Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

GutBomb posted:

Just gotta whine about something. I live in Salt Lake City which is Colorado Avalanche AND Vegas Silver Knights broadcast territory. I’m a fan of the Avalanche and because of the goofy broadcast rules in the NHL that games on national television are also simulcast on the local Regional Sports Network (this being Altitude Sports. Altitude and Comcast have had an ongoing dispute for a while now and Altitude isn’t carried on Comcast anywhere in the Avalanche broadcast territory but the nationally televised games are still blacked out on Comcast in those territories. I can’t subscribe to an NHL package to get those games since those packages black out the home territory teams so I’ve got no way to watch those games unless I pay an early termination fee to Comcast and switch to DirecTV. Altitude isn’t on Dish either.

Altitude is run by the owners of the Nuggets/Avalanche but have basically been asking for way too much money from cable operators to carry them and the operators balked when it came time to renew the contract.

This even applies in Denver. The vast majority of households in Denver have no access to Nuggets or Avalanche games, and with the NHL’s wild rules about nationally televised games being blacked out locally due to the local regional sports net simulcast that no one can access, it really sucks!

You forgot the best part they let the dish direct TV and Comcast deals all expire at the same time so they had no leverage whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The presentation on the NBA last night was top notch. The court looked really cool and I really liked Ian Eagle and Stan Van on the call for the first game. Reggie was ya know Reggie :sigh:

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anals of History posted:

That last one sounds like it might be a bit of Redzone for MLB. Don't think I'd mind having a host compress a handful of throwaway games into one stream of cool baseball plays.

I've wanted MLB Redzone for a long time, this is really interesting.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Its amazing how much leverage Football in general has.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I desperately want him to replace Mark Jackson.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

EJ working all year now

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

They broke out the blazers for Monday night football, toss is a bone and give us the Wide World of Sports intro this week.

While we're at it we as a society need to bring back the ESPN National Hockey Night theme song and the old Fox baseball theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PReim0Axt4

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 28, 2020

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Also Dave Chang is one of the only good parts about the Ringer so theres that.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

soggybagel posted:

You guys are getting overly concerned with the map logo placement...hahah.

Also Bally Sport just sounds stupid. Or is that just me? Also watching Fox Sports North the other day every commercial break they kept pumping this Sinclair National News program that had a graphics package that looked like it was from iMovie.

It sounds like a fitness club

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

With All Elite Wrestling pulling decent ratings on Wednesday and NBA Blocked up on Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm trying to figure out where the NHL goes. TBS maybe?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

It's because hate shares drive #engagement

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Time to begin year 3 of no avalanche or denver nuggets on Comcast or Dish.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I would watch the hell out of NFL caliber players doing 7 on 7 flag football out of pads.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Good on him for listening to acutal queer peoples pain, turn that into action for a long while without seeking attention for it and I might change my mind.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

This sucks, Arlo White was a great commentator but yeah believe people when they say what they are.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

This is just like the World Cup in Qatar making money is not its primary function, it'd be nice if it did but it in no way has to.

But I'm wondering whose gonna broadcast this. I'm guessing the PGA went to its broadcasting partners and said Do not broadcast this or else. I don't know who would rock the boat enough to do it.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 7, 2022

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

The audience for PGA tour content/advertising probably punches above its size in terms of business and political influence, and as was said, the juxtaposition of the Saudi "brand" with the PGA and other "respectable" sporting institutions is the primary benefit.

Yeah the Golf Channel gets tiny ratings but the audience is rich as gently caress so it stays on the air with a lot of NBC muscle behind it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The big issue with all the TV networks fracturing to individual owners is you're giving A TON of leverage to the cable companies at that point. Ask anyone in Denver with Altitude and Comcast how thats working out for them. With Ballys and or Root atleast you have a big group of markets to negotiate carriage stuff

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/1625271469281538049 So this might be a thing, NBC is great about the Premier League but was lovely with the NHL. I'm wondering which section of TV rights they're gonna carve out ESPN's or Turners?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Mike_V posted:

Zaslav has been slashing spending across WBD and I think he said they don't need the NBA if the league will charge astronomical rates, so I imagine that's where

If they did why'd they reup all the expensive contracts for Inside?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Worst case scenario is that about half the teams in baseball go bankrupt.

And then a bunch of other RSN's go bust. Altitude is the canary in the coal mine of all this.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

The NHL did something actually smart for their all-star game and realized that since no one's going to play a real game with contact and defence anyways, they play a 3-on-3 ruleset that encourages all rushes and scoring with minimal defence. Like if the NFL went 7-on-7 flag and was just QBs throwing bombs and dudes doing cool jukes all day.

It's not the same game like baseball's but it's at least a fun facsimile that emphasizes the cool bits people want to watch and for the most part, the bits that players have fun with and can do without much risk. It's not perfect and people still half rear end it, but at least they are trying something different than pretending it's a real game obviously doesn't work.

Yeah I think there should be a 3 on 3 tournament but with NBA Scoring rules. Give the top team 500k and 500k to charity or someshit.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Honestly I think that's a huge issue for these hypothetical RSN replacement streaming service things. They not only got carriage fees from your mom who never watched they got revenue for the summer or the winter respectively when none of their really expensive programming was on.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Everyone is saying in the NBA about how the new broadcast deal is going to inject a ton of money into the league but I'm wondering if it actually will, the only place I think of that might be desperate enough to pay huge would be NBC as they don't have a weekly crown jewel thing. If NBC Sports still existed, I'd be more inclined to think so.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I don't know why you fire Dan Lebotard to go and get more expensive and worse Dan LeBotard.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still don't understand why they insisted on a TV deal. The whole reason this league exists is to launder blood money, not actually make it profitable. There's no way in hell it's profitable if they are paying some of these golfers hundreds of millions of dollars.

The reason Liv exists is so that rich people think of Saudi Arabia as oh yeah the guys who sponsor the thing Phil Mickelson is in and not those dudes who dismembered a journalist. It needs broadcast into the home to do that

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MLB realizing its way easier to carve and monetize its shrinking fanbase then try and grow it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

We just got to the climax of the documentary: making GBS threads on the '08 reboot.

Probably also means we're due for a new run during this next writers strike.

I watched a little bit of the reboot on youtube last week god it was awful.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Dr_Strangelove posted:

What the hell is the PGA’s strategy here? Is it that the Saudis have unlimited funds and they want access to the money? Do they figure that eventually they’ll wear down the PGA, losses be damned?

I need help with this one.

Yes it was always about the money and they got spooked as people jumped ship and the Saudis didn't seem to be getting bored.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I am going to watch the absolute poo poo out of this.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Oh no, she’s gonna chud

Didn't she already do that?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Honestly those two teams look really good for the season

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Honestly this seems so stupid that it goes all the way around and becomes amazing.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm amazed that ESPN didn't yank this game into primetime.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh I thought there was some actual news but it’s just a podcaster guessing like they’ve been doing for a year now

It’s right around the corner I swear!

The only person to trust on poo poo re the business side of wrestling is Brandon Thurson of Wrestlenomics.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Lockback posted:

A lot are clearly canned but you probably shouldn't admit it.

Yeah, like I knew a lot of that sorta sideline reporting was some degree of fake but you don't come out and say it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

That Kissinger thing is rich guy brain poisoning, Kissinger's whole thing was making the world "safe" for capitalism. In the rich guy circles that Silver runs in that is an unequivocally good thing so of course he would talk about this great diplomat who just passed away instead of ya know a genocidal lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You should ping me if they get that good. I've stopped following them, and my teammates at work seem to be doing the same. Pretty sad, given how so many of us were invested in the Timbers before the management were revealed to be inveterate shitweasels.

Lapsed Colorado Rapids fan here, Is it better to have inveterate shitweasels or an owner who I legit thinks most of the time forgets he has an MLS team?