Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can’t wait for Albom’s take that doubles as a promotion for his book about how all the worlds problems can just be solved with ~love~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
lol LA's market had a lower rating for the SB than the national average

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
didn't ESPN fire simmons in part because he poo poo on the NFL and Goodell constantly or am i misremembering

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Edward Mass posted:

The last 30 for 30 about hockey aired over five years ago, and that was about the Soviets who lost the Miracle on Ice. The total number of 30 for 30s specifically about NHL hockey is two.

To put this in context there are as many Cycling 30 for 30's as NHL 30 for 30's lol

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

AsInHowe posted:

Sergei Fedorov's defection.

Problem with this is that "The Russian 5" basically already covered that ground. The Wings-Avs rivalry of the 90's-early 2000's would be pretty good.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Slaying the Badger wasn't an Armstrong one (it was good though it was mainly a standard doc)

The book is so much better than the documentary... i was disappointed although i understand they had to make it palatable to non-cycling fans

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah, the book is great. Probably the oddest part is where the La Vie Claire DS comes off as some kind of villain in the documentary but is a much more interesting character in the book. Not sure if it was intended.

It was worth it to see the old footage and the in-person interviews of Hinault and Andy Hampsten, though. That run of TDFs just prior to EPO exploding was incredible, though. 1987 isn't as famous as '86 or '89 (outside of Ireland), but it's probably my pick for the most exciting Tour ever.

I loved Hampsten recounting his very brief thought of winning the tour before going "ahhh, nope"

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

AsInHowe posted:

Hockey needs to keep living in 1997, by which I mean the Detroit Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup

can we cut off on June 12th though

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
The times has an article on a situation with Rachel Nichols and Maria Taylor regarding NBA finals coverage that i had no idea was going on. The TLDR is that apparently Nichols contract had wording in it that made it seem like she was supposed to host the NBA finals, but ESPN decided to give it to Taylor for the 2020 playoffs. Nichols went off while talking to Lebron's agent suggesting that Taylor was getting the job because of "diversity" on the phone but forgot that her camera was on. The video was stored on ESPN servers and an employee sent it around which caused lots of issues as one might imagine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/04/sports/basketball/espn-rachel-nichols-maria-taylor.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

quote:

Mendelsohn, throughout the conversation, strategized with Nichols about how she should respond to ESPN. “Be careful because that place is a snake pit,” he said. They considered a move that Mendelsohn described as “baller” but “hard to pull off”: telling Pitaro and others that having two women competing over the same job was a sign of ESPN’s wider shortcomings with female employees.

“Those same people — who are, like, generally white conservative male Trump voters — is part of the reason I’ve had a hard time at ESPN,” Nichols said during the conversation. “I basically finally just outworked everyone for so long that they had to recognize it. I don’t want to then be a victim of them trying to play catch-up for the same damage that affected me in the first place, you know what I mean. So I’m trying to just be nice.”

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

AsInHowe posted:

I don't think Maria Taylor is coming back to ESPN

apparently she turned down a $5 mil a year offer before the pandemic and now ESPN is only offering her $3, so yeah i'd say she's gone

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Douchebag posted:

So ESPN is going to be 8 hours of Greenberg, 8 hours of Smith, ATH and PTI full time?

dont forget max kellerman!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

imagine if it was in primetime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's the show where Mitch Albom said Jameis Winston's victim should've donated her settlement.

i met mitch albom once doing a neighborhood board up project in detroit which his non profit was funding. he is by far the smarmiest person i have ever talked to. also jarringly short