Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Benne posted:

If you were expecting Simmons to be any different or more interesting then you haven't been following Bill Simmons for the past 15 years

Yeah, everyone should know Simmons' schtick by now. He's a regular sports fan who lucked his way into having a voice by being at the right place at the right time.

That leads to some really good things as a producer and host because in broad strokes, his tastes line up with most sports fans. So when he gets other people to make stuff that he would like, then other people like it too. Grantland is basically him getting people he likes to read, 30 for 30 was getting people to make documentaries that interested him and when his podcasts are good, it's him asking the guest to tell stories he finds entertaining.

But then he's also like a regular dumb sports fan because he has his hometown bias and pet theories that everyone has so his stuff drags whenever he gets self indulgent and starts talking about his own dumb sports fan opinions. Like his I could be a better GM thing. Everyone does it, he just has an audience of millions instead of a couple of friends at a bar like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Trast posted:

And the Rock in Arnold's role.

The only remakes that need to be made are the Rock redoing Arnie's entire filmography. Especially Twins.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Peanut President posted:

The only reason advertising is required for televised sports is because the leagues demand more money every contract from the TV Companies. The TV Companies have to sell ads in order to make it back (and make their own money). It's not required by God's own word, and the trend can be reversed pretty simply.

Why would stations stop selling ads even if they got rights for free?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lockback posted:

Wait, could you get the game in Toronto if you don't have cable?

You could only get the Canadian broadcast team on cable. It wasn’t on any of the Canadian OTA networks but we can get Buffalo’s ABC signal here.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Stroman not taking Eck’s poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mstrooo6/status/1142917092691402758

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Peanut President posted:

he capitalized "Grand Wizard" he knows exactly what he's saying

Yeah, of all the things an old white dude can get a pass on for not knowing what they mean, this is definitely not one of them.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

DJExile posted:

I could be mixing up people, but I think the former radio announcer was named in that investigation and left quietly a couple days before it got reported.

There was a longer write up about her in the Athletic. The former pbp guy that left because he was a piece of poo poo was both pbp guy and VP of their entire media department. She’s taking over the VP part and will be on the broadcast team, but will be hiring a new pbp person that will report to her.

https://theathletic.com/1942664/202..._shared_article

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

To be very charitable to this dude, there's a difference between knowing it's offensive and knowing that it means gay people should be burned to death.

Does it make a difference though? You don't need to know the etymology of every slur to know to NOT loving USE THEM on the job when your entire job is talk on an open mic to the public for hours at a time.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Putting two and two together, I'm guessing NBCSN is being replaced with the relaunched G4 on cable systems.

What’s the point of G4 in 2021 when YouTube and Twitch already exist?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are there any details on the Youtube/Disney deal? Wonder if either caved, or they just went back to the old price.

I'm not the best predictor of the future, but if I had to guess, we're eventually going to have everything streaming direct. Cable tv, and their streaming equivalents may end up dead as every network prepares their own independent streaming service. We will end up with a true a la carte system where you end up subscribing to like 7 different streaming services to get the movies, TV, and sports that you want to watch.

And then someone comes up with a brilliant idea where you can bundle up the various streaming services for a discount for getting them all.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Timby posted:

Doesn't sound like a lowball. Per the Tribune and The Athletic, the Blackhawks offered a hefty pay increase. The wrinkle was that they wanted to pay Olczyk per game, as opposed to just a flat salary for the 82-game season, because he's always loving off to do national hockey broadcasts and do horse racing stuff for NBC.

It was higher per game, but am overall pay it so not quite a lowball, but also pretty easy to see why Eddie would leave depending on how many games he'd miss.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I still don't get why the Saudis didn't target MMA. You could buy up all the top fighters for a fraction of the cost and bring in all the celebrity voices you want too. Probably a fraction of the blowback because Dana White is a piece of poo poo too.

There was a lot of blowback from them buying WWE shows and Vince and the WWE are even shittier people than Dana/UFC.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Golf and WWE they're really going for it at all angles.

There's also buying up soccer teams, have an F1 Grand prix as well. Tennis appears to be next on their list and that's pretty much all the major internationally relevant sports covered short of an Olympics or World Cup.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I mean....unless you were a hardcore UGA fan there really wasn't much of a point in watching that game past halftime.

Even as a Georgia fan, what's the point? Just turn back on around the time the game is supposed to end to watch the celebrations and stuff. The only things that can happen in the second half are an all-time collapse or an injury.

Unless you're a friend or relative of like a 6th stringer that might actually make the field and get to do something for once, do you get anything more from watching your team win by 60 instead of 30?

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 11, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I haven't watched an NHL all star game but the nba and nfl games are a farce of a real sporting event.

The NHL did something actually smart for their all-star game and realized that since no one's going to play a real game with contact and defence anyways, they play a 3-on-3 ruleset that encourages all rushes and scoring with minimal defence. Like if the NFL went 7-on-7 flag and was just QBs throwing bombs and dudes doing cool jukes all day.

It's not the same game like baseball's but it's at least a fun facsimile that emphasizes the cool bits people want to watch and for the most part, the bits that players have fun with and can do without much risk. It's not perfect and people still half rear end it, but at least they are trying something different than pretending it's a real game obviously doesn't work.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/WBDSportsPR/status/1653434235762376707

there's a very good chance the momentum won't remain for the rest of the playoffs

Can't see how they do maintain. Even if they draw more general NHL fans, it's going to be tough to make up for the local team only fans that drop. They lost Boston, LA, NY1, and the past 2 Champs. And the 2 biggest remaining ratings draws, both in terms of team fanbase and players people have heard of (if the league actually knew how to market players) have 0 local value to ESPN/TNT.

Even lost Minny who could have at least juiced local numbers.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah the discussion I’ve heard is that the leagues want their rights back as soon as possible. MLB is the wild card because several teams already have their own TV networks for their games, like the Cubs and Yankees. I know MLB has already assumed control of a few of the RSNs.

A fully centralized rights system is going to be hard. Big teams aren't going to agree unless they get paid out as I don't think say the Dodgers and Lakers will agree to a 1/30 share to say nothing of the Yankees/Cubs/Jays that have TV tied up in ownership. The NBA also has the Raps, Knicks and Wiz that I can think of off the top of my head that will have ownership issues.

It works in football since that's the way things have been done forever and the MLS didnt have enough of a divide between the top and bottom that a much bigger pie from Apple couldn't satisfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Island Nation posted:

Helps that the character's father is a high school football coach. The character also showed he has knowledge of the sport as a adult but prefers almost anything else.

Kid's a pedantic, genius rear end in a top hat (the character, not the actor). Probably memorized the rulebook his father had over a weekend and loudly out errors whenever his family makes him watch attend/watch a game on tv. Makes sense he'd be a rules lawyer.

Dora explaining rules would be hilarious if they run with it.
"Can you say targetting? Fantasico!"
"Everybody count how many players there are on the field. Uno, dos, tres...doce. That's too many men"

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 6, 2024