Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fuel became FS2, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like NBCSN because they give full coverage to cool niche sports like yachting, and mid-tier GT/touring car racing from Mid-Ohio, and Indycars, and they clearly try, no matter how unpopular what they're showing is, to put on a good show, and a nice presentation. I don't even know what sports FS1 is actually showing right now, except maybe the NASCAR trucks, and that's just a holdover from Speed.

Also, their (NBCSN) soccer/F1 coverage is legitimately great.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like NBCSN's programming in general, but yeah, they do have a ton of bad hunting shows that they use as filler.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I liked Wonderfalls and Andy Richter Controls the Universe :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also the one Fox show I remember that got the poo poo hyped out of it during the World Series was House, though I seem to recall that one being mildly successful.

"You're risking a patient's life!!!!"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think they were trying to make televised dominoes a thing at some point, too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think it was Bobby Fischer Goes To War that was a good book about him? Not a full biography, I think, but a really good look at the international interest in the Spassky-Fischer matches.

Also, there's Fischer's My 60 Memorable Games, which is usually called one of the best chess books ever written, but I'm not sure how interesting it'd be to someone who doesn't have any chess experience.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maybe they figure on a significant population of Indian and Pakistani-Americans who might be watching?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Twenty20 is bullshit, by the way

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

R.D. Mangles posted:

LMAO Bill Simmons just diagnosed chemistry problems on the Seahawks becaause of Russell Wilson's performance in the Entourage movie.

see this is what I listen to Simmons for

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
TBH I kind of want people to start experimenting with no score bugs/graphics on sports broadcasts again.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
maybe the issue really is that there's way too much parity, and no superstar-driven teams like the NBA currently has with the Warriors/Cavs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MourningView posted:

I have been told that no one cares about these games and they should go away.

Who the hell doesn't like the lovely college bowls, they're awesome

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

joshtothemaxx posted:

NBC Sports showing Premiership Rugby has been amazing and I hope they keep it up.

They need to show the good rugby, I want NBCSN2 so NRL and English Rugby League poo poo can play at 3AM.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
too bad that BAMTech didn't win, that would have ensured a high quality streaming service which soccer really doesn't do

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
monday after the super bowl is an accepted holiday in like 90% of american offices anyway

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think I was the only person who watched Cold Pizza

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MourningView posted:

I mean in the sense that he thinks he's an insane person and he's fun to mock

He's cool.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Darren Rovell brutally owned someone and everyone is jealous

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are too many foreigners winning and it's turning off the fans. IMO someone should make a new Indycar series with just American short track racers and all ovals, using stock block engines and cars that look like a feeder series to Formula 3000.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
all of those new subscribers were me wanting to watch the sri lanka vs new zealand cricket series

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
at some point there was a summer euoprean club competition specifically made so people could gamble on soccer in the summer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Intertoto_Cup

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It was theoretically kind of cool to get completely random rear end cross-european matches between clubs which normally would rarely qualify for European competition and would otherwise never ever play each other, like Dundee United playing Brescia or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
cricket is also basically a year-round sport, with the northern hemisphere teams or southern hemisphere teams hosting matches and T20 tournaments depending on which side of the earth has summer or not, though they don't play nearly as many matches in total as club football (or baseball teams)

trying to think of any other sports which are effectively year-round, I figure rugby might be since it's played widely in both hemispheres? Tennis has an offseason lasting like two weeks also

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

well this season it's right now

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Which is impressive because Sky's commentary sucks rear end. I never liked Leigh Diffey but I miss NBC.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Motogp is actually the series to watch if you want to see obnoxious tiny interchangeable Spaniards repeatedly win everything in sight

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also I signed up for BR Live for a few months because I hate money, and also because of the Champions League, and I somehow missed the biggest draw of the service, which is the Belgian Pro League. Apparently they will also have the Swedish cup competition, I'm licking my lips.

I want to see them pick up even more mid tier domestic leagues nobody watches. ESPN+ already has a head start with the Swedish and Danish leagues, so BR needs to pick up the Polish and Croatian leagues or something to compete.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

psyer posted:

I believe DAZN has the J-League in the US, but they usually only show Vissel Kobe because Iniesta plays there.

I checked and if they're advertising it, it's not on their website, which sucks because the J and K-leagues legitimately look cool.

Also the saddest package goes to Flosports' football site which has a great "FloFC" package consisting of DC United games, and the loving Finnish first division. a league which FIFA ranks behind Albania, North Macedonia and Moldovia's first divisions in strength.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'd legitimately love a streaming service with nothing but trash leagues like the Finnish league. like Flo or B/R or one of these other dumb streaming companies should buy the rights to all the lovely first divisions and target the service toward degenerate gamblers who want to place online bets on Romanian League 1 or something

b/r is already halfway there with noted trash league, the Scottish Premiership

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 13, 2019

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e) misread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the most embarassing thing was that they liked Jonathan Papelbon

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what are the implications of that, I thought they already kinda replaced it with espn+

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

psyer posted:

NY Post is reporting that ESPN+ is close to get Bundesliga rights starting 2020-2021 season.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/31/espn-...=site%20buttons

so that would be Serie A and the Bundesliga for $5 a month, along with all the other assorted stuff on ESPN+. Kind of a good deal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
NBC has a ton of poo poo they own the rights to coverage for but don't give a single poo poo about actually covering in any way. Cycling is a big one, and I wish they'd just give up all their rights so Flo would have every event on one service

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think the b/r live thing has a subscription with the per-game thing just being an option

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've just been loving around with old bike races, maybe this will finish before I put myself through the Lance tours de france again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Armstrong was at one point one of the most famous athletes in the country, and one of a handful which were "household names" among people with no interest in sports, I can see why they might have thought it would be a big one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He wasn't as big as MJ but as far as name recognition and being a media figure, he was at least comparable, imo.