Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cancer can get bent, and Stuart Scott went from being someone I slightly enjoyed to someone I greatly admired and respected with how he handled cancer and the more I learned about him as a family man.

RIP, Stu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

He was actually on the VH1 "I love the.." shows I was quite addicted to, and he was actually one of the funniest people on there.

The one I remember the most fondly was him making fun of Marge Schott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snkqd7P38GI&t=5m35s

Oh man, I forgot this. He and Rich Eisen were both great on those.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vertical Lime posted:

Eisen pulled off another tribute by doing Colts-Bengals highlights in Stu's style:

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/r...dium=socialflow

This is amazing. I can't stop smiling. God bless Rich Eisen.

Also, there was a moment of silence before the Wake Forest/Louisville hoops game tonight, too, since Stu grew up in the Winston area. Happy to see my alma mater do that. If only Stu could call the highlights tomorrow; there were some great ones. Both teams balled out. :unsmith:

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 5, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Vertical Lime posted:

CM Punk agrees

CM Punk's problem was not concussions.

(It was arguably worse, but if there's one thing WWE seemingly does not gently caress around with anymore it's concussions.)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

cheap seats was painfully unfunny

This is the most vehemently I've ever disagreed with you on like, anything. Cheap Seats ruled. :colbert:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

That said, it would be nice if SportsCenter anchors would just shut up and not try to be comedians or make new catchphrases or whatever, but we all know that's never going to happen.

I'm sorry, but if I had that job, dammit I'd be trying to have fun somehow.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bill Walton is a national treasure.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
CANCER loving SUCKS GOD DAMMIT.

CANCER AND TERRORISM AND AGGGHH.

Craig, no. :smith:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bomani Jones loving owns.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

How long has ROH sucked and dont say since the buyout.

Since a huge chunk of their then core left to start a new company en masse and also Bully Ray is like a key booker now apparently?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I am a child but this has me giggling like crazy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy loving poo poo how do people say poo poo like that

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i like Max Kellerman as a boxing guy and thought he did fine on ATH when I watched that in like, god drat, i just looked it up, 2002-2004. but yeah if you're gonna get me even with clips you kinda gotta be a psycho. he seems like a fine straight man.

the issue is that the executives seem to not have the ability to tell the difference between a genuine entertaining weirdo like SAS or Francesa compared with just yellers or weirdos like Cowherd/Bayless and others. they need to really get someone in there who appreciates and loves the freaks.

Kellerman also was absolutely on a TEAR in the best way during the summer of the BLM protests. Just..nail on head, repeatedly.

Indirectly, SAS got him fired because there was a stretch when Max tried to have legitimately heavy discussions and he kinda made SAS look goofy, they effectively put Max in a death spot, and here we are.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Listen to the LeBatard Show instead

Dan LeBetard has always seemed infinitely more annoying to me than anything you'd see on First Take.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s an acquired taste. I was super into it for a while but fell off around the time they left espn. Some of the two main hosts bad tics and impulses have gotten waaaaay worse since they moved to a web only format.

To me that sounds like Actual Hell. I'd sooner be stuck mouth agape at the badness of a thousand Kendrick Perkins takes

It always felt to me like a couple steps away (i.e. problematic-ness) from basically being a sports shock jock show. Maybe that's just literally the energy they give off and has no vibe in reality but it always gave me fairly serious "Bubba The Love Sponge or Mancow but toned down and also sports" energy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This has me dead. Holy gently caress.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

Please be alive, Foochs.

But Sage Steele got bodied by Baba Wawa. It's too loving funny

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I have bad news for you it most likely never will

What else do they even have to really offer

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

NOT Kobe Bryant!

Listening to his take on Whitlock and while I'm enjoying him roast one of the world's all time morons, it feels like we are currently in peak Sports Media Chat (Media Apex Mountain, if you will). I get that the Rodgers thing became news and this poo poo does big numbers online but it feels like everywhere I look/listen is just Sport Take Guys becoming Sports Media Take Guys.

I don't love it. And it's not even like I'm missing The Sports, I just find it can get so self involved and sucks all the air out of everything. Keep it moving people!

I will NEVER complain about Jason Whitlock getting ethered.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I watched the entire thing and hoooooooooly poo poo does SAS go in, and Whitlock has a few toadies on Twitter saying SAS doesn't address anything, but highlights include:

-Whitlock apparently begged SAS to come work for him when he was trying to start The Undefeated and trying to make it "the black Grantland". SAS apparently literally has emails of Whitlock begging him to come work with him, and tells the story of Whitlock trying to get other people to convince SAS to talk to him. SAS claims to have receipts and frankly in this case I 100% believe him.
-SAS pointing out that NO ONE will work with Whitlock. Namedrops Jemele Hill, Skip Bayless, Chris Broussard, and others.
-SAS has an honorary doctorate from WSSU, points out his work with HBCUs, and apparently he and others have collaborated on scholarship funding worth many, many millions of dollars and affecting thousands of students which is obviously more value than Whitlock has ever given to anything.
-Literally, and I do mean literally, calls Whitlock a bitch, a bastard, a piece of poo poo, and Cain. loving CAIN.
-Brings up the fact that Whitlock doesn't even try to discuss sports anymore, that he's basically the sports media equivalent of a drama YouTuber because no one gives a gently caress about what he has to say on anything of substance. SAS didn't use those words but he may as well have and he's right.
-Essentially just says Whitlock is an opportunist for profit, which again, no lies detected.
-Specifically mentions Broussard as someone who's basically a saint (SAS says if Broussard wasn't in sports, SAS thinks he'd probably be a man of the cloth) and even he can't loving stand Whitlock.
-Points out how MULTIPLE heads of both ESPN and Fox also cannot abide the fucker.
-SAS LITERALLY HAS IT IN HIS CONTRACT that he'll never work with Whitlock. :lol:
-Basically says if Whitlock had anything of value to say he'd still have a platform, and you can hate SAS all you want, but at least he brings something to the table that breeds success within the field (more or less what SAS says, not what I'm saying, though I think he's pretty much right). Points out he's destroying Whitlock's YouTube sub count on something that's a hobby SAS loses money on in like, less than a year compared to what Whitlock has amassed in several years and is his entire career because he can't get work anywhere because he's a piece of poo poo and nobody likes him.

There's obviously petty, grandstanding SAS-ness in there, but considering who he's taking down, it's wildly entertaining, and on this particular subject SAS tells zero lies.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

He talked for like an hour about Whitlock and didn't even really say anything that bad about him when there is just a TON of poo poo he could have brought up. It's just a petty personal feud. Also LMAO at him texting every day with Mark Levin and admitting that.

I dunno, IMO he said plenty considering he was probably skirting around what he couldn't say without REALLY pissing off his bosses. Plus hearing him repeatedly call him a piece of poo poo extremely SAS-ishly is worth the price of admission IMO.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

gotta say I figured GeneralDog would be the first one to white knight Whitlock

also lol

that is loving hilarious that even Clay Travis wants nothing to do with the guy

Holy gently caress, that is BAD. How can you possibly be too big of a piece of poo poo for CLAY TRAVIS?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

From what I know it’s mostly the former. Skip’s tweet about Damar Hamlin seemed to be the breaking point. They apparently hashed it out a bit off-air and that helped but it may have been a “too little too late” thing for Shannon.

I thought the breaking point was this:

https://youtu.be/wrH_pRSYAkQ?si=L8I6HmvI4vOl6B5v