Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Little League stuff has to also be a huge thrill for the kids. I remember being stoked when they'd put a little league game in my area on public access. It seems like it just fills time on the networks when they'd be running replays of the previous nights games or some other worthless programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I unironically wish they would cover bar type sports in short stints. I'd have loved to have seen the recent Pinball championships during the day on ESPN2. Darts, pool, foosball, that kind of stuff. I'm talking about giving each a couple days where they can give overviews of the sport with some narratives the audience can play along with. Similar to how they covered poker. Nothing primetime, just filler during the a Tuesday morning/afternoon.

It's kind of like the Olympics. I have no interest in curling at all, but for a week or so I'm down with watching it. If they threw a foosball championship on, gave me some background stories of the competitors, I'd probably watch it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I like the FS1 version of SportsCenter. Sort of a throwback to the early 90's SportsCenters where they would show highlights from all the games.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Gus Johnson owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74BG0YFKUc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVEIeD91vIc

And of course "My name's Al Harrington and I get buckets".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWDJdcAbX4

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MaoistBanker posted:

Fox Sports Live is really enjoyable so far, although I have to wonder if the panel segments are going to become untenable since one has to wait sometimes up to 7-9 minutes to see highlights. If they decide that's the case, it's hardly going to be worth paying Andy Roddick the money to sit and chime in once an hour. However, the highlights ARE far superior to SportsCenter. They show everything, whether it be horse racing, UFC, La Liga matches - they even had a goddamned KHL (Russia's NHL run by criminals) fight highlight.

I'm actually digging the panel, and I'm not normally someone who likes that stuff. The other day they were talking about Jeter and retirement and it was actually a fascinating segment. Instead of a bunch of screaming hyperbole, they all gave their personal experiences and were thoroughly honest about it. I thought Roddick's examples of how he couldn't recover as fast as he used to was insightful.

Still not a show I'd go out of my way to see, but I'm finding myself tuning in at night when nothing is on and I'm cleaning up the house or catching up on work.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I like Olbermann's new show. Kind of a perfect format for him. He can be a blowhard but he's also intelligent and has a kind of humor a bit more suited for sports. He's also a good interviewer and I think can bring the best out of guests. It will be interested to see what happens when he digs his feet into an issue where ESPN has a relationship with the league. I know he's talked a little about concussions, but what would happen if he set his sights on the league and went after them on every show?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bomani Jones will have a role on the radio show as well but the release doesn't define what the role will be.

Can someone explain Bomani Jones to me? I know a lot of people like him and I haven't followed him much. I remember looking him up on Twitter one day and I thought his account was fake for a minute. It was him arguing with every person who disagreed with him, then doling out an insult, then bragging about how he owned the guy. It felt like something you'd see a teenager do.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought the Karolyi method was to pick based on performance over say the year instead of one event. I know the figure skating selections were scrutinized but I don't necessarily think that's a bad path to take. Wagner has a much better resume and is likely a better figure skater than the woman she was selected over. Choosing over one performance as opposed to the culmination of many seems unfair to me. Isn't the US one of the few countries that did it that way?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fox Sports Live is a great show if it had come out 10-15 years ago in this country. I just think the audience for hour-long sports wrap-up shows is diminishing. I like what I've seen from it but I think most people (including myself) find out scores and highlights online.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

The problem is that with the exception of a handful of the 30 for 30s, none of that stuff is a draw.

Yeah, I think Deadspin and some other writers have brought up the fact that a lot of people at ESPN hate the direction. But at the end of the day poo poo like First Take draws more viewers than the stuff most of us like.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That kind of sucks but is inevitable. I'll always remember watching Sammy's HR chase at college on the station.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Legler's greatest accomplishment is being completely unstoppable in NBA Live during the 90's.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One thing I read (I believe in the ESPN book) was about how they tell the analysts to take oppossing views. Kruk talked about how they were going to have a segment on who they think will win the NL Central. Everyone took the Cardinals and they made two of them change their picks to argue an oppossing view. Kruk had to pick the Pirates I guess and had to argue a point he didn't believe in. With that said, I don't always take the opinion of their analysts at face value.

Instead of having some former players/coaches giving random opinions on vague topics, I wish they'd use their expertise for something that requires expertise. Have a show that breaks down film and talks about changes teams made in games or over the course of a season. Show how a team defended a certain player well. There are some YouTube accounts that do this and are popular, I'm surprised ESPN doesn't put together a show like that for the NBA. It seems like it'd be cheap to produce too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What is the deal with Frank Caliendo? I switched to ESPN like 5 times throughout the day and he was on every single time. Did they turn the network over to him or something?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He's been sort of on the fringes of ESPN for awhile anyway. First Take is all he really has left and that show is as inconsequential as it gets. I doubt he's around much longer with the company.

The suspension is kind of silly. Either you don't want his opinion on the show and you fire him or you do want it and do nothing. I never understood what the point of a suspension was in these situations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there a chance the suspension was fake and he was just taking some vacation days? They used to do that all the time in the old shock jock days. Radio show would take a pre-planned vacation for a week and have the station claim they were suspended for a stunt they did.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He made Countdown better and we're probably going to get Stephen A Smith now.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It is a travesty that we don't have Gus Johnson calling NFL games each weekend.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think it's just time on the job. Carey seems a little tentative at times. I think he'll get much better as he gains experience doing this. He was always one of the better refs from back in the day.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think younger people who grew up with the internet their whole lives don't realize how big SportsCenter was in the 90's. You had to watch it to find out what was going on in sports. Tons of people woke up to the show every morning before school and work.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The E:60 piece on Ernie Johnson this week was incredible. If you haven't seen it, ESPN 2 is re-airing it at some ungodly hour this week and maybe you can DVR it.

Trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OboOBJy2xHY

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Speaking of the video game coverage.

https://twitter.com/BillWalton/status/592560243692863490

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wilbon begging to be friends with athletes has to be one of the more pathetic things going on at ESPN. Sad the company hires sycophants desperate for athlete acceptance instead of actual journalists.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

When you're the BBC and you have practically unlimited money, you should probably find a better way to express support for the English women's soccer team - currently in the quarterfinals at the World Cup - than what is pictured below:

This is amazing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ESPN not happy with Olbermann taking shots at the NFL I guess.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/espn-wants-keith-olbermann-quit-806220

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bob Costas was right

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is ESPN just dumping all their high priced talent to save money with subscribers cratering?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Didn't the Cubs just go to WBBM on a seven-year deal? Is there some kind of out clause?

Both are owned by CBS. Makes more sense with the opening to move them from the all-news station to the sports one.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I haven't watched much SVP SportsCenter but the "Bad Beats" segment they do is really good.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It really seems like ESPN got hosed on the MNF deal. If I remember right from the book, the guy the NFL used to negotiate the TV deal was a former ESPN employee with a grudge. Not only did he get them to pay a fortune, he followed it up by cutting the NBC deal and giving them the best games and killing their Primetime show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

soggybagel posted:

When you say book, do you mean Those Guys Have All The Fun? Is that worth a read?

Yes sorry. I think it's worth a read. Learned a lot about the company, it's history, and the people in it. The early stuff was actually fascinating to me too since I didn't know much about it.

Then again I love the oral history format for anything in the entertainment industry.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Somewhat off-topic but you'd probably also enjoy the Nickolodeon and MTV books, too. The MTV book is particularly nuts.

Which books are these? I'd be all over the MTV one.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's the problem with some of the oral histories, they are just too long. You end up having 4-5 different people telling similar versions of the same event. I skimmed a chunk of the SNL book for the same reason. Taking a look at that MTV book linked above and notice it's nearly 600 pages. I'm interested, just more 300-400 pages interested in the topic.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ESPN had a great intro theme for hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PReim0Axt4

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

I'm fairly certain the only reason she has that show is because Simmons tried to poach her from FS1. It forced them to do something with he beyond her YouTube channel. And good for Nolan, I think she's great and deserves all the success in the world.

I wonder if she would have been better off taking less money and going to Grantland. Short term financial hit but long term she'd have gotten much more exposure. Does FS1 even advertise her show?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mahoning posted:

Will any of this result in ESPN returning some major content to ABC? It's absolutely outrageous that the college football playoffs aren't on network TV.

I doubt it. I think the point of them getting it was so they could charge the high subscriber fees. Gives them enormous leverage over the cable companies.

Same reason the NFL started Thursday Night Football. It basically forced the cable companies to put NFL Network on their standard cable packages.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

For some reason I get the SEC Network in Chicago on the basic cable tier. They used to have the Pac-12 Network (which is depressing as gently caress) on it too but now that's only for the paid sports package.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I recommend listening to Richard Deitsch's media podcast with Jay Williams this week. The guy has an interesting story and is pretty open about his drug addiction, the motorcycle accident, suicide attempts, and wanting to punch Doug Gottlieb in the face.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wonder if WWE is looking at him for a job.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Simmons podcast with Al Michaels is phenomenal. He talks about OJ, Pete Rose and a bunch of other stuff regarding broadcasting.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rick posted:

I haven't heard it yet but if it's Simmons saying dumb poo poo about Chick Hearn, I won't, so thanks for the warning.

He doesn't say anything bad about him. It's just a joke because Chick and Boomer didn't get along with Michaels.

I also didn't know Al Michaels was so close with OJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also liked the revelation that he has never eaten a vegetable in his life.