Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Keyshawn Johnnson got arrested for domestic violence:

quote:

Law enforcement officials told TMZ that things allegedly got physical, which ended in Johnson supposedly smashing the phone of his girlfriend, cutting her hand in the process.

That confrontation lead to Johnson being arrested for misdemeanor domestic battery and booked. The former USC Trojan star posted the $20,000 bond and is out on bail.

He could get canned over this. ESPN could easily find a recently retired player who's a bigger name to fill his shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can I be real here?

I'm watching the NBA Finals (mainly so I can have something to talk about with a friendly co-worker tomorrow), and am I incorrect for feeling that Breen/Van Gundy/Jackson are, well, terrible?

I feel sometimes it wanders into Sports Talk Radio-level type of in-game discussion, and it gets rather aggravating.

Am I incorrect on not really finding them very good?

I don't know why they don't have Tirico and Brown calling these games. Breen is pretty good and Van Gundy is alright but I think the former work better and, yes, Mark Jackson is awful.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Its useful in that I record SVP & Russillo so if there's nothing on at night during the week I'll just have it on in the background.

So, yeah, ESPN news is the pancreas of ESPN's networks.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Buck and Aikman are loud and annoying but at least they don't lull me to sleep. Nantz and Simms are the worst.

Dutchy posted:

The PBP guy I hate is Thom Brennaman. To me, Buck isn't even in the same universe when it comes to crappy announcers with famous sportscaster dads.

This. Thom Brennaman is slow and dull and mispronounces names so often its mind blowing.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'd put Whitlock as the front runner to fill the spot.

God help us all.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

They're both from Maryland, Van Pelt does an exaggerated Baltimore accent it and makes Timmy completely lose his poo poo in the most adorable way every single time. It was a long running bit on SVP's radio show.

It was the best.

http://deadspin.com/supercut-scott-van-pelt-making-tim-kurkjian-giggle-lik-1446431617

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Wait the playoff games are today

huh

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

In the NFL N/V thread but worth posting here: http://thebiglead.com/2016/04/05/twitter-will-stream-nfl-thursday-night-football-games/

quote:

The NFL is coming to Twitter according to Bloomberg. It was reported this morning that Twitter won the bidding for NFL Thursday Night Football games. The social media site beat Verizon, Yahoo!, Amazon and Facebook for the online rights.

As Bloomberg points out, this is the NFL’s way to reach cord-cutters. On top of that, selling ads around NFL games could be a valuable way for Twitter to actually make money without implementing some insane pay-to-tweet system.

What unholy sum did Twitter pay to beat out Amazon AND Verizon.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/fs1otoole/status/736518821410799617?s=09

Delicious.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

tenspott posted:

LOL they admit they understand it was all an act and are still salty about it. What bitches.

Its got to be grating. Imagine how often they get asked about him by everyone they know.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

LordPants posted:

My sole source of NFL news and views were his Monday Radio shows with the recap with the guy from the NFL network (Maske?) and then the Jaws prediction show on thursday.

I'm sad that I can't do that again this season. :(

He'll probably still do that on the podcast.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

I think it's a combination of market saturation exacerbated by a steadily decreasing quality of play

Is it that the quality is decreasing or we're aware of all the bad football more than ever? 2/3s of the league has always been mediocre and bad its just that we didn't have as easy access to see it with sunday ticket and red zone and all the videos, gifs and stats that are readily available online and on television.

There's a similar notion with the NBA with people saying the Warriors are bad for the league and parity. Its always been a top heavy league but now that we have access to more games than ever we want more compelling teams to watch during the season.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Robnoxious posted:

Millennials care not about professional sports

I care not for this claim

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Spoeank posted:

They need to get over their allergy to eastern time zone games not playing at 1 pm local time and it would go a long way

They want the slot with less games, 4 pm EST, to have the bigger markets playing to maximize numbers. A solution could be to have less games at 1pm and move the matchups there, but I'm guessing less people are watching earlier in the day?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

That is a terrible idea and I'm for it.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Giants are Henry Hill

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

So is that dude's real name "Toucher?" Tough break.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

It seems really rare though, I mean there are like 800 people who do that job and most of them add nothing of interest at all to a broadcast.

If there's an injury on the field its their job to go over and get an update on the player's status. If there's some other kind of development on or near the field they probably have to be on top of that too. It doesn't make the broadcast more exciting but its stuff we've become accustomed to getting and they have to put in the legwork to get it.

Cash Monet fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 24, 2017

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

They could've at least gone with "military" or something ffs

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

EvanTH posted:

In a just world he would be emasculated, disemboweled, beheaded and quartered

You can check the first one off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmki46P1JBY

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Hockles posted:

That necklace isn't something a person usually wears outside of the bedroom...

Maybe she forgot to take it off.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Never mind that poo poo, here comes Russillo.

http://deadspin.com/espn-radio-host-ryen-russillo-arrested-in-wyoming-for-m-1798347475

quote:

Two people were asleep in the condo when they heard someone come in. They didn’t know the man and asked him to leave because he was drunk, according to reports. Police arrived a few minutes later.

“Occupants pointed the suspect out who was found in a bedroom,” Jackson Police Lt. Roger Schultz said.

Russillo, of West Hartford, Connecticut, reportedly had bloodshot eyes and slurred speech.

“He couldn’t coherently answer any questions,” Schultz said.

:lol:

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I think Greg McElroy is loving fantastic as a color guy.

I caught him on the Louisville/UNC game and he's super polished for a guy that can't have been at it for a long time.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/ianistweeting/status/907801403795443712

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

It says she said "its a fireable offense" not "she should be fired", which is still petty but not quite the same.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Stick To Sports is a lovely retort the vast majority of the time but this is the case for it. The TV president has picked a fight with your network and now people will you pick a side in the culture war.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

Stick to Sports is generally Stick to sports unless it's something I agree with.

No one told JJ. Watt to stick to sports when he raised money for Hurricane relief(not saying it's a bad thing)

No one tells the NFL to stick to sports when they make comical amounts of money from the Breast Cancer "awareness" bullshit.

I meant with sports media.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Bill Barber posted:

She's an individual citizen. She didn't make any of these statements during ESPN airtime. She's entitled to her beliefs and the ability to express them.

My point is that I get why a broadcaster would want to "stick to sports".

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Stick to the twitter vids that filter out Bayless.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

MourningView posted:

Barkley loving sucks, stop putting someone on TV who has actively hated the product for at least like half a decade. He has never had anything interesting to say about basketball and now he's not even fun because teams winning by doing something he was lovely at turned him into a bitter old man.

Bitter old men are great for TV. More bitter old men. Their tears give me sustenance.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

This is pretty knee jerk.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Dexo posted:

lmao

Like dog, They should have just thrown money at PFT and Big Cat to buy them out of their contracts(if they have contracts with Barstooll)

They're picky with paying people, especially if they're only project was a once a week ESPN2 show at 1 am.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'm now wondering how many women within the company gave hell about this. ESPN has a history with misogyny already and then you bring Barstool in. Yeesh.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I was really hoping Cain wasn't going to slide into that spot but welp

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Incoming new york times story.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

/\
Yeah, I hate to be cynical but you're probably right

That sucks. The pressure of that position has to something else.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder how many people see this as obsolete because of Redzone.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

What about the Kremlin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Easy to clear the bar set by last year!