Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Even after he dies, I'd bet his kids would legally go after any doc that dared paint him in an unflattering light. The thing about Vince is that a lot of the grimmest stuff, like the rape allegation, the pedo ring operating under his nose, etc is heresy and conjecture and WWE's legal counsel is aggressive as gently caress.

Yeah whitewashing Jordan is one thing because even if he's a delusional prick he's ultimately pretty harmless. Vince can be credibly accused of rape, covering up child sexual abuse, covering up a murder, running a steroid ring out of his locker room, and directly contributing to the death of employees, among other things. It would be so much worse to get a hagiography of him and that's almost certainly the only thing they'd be allowed to do (or even attempt to do since it seems like the two companies are pretty chummy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/bkoo/status/1265662175730905088?s=19

shockingly the documentary about a sport no one watches and a guy who is universally hated did not do as well as the one about the literal most famous person on the planet

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Jordan probably isn't as popular as he was in 98 but he's still easily one of the like five most famous athletes on earth. He is a literal billion dollar brand.

It's not just a matter of Lance being less famous now, he's also someone who people loathe and feel cheated by. I like the documentary so far but it's not surprising people aren't super excited to watch him the way they were excited to relive the glory days of a still almost universially beloved figure like Jordan.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I felt that way to some extent after watching the doc, but mostly I felt that we're all idiots to think he wasn't cheating when he came back from stage 4 cancer and won the year after guys were being thrown off the tour left and right. Well, not me, I was 7. But most people.

It wasn't even that no one thought about it, but that anyone who did bring it up was a bitter rear end in a top hat who loved cancer (or a jealous European, I guess). Which actually is kinda similar to the '98 home run chase where the guy who reported McGwire having andro (which was legal at the time) in his locker immediately had like every baseball columnist in the country writing angry columns about him trying to spoil this magical season. It wasn't until someone like Bonds who didn't kiss their rear end started doing it that it suddenly retroactively became tainted.

soggybagel posted:

Louis Vuitton the man died in 1892 and the logo for the brand isn’t an outline of himself. I have friends with young kids now who learn about Jordan from YouTube videos and watch his stuff because they’re hoop head kids. They don’t know him intrinsically like 30+ year olds but you’re talking about him like he’s Henry Ford. He’s still alive and is constantly spoken about as a focal point to nba greatness. If you’re a 14 year old obsessed with the NBA you’ve watched Jordan mixtapes. You know who he is. He’s much more an extension of the brand than Louis Vuitton is to that brand. But also I kind of disagree at the base level. If kids know the brand they sort of at some base level are knowing Jordan.

Yeah Jordan vs LeBron has been the focal point of NBA coverage for like 10+ years now he is not exactly an obscure figure

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 28, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Other than the big blow out series it seems like The U has been the most influential doc on their house style. Most of them now are just fairly straightforward and highlight heavy sports docs about cool teams from 20-30 years ago that people are nostalgic for rather than telling more esoteric or granular stories. The U transcended it to some degree I think because it had a really talented filmmaker and that was a uniquely cool team but it seems to be the model they're going for now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Boogie really caught him in the most obvious trap possible

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Physician heal thyself

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it's fine to post it here and I appreciate it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Gigi Galli posted:

Is there any sport that Fox does well?

Dunno about good but they're a lot better than ESPN at baseball and the NFL.

They actually probably have the best national baseball broadcast now but that's more an indictment of the others than praise for them.

E: actually their college football is mostly fine now too as long as Matt Millen isn't involved, but it sucked so bad when they first started covering it a few years ago

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 29, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's a good crew other than Orlovsky

Also hope they put Mina on the draft next year, she'd kill it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think Sling was the only one that had NFL Network? I dunno I had Hulu with Live TV before canceling it when sports died. It was about the same as what YouTube is now but you also get regular Hulu so seems like a way better value.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

what owns is when you keep paying for cable for sports and then the sport you watch the most won't be on your cable provider because the owners want their own loving network

MLB treats my state like a hostile foreign nation and has a very strict embargo against it so I can't relate to ever having access sorry

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

unless it’s two hours of boxing coverage, woof @ max kellerman

He is an obnoxious rear end in a top hat but he is regrettably pretty good at radio. I got subjected to way too much la sports talk radio because my carpool buddy and I had wildly different music tastes and his show was the only one I didn't totally hate, even when he went all in as an over the top Lakers homer.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

I hope Lebatard does the 3rd hour just for the podcast because losing that for Mike Greenberg infomercials seems like a quick way to lose a lot of very dedicated (and young) listeners. But I guess maybe they only listen via podcast anyway so having Greenberg on for people in their cars/waiting rooms might work too.

Wasn't the third hour just local? I think that's how it was at one point at least so that probably won't change.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I would guess the number of people who know anything about Bruce Lee beyond "guy who did karate movies" is pretty low

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

corn on the cop posted:

they're also probably not the team whose debauchery you really want to be celebrating in 2020.

Would go out on a limb and guess that Cousin Sal is probably not going to tackle this part of it

https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/mets-rape-accusation-spring-training-1991.html

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

hasn't he done this like five times now jesus christ

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Doctor Teeth posted:

blackout rules are cool. it makes sense to me to punish people in a city for having a sports team, actually

is that what we are being punished for wow des moines has like eight baseball teams now, eat poo poo, new york, you small time losers

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LionYeti posted:

The presentation on the NBA last night was top notch. The court looked really cool and I really liked Ian Eagle and Stan Van on the call for the first game. Reggie was ya know Reggie :sigh:

Eagle and Stan Van is already the best basketball broadcast by miles, hopefully he doesn't get super cranky and take the praise as license to start practicing his stand up set like his brother has

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Spencer was always the one guy in that crew who was definitely going to be fine without SBN, but that show sounds great and I'm glad Richard is going with him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

Yeah but I feel like those are usually tucked further back by the wall, not 10 feet from the sideline

It's an extra one for the dumb MEGACAST that we apparently need for random rear end regular season games but yeah it seems especially dumb to not have it farther back when it's a completely empty stadium

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Basticle posted:

So is there any streaming service left that does still have the RSNs???

Hulu live does unless something changed in the last couple days

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Barry speaks for all of us (who can't see the speaker icon):
https://mobile.twitter.com/barry/status/1313115327706824704

this is what all the sickos who have like 30 tabs open at all times deserve

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I had no idea he was even at ESPN again. Keith should not have been allowed to leave the year 2003.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I will admit there was a time in my life that I am not proud of where I found Keith's whole deal to be cathartic but that time is gone and he should be encased in amber along with everyone else who still has West Wing Brain and thinks "have you no decency, SIR" is the most devastating comeback you can make

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
when I canceled hulu live at the start of covid I was in trouble because married at first sight and I think 90 day fiancee were no longer available for next day streaming so I guess that

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

"Random TV shows on as background" is still pretty common among people.

I mean yeah but I also think this is the role that like 90% of netflix's shows fill

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He's right

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Aww it's gone. What did he say?

It was the headline from a post about the dodgers he was linking but then it looked like he sat on his phone or had a stroke in the middle of it because it was just a weird jumble of letters

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

ESPN+ doesn’t actually get you the normal live ESPN content though, right? It’s just the random paywalled stuff.

Correct and lots of sports air on Not ESPN. It's a pretty good deal but it's not replacing cable or the other live streaming things if you want to watch live sports.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Not a particularly big leap from what he was doing at ESPN most of the time

Related:

https://twitter.com/jtylerconway/status/1333407585484083202?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It was pretty hard to appreciate at the time because I was pretty sure a possibile top 5 pick had just torn his achilles but she and the producers really handled that incredibly well. Also remembering the time Dickie V, who I am guessing makes significantly more than she does, once had to do play by play for like two minutes because a player dove after a lose ball and annihilated his partner and it was some of the most horrible television I've ever seen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That show has been probably the best farm system for all their sports shouting personalities in general, but I'm excited/terrified to see what they do now that they are totally free of having to worry about what Disney thinks (as opposed to presumably kind of caring and then mostly ignoring it)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

Bomani will be a good host for HQ sans Dan it as my guess is that's who they tap for it.

High Noon 2.0

Making Bo and Pablo the new HQ hosts and then just never mentioning High Noon would be funny

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There's still people from the LeBatard Expanded Universe like Mina, Pablo, Bomani and Katie Nolan who are really good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Oh radio I dunno I'm not 60 years old so I just listen to podcasts

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
No it's extremely funny that they thought the best guy to recreate the success of the Last Dance was someone whose most interesting characteristic is that he started a cult based on stretching a lot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can understand doing a last dance for Tom, but 9 parts? Not even his fans will sit through that

it's one for every super bowl they went to even though only like four of them are all that interesting. imagine wanting to relive the last patriots/rams super bowl

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

thrilla in vanilla posted:

They’re running out of personalities because they keep deciding not to renew their contracts! Nothing this company is doing makes any sense to me!

They're just putting all their money towards rights fees. Live sports are where they actually make their money the rest is filler even though I really liked a lot of the filler!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

ESPN give me a very small amount of money and i will go on tv every day and let stephen a brutally own me with his takes

To me that's preposterous, Derrick Rose being BACK, things of that nature.