Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

I don't know how deep his knowledge runs but god drat if I don't also love Tom Hamilton calling Indians games. Dude has a fantastic home run call. "SWUNGONNANBELTED!"

Isn't that Chip Caray's call, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

NBC announced today they're extending their Olympic deal through 2032.

Eighteen years. Jesus Christ.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's The Learning Channel and it's not even close

Discovery and History aren't too far behind.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Scott Van Pelt is the best.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I just finished reading These Guys Have All the Fun (great book, by the way), and it seems like ESPN is really suffering under Skipper's leadership and badly missing George Bodenheimer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

I mean a lot of their issues stem from people dumping cable in increasing numbers in favor of various streaming services, which is not really his fault

Admittedly, the larger problem is that Disney has had some movies bomb and actually budgeted Avengers 2 to out-perform the first one, and it's passing down those deficits to its subsidiaries, but still -- there really seems to be a leadership issue at ESPN. Like, I get the idea of giving Scott Van Pelt his own SportsCenter show is great, and the show has been great so far, but it's on at loving midnight. No one's watching that unless they're a college student, unemployed, or a semi-functional alcoholic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

Unless they get an absolutely absurd offer (which fox might do) I think the Big Ten is going to try to stay with ESPN. It's way better as far as exposure goes.

It is, but ESPN is supposed to cut something like $550 million in costs over the next two years. College football has been their bread and butter for a long time in terms of viewership but I wouldn't be stunned to see them take a hard line with the Big Ten, especially since Big Ten has its network.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peanut President posted:

So is this time of sports leagues getting paid dump trucks coming to an end soon or will there always be some other dumbass corporation to pick up the slack?

The massive payouts from the regional sports networks has always been a bubble and given the trouble we've seen with the failure of CSN Houston and the fall of Rome currently going on at LA Sportsnet, I think we're definitely seeing that bubble bursting. I mean, this is why the NFL negotiated seven-year deals with all the networks last year, because they had the foresight to see that the gravy train wasn't going to last forever so they might as well get those billions while they still could. (It still amazes me that ESPN pays almost as much for MNF as CBS and NBC combined do for their packages.)

Edit: Hell, the Cubs were counting on getting one of those big RSN paydays, which is why they opted out of their WGN deal a few years ago (and which is why Bob Brenly left, because he didn't want a two-year deal), and then when their TV rights came up last year, they wound up having to go crawling back to WGN to complement their share on CSN Chicago (which is co-owned by like every other team in the city except the Bears, so the Cubs don't get a huge cut). They're now hoping to package their broadcast and cable rights for a deal in 2020, by which point the RSN bubble will have completely melted.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 27, 2015

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Peanut President posted:

edit: Hell get Dan Stevens and Peter O'Keefe. They're pretty cheap if Sega Sports could afford them.

Those were voice actors. :ssh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Benne posted:

How old is Bob Ley? He seemingly hasn't aged a day in the ~15 years I've been watching ESPN.

Believe it or not, he's been with the network since he was 24 (I believe he's something like employee #3). In addition to being one of the few Republicans at the network, he lives an extremely clean life, which is probably a huge factor in how he still has his babyface at his age.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anals of History posted:

ESPN's headed toward a bad place right now and their only solution so far has been to fire people.

To be fair, that's pretty much all the company can do. Earlier this year, they had something like 7,000 employees worldwide, and I think they badly over-extended themselves with all the new sets and facilities they've been building over the past few years (the new SportsCenter set they built last year cost something like $125 million alone) -- the company was very clearly burning through cash at a time when it should have been really looking at a long-term strategy for revenue management.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Don't worry, within a few years they'll turn it into a three-day event like the NFL did with the draft.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure the main reason they are bleeding talent is budget cuts.

This is precisely it. Skipper is under a mandate to cut almost $400 million in costs by next year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

I think SAS is still their higest paid guy by a wide margin. Be interesting to see if he's shipped off too.

Last I read, Gruden makes something like $6 or $7 million a year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

You aren't wrong, but Olbermann never saw a bridge he didn't want to torch and Simmons basically kept daring ESPN to fire him.

Beyond that, Simmons openly hated John Skipper, and he was running a vanity project that was getting no viewership and therefore no ad revenue.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MourningView posted:

They have like 20 dudes on payroll they could replace Tirico with without anyone noticing after like 3 weeks

Seriously, Tirico is a pretty awful announcer and has been for like 15 years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Badfinger posted:

Bear in mind, this is a world in which I think Joe Buck might actually be the best we can get for pro football pbp.

That is a disgusting act.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Few things are as entertaining as when Michaels and Collinsworth are clearly half in the bag by the third quarter of a garbage game.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Trent Dilfer is walking from ESPN over a salary dispute.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I take it the guys they cut are probably a bit more expensive but if they're trying to cut costs why are they replacing people 1-to-1 for telecasts that have way too many people on them to begin with?

Guys who have been on-air for quite some time have escalator clauses built into their contracts. It's cheaper to put the ax to someone who's been on ESPN for a decade, like Ditka, and replace him with someone who can be paid a relatively entry-level salary.

Niwrad posted:

ESPN is so out of touch with what's happening today.

That's what happens when you put a print guy in charge of a company that needs to embrace new media in order to survive. Skipper is probably the worst person they could have running the show right now.

Timby fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 9, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Benne posted:

There's a reason heel vs. heel feuds don't work in pro wrestling -- there's nobody to cheer for, so people don't have a reason to care. That's been the real problem with First Take. Would anybody hate the show as much if it had a sensible, likeable straight man to act as a foil for Skip's nonsense? I highly doubt it. In fact, it might even be enjoyable, if theoretical likeable man got one over on Skip once in a while.

Instead, it's just SAS being SAS, and Skip being Skip, and we get a whole bunch of sound and fury, signifying nothing. As the old saying goes in wrestling, there's no heat.

This is why Hannity & Colmes was so popular.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't Goff start off as a producer for Boers and Bernstein or Mike Murphy or something? God drat he's grown over the years.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibner posted:

There was also a Conan and... ewww

Don't forget Kindergarten Cop.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know, I think it's kind of weird that the announcers work for the team and not the network.

It actually varies on a team-by-team basis. Until 2015, when the Cubs re-negotiated their broadcast deals to align the expiration of the radio and television contracts, Len Kasper and Jim Deshaies were employees of WGN-TV, but effective January of '15 they became employees of the Cubs organization, partially because WGN America elected to cease broadcasting baseball games.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mahoning posted:

Wasn't that just leftover from the fact that until like 2010 the Cubs were owned by WGN's parent company?

Wouldn't make a difference, since Kasper signed his current contract in 2012 and it was simply transferred over to the Cubs as part of the new broadcast deal with WGN three years later.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

Gruden and Collinsworth also sound like they're having fun in the booth

At least for Collinsworth, I'm pretty sure that's because he's half in the bag by the end of the first quarter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

According to Steve Stone, in all their years together he never once saw Harry Caray drinking during a broadcast. Dude was just legitimately that goofy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

notable superstar Kent Mercker

"Who the gently caress is Kent Mercker?" was an amazing retort by Stone.

I think it was Moises Alou who led the effort to have Caray and Stone banned from the team charter plane, too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anals of History posted:

Would've really like to have seen this analysis include Disney's potential bid for Twitter b/v that seems to be several factors more bugfuck crazy than paying more for the NBA or for a theme park in China.

Twitter's definitely in play but it's going to get eaten by Salesforce or Google.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It may be an unpopular opinion, but Joe Buck is starting to grow on me

https://twitter.com/Buck/status/784800360430903296

C'mon, Joe, you're a professional, you should know that the phrase is "tongue-in-cheek."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'd love to figure out who the true GOAT's of "homer/local" radio broadcasters would be.

Scully, Buck, and Carey are no brainers.

I feel like Brickhouse was a better announcer for the Cubs.

Anyway, some others coming to mind would be Pat Foley (Chicago Blackhawks), Chick Hearn, Mel Allen, Ernie Harwell and Marv Albert.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DJExile posted:

I'd like to hope that, but ESPN went well out of its way to carry the water for serial woman beater Floyd Mayweather. They really don't give a poo poo.

Don't forget that they also employ Ray "God ... does not make mistakes" Lewis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Benne posted:

I don't know why ESPN keeps putting him on TV, he has the charisma of a doorknob.

I'm sure it was part of his demands in order to jump from NFL Network.

iospace posted:

Because you need the dull people to make people like SVP interesting.

Are you talking poo poo about SVP?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

corn on the cop posted:

I ran into Doc at Penn Station while he was still doing local work for the Devils. He's a really gentle person and holy cow he is a lot shorter than he looks.

It's really neat to actually meet people who aren't shitheads. My boss' sister is married to Len Kasper, and whenever they come to town I've gotten to hang out with him for a while. He's just the most goofy, enthusiastic guy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Moonves is probably getting poo poo from affiliates about games running long and cutting into their local programming.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

Plus they never preempt 60 Minutes so unlike Fox the late local news is heavily delayed

And the local news is where those stations make a poo poo-ton of their money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The OJ doc is the best deconstruction of a celebrity I've ever seen

It really was, and yet at the same time, I didn't think it was possible for me to detest Mark Fuhrman even more, but here we are.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

It helps NBCSN that they don't have as high of a carriage fee as ESPN or what FS1 probably wants since they specialize in niche sports

Right, ESPN is still charging carriers a little more than six bucks per subscriber per month; FS1 is in the neighborhood of a dollar and NBCSN is like 28 cents.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibner posted:

My regional fox affiliate decided to significantly increase their price, so my carrier dropped them. I dropped my carrier to pick up a streaming service instead. Should have done this a while back.

Teams freaking the gently caress out as their RSN contracts expire and no one has the money to re-up over the next year or two is going to be amazing (and both the Astros' and Dodgers' networks are already in trouble, pretty sure FSN Houston defaulted on its payments a year or so ago). Say all the poo poo you want about Roger Goodell, but he had the foresight to sign broadcast and cable contracts that run for-loving-ever because the NFL knew the money wasn't going to be there soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Vertical Lime posted:

ESPN still hiring people as they're ready to fire others

https://twitter.com/MMehtaNYDN/status/842779788070797312

Ryan still had three years on his contract with Buffalo, I imagine the price tag for ESPN wasn't terribly high.