Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Legler's job is to be obstinate and dumb when Jon Barry is otherwise indisposed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Niwrad posted:

Instead of having some former players/coaches giving random opinions on vague topics, I wish they'd use their expertise for something that requires expertise. Have a show that breaks down film and talks about changes teams made in games or over the course of a season. Show how a team defended a certain player well. There are some YouTube accounts that do this and are popular, I'm surprised ESPN doesn't put together a show like that for the NBA. It seems like it'd be cheap to produce too.

I agree completely. Sportscenter is an obsolete show. Anyone can see scores and highlights anytime. And I think a lot of people have come to realize that a highlight is utterly pointless without seeing it in context of the game. They're clinging to the show because of people who don't like the internet watching it, but that audience will die, or learn to use computers.

They created endless yelling shows to fill the non sportscenter time and espn2, and I think people have grown very weary of them too.

Use the thousand strong team of analysts to actually analyze things. Maybe replay games with the analysts breaking things down in a little window? I assume they'd show lots of weird sports like they used to, if they got ratings.

They should use their position to make better sports fans, not stupider more yelly sports fans.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

AsInHowe posted:

Everything about the new ESPN package is visually unattractive. The massive set feels like a dystopian movie. The graphics, from the little things like fonts to the interstital full-screen ones, look like something out of a generic video game (simple, compressed for space). The entire package places so much focus on the new changes that the actual highlights and facts presented are completely overwhelmed. It all feels like a vanity project for no reason, and with no point.

It's ugly as hell.

It's like they subconsciously realize that Sportscenter is an obsolete show and cooked up this massive ridiculous studio as a reaction.

People don't care about contextless highlights anymore, they can check exactly which games they care about online and get a comprehensive picture from any of a billion bloggers.

So they turn up the bombast and hope that their aging demographic leaves ESPN on while they're snoring in worn out recliners.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

soggybagel posted:

It's not an obsolete show.

There are people out there that want want contextless highlights. But they actually want the highlights. As opposed to highlight two baseball games from the night and spend two minutes each on them. Then the remaining 8 games that happened that night, only two more get highlighted and its 10 second packages, and the remaining six are just ignored.

Well, to be fair, that's pretty close to 'contextless highlights.' 2 games get context and everyone else can get hosed.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Josh Lyman posted:

Countdown until all the on camera talent at ESPN are leggy blondes...

Blonde but ethnically ambiguous to cover all demographics, instagram style

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

drat I'm feeling good
My Ditka game good
I feel like I should

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ah gently caress man thats horrible
Such a big part of me growing up was watching fights with my dad, and we'd always do his catchphrases. Poor guy
RIP

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Gotta agree with Metapod. Tulsa's terrible

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

FuzzySkinner posted:

Better than OKC.

They don't get any shows like they do at Cain's or Brady.

It's probably got a fancier pocket of culture because of that old oil money cluster. I just mean in general

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

chunkles posted:

gotta do something to compete with overwatch league

this seems like a good idea to pitch my nba adult simulcast which is just squeaky shoes and no commentary

This is the best thing about g-league games on the Family Entertainment Network or whatever disney subsidiary cable channel gets punted the games. You just hear the mild announcers and shoes squeaking in an empty gym.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DJExile posted:

A broadcast of a Brazilian basketball league was able to remove the ubiquitous shoe-squeaking sound through some sponsorship with ford.

It's really surreal seeing the clip. The footage starts about 1 minute into the video at the link.

The concept is bizarre to me
Half of the good of basketball as as spectator is its specific noises. I understand maybe brazilian namby pamby coup lovers would be put off by it, but guess what, they're burning down the rainforest, and I'm not burning anything at all

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Is it shocking or not shocking that Dave Portnoy thought that Colin Kaepernick was an arab who was kneeling for the national anthem because he supported ISIS?

The special-ed clickbait Bill Simmons ladies and gentlemen

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Someday you'll be young and you'll make a racially insensitive shirt, and you'll know the feeling they felt

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on what broadcasters should do if an idiot runs on the field during the game?

As long as he's naked, celebrate

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
He sounds like the world's most desperate sycophant on mike lombardi's podcast. Maybe this will give him some happiness.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I was watching on tv that night and I think that brawl is the most amazing thing I've ever seen on live tv. I was so psyched by the fight itself and by the fact that the Pacers had just thrown away the eastern conference title to Detroit by running into the stands.

Feel bad for Stephen Jackson though, he was just trying to defend his friend

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m confused, I watched the first episode of Untold Malice at the Palace on Netflix and it says another episode was supposed to come on the 17th. Well it’s two days later and it’s not showing a new episode. Is my Netflix screwed up or is something going on?

https://www.netflix.com/search?q=untold&jbv=81026437 I think this is the new edition of the UNTOLD: series, it's not about malice at the palace though

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
We all know the Olympics are going to be fantastic because the Chinese government is incredible

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I like the lympycks

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
People have been hating Bill Simmons for ages, not realizing that Bill's fade from the sports scene would see him replaced by a tiny evil version of himself, Dave Portnoy

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tadashi posted:

Bill Simmons' sins are pretty loving small on a scale of "0-to-Dave Portnoy".

that's why i called him a tiny evil version! because he's the bad guy!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
He annoyingly screamed his way to fame and fortune. He gave himself throat cancer but earned 20m in the process. I'm sure he feels like it's a great trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I will take this latest opportunity to once again mention that I have Dick Vitales autograph on a Hooters poster.

Nice