Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

MourningView posted:

Eh, they weren't going to ignore that potential revenue stream forever. I get why people don't like it but I imagine they'll get over it pretty quickly. At some point I'm sure people were mad about ads all over the court too, but with time everyone stopped noticing. It'll just become part of basketball. Eventually only the crotchety old dudes who get mad about rap music and t-shirt cannons will still be complaining and everyone else will just shrug.

Counterpoint: ads on jerseys are tacky and lame and it's normal to hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

twice referred to it as "the Wimbledon Championships" when you absolutely should call it "the Championships, Wimbledon"

I'm genuinely glad that he didn't call it "the Championships, Wimbledon" because that would be unbelievably pretentious.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

DJExile posted:

The NFL has no reason to start a farm league up, the NCAA is the best one they could ever ask for.

While this has certainly been true historically, I think it might be changing. Fewer and fewer schools run pro-style offenses and there have been a few NFL coaches and executives grousing publicly in recent months about how poorly offenses like the spread prepare college QBs for the NFL (this also plainly reveals their expectation that the NCAA's priority ought to be preparing NFL athletes rather than winning their own games).

If that trend continues I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the NFL would take steps to begin grooming their own QB prospects. Though I suppose it's doubtful that would take the form of a full blown farm league right out of the gate.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Millenials are anyone younger than you that you don't like.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

If Mike Wilbon doesn't qualify as a big ego personality then no one does.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Phil Chenier, the voice of Wizards basketball for the last 33 years is out at the end of the season :smith:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Dexo posted:

Wilbon is also annoying because he is ESPN's go to for "How people in Chicago feel about X"

And he is so cosmically disconnected from anything chicago sports nowadays.

I will never forgive Michael Wilbon for the shameful way he blamed Sean Taylor for his own death. That the intervening years have turned him into a crotchety old man yelling at clouds, analytics and DC sports fans has done nothing to change that opinion.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

MourningView posted:

The only thing it has that I really want to watch is some FCS and midmajor football and man actually paying for Sun Belt football is a big ask, even as perhaps the world's biggest fan of the Sun Belt who did not actually attend school there

Most teams in the CAA stream their games online for free. So you can watch a bunch of school-produced FCS broadcasts with comically low production values and students in the broadcast booth. I find it charming, but ymmv.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

MourningView posted:

Would prefer a real conference like the Valley but I would definitely watch this if the games were on a Tuesday or something

They also all get archived to watch on-demand so you can actually do just that. And JMU will win the natty again this year :colbert:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Lots of Nats fans over the age of 50 love Ray Knight and will be sad to see him go but I have never understood the appeal. Sounds like the right choice if he's going around getting into fights with coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Two thoughts:

1. Wilbon's transformation into an old man yelling at clouds is complete and has been for a long time. This is some bottom tier hot-takery.
2. The trend of Mets fans seeking out dissenting CY votes to be bothered by is strange to me. deGrom won! Fairly, deservedly and overwhelmingly! Who cares what a San Diegan septuagenerian and a cranky old man from Chicago think about pitcher wins.