnson commentates on a Champions League game because he is so utterly poo poo at it. I get that it's his thing to raise his voice at every single thing but his style of commentating doesn't work for football at all.

No, it's actually really awesome for football, see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTV-uUkXTbw

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
A hail mary is not a mundane thing at all, I'm not sure you actually watched that video!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Generally speaking I feel like he gets excited mostly for exciting things. Sports are very exciting!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BIZORT posted:

NFL Pregame shows are still a bunch of guys just sitting around laughing? Didn't Robert Smigel or someone like him do a cartoon parodying all of those pregame shows and it was literally just them laughing the entire time? I haven't watched one of those programs in years and I've been out of the country for almost 5 years

Generally their idea of fixing it has been to add even more people to talk over each other. Football on the west coast kinda sucks, but at least that dumb poo poo is mostly over by the time I wake up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Peanut President posted:

I can't hate Vitale. I will never ever hate a commentator who is having fun calling a game.

His heart is in the right place but in practice he's really bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I'm sure Vitale is a super nice dude he's just not good at analyzing basketball games and is a parody of himself. I remember one game a couple years ago where a player dove over the table for a lose ball and clobbered his partner, forcing Vitale to go it alone for the two most horrifying minutes ESPN has ever broadcast. He does seem like he's having fun though so good for him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I dunno have y'all heard Colin's nerd voice? Pretty excited for that comedic gem to get the wide audience it deserves.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Tearing down the conference in this case meaning "accurately describing how terrible it is"

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FuzzySkinner posted:

potentially dangerous

This is a thing you just said about sports media coverage

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Vertical Lime posted:

Also, Beadle is on far from gracious terms with her former NBCSN co-host. I don't blame her for going back at this point.

As for what I said about Erin:

John Ourand‏@Ourand_SBJ
Source: FS1's Fox College Saturday drew just 50,000 viewers last week -- a number that is on par with a 1am "Macgyver" rerun on Cloo Monday.

To be fair is anything on that channel aside from football and live UFC a draw?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Onrait and O'Toole

I think they're good at what they do, but aren't they getting absolutely destroyed in the ratings so far?

Anyway, on the college pregame thing, I don't think anyone is going to be able to seriously challenge Gameday. That's a really well done show for what it is, and it's an institution at this point. Being on campus when that show is in town is crazy, and I think most big college football fans are just in the habit of flipping it on as soon as they wake up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't really know that there's some special qualification you need to meet to do that job, but he's written about the sport for a prominent outlet forever. That doesn't mean that he's going to be good on TV, but there's no rule that you need to be a former player to do it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Reece Davis is extremely good at his job and deserves a lot better than what they've saddled him with. In general I think college football is the thing ESPN handles the best (and they're much better at it than any of their competitors), but May and Holtz are probably the worst parts of it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

AceFace905 posted:

In The System College Gameday is basically presented as the best thing about college football (that and the rise of Ziggy Ansah), and a lot of the credit goes to how good Rece Davis is at his job.

He's not on college gameday so that's pretty impressive! I assume they were talking about Chris Fowler, who is also really good at his job.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

leokitty posted:

If they don't everyone who really cares will use streams and the US is probably only getting one medal (ice dance) so it's less exciting than usual. The US is not even remotely competitive in men and pairs and getting a medal in the ladies event is very unlikely.

Yeah but Everyone's Mom is still gonna watch.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He genuinely had no idea what he was talking about when it came to technical stuff, but that's not really what he was there for, he was there to get excited when exciting poo poo happened. And the pushing Kimbo Slice as a superstar thing was on CBS, not him. That was the guy they were building everything around, so of course the voice of the company is going to pump him up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quest For Glory II posted:

CBS also has no backup plan now if Verne's heart ever explodes, which isn't unrealistic.

They have a bunch of NFL guys they could switch over if they really needed to.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

My favorite part about the Final Four is when Nantz does the Masters promos and you can tell by his voice that he's getting aroused.

He is legitimately way more excited to talk about the Masters than he is to call a buzzer beater. Him calling the Final Four while Gus Johnson, who personifies everything great about March Madness, sat on the bench was an embarassing misuse of resources.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh no, I guess I'll have to continue never watching Fox Sports 1, said everyone on earth.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

A commenter on deadspin just shared an amazing story about Bob.

wait do I need to like bob costas now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you show me footage of Nantz pounding tallboys I will melt.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
As long as we acknowledge that Musburger would have shotguned it or somehow produced a beer bong from under the desk.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you're trying to talk me into liking Harold Reynolds it's not going to work.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah well Everyone's Mom disagrees and there are more of them than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
maybe y'all should get a goddamn job instead of watching curling all day